CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

A Halo Battle Royal could actually work well if they stray from all the classic BR tropes.

No one has really made a successful Arena BR game, Halo could do it. There are way too many things needed to make it work to write out and I don't think it's worth talking about unless we knew it was happening.

• Like (+1) 3

On 8/1/2020 at 10:19 AM, TBCT said:

You guys should look at this:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/i0uwx2/debunking_the_myth_that_sprint_is_an_illusion/

This dude is OBSESSED with "destroying" anti-sprint arguments. It's actually pretty cringey how he speaks like it's a god script, lol. 

It's shit like this that really makes me question if I either have a way higher IQ than 99% of the population or if most humans are just this dumb. Like I really cannot understand this mindset and what is firing off in their brain that makes them believe puzzle pieces that don't actually fit together will be a great fit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Hey guys, I’m gonna be making some spinach cannelloni with ground beef. Does ground beef go well with Alfredo sauce or should I use tomato sauce?

EDIT: decided to go with Alfredo sauce, looks pretty good

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

If F2P Halo DOESN'T have a BR mode, they're fucking up.  Regardless of what you think of the mode itself, or 343s ability to pull it off, if they don't make one they're wrong.

Now people on this forum are insisting on a Halo BR mode? Am I being trolled or did I accidentally huff my own shit earlier?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

5 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

If F2P Halo DOESN'T have a BR mode, they're fucking up.  Regardless of what you think of the mode itself, or 343s ability to pull it off, if they don't make one they're wrong.

lil too far bud

5 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

Chasing trends hasn't worked so far for them and I don't think that will change

• Like (+1) 5

The same mechanics/utilities from older Halos shouldnt be used in newer Halo titles.

Unless it's from H3 because it's the newest Halo in the trilogy. @

Weve moved on from H2 and H1.

@ Which we should have got with H4. But we got H2 v2.

• Downvote (-1) 7
  • Salt (-1) 1

58 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

The same mechanics/utilities from older Halos shouldnt be used in newer Halo titles.

Unless it's from H3 because it's the newest Halo in the trilogy.

Weve moved on from H2 and H1.

So 19 and 16 years is too much but 13 years isn't? Is this like a fine line situation or what? You know there are people as old as H3 that play modern Halo, right?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

19 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

You gonna make halo infinite evolved😂😂😂

Lol maybe but not gonna lie I'm still a bit jaded from trying to do that in H5. @S0UL FLAME sure will though, lol.

Anyway, on topic: I don't understand the appeal of Battle Royale modes. That is not a trend that I ever thought would be a thing. Granted I've not played any of them, but from what I understand it is basically Big Team FFA with 1 life on huge maps. Never been a fan of 1-life game modes in almost any game (save Destiny Trials). And after playing some stupid-ass Hunger Games minigames while in a clan back during my H4 days, never again. Even as an unwitting casual I despised the mode.

But perhaps I am missing something. I think not, though. Don't really care.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

5 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Now people on this forum are insisting on a Halo BR mode? Am I being trolled or did I accidentally huff my own shit earlier?

Nope.  All BR is is a new gametype.  Thats literally it.  Its a giant FFA/Multiteam.

5 hours ago, Xandrith said:

lil too far bud

No its not.

4 hours ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

Chasing trends hasn't worked so far for them and I don't think that will change

BR mode is essentially an expansion of FFA/Multiteam.  It requires no changes to spawn mechanics.  Hell, Halo is uniquely positioned to keep its BR mode close to default since its based on map pickups already.

This hate of BR modes is self-defeating.  Its just a new gametype on a huge map.  Isn't this the EXACT type of shit that we have been arguing for years that halo should "innovate" with or steal?  Things that don't need to fuck with the core mechanics? New gametypes, new map pickups, projectile weapons (which would essentially be required for a BR mode).  Its also the most popular gametype out there right now, one that Halo could actually have a unique take on and draw in a lot of players.  Arguing against a BR in Halo is just cutting off  your nose to spite your face.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

28 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Nope.  All BR is is a new gametype.  Thats literally it.  Its a giant FFA/Multiteam.

No its not.

BR mode is essentially an expansion of FFA/Multiteam.  It requires no changes to spawn mechanics.  Hell, Halo is uniquely positioned to keep its BR mode close to default since its based on map pickups already.

This hate of BR modes is self-defeating.  Its just a new gametype on a huge map.  Isn't this the EXACT type of shit that we have been arguing for years that halo should "innovate" with or steal?  Things that don't need to fuck with the core mechanics? New gametypes, new map pickups, projectile weapons (which would essentially be required for a BR mode).  Its also the most popular gametype out there right now, one that Halo could actually have a unique take on and draw in a lot of players.  Arguing against a BR in Halo is just cutting off  your nose to spite your face.

