CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

All this talk about just trying to enjoy the new game if possible, and not waste energy hating on it all the time?

Well, I can say this. Halo 4 was my first big online Halo experience (had been a fan since 05 but never had XBL or a 360 until 2012). I gotta say, the ignorant bliss of being an unwitting casual back then was awesome. Don't know if I have ever had THAT much fun since.

It absolutely SUCKED when I started to git gud, tried to get better at the game, only to look it up and find out that the (especially competitive) community frickin HATED the game and just absolutely detested everything about it.

Not going to lie, I sometimes wonder if my H5 experience and on was possibly poisoned by that. Never again will I care as much what the competitive community collectively thinks. It can't even decide on anything barring 'REMOVE IT' anyway.

So I am a bit cautiously optimistic for Infinite. It looks like it will play similar to H4's Legendary BRs gametype, with added equipment pickups. And I could honestly be pretty cool with that.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Hooked 1

13 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Here's how I see it: I'm done hating on Halo. We're never going to get classic Halo back with the exception of MCC and I am having a fantastic time playing it, warts and all. Hating on it has gotten me nothing and nowhere. Playing it has given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

Complaining about BR spread, bloom, sprint, clamber, AA's, art and all the rest had given me some enjoyment and catharsis for the poor decisions that have been made over time, but you know what? I still have almost 1000 hours in MCC since launch, I still organize Halo 1/2/3 campaign playthroughs with my brother at least once a year. The boyz still get on and play BTB matchmaking for fun.

Hating on Halo has got me nothing but... well hate. I said it before: The more I visit this forum the less I enjoy MCC. If I have a gaming night coming up where we plan to chill and play some Halo 3 BTB, I don't visit here for a few days.

Competitive Halo has been on life support since 2011. It's done. Anything done now is a resurrection and kudos if it succeeds. I've moved past pretending this place has any influence over Halo's future and that discussing every semantic to death is worth any effort.

If 343 can release a game that looks like Halo, sounds like Halo and plays at least mostly like Halo that's great. But more importantly I just want to have fun. I want to hop on for a few hours with the boyz and capture some flags. I have a full time career, I have my hobby in my YouTube channel that passed 50k subscribers this year, I'm getting married, buying a house and training for a triathlon. When I game, I want something fun with a hint of competitive to get my blood running. If I play with friends, I want something we can have a laugh and banter about whilst we play. I don't particularly want to play a game then go on a forum and bitch about every issue with it anymore. Bigger fish to fry y'know?

If the game is bad, the aiming doesn't work etc. etc. then Halo will remain dead. I've had 19 years of enjoyment, that's ok. There are other games to play these days.

Besides, we've already got the dream: we can try the new Halo without paying 343!

I kind of feel this, which is why I don't really discuss Halo much anymore. Opinions like my own mean nothing in the end. 343 doesn't understand Halo and they don't really care for the people who do. Halo is a follower now. It's not a leader in the FPS genre anymore. 343 wants to copy what other games are doing and chalk it up to "Halo has to evolve" or whatever. Not that Bungie was much better since the watering down of this franchise began with them. I'll give Halo Infinite a shot though because I give every Halo a shot. Maybe it'll be better than Halo 5. To be fair, from that demo, it DOES look better than Halo 5. Maybe it'll be good enough that I'll actually want to play it regularly. But we lost this battle a long time ago. Fighting for Halo's future just isn't worth the emotional or mental investment when 343 is hell bent on making terrible decisions.

I'll still enjoy MCC in spite of its issues, but I can't really invest much in bettering Halo's future anymore. It'll never be what it should be. We should all just accept that and move on. Easier said than done I think.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Here's how I see it: I'm done hating on Halo. We're never going to get classic Halo back with the exception of MCC and I am having a fantastic time playing it, warts and all. Hating on it has gotten me nothing and nowhere. Playing it has given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

Complaining about BR spread, bloom, sprint, clamber, AA's, art and all the rest had given me some enjoyment and catharsis for the poor decisions that have been made over time, but you know what? I still have almost 1000 hours in MCC since launch, I still organize Halo 1/2/3 campaign playthroughs with my brother at least once a year. The boyz still get on and play BTB matchmaking for fun.

Hating on Halo has got me nothing but... well hate. I said it before: The more I visit this forum the less I enjoy MCC. If I have a gaming night coming up where we plan to chill and play some Halo 3 BTB, I don't visit here for a few days.

Competitive Halo has been on life support since 2011. It's done. Anything done now is a resurrection and kudos if it succeeds. I've moved past pretending this place has any influence over Halo's future and that discussing every semantic to death is worth any effort.

