CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

34 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

You're applying how every other BR is designed to Halo though... Halo shouldn't try to come in line with "every other BR".  It should be, as it should be in all facets, its own thing.  Adopt the gametype basics, big maps, lots of players, collapsing playspace.  But otherwise let it be halo.  It doesn't "need" weapon progressions.  It doesn't "need" good loot. 

Then like, it doesn't need to be a good BR either dude. We can just play BTB. Hell, even Warzone.

BTB elimination...

You know what? Instead of copying other games, mechanics, ideas, they should come up with something original on their own. I don't know what, but it's fucking Microsoft, fucking Halo flagship brand (or used to be right). They should be at least able to hire talented people and make a good product. They should be the ones to set trends. Or not.

There is one  well known fairytale in our country. It's about dog and cat living together. One day they decide to make a cake. They don't know how to do it, so they decide to put everything they like in it. You can imagine how well the cake came out. And that's what Halo seems to be nowdays.

• Like (+1) 4

No big studio or publisher is setting the trends in gaming these days. MOBAs and BR both happened through the modding community on PC and when publishers realized it was a product that had potential they jumped onto it, Fortnite and CoD both originally were not BR games, PUBG devs were not a big dog in the industry setting a trend either, they just realized there was demand for more realistic BR games.
For studios and publishers with a ton of money it's simply not worth the risk trying to reinvent the wheel, keep selling what people buy, that's how you get very similar CoD titles each year instead of a lot of experimentation and only if a trend like BR gets really big the bean counters at activision blizzard realize there is money to be made. Generally those publishers also have a enough money to keep spending insane amounts of money so relevant streamers play their games as that largely influences what (especially younger) people play these days.

Could 343 try something new with infinite and hire a bunch of people to make something unique? For sure.
But realistically it's not worth the risk, you don't roll the dice and hope a cool idea becomes the next trend if you are this big, you go with something that is mostly safe and proven. In this case "open world" has been a buzz word in the industry for a few years now, especially related to next gen consoles, so it's a good bet that making the next Halo open world should create additional hype for it.

The question is what is the most obvious way to bring people onto the Xbox Series X, not how to reinvent the wheel gameplay wise with new creative gameplay.
(Now you can say that the graphics don't reflect that which I would agree with but in theory 343 behaves very alike other studios of their size when it comes to decision making, it's just that something seems to mess with the execution for them.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Remember when 343 said infinite wouldnt have a br? What else did they say wasn't happening, only for whatever it was to indeed happen?

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

Remember when 343 said infinite wouldnt have a br? What else did they say wasn't happening, only for whatever it was to indeed happen?

No idea tbh. 

1 hour ago, Warlord Wossman said:

The question is what is the most obvious way to bring people onto the Xbox Series X, not how to reinvent the wheel gameplay wise with new creative gameplay

It’s the newest Xbox so people will buy that regardless. Most will not build a pc because they don’t know how and pre built PCs suck for high prices, and if you want a pre built pc that’s good you’re looking at insane prices. 

It’s actually a good thing infinite was built with the Xbox OG, because the average pc player doesn’t have a pc that can handle next gen games easily. Most of these guys pc can only play games like cs or league which takes no effort at all to run.

5 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

It’s the newest Xbox so people will buy that regardless. Most will not build a pc because they don’t know how and pre built PCs suck for high prices, and if you want a pre built pc that’s good you’re looking at insane prices. 

I was mainly bringing it up because for Halo fans the option to buy a ps5 doesn't exist, basically the concept of exclusives.

17 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

I was mainly bringing it up because for Halo fans the option to buy a ps5 doesn't exist, basically the concept of exclusives.

Lol that’s because these guys won’t build a pc. I’m for once going to get a PlayStation after all these years. Last one I had was the ps2 after going the Xbox 360 life. I have a powerful pc. I don’t need the series X. I hate console gaming anyway because games force me on 30fps nonsense on single player games like seikiro. But ps5 will have actual exclusives and emulators 9/10 suck 

3 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

The only thing that was said was like 3 years ago when Grim said, "the only BR im interested in is the Battle Rifle".  And im pretty sure that was referring to Halo 5. It's was an obvious dodge.

2 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

The only thing that was said was like 3 years ago when Grim said, "the only BR im interested in is the Battle Rifle".  And im pretty sure that was referring to Halo 5. It's was an obvious dodge.

It was referring to Halo Infinite shortly after its reveal at 2018 E3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hemlax said:

You know what? Instead of copying other games, mechanics, ideas, they should come up with something original on their own. I don't know what, but it's fucking Microsoft, fucking Halo flagship brand (or used to be right). They should be at least able to hire talented people and make a good product. They should be the ones to set trends. Or not.

There is a well known fairytale in our country. It's about dog and cat living together. One day they decide to make a cake. They don't know how to do it, so they decide to put everything they like in it. You can imagine how well the cake came out. And that's what Halo seems to be nowdays.

Hard to make something inspiring when your studio lacks passion and is just money hungry. 343 has always seemed like a studio trying to keep the franchise going just because Micro$oft wants the IP to  ̶s̶t̶a̶y̶  be successful.  For anyone who has seen the movie, "The Platform", 343 is down on floor 137 trying to stay alive off the scraps passed down from Bungie.

giphy.gif  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

8 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

I'm the same way. Can't stand recoil unless it's really, REALLY mitigated and monodirectional. 

I read that as mitochondrial and it made no sense. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

14 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

I read that as mitochondrial and it made no sense. 

