CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

17 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

I'd say calling the AR inherently less skillful and lower effort is wrong, but there hasn't been a practical implementation of the AR in Halo that has proven otherwise. Burst firing is one mechanism that kinda sorta makes it more skillful than just spraying and praying, but it isn't that far removed. I'd be all for putting a recoil pattern on the AR if it was a really aggressive one, I'm just not sure how well that ports over to console aiming mechanics.

The way I would design the AR, the skill wouldn’t necessarily be in using it so much as knowing when to drop or keep it.  

The Assault Carbine primary fires an AR and alt fires a Railgun but players don’t spawn with ammo for it; railgun ammo is found as an on map pick up.  

Say you are picking up a power weapon, do you drop the AC and keep the utility as a reliable secondary, or do you drop the utility and use the power weapon to fight your way to the incoming Railgun ammo spawn in order to keep your spree going?  Make the wrong decision and you’re getting lit up at range with no way to return fire because you dropped your utility or you are standing on Railgun ammo with no way to pick it up because you dropped your AC.  

• Like (+1) 2

Projectile weapons can be perfectly accurate. Not sure why people equate projectile with being inaccurate.  Adding  time of flight doesn't have to affect accuracy.  All weapons should be projectile.  Obv. speed of projectile is a balancing mechanic, so some may have near instantaneous impact.  But true hitscan is just lazy.

I see people link time of flight, bullet drop, RNG, netcode and hit detection like they're intrinsically linked when they're not.  Bad experiences with RNG and shit netcode/hit detection have turned people off of projectile which is a damn shame.

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Projectile weapons can be perfectly accurate. Not sure why people equate projectile with being inaccurate.  Adding  time of flight doesn't have to affect accuracy.  All weapons should be projectile.  Obv. speed of projectile is a balancing mechanic, so some may have near instantaneous impact.  But true hitscan is just lazy.

I see people link time of flight, bullet drop, RNG, netcode and hit detection like they're intrinsically linked when they're not.  Bad experiences with RNG and shit netcode/hit detection have turned people off of projectile which is a damn shame.

Oh please, that’s the only the casein halo. Any other game today that’s projectile has basically perfect hit reg. Apex legends, battle field, Star Wars battlefront 2, etc. honestly halos autos should have some recoil. Y’all gotta stop acting as if recoil control is some difficult ass shit on controller. The 3 I listed have recoil and controlling them with a controller isn’t hard. Halos had recoil before on the SMG. It isn’t difficult is it? 

After a very long hiatus, I ultimately return with a nitpick. There is much I can say about the Jul 23 reveal in general but at this point there's not much others haven't brought up. Most of my disappointment had to do with the technical prowess (or lack of) of the showing - what an embarrassment.

Anyways, back to the petty nitpick. I could ignore this before but now it's more noticeable than ever. Why does the warthog have audible gear shifts when its equipped with a CVT? Sure you can hear these shifts in H5 too but now it just sounds like a tuned 4 banger with a snappy transmission. So much for attention to detail from the 'lore' masters themselves.

PpCwoRj.png

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

With the exception of Halo 3, we've always had the illusion of hitscan, or hirscan itself. The only instance in the franchise where people associate Halo with actual projectiles is Halo 3, and that game was a mess in terms of its netcode, the speed of the projectiles themselves, hit registration, and bullet spread. Though I would prefer a well functioning projectile system to hitscan, I can't really blame people. Especially with 343's track record. Imagine a poorly functioning projectile system with sprint and abilities...

27 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Quake has more or less the fastest movement we've ever seen in a video game bar tribes

no this is the fastest game

apps.23601.64723872221358754.1c058246-62

• Like (+1) 6
  • Simms (+1) 1

Hmm, I didn't think about skill symmetry. 

Though, it does call into question whether shooting allows for much skill symmetry in the first place. If we wanted to preserve skill symmetry even with projectile weapons, we need perfect strafe acceleration. 

On 8/8/2020 at 11:25 AM, Sitri said:

No, but does the super duper controller let you map things per-game? I thought it just had a switch between different presets.

You create profiles, but you can create as many profiles as you want. You can create a profile for each Halo game with their own button mappings - you just might have to go into settings first (since the controller can only toggle between 2-3 profiles at a time), which takes like 10 seconds.

Man, I usually stay away from complaining about reddit or twitter (mostly because I do browse reddit and just stay out of my way from the dumb-dumbs) but I had a guy go on a rant about how new Halo isn't any different than old Halo and that Halo 4 plays exactly the same as Halo 2 with the exception of sprint. The world is a strange place

18 minutes ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

Careful their Chad, they could add sprint to sonic when you're not looking:apg:

To be fair, Sonic did go to even worse shit when they gave you a one-button forward speed boost.

45 minutes ago, Sitri said:

To be fair, Sonic did go to even worse shit when they gave you a one-button forward speed boost.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was shit?  

28 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was shit?  

I was talking about the modern incarnation where you press a single button for instant fast.

• Upvote (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JordanB said:

"Halo Infinite isn't fully open world, but you can explore previous areas"

https://www.windowscentral.com/halo-infinite-isnt-fully-open-world-you-can-explore-previous-areas

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but I think this is really great news for the campaign. 

I don't know if backtracking is what people had in mind when they heard "open world".

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I don't know if backtracking is what people had in mind when they heard "open world".

It’s basically open world in the sense you can do side quest and shit, it’s not a straight forward path like h2-5. H1 had elements like this but the side quest were sort of pointless.

13 hours ago, Meek Meek Meek said:

After a very long hiatus, I ultimately return with a nitpick. There is much I can say about the Jul 23 reveal in general but at this point there's not much others haven't brought up. Most of my disappointment had to do with the technical prowess (or lack of) of the showing - what an embarrassment.

Anyways, back to the petty nitpick. I could ignore this before but now it's more noticeable than ever. Why does the warthog have audible gear shifts when its equipped with a CVT? Sure you can hear these shifts in H5 too but now it just sounds like a tuned 4 banger with a snappy transmission. So much for attention to detail from the 'lore' masters themselves.

PpCwoRj.png

They just wanted to use the word infinitely. Marketing immerion

2 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Maybe it's backtracking akin to Assault on The Control Room / Two Betrayals ? ?  

Given this 343 it has me nervous. 

@Boyo I appreciate your brainstorming but I'm low-key waiting for the day 343 takes one of your ideas and gives you no credit for it. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

It sounds like less back tracking and more unlocking side quests. Take the mission Halo in CE, but there was only 1 group of marines you were supposed to save. You get to them and complete the level. Now you can go back and find out there are more marines you can save.

I'd much rather this than some imaginative open world campaign. Open world sounds nice in imagination but I really don't think it fits the Halo campaign very well, and I really don't trust 343 to deliver with that type of gameplay/story.

10 minutes ago, JordanB said:

It sounds like less back tracking and more unlocking side quests. Take the mission Halo in CE, but there was only 1 group of marines you were supposed to save. You get to them and complete the level. Now you can go back and find out there are more marines you can save.

I'd much rather this than some imaginative open world campaign. Open world sounds nice in imagination but I really don't think it fits the Halo campaign very well, and I really don't trust 343 to deliver with that type of gameplay/story.

I'm just quietly amused at how 343 is doing nothing to quell the "open world" marketing magic that Infinite is leaning on. I'm sure everyone who's paying even the slightest amount of critical attention understands that a Halo game could never be The Witcher 3, but it's still funny to watch 343 basically like, "hmm? Oh yeah, yeah open world. Yeah totally. Open. Yep."

• Like (+1) 8