CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

17 hours ago, Exidrion said:

I'm kind of sad. We have been the laughing stock of gaming/esports for so long. I just heard Shroud say "Halo? DELAYED. Forever." and it just hit home. 5 years and all we get is 5 minutes of actual gameplay, mass criticism of 343 as a workplace, last gen graphics somehow chosen to be the first thing shown in this 5 year wait, 343 employees embracing being laughed at and now a nebulous "delayed until 2021". I was legitimately thinking we could be back to what we once were, but thus far the only optimistic thing i can see is that multiplayer will be free to play. Probably won't be having any LANs for a year to 1.5 years at the least.

I sympathies with them re: covid, but I just don't buy it as an excuse for what we've seen so far.

343 is lucky Halo sold okay-ish because of the hype and its past, you cannot tell me stuff has not been going down hill even more after Halo 4 (and yeah I don't like Halo 4 but it was an okay product compared to MCC and H5) - it's just a series dragging on at this point, that's why many people here say they have 0 expectations.
In the right hands 5 years of development and half a billion dollar funding would have had insane potential, all signs right now point towards the money getting wasted because they didn't properly organize the project and jumped between engines. Seems like now they are desperately trying to polish what they got, especially after the initial reaction of the fanbase, probably why the delay happened but it doesn't guarantee development won't be a mess until actual release.

16 hours ago, Ethereal Nights said:

The second is the graphics. When did this forum become ridden with casuals? Seriously? That's not elitism either. I'm just confused as to why the graphics have been leading the discussion HERE of all places. The only part of the graphics we should care about are the parts that affect visual feedback for the player. Whether it looks last gen, this gen, next gen, or whatever, it doesn't matter. Or at least it shouldn't to people on this forum. Oh no, the lighting looks flat. How tragic.

This is not about "huehue you care about graphics? fkn casul", it's the fact that 5 years and half a billion produces something that looks worse than H5, this might give you an idea what's happening internally and for all I know that could effect gameplay just about the same way as graphics.
Don't forget H5 is a shooter with aiming issues, something that you have to 100% get right if you want to look in the mirror and want to say "we are an FPS title", if you fail so bad with graphics and jumped engines there is no reason to not assume the codebase is a hot mess and the game is a frankenstein monster of issues getting hack-fixed by part time coders, especially when people who worked at 343 also said it.
So yeah maybe this is why the graphics matter a whole lot more than you would think, just a little something to get the brain working.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Apparently in the recent Animal Talking podcast, Phil Spencer mentioned that MS/343 did briefly discuss shipping the game in parts (SP only, then MP later etc) before they finally decided to just delay it all. Given we've seen SP gameplay but haven't heard shit about MP, I'm willing to put money on a major issue being an MP mode that they really want to pull off but are struggling to as a result of the X1 holding it back (Say like, they wanted some sort of 50 vs 50 mode, the X1 would be one hell of a hurdle to overcome to pull that off.)

Ehh.... MCC PC is getting nice support and they're adding a lot of fan requested stuff as they do it, like Reach, updated Forge, ODST FF, new customisation for old games etc. I really liked Halo 5 and feel that my old views on that game were more or less shaped by the negative circle-jerking in this place, its actually probably one of my favourite Halo games for MP, definitely top 3.

And 343 choosing to delay Infinite is a sign that they've actually gotten better, because they've recognized that the game isn't ready, and are delaying to ensure that it is (especially since they could've launched with mising features and used the Covid excuse and everyone would've eaten it up.) MCC and Halo 5 both should've been delayed as they either shipped broken or lacking content.

I don't know, its hard to be like "number company bad, they rushed MCC and it was broken they should've delayed until it was ready and they're also bad because Infinite isn't ready and they're delaying it"

It's been 13 years guys, if you're still holding out hope for a new classic Halo you need to move on. The franchise has been modernized Halo for as long as it was OG Trilogy Halo. It's not going to happen again, you need to make peace with that and go into the next games as a completely different franchise or just accept it and move onto new things. I dunno, I felt a lot happier when I made this realization and went into Infinite open minded, hell, I actually liked the look of the gameplay. 

Shoutout to Animal Talking, really cool podcast.

I'm with you about a lot of things you mention. I'm still very anti-MCC as a Halo 1 fan, the shooting still isn't right and to my knowledge the last person to submit a ticket got a response saying it was already fixed, after that I stopped paying attention to MCC completely. You're correct though, the amount of extra stuff that's been added seems to be giving them general favor. In terms of Halo 5, I agree it's top three for me. Halo 1 is my favorite, but Halo 2 and Halo 5 are neck and neck for my second favorite at least in terms of the competitive settings.

