CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

The Xbox one X should stay as cutting that makes no sense. That’s still a console that can handle games at 4K and shit. It’s not out dated in terms of console capability. What M$ needs to do is cancel Xbox one and original S because that holds the game back. Lower end PCs will be able to play infinite because pc can reduce graphical shit.  But console games cannot.

The Xbox has thrown away every advantage that made it desirable.  Have to install games, have to download day 1 updates, have to make sure your hardware is supported, have to compete with superior input devices (scuf or mkb crossplay), have to upgrade frequently, have to wade through clunky GUIs.  Can someone explain what the point of an Xbox is anymore?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The Xbox has thrown away every advantage that made it desirable.  Have to install games, have to download day 1 updates, have to make sure your hardware is supported, have to compete with superior input devices (scuf or mkb crossplay), have to upgrade frequently, have to wade through clunky GUIs.  Can someone explain what the point of an Xbox is anymore?  

Absolutely nothing. Xbox doesn’t even have true exclusives atm. Only reason people would get one is because they can’t afford to build a pc, so They get the Xbox. But Sony and Nintendo are the guys with true exclusivesv

54 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Can someone explain what the point of an Xbox is anymore?  

More affordable, all in one UI, pick up and play capacity, easy to setup, Game Pass. That's about it.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

More affordable, all in one UI, pick up and play capacity, easy to setup, Game Pass. That's about it.

"More affordable" = Barely. The extra few hundred is worth it anyway for both the quality and longevity. Modern consoles are low-end PCs without all the benefits of also being a PC. Nowadays people purchase the same peripherals no matter the platform bar a mouse and keyboard too.

"All-in-one UI" = This is basically a non-issue, especially since the Xbox UI is janky garbo. The most you'd have to do is swap launchers for certain games, which barely matters since it's both easy and uncommon due to the majority of the time you'll be on Steam. The desktop is your all-in-one UI.

"Pick-up and play capacity" = Never really understood this one. Boot times are almost identical with PCs having the potential to boot faster. My PC has Windows on a basic hard disc and either boots up around the same time or faster than my One X. SSDs are very common nowadays and no doubt provide way faster boot and general load times. After that you just go to your library or click on your desktop icons.

"Easy to setup" = Also never really got this one. I could understand if you're building it yourself or you commonly travel and want to bring your system, but past that general sit-down play is pretty much the same. If you couch game casually and want to play on a giant flat screen then sure a console is easier to squeeze somewhere and navigate with a gamepad. If you play on a monitor and or play sitting up close at a desk or something there is no excuse. You plug in the same amount of shit.

"Game Pass" = I guess. This one is mainly preference though in all honesty I prefer Steam sales. Bigger library and you actually own what you buy no matter what.

I could make this post 3x longer to go over all the advantages but we all know that stuff by now.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

"More affordable" = Barely. The extra few hundred is worth it anyway for both the quality and longevity. Modern consoles are low-end PCs without all the benefits of also being a PC. Nowadays people purchase the same peripherals no matter the platform bar a mouse and keyboard too.

"All-in-one UI" = This is basically a non-issue, especially since the Xbox UI is janky garbo. The most you'd have to do is swap launchers for certain games, which barely matters since it's both easy and uncommon due to the majority of the time you'll be on Steam. The desktop is your all-in-one UI.

"Pick-up and play capacity" = Never really understood this one. Boot times are almost identical with PCs having the potential to boot faster. My PC has Windows on a basic hard disc and either boots up around the same time or faster than my One X. SSDs are very common nowadays and no doubt provide way faster boot and general load times. After that you just go to your library or click on your desktop icons.

"Easy to setup" = Also never really got this one. I could understand if you're building it yourself or you commonly travel and want to bring your system, but past that general sit-down play is pretty much the same. If you couch game casually and want to play on a giant flat screen then sure a console is easier to squeeze somewhere and navigate with a gamepad. If you play on a monitor and or play sitting up close at a desk or something there is no excuse. You plug in the same amount of shit.

"Game Pass" = I guess. This one is mainly preference though in all honesty I prefer Steam sales. Bigger library and you actually own what you buy no matter what.

I could make this post 3x longer to go over all the advantages but we all know that stuff by now.