If 343 can release a game that looks like Halo, sounds like Halo and plays at least mostly like Halo that's great. But more importantly I just want to have fun. I want to hop on for a few hours with the boyz and capture some flags. I have a full time career, I have my hobby in my YouTube channel that passed 50k subscribers this year, I'm getting married, buying a house and training for a triathlon. When I game, I want something fun with a hint of competitive to get my blood running. If I play with friends, I want something we can have a laugh and banter about whilst we play. I don't particularly want to play a game then go on a forum and bitch about every issue with it anymore. Bigger fish to fry y'know?

If the game is bad, the aiming doesn't work etc. etc. then Halo will remain dead. I've had 19 years of enjoyment, that's ok. There are other games to play these days.

Besides, we've already got the dream: we can try the new Halo without paying 343!

The competitive CE community still LANs to this day, I was invited to a LAN just last month down in TX and it was the 4th or 5th in that city this year that I'd heard of. I don't think any other halo game comes close to this level of fan investment or ever will. This is the only thing I hold onto halo for. So yea, I'm with you on not discussing hate for new halos, they're not worth the effort and 343 doesn't deserve the attention to begin with.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

You can care just don't care too much. Its fun to talk about Halo and its fine to talk a little shit about the game but maintaining the proper distance between your own head space and the things you don't enjoy and aren't in control of is something everyone should be aware of. Talk about the game and give feedback sure that's whatever but don't sit there just raging about a game or thinking about 343 all the time for nothing. It won't do anything for you that's positive. Its a big world with a lot of hobbies or even if we were just being specific to gaming there are plenty of other options. No need to be tied to Halo

51 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

This was a real cathartic downvote session. Thank you for this.

I had to stop reading at him saying "who's to say midship wasn't stretched out because of nade spam?" What a fucking idiot. 

• Like (+1) 4

it's been 10 years, how are people still defending sprint

the only argument for it is the blissful ignorance of what it does to the gameplay. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

it's been 10 years, how are people still defending spring

latest?cb=20120813143148

Boing, bitch.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Hooked 2

5 hours ago, SMARTAN 427 said:

All this talk about just trying to enjoy the new game if possible, and not waste energy hating on it all the time?

Well, I can say this. Halo 4 was my first big online Halo experience (had been a fan since 05 but never had XBL or a 360 until 2012). I gotta say, the ignorant bliss of being an unwitting casual back then was awesome. Don't know if I have ever had THAT much fun since.

It absolutely SUCKED when I started to git gud, tried to get better at the game, only to look it up and find out that the (especially competitive) community frickin HATED the game and just absolutely detested everything about it.

Not going to lie, I sometimes wonder if my H5 experience and on was possibly poisoned by that. Never again will I care as much what the competitive community collectively thinks. It can't even decide on anything barring 'REMOVE IT' anyway.

So I am a bit cautiously optimistic for Infinite. It looks like it will play similar to H4's Legendary BRs gametype, with added equipment pickups. And I could honestly be pretty cool with that.

I've mentioned this before but Halo 5 is by no means a bad game, infact it's actually pretty good, but my expectations for what Halo should be definitely poisoned my experience with that game to the point that I didn't have fun playing it because it didn't meet those expectations. I've been critical of Infinite for it's graphics in the showcase but gameplay wise it actually looks like it has the potential to be pretty fun, which is really all you can ask for in a video game. If you're going into Infinite with some wild expectations and then end up inevitably disappointed, then that's really your own fault.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why was my post deleted?

343 adding the H2 Br into a third Halo is shitting us out of a new Halo and milking the franchise.

• WutFace (+0) 3
  • Salt (-1) 1

32 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

Why was my post deleted?

343 adding the H2 Br into a third Halo is shitting us out of a new Halo and milking the franchise.

Because majority of the fan base loves the BR. The h2 design is the best design it’s had too. 

3 hours ago, Botheredhat360 said:

it's been 10 years, how are people still defending spring

the only argument for it is the blissful ignorance of what it does to the gameplay. 

Reddit never changes there still repeating the same braindead arguments for years on end such as  “SpArTaNs sHoUlD bE aBle tO SpRinT” as well to justify it being in the game. 🙄

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mow said:

I've mentioned this before but Halo 5 is by no means a bad game, infact it's actually pretty good, but my expectations for what Halo should be definitely poisoned my experience with that game to the point that I didn't have fun playing it because it didn't meet those expectations. I've been critical of Infinite for it's graphics in the showcase but gameplay wise it actually looks like it has the potential to be pretty fun, which is really all you can ask for in a video game. If you're going into Infinite with some wild expectations and then end up inevitably disappointed, then that's really your own fault.