1 hour ago, JordanB said:

For MS to delay Halo, it's gotta be 6-12 months IMO. If they felt the full game could be released in Q1 2021 they would probably just rush the game and finish it with patches. 

SP and MP could be released separately, but it seems MS is really committed to releasing a full complete game vs releasing a broken game and then fixing with patches. I'd still bet the entire game releases together. Maybe a Q2 beta with a Q3 or Q4 release. 

If it's true Infinite is supposed to give us years of content and not just be another Halo game where another sequel comes 3 years later... It's very vital this game releases complete. You can't give a game 5-10 years of support if the launch is shit and everyone abandons it.

This is what I'm thinking. I don't want to get into console war debates, but I think it's fair to say on day one Halo Infinite was THE game you would buy with the Series X. If I had to guess, there's a serious issue with this game where it would do so much brand damage for it to release, it's better to push people to your competitors during a console launch than actually release it. If it was a normal Halo release, fine a delay could mean a few months or even a few weeks. But for a console to launch without a Halo game that you've hyped up for years?

I could be wrong and maybe Microsoft doesn't actually care that much about Series X sales or perhaps they're sitting on some other game they'll announce as a launch title that'll be as big of a deal as Halo, or maybe they looked at the PS5 launch lineup and thought they looked kind of meh as well and figured they could afford the delay without hurting holiday sales too much. They're also pushing game pass quite heavily and seem to think that'll be their main revenue for the future. So I don't want to say it's a for sure doomed thing, but this isn't a normal delay either.

• Like (+1) 1

This is pretty interesting...

https://www.vg247.com/2020/08/13/halo-infinite-split-into-different-parts/

Have to say I agree with the choice. However appealing it might sound to get *something* over *nothing*, it's just not the right move for keeping interest in the game. If people have already moved on when big features of the game come along (*ahem* H5 Forge), it's just going to make it way less likely people actually use them.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Silos said:

I could be wrong and maybe Microsoft doesn't actually care that much about Series X sales or perhaps they're sitting on some other game they'll announce as a launch title that'll be as big of a deal as Halo, or maybe they looked at the PS5 launch lineup and thought they looked kind of meh as well and figured they could afford the delay without hurting holiday sales too much. They're also pushing game pass quite heavily and seem to think that'll be their main revenue for the future. So I don't want to say it's a for sure doomed thing, but this isn't a normal delay either.

yeah for me neither console has a must have game at this point, and it makes me wonder why buy either? at least xbox has smart delivery and gamepass so i dont have the fear of missing out on new games. and from MS perspective, i feel that xcloud and game pass are what they want to push and the console is just a nice cherry on top. the delay suck, hopefully heads at 343 will finally roll, but MS is probably gonna rake in the money and "win" this generation with game pass and mobile market share

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Silos said:

This is what I'm thinking. I don't want to get into console war debates, but I think it's fair to say on day one Halo Infinite was THE game you would buy with the Series X. If I had to guess, there's a serious issue with this game where it would do so much brand damage for it to release, it's better to push people to your competitors during a console launch than actually release it. If it was a normal Halo release, fine a delay could mean a few months or even a few weeks. But for a console to launch without a Halo game that you've hyped up for years?

The biggest reason I'd consider upgrading is for the faster loading times. It would be so nice to not have a campaign mission in MCC take 50 seconds to load (especially when I did my SLASO runs). Or be able to switch to a different game without the 3 minute COD/Fortnite boot up screen every time. Games and GP are great but it's all available on current gen.

If not for being in a sucky financial situation with COVID I'd probably still get XSX, if not on launch day maybe after the holidays. But I'll probably wait a good year, build up some bing points and maybe get a decent deal on one in late 2021

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

yes cancel the 7 yr old xbox one version

I agree. By the time Infinite comes out, we'll possibly be one year into next gen. Scrap the XB1 version.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

In the right hands 5 years of development and half a billion dollar funding would have had insane potential, all signs right now point towards the money getting wasted because they didn't properly organize the project and jumped between engines. Seems like now they are desperately trying to polish what they got, especially after the initial reaction of the fanbase, probably why the delay happened but it doesn't guarantee development won't be a mess until actual release.

Reminds me of Halo 2's development. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Why is there a Stargate on the menu screen?  

I have been waiting for a good stargate game since 1994

I am still crying when I watch the supposed in-game Infinite reveal trailer. Funny thing is that whoever did that, they nailed the visuals style, colors, mood, everything. It's not even that Infinite doesn't look that good, it doesn't look anything like it.