Building and booting a pc is wayyyyyy more involved than buying an xbox and bringing it home. It really is two completely different experiences. It's not about load times, it's about plugging in a literal box and playing a game 5 minutes later, while being portable. The only thing that comes close would be a mini-itx pc and that's really not a great idea for a new builder, while at the same time, is still much more delicate than an xbox to move around (while being more expensive)

And pre-builts are complete ripoffs, so you're still getting a low end pc if you want to pay less than a grand to skip the process of building a pc. And, windows 10 being easier to use than an xbox? I basically disagree with all of this. None one of this is as simple as you've made it sound to be honest

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, Xandrith said:

And pre-builts are complete ripoffs, so you're still getting a low end pc if you want to pay less than a grand to skip the process of building a pc.

Does this not hold true for consoles?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Sitri said:

Actually, no. Companies take huge losses on consoles to sell them at a reasonable price. It's an investment in the future for the sake of building a platform from which they can make their money back and much more. On the other hand, custom pc builders need to make a profit on every sale, because they won't make any money off the build once it's in the wild.

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, Sitri said:

Not really. For the most part console releases are usually at the cutting edge of tech for the price. The 360 was a beast in 2005 tech and the series X seems to be continuing the tradition with a comparable PC costing 1000 plus. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Xandrith said:

Actually, no. Companies take huge losses on consoles to sell them at a reasonable price. It's an investment in the future for the sake of building a platform from which they can make their money back and much more. On the other hand, custom pc builders need to make a profit on every sale, because they won't make any money off the build once it's in the wild.

When you go for a console, you're paying a smaller initial investment and are getting mediocre hardware that is ready out of the box in return. Like a prebuilt.

5 minutes ago, Sitri said:

When you go for a console, you're paying a smaller initial investment and are getting mediocre hardware that is ready out of the box in return. Like a prebuilt.

Mediocre? That's just not true. They sell at a loss BECAUSE the specs are good, for the sake of the platform. The new specs are legit, and if it's around $500 new it's literally hundreds less than the parts would be worth if you built a pc to match. Tech youtubers have done it, and it takes around a thousand dollars to recreate. That, and way more work. 

• Like (+1) 4

I was looking for a PC before I caved in and got an XB1, and if the situation with GPU/DDR4 prices is still anywhere near the same, then price is an important bonus in favor of the last generation consoles. 

That being said, I highly recommend everyone who wants to play games just bite the bullet and save up to get a PC. My XB1 has caused me far more frustration and annoyance than any other piece of hardware or software that I've ever owned. 

The fucking unbearably laggy UI and general slowness to the console (that makes it feel at times like an offbrand ripoff of an actual brand) alone should be enough to not buy this thing. Let alone constant updates, 30FPS on most games, and crashing. 

Seriously, just save up for a PC instead. 

The XSX seems to be better but you have so much more control with a PC that I still suggest you just get one of those instead, even if you're losing out on specs. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

I was looking for a PC before I caved in and got an XB1, and if the situation with GPU/DDR4 prices is still anywhere near the same, then price is an important bonus in favor of the last generation consoles. 

That being said, I highly recommend everyone who wants to play games just bite the bullet and save up to get a PC. My XB1 has caused me far more frustration and annoyance than any other piece of hardware or software that I've ever owned. 

The fucking unbearably laggy UI and general slowness to the console (that makes it feel at times like an offbrand ripoff of an actual brand) alone should be enough to not buy this thing. Let alone constant updates, 30FPS on most games, and crashing. 

Seriously, just save up for a PC instead. 

The XSX seems to be better but you have so much more control with a PC that I still suggest you just get one of those instead, even if you're losing out on specs. 

I agree, a PC is a good investment, but it's not like there's no downside, or no upside to a console.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

People are underestimating how annoying PCs are. Buying a console is guaranteeing "I can play every game on this box without issue for the next several years". Meanwhile on PC, certain games don't work or have bugs if you have a one part over another, despite the fact that your part may be technically better.

• Like (+1) 4

The last gen consoles we're low end compared to PCs right off the bat, but that's abnormal.  They were cheaping out.  More often console generations are faster compared to similarly priced PCs right at launch, then of course get leapfrogged during the generation.  I think the concept of high end and low end is pretty skewed for PC purists.  For equivalent next gen performance on pc you'll need to spend as much on just the graphics card compared to the entire console.  The day the next consoles come out they will be faster than the vast majority of PC gamers machines.  Thats not low end.

