CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Since it's going to be free, do any of you think they're gonna add Infinite MP to MCC? Sort of like they did with with H5 beta and have the MP accessible through the MCC menu.

Honestly the older I get, the more I find myself moving towards that mindset @Shekkles. If Infinite fails competitively at least I know I'll have a fun social experience. I can scratch my competitive itch elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

>bad game is now completely free to play unless you want to buy a watermelon skin for the AR

Oh well I'm sold.

AND I see we're conflating muh lore with campaign quality again.

1 hour ago, NavG123 said:

READING THIS GOT ME HYPED. GET THAT MONEY, GET THAT GIRL, GET THAT SHELTER, GET FIT, GET JACKED, EFF THE HATERS. THIS IS EFFING REAL EFFING LIFE RIGHT HERE BOYS. THIS IS WHAT PEAK PERFORMANCE LOOKS LIKE.

The definition of BDE. Good attitude going into this launch, boys.

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

Here's how I see it: I'm done hating on Halo. We're never going to get classic Halo back with the exception of MCC and I am having a fantastic time playing it, warts and all. Hating on it has gotten me nothing and nowhere. Playing it has given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

Complaining about BR spread, bloom, sprint, clamber, AA's, art and all the rest had given me some enjoyment and catharsis for the poor decisions that have been made over time, but you know what? I still have almost 1000 hours in MCC since launch, I still organize Halo 1/2/3 campaign playthroughs with my brother at least once a year. The boyz still get on and play BTB matchmaking for fun.

Hating on Halo has got me nothing but... well hate. I said it before: The more I visit this forum the less I enjoy MCC. If I have a gaming night coming up where we plan to chill and play some Halo 3 BTB, I don't visit here for a few days.

Competitive Halo has been on life support since 2011. It's done. Anything done now is a resurrection and kudos if it succeeds. I've moved past pretending this place has any influence over Halo's future and that discussing every semantic to death is worth any effort.

If 343 can release a game that looks like Halo, sounds like Halo and plays at least mostly like Halo that's great. But more importantly I just want to have fun. I want to hop on for a few hours with the boyz and capture some flags. I have a full time career, I have my hobby in my YouTube channel that passed 50k subscribers this year, I'm getting married, buying a house and training for a triathlon. When I game, I want something fun with a hint of competitive to get my blood running. If I play with friends, I want something we can have a laugh and banter about whilst we play. I don't particularly want to play a game then go on a forum and bitch about every issue with it anymore. Bigger fish to fry y'know?

If the game is bad, the aiming doesn't work etc. etc. then Halo will remain dead. I've had 19 years of enjoyment, that's ok. There are other games to play these days.

Besides, we've already got the dream: we can try the new Halo without paying 343!

While pure hate might not be productive at all just wanted to mention that there were a lot of interesting discussions about things people dislike (or some even like) in different Halo titles. You might not be directly saying this and just reporting from your standpoint but this post kinda gives me a weird vibe of "if you act like a grown up man you shouldn't care so much about a video game", but again that could just be me relating it to other people who hold that stance and you could just be sharing your standpoint.

I think the essence of your post makes sense tho, Halo is past its prime and in a way the same is true for console esports. During the 360 days there was a lot of focus on consoles and player numbers reflected that but PC really came back strong with free to play MOBA games which are absolutely giant to this day.

Always thought pretending this forum has some sort of impact on the games development was naive, no idea if you ever believed in that or if it just felt like "there is more rational discussion here than on reddit or waypoint" - which might be true but doesn't mean it gets heard, in fact I would assume bigger platforms like the two named before probably have more impact due to the bigger mass of people using them.

Wish I could enjoy some casual Halo the way you are describing it, guess it's just not the game for me, already skipped H5 entirely, mostly around to see where some custom settings / modding is going so that's why you might find me here being part of the discussion.
But overall the way you put it now makes more sense regarding your statements about clamber and sprint in your review video, nothing wrong with enjoying the game(s) for what it is. I just feel like it doesn't have to be such an emotional discussion, like you can argue without either just being a hater or a 343 apologist.
Will give you that f2p is huge tho, at least if it applies to all platforms which is likely with how microsoft is pushing their xbox/win10 ecosystem.

