CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

9 minutes ago, NAK said:

True, we are talking about Corporate giants. Money is always what drives the decision. I personally would have found it rather "embarrassing" if I were them though. That, and if done correctly, it could have been great for them, especially with the amount of studios they keep acquiring. 

Its Halo and its been 5+ years by the time the game comes out. They could've used unreal and dropped two Halo titles, made more money and paid the royalties on top of it. Its seemingly just a race to the dumbest decision imaginable. I can't wait to see what happens in the next episode of this shit. Microsoft is actually showing A LOT of restraint in how they handle the franchise because if they wanted to print money they would've done what I just said. Its incredible that MS is giving 343 this much room to take time and do what they want. Its just unfortunate that they're squandering what they've been given because MS will probably think twice about doing this with a more deserving studio in the future. They could've easily turned this into CoD and generated multiple studios to push Halo out yearly for a nice pile of money but instead they're treating 343 like they're bungie or the people who develop main Mario or Zelda games. Difference being that 343 bricks every shot they take at making a truly successful game where the rest of that list pretty much never misses

• Like (+1) 5

It would be nice if we had multiple studios making halo. Heck’s one studio could cater to the classic crowd. So far all we have are fan made games that show no promise at all. It sucks but it’s the truth. 

10 hours ago, Craneteam said:

6JJzlXC.jpg

mRL2k27.gif

• Like (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

I feel bad for the devs that are actually executing on the day to day work over there.  You know this shit is going to roll down hill, and probably has been for a long time.  For every Chris Lee or Lyin' Frank getting overpaid to under-deliver, there are 100 environment artists just trying to get a job in the industry with no say in the direction of the game, brought in as contractors, forced to use inferior tools, watching things they worked to create get dunked on by the public.  All because of the small handful of MBA's trying to steer the ship that don't actually understand Halo in a way that would allow them to have a progressive vision for the game, instead of just chasing dollar signs.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethereal Nights said:

Posts like these are just bizarre. The reaction to Infinite here has been so weird and backwards.

The first thing is streamers. And this could have applied years ago as well. Stop bringing up popular streamers and their thoughts on Halo. Whether it's Summit, Shroud, or whoever else. They don't fucking matter because they're not gonna be playing the game a week after release. Halo is not at the top anymore and it never will be again, so top streamers won't give a shit about it in the long term. I also guarantee you that streamers don't know shit about what makes Halo great. Summit already said himself that he wants Infinite to play like Halo 5. Y'all better hope to god 343 doesn't give a shit about their opinions the way some of you do or Halo will actually get worse. And no, it's not impossible for Halo to become worse than it is right now.

The second is the graphics. When did this forum become ridden with casuals? Seriously? That's not elitism either. I'm just confused as to why the graphics have been leading the discussion HERE of all places. The only part of the graphics we should care about are the parts that affect visual feedback for the player. Whether it looks last gen, this gen, next gen, or whatever, it doesn't matter. Or at least it shouldn't to people on this forum. Oh no, the lighting looks flat. How tragic.

Third. The delay. Tell me something. Do you want another MCC circa 2014? Would you rather the game be released this year in a broken state? Because chances are the graphics is not the reason why it was delayed. Games don't get delayed because the lighting looks flat. They get delayed because of technical issues. Hell, a lot of games still don't get delayed even when there's technical issues. MCC should have never released in 2014. It should have been delayed by at least a year, probably more to be honest. So, let's not act like this delay is the worst. The worst would be if Infinite released like MCC did. I'm not sure this franchise can survive another release like that one, especially for a new title and not a collection of older ones. Not only that, but a delay means a greater possibility of a beta.

My ultimate point is to lay off the drugs, guys. It's bad for you.

Top streamers are gonna play the game when it comes out regardless of if its good or not. Think of it like tourism, they come for the sight seeing and unless its a complete dumpster fire they are prolly gonna say they like it to please viewers. An example would be hyper scape, everyone played it and said they like it but went back to playing other games. Variety streaming.

