CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

11 minutes ago, Ethereal Nights said:

Posts like these are just bizarre. The reaction to Infinite here has been so weird and backwards.

The first thing is streamers. And this could have applied years ago as well. Stop bringing up popular streamers and their thoughts on Halo. Whether it's Summit, Shroud, or whoever else. They don't fucking matter because they're not gonna be playing the game a week after release. Halo is not at the top anymore and it never will be again, so top streamers won't give a shit about it in the long term. I also guarantee you that streamers don't know shit about what makes Halo great. Summit already said himself that he wants Infinite to play like Halo 5. Y'all better hope to god 343 doesn't give a shit about their opinions the way some of you do or Halo will actually get worse. And no, it's not impossible for Halo to become worse than it is right now.

The second is the graphics. When did this forum become ridden with casuals? Seriously? That's not elitism either. I'm just confused as to why the graphics have been leading the discussion HERE of all places. The only part of the graphics we should care about are the parts that affect visual feedback for the player. Whether it looks last gen, this gen, next gen, or whatever, it doesn't matter. Or at least it shouldn't to people on this forum. Oh no, the lighting looks flat. How tragic.

Third. The delay. Tell me something. Do you want another MCC circa 2014? Would you rather the game be released this year in a broken state? Because chances are the graphics is not the reason why it was delayed. Games don't get delayed because the lighting looks flat. They get delayed because of technical issues. Hell, a lot of games still don't get delayed even when there's technical issues. MCC should have never released in 2014. It should have been delayed by at least a year, probably more to be honest. So, let's not act like this delay is the worst. The worst would be if Infinite released like MCC did. I'm not sure this franchise can survive another release like that one, especially for a new title and not a collection of older ones. Not only that, but a delay means a greater possibility of a beta.

My ultimate point is to lay off the drugs, guys. It's bad for you.

Yeah let's just entirely give up on and not care the opinions and interests of people that average 30-50k viewers a stream (a lot of whom used to play Halo a lot). sounds great. 

Yeah who cares if the literal first thing they show after 5 years looks like last gen, and people lmake a meme out of it. Because first impressions don't matter.

I think the delay is a good thing. Didn't say I wanted to game out out now. I'm just saying it shouldn't excuse how the things have been handled thus far.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

Idk why they scrapped UE4.

Renting : Paying a mortgage :: Licensing Unreal Engine : Building an in-house engine 

Licensing another company’s engine would not build “equity”.  In Microsoft’s mind, they’ll have both a game, Halo, and an engine that can be used for other games.  The problem is, Halo needs a place to live RIGHT NOW.  I wonder how many Xbox series one x or whatever they’re called sales they’re projecting to lose and if they still stand behind the decision to develop an in-house engine now that they see the consequences.  

I can’t even imagine what a morale killer it must have been when they were told to switch from the robust unreal engine to the technically bankrupt blam engine.  Churn baby churn.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Renting : Paying a mortgage :: Licensing Unreal Engine : Building an in-house engine 

Licensing another company’s engine would not build “equity”.  In Microsoft’s mind, they’ll have both a game, Halo, and an engine that can be used for other games.  The problem is, Halo needs a place to live RIGHT NOW.  I wonder how many Xbox series one x or whatever they’re called sales they’re projecting to lose and if they still stand behind the decision to develop on in-house engine now that they see the consequences.  

I can’t even imagine what a morale killer it must have been when they were told to switch from the robust unreal engine to the technically bankrupt blam engine.  Churn baby churn.  

Tf does equity have to do with anything? There’s no way slupspace can do something UE4 can’t do.

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

2 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

But not this blocky random unfinished crap ffs.

I'm being dead serious when I say I'll take blocky simple geometry. Maybe then my grenades won't bounce off tiny random pieces of geometry into the opposite direction I intended because 343 wanted to blow me away with immersion.

Maybe I'm just old but I do remember when complex geometry was actually a complaint on this forum.

4 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

Yeah let's just entirely give up on and not care the opinions and interests of people that average 30-50k viewers a stream (a lot of whom used to play Halo a lot). sounds great. 

Yeah who cares if the literal first thing they show after 5 years looks like last gen, and people lmake a meme out of it. Because first impressions don't matter.

I think the delay is a good thing. Didn't say I wanted to game out out now. I'm just saying it shouldn't excuse how the things have been handled thus far.

When their opinions are trash to begin with, I don't give a damn how many viewers they average.

MCC's first impression was pretty solid. Then it was released a broken mess.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ethereal Nights said:

I'm being dead serious when I say I'll take blocky simple geometry. Maybe then my grenades won't bounce off tiny random pieces of geometry into the opposite direction I intended because 343 wanted to blow me away with immersion.

Maybe I'm just old but I do remember when complex geometry was actually a complaint on this forum.

No, I love simplicity, clear stuff, believe me. But this is just plain lazy and bad.

1 hour ago, Ethereal Nights said:

Posts like these are just bizarre. The reaction to Infinite here has been so weird and backwards.

I didn't know "here" had become a synonym for "literally everywhere including Fanboy HQ".

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1

Is anyone here able to explain/speculate why 343 took some extra years of development to build a new engine, yet from Glassdoor reviews and the recent delay still seem so bogged down by technical/code limitations? I was under the impression that the Slipspace Engine was specifically made to address that issue.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thonking (+0) 1

36 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I didn't know "here" had become a synonym for "literally everywhere including Fanboy HQ".