• Upvote (+1) 2

OS provides two additional shield layers that don’t begin decaying until damage is dealt to a full shield layer.  Once damaged, the third shield layer will decay down to a 2x OS.  If the second shield layer is damaged, it will decay down to the standard shield layer. 

Conduit is a grenade type that steals shields from a targeted enemy or object via a short range vampire beam that can be instantly activated.  Over the course of the 0.3 second duration, 0.9 shield layers can be transferred.  Even if a player starts out with full shields, he will only reach 1.9 shield layers so the second layer will begin decaying immediately.  

A Plasma Pistol’s charged shot strips OS.  The Boltshot’s short range charged shot kills OS with a headshot.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

"if you act like a grown up man you shouldn't care so much about a video game", but again that could just be me relating it to other people who hold that stance and you could just be sharing your standpoint.

Definitely not what I meant by the post. It was solely from a personal perspective and was not intended to lay judgement on anyone else. 

35 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Always thought pretending this forum has some sort of impact on the games development was naive, no idea if you ever believed in that or if it just felt like "there is more rational discussion here than on reddit or waypoint" - which might be true but doesn't mean it gets heard, in fact I would assume bigger platforms like the two named before probably have more impact due to the bigger mass of people using them.

There was once a stage when we had Josh Holmes (Creative Director) and Quinn Del-Hoyo (Sandbox Director) frequenting this forum and taking feedback. We also had feedback to ESL about HCS amongst other members. We did have some discussion with 343 here at one stage and they actively responded.

36 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Wish I could enjoy some casual Halo the way you are describing it, guess it's just not the game for me, already skipped H5 entirely, mostly around to see where some custom settings / modding is going so that's why you might find me here being part of the discussion.

I understand this completely. For me gaming needs to be challenging, but a type of challenge I enjoy. I don't play game that are easy, they bore me very quickly. Even in Halo, playing against people that can't shoot back because they're so new/bad is extremely boring for me, as is the opposite (being stomped). I get my kicks from close, tight games that are fun and balanced.

However, I have a few friends that despise difficulty. When they game, they want to relax and not think. It's an escape. That's why we play games like Deep Rock Galactic/Insurgency Co-op and Helldivers (though holy shit Helldivers gets rough). Halo 3 BTB KOTH for example gives me this. It can give really tight, close matches whilst still being casual and fun for my friends who aren't interested in sweating it up in 4s.

38 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

But overall the way you put it now makes more sense regarding your statements about clamber and sprint in your review video, nothing wrong with enjoying the game(s) for what it is. I just feel like it doesn't have to be such an emotional discussion, like you can argue without either just being a hater or a 343 apologist.

Yeah that's why I labelled it "Actual review" because a lot of people were 343-can-do-no-wrong-just-adapt-halo-boomer and then there was the 343-can-do-nothing-right-you're-bad-halo-zoomer so I wanted to be more objective compared to others. Especially trying to move beyond just talking about graphics.

• Like (+1) 2

Here’s one good thing about infinite’s MP being free. Let’s say the launch gives people a bad taste. But a patch or update whatever improves or fixes what they disliked. They’re more inclined to return. When a game someone bought leaves a shit taste and they returned it, that’s FINAL! They’re not buying this back regardless of any improvements. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

I can appreciate a more positive outlook, but not for its own sake. If I really don't enjoy Halos current direction, I don't want to deny my own reasoning and conscience and force myself to turn my brain off to enjoy it. I think we could all do with less posting - and less arguing - but I don't necessarily think it's noble to force oneself to be positive in regards to things that are objective negatives to your experience.