I didn't realize wanting a game to look like a next gen game graphically was being a fucking casual, we should all embrace goldeneye n64 graphics as the standard for eternity. /s

Who tf here was complaining about the delay? like 1 person? I'm pretty sure most people on this forum realize that its no where near ready to release.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

Hope you enjoyed my TED talk on why we're talking graphics here of all places, because it's the only noteworthy thing we have to discuss. When multiplayer is finally revealed, then we'll have something to bitch about besides that.

My only hope (and it's a hilariously unrealistic hope) is that Halo: Infinite pulls a Halo 2 where the campaign was under stress the entire time due to poor engineering decisions and ended up being a rushed shadow of what was intended...

... but the multiplayer never suffered or lagged because the multiplayer team was working non-stop for 3 years and other than environment artists being hard to siphon off, was essentially nailed.

Infinite MP reveal, especially as it's free, could really go well. People don't give a shit about graphics in MP, most PC elitists wank furiously over their rigs only to have all graphics on lowest. They just need to show el-classico gameplay (no "special" game modes or "new cool things" just show straight up 8v8 CTF or 4v4 KOTH or something) with the new engine, limited abilities and some spartans backflipping once they get headshot.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Tyco said:

5 year development cycle.

Next to no gameplay analysis to work with.

Multiplayer gameplay still largely a mystery.

Graphics being poor the only noteworthy thing about the reveal.

5. Year. Development. Cycle.

Next gen launch title not looking so next gen, when graphical fidelity literally makes or breaks the success of selling the "worlds most powerful console."

Year

Development 

Cycle.

Hope you enjoyed my TED talk on why we're talking graphics here of all places, because it's the only noteworthy thing we have to discuss. When multiplayer is finally revealed, then we'll have something to bitch about besides that.

5 years, 5 long years. At first it was going well, then set back after set back. Loss after loss, made what was going to be a quick and decisive win...into 5 years of hell.

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

Year

Development 

Cycle.

The Witcher 3 was made with an in-house Engine in 4. :walshy:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Nobody really gives that much of a shit about graphics. It's embarassing of course, but ultimately unimportant to gameplay. 

The reason people are concerned is because the graphical fidelity (or lack thereof) seems to be indicative of a much larger problem, and is extremely underwhelming for what's supposed to be the first look at the legendary 5-year dev cycle Halo game. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Good graphics attract casual gamers and Halo needs an army of casual gamers to embrace it in order to succeed.  If Halo fails to maintain a healthy multiplayer population, a cascade of unfixable problems will occur.  A loyal population of casual gamers who were originally drawn in by the cool graphics but stuck around for the gameplay ensure these problems never arise.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Good graphics attract casual gamers and Halo needs an army of casual gamers to embrace it in order to succeed.  If Halo cannot maintain a healthy multiplayer population, a cascade of unfixable problems will occur.  A loyal population of casual gamers who were originally drawn in by the cool graphics but stuck around for the gameplay ensure these problems never arise.  

Exactly, I keep saying the casual player base is needed for the success of any competitive game. Smash and all of the top esports games right now are perfect examples of this. They retain a high player base directly because their games are fun and/or entertaining to play. Think if the 15 seconds of fun every 15 seconds that Halo 2 had, btb was huge for casuals and always has been. Honestly, I think all that is needed to please the casuals is to expand upon btb more. Make the maps massive like how big battle royale maps are and add vehicles, weapon/powerup pick ups, and stuff around the map. Casuals will have a field day.

Just now, Larry Sizemore said:

Stopped reading there.

It's proper English you know, right? Better than "yous guys".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

My only hope (and it's a hilariously unrealistic hope) is that Halo: Infinite pulls a Halo 2 where the campaign was under stress the entire time due to poor engineering decisions and ended up being a rushed shadow of what was intended...

... but the multiplayer never suffered or lagged because the multiplayer team was working non-stop for 3 years and other than environment artists being hard to siphon off, was essentially nailed.

Infinite MP reveal, especially as it's free, could really go well. People don't give a shit about graphics in MP, most PC elitists wank furiously over their rigs only to have all graphics on lowest. They just need to show el-classico gameplay (no "special" game modes or "new cool things" just show straight up 8v8 CTF or 4v4 KOTH or something) with the new engine, limited abilities and some spartans backflipping once they get headshot.