Lmao

@Not Tencent WTF! I hate you! 
I don’t get y’all’s hate for recoil. It’s a balancing mechanism. And in most games it’s hardly that effective. Arena games just work with no recoil compared to a game like cod or apex. Heck’s pubg is considered as good as it is because of its recoil. All you gotta do is pull down your mouse as you aim a tiny bit, which does muscle memory I’ll add. But it feels good when I’m able to do something my opponent cannot do.

• Downvote (-1) 4
  • Salt (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

I don’t get y’all’s hate for recoil. It’s a balancing mechanism. And in most games it’s hardly that effective.

eddie-whaaa.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

Recoil is a fine skill for militaristic games if it's perfectly predictable, and it never is.

Tons of ideas are fine in principle, but end up poorly executed *ahem* equipment

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Xandrith said:

Recoil is a fine skill for militaristic games, but only if it's perfectly predictable, which it never is.

Tons od ideas are fine in principle just to end up terribly executed *ahem* equipment

The funny thing is, if Bungie had given the plasma pistol overcharge the ability to wipe out active equipment, it probably would have been fine. No more bubble shield camping, no more regen turtling, and it would have made the plasma pistol relevant in non-vehicle game types.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Xandrith said:

Recoil is a fine skill for militaristic games if it's perfectly predictable, and it never is.

Tons of ideas are fine in principle, but end up poorly executed *ahem* equipment

Umm how so? If you can’t control the recoil you honestly just suck.

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

10 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Good post

Yes. You are being realistic and you are right. But look where the going the safe way got them. 

You can also implement things from other games and stay true to the core, or at least expand on it. 

You can also set trends by making polished product with many other qualities that represent what is called AAA game. We have right to expect this from a studio like 343.

And what we get is freaking Craig laughing bag. There is no excuse for this.

I am going to refer to Breath of the Wild again here. Did they come up with something brand new? No. They did what 343 is trying to do. Expand the game we know and bring it to new territory. But look at the polish and fidelity. Look how simple yet deep the game can be. And how simple yet breathtaking the visuals are. There are not many games looking better and easier on eye than Botw, and it's on 5 year old mobile Tegra chip.

Again, there is no excuse for 343.

I am going in circles here and I should stop. I am just a bitter old gamer. But I won't let them butter me up, that is for sure. 4k/120 FPS my ass.

Not saying there is an excuse, but I assume working with a messy code-base, and going back from UE4 to the shitspace engine (if true) doesn't really set you up for a great game I think. If the complaints of former employees are not just biased from them getting fired I could believe them working on a complete frankenstein monster of a game at this point.
Sadly big studio and a ton of resources, time and money doesn't mean the game will end up being great, I agree that this is what we should all expect from a studio/publisher this size but they have shown in the past that they are not the best when it comes to execution (which doesn't even mean the people are not capable of making a good game, probably more so the project lead and decisions to hire people for a quick coding job on some specific thing).

14 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

why does this @Tencent troll dislike every post I make? 

Because you react.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

6 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Because you react.

Hmm good point, but I don’t get it. I’ve never said anything negative to him before.

1 hour ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Not saying there is an excuse, but I assume working with a messy code-base, and going back from UE4 to the shitspace engine (if true) doesn't really set you up for a great game I think. If the complaints of former employees are not just biased from them getting fired I could believe them working on a complete frankenstein monster of a game at this point.
Sadly big studio and a ton of resources, time and money doesn't mean the game will end up being great, I agree that this is what we should all expect from a studio/publisher this size but they have shown in the past that they are not the best when it comes to execution (which doesn't even mean the people are not capable of making a good game, probably more so the project lead and decisions to hire people for a quick coding job on some specific thing).

You know to be fair h5&4 worked.(except aiming that sucked in h5) . The games had no real ground breaking bugs. Ok you know what never mind, they fucked up aiming in an FPS fuck them! It’s probably why I hated h5 most of all. H5 multi was kinda fun, although partially that’s because of the awesome utility.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah getting stuff like aiming right in an FPS game is def one of the first steps if you are trying to make a serious game.
H4 was a solid release in this regard, I will give you that, it just feels like everything that came after was messed up in one way or another, I really hoped the 5 years of dev time for Infinite would mean they started from scratch tech wise and recreate everything from the ground up hiring experts who know how to get all the things right - H5 should have been a wake up call in that regard but I am not so sure anymore after seeing that first little campaign gameplay clip.

I would say they are not off to a great start, you know it's pretty spicy when bad graphics are the main discussion after showing a gameplay trailer for a next gen console - not saying I really care much about graphics but might be a hint on how development has been handled so far. Got messages from a couple of friends on discord who have not owned a console since the ps2 days sharing the H:I memes with the brute and all, def not the right signs you would hope for if you wanted to believe they are doing things properly this time.

• Like (+1) 2

If we have content at the level of h5 or more, aiming as good as h4&2a(aka modern aiming inputs) , then we’re off to a good start.

theres a reason Phil mentions the good of h5 multi. Because I’ve heard lots of good about it myself compared to others. It wasn’t widely hated. But the problem with h5 is it’s complicated. I think infinite having sprint(slower than ever so that’s a plus 1) clamber and slide is an ok thing. These are simple, these are familiar. 

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

If it only has the content level of H5 it will be an embarrassment all over again.  Halo 5 was panned for its lack of content at launch compared to other games. It took 3 months to get forge.  It took over a year to get assault and oddball. Big team was all forge maps.  Infinite will have had 2 MORE YEARS of development than Halo 5.  If it doesn't launch with orders of magnitude more (and polished) content, all the management at 343 needs to be axed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1