• Like (+1) 7

3 hours ago, Xandrith said:

I can appreciate a more positive outlook, but not for its own sake. If I really don't enjoy Halos current direction, I don't want to deny my own reasoning and conscience and force myself to turn my brain off to enjoy it. I think we could all do with less posting - and less arguing - but I don't necessarily think it's noble to force oneself to be positive in regards to things that are objective negatives to your experience.

Absolutely. Play the game and form your opinion. Give constructive feedback so the community can create its own experience. Thats the true beauty of our game. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Especially with the FTP announcement, it seems like a BR mode is a real possibility. How do you all see that playing out with Halo's sandbox and does that shed any light on core mechanics? How could a BR in Halo stand out from the rest?

For example, I'd have to think that weapons would almost all need to be projectile in a BR on a large map. Especially on mouse and keyboard, it'd be way too easy to shoot across the map with the sniper and other rifles.

Maybe this goes against one part of BRs that attract people, but I think not relying on looting as much would be refreshing. You drop in with the default recharging shields and the gunfighter pistol. Recharging shields means no med system. Maybe a lite overshield recharges itself so it is more like a permanent shield upgrade. Loot on the map would be guns, equipment, and power ups. A killed player would just drop their guns and equipment like usual.

Ground vehicles like warthogs and mongooses would facilitate map movement. Teams of 3, like in Apex, would be perfect for warthogs.

What would Halo's equivalent of the ring be?

How would downed players / revives / respawns work?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

47 minutes ago, Toast14 said:

Maps need to be great in Infinite for it too succeed.

One thing Halo 3 did very well was maps. Theyre hella balanced. I can play MLG all day without complaining once about the maps.

I think that's one of the underlying factors on Infinites success. I dont see it happening with 343. Two games and not one good map.

If the maps arnt great, Infinite flops for a third time in a row.

Mods lift my ban. Its up.

I mean coliseum was good from h5 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, timeforkoalas said:

Especially with the FTP announcement, it seems like a BR mode is a real possibility. How do you all see that playing out with Halo's sandbox and does that shed any light on core mechanics? How could a BR in Halo stand out from the rest?

For example, I'd have to think that weapons would almost all need to be projectile in a BR on a large map. Especially on mouse and keyboard, it'd be way too easy to shoot across the map with the sniper and other rifles.

Maybe this goes against one part of BRs that attract people, but I think not relying on looting as much would be refreshing. You drop in with the default recharging shields and the gunfighter pistol. Recharging shields means no med system. Maybe a lite overshield recharges itself so it is more like a permanent shield upgrade. Loot on the map would be guns, equipment, and power ups. A killed player would just drop their guns and equipment like usual.

Ground vehicles like warthogs and mongooses would facilitate map movement. Teams of 3, like in Apex, would be perfect for warthogs.

What would Halo's equivalent of the ring be?

How would downed players / revives / respawns work?

Or you play as an ODST with lower shields(or stamina as they called it), and non-regenerating health. So you need medkits, but if your shield/stamina have recharged you can't be one shot by a single AR bullet.

23 hours ago, Silos said:

I'm with you. I saw a tweet a little while back that resonated with me saying something along the lines of "People don't play Halo now expecting to have a good experience, they expect to have a nostalgic experience". That's kind of how I feel after seeing some people's criticisms.

Where I'm at with Halo is that I don't want the core strategy of the multiplayer to be "get in a power position and wait for the enemy to push". As long as the multiplayer gives me incentive to move frequently and I have a utility weapon that works well, I think there's a good possibility that I'll at least think it's okay. I don't really care about the game including this or that weapon, or how my favorite weapons from previous games work now. As long as the "flow" of the game is okay it's cool. As for campaign, give me a few cool battles and some funny looking aliens to kill and I'm down, whatever.

Fully agree with that. If the game is fun to play, I'm all in. I think a lot of people are wanting something fresh that has some familiar hints to it. We have to wait and see still, but I'm very encouraged and hopeful based on what we saw and the info that the mp is F2P now. Seems like even more of a clue that we can be in store for a more separated MP.