Do we know for sure that multiplayer is delayed? I mean it was going to be F2P anyways, so if they still released it this fall it wouldn't change much. 

59 minutes ago, xSociety said:

It's proper English you know, right? Better than "yous guys".

Larry doesn't know what a contraction is. Give him a break.

• Like (+1) 1

343 is a trash company, and no I'm not saying everyone there is before people start crying. But just how much more evidence do you need...

MCC epic fail on console.

Halo 5 trash, problems, etc.

Halo Infinite delayed.

I'm getting too old for this. Calling it anything else is just sheer neglegence.

• Like (+1) 5

I actually think it would be fine to release campaign and multiplayer separately for Halo Infinite. Since one is apparently F2P I no longer see a need for them to be chained together. Obviously that is under the assumption of a complete multiplayer experience and a complete campaign experience if they were to do so. Which is important otherwise you know they'd ship some 7 part bullshit over the course of a year and call it a sustain plan

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shekkles said:

limited abilities and some spartans backflipping once they get headshot.

Stopped reading right there.

• Simms (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, SpitFlame said:

Stopped reading right there.

#BRINGBACKTHEBACKFLIP

Apparently in the recent Animal Talking podcast, Phil Spencer mentioned that MS/343 did briefly discuss shipping the game in parts (SP only, then MP later etc) before they finally decided to just delay it all. Given we've seen SP gameplay but haven't heard shit about MP, I'm willing to put money on a major issue being an MP mode that they really want to pull off but are struggling to as a result of the X1 holding it back (Say like, they wanted some sort of 50 vs 50 mode, the X1 would be one hell of a hurdle to overcome to pull that off.)

5 hours ago, legendaryshotz said:

343 is a trash company, and no I'm not saying everyone there is before people start crying. But just how much more evidence do you need...

MCC epic fail on console.

Halo 5 trash, problems, etc.

Halo Infinite delayed.

I'm getting too old for this. Calling it anything else is just sheer neglegence.

Ehh.... MCC PC is getting nice support and they're adding a lot of fan requested stuff as they do it, like Reach, updated Forge, ODST FF, new customisation for old games etc. I really liked Halo 5 and feel that my old views on that game were more or less shaped by the negative circle-jerking in this place, its actually probably one of my favourite Halo games for MP, definitely top 3.

And 343 choosing to delay Infinite is a sign that they've actually gotten better, because they've recognized that the game isn't ready, and are delaying to ensure that it is (especially since they could've launched with mising features and used the Covid excuse and everyone would've eaten it up.) MCC and Halo 5 both should've been delayed as they either shipped broken or lacking content.

I don't know, its hard to be like "number company bad, they rushed MCC and it was broken they should've delayed until it was ready and they're also bad because Infinite isn't ready and they're delaying it"

It's been 13 years guys, if you're still holding out hope for a new classic Halo you need to move on. The franchise has been modernized Halo for as long as it was OG Trilogy Halo. It's not going to happen again, you need to make peace with that and go into the next games as a completely different franchise or just accept it and move onto new things. I dunno, I felt a lot happier when I made this realization and went into Infinite open minded, hell, I actually liked the look of the gameplay. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm dead serious when I say that I haven't seen a single person claiming that the delay was a bad thing. The closest thing is a few streamers and Halo content creators, complaining that they have to keep milking content on 13 year old games. 

Nobody wants them to not delay. The reason anyone's bringing it up, is because just like the graphical fidelity of the reveal, it seems to be indicative of a much bigger underlying problem and practically vindicates every single negative rumor surrounding Infinite's development. 

For MS to delay Halo, it's gotta be 6-12 months IMO. If they felt the full game could be released in Q1 2021 they would probably just rush the game and finish it with patches. 

SP and MP could be released separately, but it seems MS is really committed to releasing a full complete game vs releasing a broken game and then fixing with patches. I'd still bet the entire game releases together. Maybe a Q2 beta with a Q3 or Q4 release. 

If it's true Infinite is supposed to give us years of content and not just be another Halo game where another sequel comes 3 years later... It's very vital this game releases complete. You can't give a game 5-10 years of support if the launch is shit and everyone abandons it.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1