1 hour ago, TeeJaY said:

I agree. By the time Infinite comes out, we'll possibly be one year into next gen. Scrap the XB1 version.

yeah, scrap the xbox one version.  MAYBE just do the multiplayer portion, even at 30 FPS. Graphics can be cut down considerably.  Scale can be cut down considerably. no split screen.  You don't need to do that for PC since pc players with shit pc's know they have shit pc's and are used to tweaking and tuning their settings and playing with lower framerate and screen tearing and all that.

Edit: I wonder if this could be a sort of win.  Would microsoft consider cutting down the console price?  They used to have the xbox leasing program so i wonder if that is going to come back? Especially with covid, people would be very attracted to a rent-a-center style $30 a month w/ game pass for 2 years until you own it, style program.

Double edit: Notable from the video "We saw a port of Gears 5 [on the series x] which looks amazing and they said was done in 2 weeks."  I wonder how they were able to get it done so fast.....................................

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Why is there a Stargate on the menu screen?  

My guess is they are miniature "Halo shaped objects" to be used for fast travel between the big open world parts.  And maybe they can even be used for Fast Travel to "back track" for various quests. Basically the "Infinite" version of this used for open~ world fast travel:

I imagine when use one you can select which teleporter to port to. 

c6ifsTRl.jpg

So according to that article of releasing infinite in split parts, they were gonna release SP first then MP. I’m kinda glad they delayed it now. I just really hope we get flights or some beta before release now. 

The recent rumors about 343 considering splitting Halo into two halves is only partially true; the original intention was to release two separate games. Two dev cycles, two games.

• Like (+1) 1

COVID is a copout. Most major companies, whether it be the banks, oil and gas, tech, etc...have all easily transitioned into a remote work environment since March. Hell, tech companies have being doing it for decades...if not other major industries.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, TTUVAPOR said:

COVID is a copout. Most major companies, whether it be the banks, oil and gas, tech, etc...have all easily transitioned into a remote work environment since March. Hell, tech companies have being doing it for decades...if not other major industries.

I agree even though it sounds harsh you can tell that most of the delays due to covid were measured in weeks and only the poorly managed and equipped companies have seen major delays outside of that for the most part. A lot of people hiding failures behind the pandemic right now because it makes anyone look bad if you disagree

41 minutes ago, TTUVAPOR said:

37 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I agree even though it sounds harsh you can tell that most of the delays due to covid were measured in weeks and only the poorly managed and equipped companies have seen major delays outside of that for the most part. A lot of people hiding failures behind the pandemic right now because it makes anyone look bad if you disagree

Yes and no. So many people at my work are doing like 10% of their work because there is no accountability. Not everyone of course, some people have increased productivity. But some people are doing so little and they need a rocket up their ass.

Bad management is the problem there

Covid is def not a cope but they weren't showing things for 4 of the 5 years before covid existed. That on top of Tim Longo leaving probably fucked this project and forced them to switch gears. This delay can only be a good thing so glad they made that call

Let's be honest: the game that we would have received if they didn't switch gears would probably have been a worse version of H5. 

• Like (+1) 1

Some people may not realize that some studios may have licensing or contract restrictions preventing them from doing any work outside the studio. While I'm not sure if this is the case with 343 it creates a significant impact upon any project. With that being said, what happened to the 4 years of development that took place before Covid-19 existed? The idea that production can't start until an engine is finished is obtuse as creation of all assets like models, rigs, animations, materials/textures, and more is done in separate programs outside of the engine...

• Thonking (+0) 1

On 8/1/2020 at 6:02 PM, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

They're a shit company. I'm amazed some benefit of the doubt is floating around on this site. 

8 hours ago, TTUVAPOR said:

Any other company essentially I'd give benefit of the doubt.

CD Projekt delays Cyberpunk 2077 again, I happily take it knowing it's for the best and the game will be good at the end of the day.

343 delays Halo, and it's just the same old bullshit. Massive problems, what are they hiding, etc. Like, I already knew the game was a mess becuase it took so long to release gameplay of Halo Infinite. And on top of it it somehow looked worse than halo 5? Like what the fuck is that about?

This is the same pattern over and over. How people don't catch on is just mesmerizing on it's own. COVID or not you'd think a tech company of all companies would thrive in this current enviornment. 

Also, this is going to hurt new console sales pretty significantly. Halo Infinite was supposed to be the console seller. So you know it's some serious stuff if they can't release it on time, and what others are saying make sense that it may be a year+??? For a game that has been in development for over 5 years? Lol ok dude.

• Like (+1) 2