Im not shitting on either one here, I play both.  Console vs PC is a perpetual state of tick tock so I find these generally not-objective debates kind of funny.

• Like (+1) 1

There are no real consoles anymore, except maybe switch. Just remember how easy it was to play on NES, PSX, Gameboy...

Games are so advanced now, yet you can't play local split screen. Holy shit, I was playing Quake 2 on 4 player split screen, it doesn't even seems real thinking about it now.

Something went really wrong with consoles...

24 minutes ago, Silos said:

People are underestimating how annoying PCs are. Buying a console is guaranteeing "I can play every game on this box without issue for the next several years". Meanwhile on PC, certain games don't work or have bugs if you have a one part over another, despite the fact that your part may be technically better.

Not gonna lie I've never had this problem. The only time there are issues is if your PC is aging out of relevance or if you for some reason buy the absolute bleeding edge in hardware before there is solid driver support. If you stick to decent and relevant builds you won't have those problems. The real problems with PC gaming are related to user error. 

The biggest difference is everything else you can do with a PC when you close the game you're playing anyways. There's no reason to own the next Xbox if you can build and maintain a PC competently. 

• Like (+1) 3

I've been running the same 900$ build since 2015 with no upgrades and can still play most things at max settings. Dedicating half a day's worth of work to the big boy equivalent of a Lego set is worth the near flawless 5+ year return. Better everything, no subscriptions, every plus of a PC. Stop wasting money and invest you cowards.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

Not gonna lie I've never had this problem. The only time there are issues is if your PC is aging out of relevance or if you for some reason buy the absolute bleeding edge in hardware before there is solid driver support. If you stick to decent and relevant builds you won't have those problems. The real problems with PC gaming are related to user error. 

The biggest difference is everything else you can do with a PC when you close the game you're playing anyways. There's no reason to own the next Xbox if you can build and maintain a PC competently. 

Fair enough if you've had good experiences. For me, H5 PC has a weird blue flicker on Coliseum where my friends have it run perfectly fine. I've bought games before that had poor optimization (Rise of the Triad 2013) that I never thought to look up beforehand and had it chug. In terms of my friends, one can run Horizon's port perfectly fine while the other has issues, meanwhile me on PS4 has no issues and never even had to question it. Even consoles can have an MCC, but in my experience playing PC I've had far more troubleshooting work for that than I ever had on a console.

I strongly agree with what you said at the end though. If you are comfortable learning the ins and outs of PCs and are willing to dedicate the time, there's not really a reason to own an Xbox especially with all of the exclusives coming to PC.

3 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

I've been running the same 900$ build since 2015 with no upgrades and can still play most things at max settings. Dedicating half a day's worth of work to the big boy equivalent of a Lego set is worth the near flawless 5+ year return. Better everything, no subscriptions, every plus of a PC. Stop wasting money and invest you cowards.

Don't get me wrong, I think to a nerdy crowd like maybe the general audience of a competitive video game forum it could make a lot of sense. But to the people who buy between zero and two games a year (like most console owners) it makes almost no sense to invest that much time into building a PC.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll just say, PS4 has some nice exclusives and sometimes PC ports are hot garbage: Look at RDR2 or Horizon Zero Dawn.

• Like (+1) 3

How do you feel about multiple hardware revisions within the same console generation?  Good because new games can look better or bad because new games are now optimized for hardware that not everyone has?  

48 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

Well that's not really a metric. You can play max settings on any system, but I highly doubt you're getting 60 fps with that system, in fact I can pretty much say for sure that you don't based on what you said here about the time period and money

Also gamepass is an incredible value, kind of insane if you play multiple games and consider the new games that will come out for it

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Boyo said:

How do you feel about multiple hardware revisions within the same console generation?  Good because new games can look better or bad because new games are now optimized for hardware that not everyone has?  

Always hated it. They never were a thing back in the day really. I mean you had "slim" versions and what not but not completely new, more powerful consoles every like 1 or 2 years. i feel like it's milking consumers. The Xbox One should have been the Xbox One X hardware wise, or at least a lot closer.

Interested what other people think though, I could see some potential arguments for it.

EDIT: Oh and not to mention, isn't infinite's development struggles in part because it had to run on the 2013 Xbox? Yeah, you get problems like that now. Nice.