People are just too narrow-minded that they think a Halo BR would have to play out like any other BR game. It doesn't have to, it could be quickly paced with classic Halo arena gameplay with FFA rules or multi-team. Hell, it could start out like a 2 team BTB game and end in a multi-team or FFA.

It doesn't have to have a closing zone either, it could be map sectors where a covenant ship glasses each section. There could be static map pickups, respawn timers, and Octagon for the gulag FFS!

So many people here think a BR game and immediately close off any other ideas and think of Fortnite and other BR games they didn't care for. Guess what though, it would make Halo way more popular and if you wanted to just play ranked, that will be unaffected. Maybe you'll have less undesirable people in your arena games?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

Halo is uniquely positioned to keep its BR mode close to default since its based on map pickups already.

Do you think guns, grenades, and power ups are enough type of pick ups to satisfy a scavenging gametype or could BR Halo benefit from additional pick ups like equipment, AAs, and sidearms (sub class of weapons that don’t count toward the two weapon limit and are equipped by holding Y)?  

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Do you think guns, grenades, and power ups are enough type of pick ups to satisfy a scavenging gametype or could BR Halo benefit from additional pick ups like equipment, AAs, and sidearms (sub class of weapons that don’t count toward the two weapon limit and are equipped by holding Y)?  

A Halo BR game doesn't have to be a "scavenging" gametype, that's the point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Personal bias: BR is dogshit and boring af to play

Objective observation: 343 will fuck it up either way and waste a ton of dev resources on it. See: Breakout, Warzone, Spartan Ops, Dominion, squad play in campaign . All more or less good ideas on paper but failed horribly because of their botched implementation. 

• Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, xSociety said:

A Halo BR game doesn't have to be a "scavenging" gametype, that's the point.

So items don’t spawn on the map?  

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

So items don’t spawn on the map?  

They do but it doesn't have to be like other BR games where you spend the first bit of the game just scrambling to find loot. That's all I'm saying.

6 minutes ago, Basu said:

Objective observation: 343 will fuck it up either way and waste a ton of dev resources on it. See: Breakout, Warzone, Spartan Ops, Dominion, squad play in campaign . All more or less good ideas on paper but failed horribly because of their botched implementation. 

You aren't wrong there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Well we know that equipment is back, so with that what else do you really need?  The only thing they really need to create is a revive system, but Halo 5 campaign already has that.  The thing that should separate Halo from other BRs would be the simplicity of the pickups.  They don't need to be a big deviation from Arena at all.  HOnestly all they would probably need to do would be edit the ammo count for some weapons.  You don't need 3 levels of armor and a dozen weapon attachments.  Most BRs are loot-shooters with 30 minutes games, Halo BR could just be a shooter with shorter, faster games since you're not expected to spend a 90 seconds each circle rummaging through loot and inventory management.

Just now, Basu said:

Personal bias: BR is dogshit and boring af to play

yeah that was my argument for not adding it in an update to Halo 5 or as a short term standalone, But i'm not going to allow that shit (as much as i do worry about it, same as you) to affect my thoughts on anything Infinite should or shouldn't do.  They have had 5 fucking years.  No excuse for the game to not launch with everything a Halo game should have, plus more.  I think modes like infection and grifball are total dogshit, but i still expect halo to have them on launch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Wouldn’t movement enhancing pick ups like jump boots or glider work best in these giant gametypes with large structures scattered across the map?  Movement enhancing pick ups aren’t equipment, as they’re not deployables.  I think a class of items that modify player movement should be called armor abilities cuz they attach to your armor, and give you abilities.  

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Wouldn’t movement enhancing pick ups like jump boots or glider work best in these giant gametypes with large structures scattered across the map?  Movement enhancing pick ups aren’t equipment, as they’re not deployables.  I think a class of items that modify player movement should be called armor abilities cuz they attach to your armor, and give you abilities.  

Let vehicles "enhance movement".

Just now, Apoll0 said:

Let vehicles "enhance movement".

In an FFA?  

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

In an FFA?  

In a 100+ person FFA on a map the size of Texas? sure. We're not talking about midship.  I also prefer the multi-team comparison.  I find solo BR's just fucking boring.  They encourage people to play like little bitches, which sucks

• Like (+1) 1

You think, in a giant ffa, that driving a Warthog by yourself is preferable to movement enhancing pick ups that a player can activate and use all on his own?  

BR is mind-numbingly boring to play, personally. Practically random starts, 3-5 minute stretches of nothing happening, and very little deliberate map design so as to introduce some predictability into player movement. 

You can sweat your nuts off and play like it's ARMA, and still get sniped by some 3 pixels on your screen. It's just not particularly fun. 

I'd rather just have a much larger BTB mode, kind of like Battlefield. 

• Like (+1) 4