Agreed. I thought that I was going to enjoy H5 when it first came out. I'm thinking the same for Infinite. Hopefully, unlike 5, I can actually have some fun this time around.

Take Warzone, up the playercount to 32 vs 32 at a minimum, let us fy Pelicans and add all the cool vehicles from Halo Wars 1/2 into MP and I'm sold. I just wanna use a Pelican in multiplayer please its been 19 years lemme fly the Pelican in MP

9 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Take Warzone, up the playercount to 32 vs 32 at a minimum, let us fy Pelicans and add all the cool vehicles from Halo Wars 1/2 into MP and I'm sold. I just wanna use a Pelican in multiplayer please its been 19 years lemme fly the Pelican in MP

tenor.gif?itemid=5728640

I've been away for a few years and forgot how excessively long people's posts are here. Appreciate the passion but brevity people! ❤️ 

Can someone please give me a summary of the Beyond community's opinion of Infinite?

Chur

1 minute ago, KurtiZ said:

I've been away for a few years and forgot how excessively long people's posts are here. Brevity people! ❤️ 

Can someone please give me a summary of the Beyond community's opinion of Infinite?

Chur

:hooked::wutface:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KurtiZ said:

I've been away for a few years and forgot how excessively long people's posts are here. Appreciate the passion but brevity people! ❤️ 

Chur

Honestly the majority of the feedback was about the graphics. Generally people like the art style but the detail is lacking. The feedback was negative. There was a fair bit of emotional doomsaying when we predictably saw sprint. Nobody can really give gameplay feedback since we haven't seen real gameplay. People are happy that the grapple hook and other additions are on map equipment pickups in MP. People are generally happy with the F2P announcement with a few people against it or generally worried. Weapons look interesting to me personally

• Upvote (+1) 3

13 hours ago, timeforkoalas said:

Especially with the FTP announcement, it seems like a BR mode is a real possibility. How do you all see that playing out with Halo's sandbox and does that shed any light on core mechanics? How could a BR in Halo stand out from the rest?

For example, I'd have to think that weapons would almost all need to be projectile in a BR on a large map. Especially on mouse and keyboard, it'd be way too easy to shoot across the map with the sniper and other rifles.

Maybe this goes against one part of BRs that attract people, but I think not relying on looting as much would be refreshing. You drop in with the default recharging shields and the gunfighter pistol. Recharging shields means no med system. Maybe a lite overshield recharges itself so it is more like a permanent shield upgrade. Loot on the map would be guns, equipment, and power ups. A killed player would just drop their guns and equipment like usual.

Ground vehicles like warthogs and mongooses would facilitate map movement. Teams of 3, like in Apex, would be perfect for warthogs.

What would Halo's equivalent of the ring be?

How would downed players / revives / respawns work?

Set in the jungles of guardian, the ring/zone deterrent would be the original concept for guardians, and players can see first ring at the start of the match to avoid getting screwed by rng, and allow intentional risk when it comes to dropping far away

Need slow projectiles, health system like reach, drop in via drop pod with a magnum and 2 grenades (not the sidekick). Fixed weapon/vehicle spawns. A well designed map. Instead of making bloated encounters, you create encounters normally, then stack them together like cells creating an organ, and organs the body, which is the map. No more of these huge fields and rolling hills nonsense.

The biggest thing would be the level design, and that just takes talented individuals. It never really comes up when discussing BR's, but it's easily the single most important piece of the puzzle

• Upvote (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

"See look, modders didn't stretch the maps for sprint when they imported them!"

I literally don't think I've ever heard a worse argument for anything Halo-related.

The single hardest quandry to solve in a H5 map is balancing the movement speed and the pistol range in a way that doesn't end in players endlessly cycling through their abilities to escape without ever being properly punished.

Which, by the way, *ahem* is the problem with almost every forge map out there. Some just make H3 maps, and they suck, some upscale maps, and they suck, and some have come up with more clever ways to mend that steaming pile of combat garbage. I didn't invent them, but I've used them, and coming from one who's dealt with it for 5 years now, that post is laughable. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Halo and Battle Royale is a dog idea. Let's not.

It really could work. All the parts are there, thematically and otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

27 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Halo and Battle Royale is a dog idea. Let's not.

Its not like that's any different than the last 10 years of Halo anyways. At least it could be fun and different. We've just been stuck with stuff they try to take seriously even though its just not a good idea and plays poorly. There's a reason people are out here playing games from half a series ago most of the time. I guess what I'm saying is we've already see their take on the whole balanced competitive arena approach along with an attempt at putting spartans in CoD before that so what do we really have to lose?

• Like (+1) 1