It hasn't. But at this rate, it very well might.

21 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

Is anyone here able to explain/speculate why 343 took some extra years of development to build a new engine, yet from Glassdoor reviews and the recent delay still seem so bogged down by technical/code limitations? I was under the impression that the Slipspace Engine was specifically made to address that issue.

It might have to do with how late they landed on a final decision. I've heard rumors that they went back and forth using several engines. They obviously planned to release H6 with the new console. Matching those deadlines can be killer

2 minutes ago, Ethereal Nights said:

It hasn't. But at this rate, it very well might.

Let me make sure I'm hearing you correctly.

You're claiming that the reaction to the Halo Infinite gameplay trailer was received positively everywhere else except for this forum.

I want to be very sure that's what's happening here.

Just now, Cursed Lemon said:

Let me make sure I'm hearing you correctly.

You're claiming that the reaction to the Halo Infinite gameplay trailer was received positively everywhere else except for this forum.

I want to be very sure that's what's happening here.

Lol. What? How the hell did you get that from my post?

Just now, Knighty Knight said:

I've heard rumors that they went back and forth using several engines.

I assumed this was more for rapid prototyping and testing.  Create your ideas in the easy to use unreal engine to see how they play, then go try to remake them in blam once you know you’re moving forward with the idea.  

Just now, Boyo said:

I assumed this was more for rapid prototyping and testing.  Create your ideas in the easy to use unreal engine to see how they play, then go try to remake them in blam once you know you’re moving forward with the idea.  

I have no clue how development works but I like this assumption over mine.

I must say, I think they Idea of a company as immensely wealthy as Microsoft having their flagship title built on on an engine one of their competitors made is pretty embarrassing honestly. I understand why they would want to develop their own engine, I think it is the smarter long term play, but they didn't seem to invest in the resources to do it properly. 

Every time you boot up Halo you would see the "Unreal Engine" logo. Free notoritety for Epic and their store, not to mention the royalties they'd get. 

3 minutes ago, NAK said:

I think they Idea of a company as immensely wealthy as Microsoft having their flagship title built on on an engine one of their competitors made is pretty embarrassing honestly.

What’s more embarrassing, using a competitor’s well established engine or missing your launch window, causing a new Xbox to be released without its flagship title?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Thonking (+0) 2

7 minutes ago, Ethereal Nights said:

Lol. What? How the hell did you get that from my post?

wat

"The reaction to Infinite here is so weird and backwards, lol you guys are actually complaining about the graphics"

The entire planet laughed at the graphics. Either I don't understand your post or that line about this forum vs. everywhere else is completely nonsensical.

Not that it particularly matters to me, but if even delayed Sprintfinite releases looking like Fortnite with no ambient occlusion and lower draw distance then the game's gonna get memed to hell and back

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethereal Nights said:

It's definitely the money. They want every single penny from Halo's sales. I doubt embarrassment has much to do with it.

Do you think Halo would make more money by releasing a solid game, on time, using a competitor’s engine or by releasing a janky game, that missed its console’s launch date, using their own engine?  

5 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

wat

"The reaction to Infinite here is so weird and backwards, lol you guys are actually complaining about the graphics"

The entire planet laughed at the graphics. Either I don't understand your post or that line about this forum vs. everywhere else is completely nonsensical.

I expect next gen graphics to be a main talking and discussion point on twitter, youtube, waypoint, etc. I don't expect it to be one here. But it is, which is why I said the reaction here has been backwards to what this forum usually gives a shit about. Or at least, that is what I meant. Satisfied?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethereal Nights said:

I expect next gen graphics to be a main talking and discussion point on twitter, youtube, waypoint, etc. I don't expect it to be one here. But it is, which is why I said the reaction here has been backwards to what this forum usually gives a shit about. Or at least, that is what I meant. Satisfied?

I suppose. It still feels like a strange comment considering the prevailing attitude around here is that wherever, whenever, and however 343 fucks up, we'll be here to clink glasses and laugh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What’s more embarrassing, using a competitor’s well established engine or missing your launch window, causing a new Xbox to be released without its flagship title?  

Ha, solid question, I think this goes back to their upper management being seemingly incompetent though. One thing that seems certain is that they were indecisive and then weren't able to execute once the final decision was made. 

I think sales will be fine though, although it may have been rough the way the economy is right now anyways. I am still getting the Series X for Cyberpunk, Valhalla, and for a better expense with games I still play. I am sick of spending minutes every play session staring at loading screens and playing nearly the lowest settings for every game on the One X. I don't have the time or money to invest in a PC that performs significantly better than the Series X so it is a great option for me.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, NAK said:

I must say, I think they Idea of a company as immensely wealthy as Microsoft having their flagship title built on on an engine one of their competitors made is pretty embarrassing honestly. I understand why they would want to develop their own engine, I think it is the smarter long term play, but they didn't seem to invest in the resources to do it properly. 

Every time you boot up Halo you would see the "Unreal Engine" logo. Free notoritety for Epic and their store, not to mention the royalties they'd get. 

Plenty of games do this. Why is it a sin just because MS uses it for their first party title? 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Ethereal Nights said:

It's definitely the money. They want every single penny from Halo's sales. I doubt embarrassment has much to do with it.

True, we are talking about Corporate giants. Money is always what drives the decision. I personally would have found it rather "embarrassing" if I were them though. That, and if done correctly, it could have been great for them, especially with the amount of studios they keep acquiring.