17 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Actually agree with every single point made on this list. Some might seem outrageous to people but I feel like there are strong arguments for each one of those for me personally.

@AArkham eh, people speak about the negatives because that's what concerns them. You probably know I am not excited for this game at all but I was saying a bunch of pages back that 120fps multiplayer is expected and them actually delivering that is a good thing, because we know the hardware of the series X can do it - maybe not at 4K but who cares, frames > resolution for shooters, if we are lucky the 120 mode runs at 1440p and not 1080p but that would just be a nice bonus.
Same with f2p, that could actually make me test the game, especially if they have a server browser.

Some people here might be all negative saying they just want the game to fail and while I don't think it adds much to the discussion saying that everybody here is only trying to see the negatives is a stretch, yes we mostly talk about negatives because that's what you want them to change right? (Not saying this forum has any impact, and ofc it's subjective).

tl:dr: 120fps and f2p multiplayer are great news, but I think everybody agrees so that's why there is no big discussion about it while the negative things are more polarizing

Idk, man. It's just weird to see us having a chance to celebrate uncharted territory that is highly successful in this era and people are still wanting it to fail. There are certainly valid criticisms to be made as I mentioned in my post. I want graphics to be better, I want a quality sandbox, I'd like the OG weapons to be there. But, it's just odd to let the much bigger conversation get hung up on those things like some people are doing. Nothing wrong with criticizing things you don't like, but there's a point where some will bitch about anything just for the sake of bitching and lose the bigger picture in all of it. Just a lack of perception.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:36 AM, Larry Sizemore said:

wBIL1cl.png

Oh, the irony is certainly not lost on this one.

15 minutes ago, TBCT said:

You guys should look at this:

https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/i0uwx2/debunking_the_myth_that_sprint_is_an_illusion/

This dude is OBSESSED with "destroying" anti-sprint arguments. It's actually pretty cringey how he speaks like it's a god script, lol. 

"See look, modders didn't stretch the maps for sprint when they imported them!"

I literally don't think I've ever heard a worse argument for anything Halo-related.

• Like (+1) 9

21 minutes ago, TBCT said:

You guys should look at this: [link to reddit]

Would rather look at one of my grandmother's stool samples.

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1
  • WutFace (+0) 3

Sprint stretching maps isn’t even my biggest complaint.  It’s how it affects pacing and player decisions.  Sprint gives the game a humpty-dumpty, start/stop, staccato pacing and player decisions go from “how do I fight my way out of this” to “how do I sprint, slide, thrust, clamber my way out of this”.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Here's how I see it: I'm done hating on Halo. We're never going to get classic Halo back with the exception of MCC and I am having a fantastic time playing it, warts and all. Hating on it has gotten me nothing and nowhere. Playing it has given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

Complaining about BR spread, bloom, sprint, clamber, AA's, art and all the rest had given me some enjoyment and catharsis for the poor decisions that have been made over time, but you know what? I still have almost 1000 hours in MCC since launch, I still organize Halo 1/2/3 campaign playthroughs with my brother at least once a year. The boyz still get on and play BTB matchmaking for fun.

Hating on Halo has got me nothing but... well hate. I said it before: The more I visit this forum the less I enjoy MCC. If I have a gaming night coming up where we plan to chill and play some Halo 3 BTB, I don't visit here for a few days.

Competitive Halo has been on life support since 2011. It's done. Anything done now is a resurrection and kudos if it succeeds. I've moved past pretending this place has any influence over Halo's future and that discussing every semantic to death is worth any effort.

If 343 can release a game that looks like Halo, sounds like Halo and plays at least mostly like Halo that's great. But more importantly I just want to have fun. I want to hop on for a few hours with the boyz and capture some flags. I have a full time career, I have my hobby in my YouTube channel that passed 50k subscribers this year, I'm getting married, buying a house and training for a triathlon. When I game, I want something fun with a hint of competitive to get my blood running. If I play with friends, I want something we can have a laugh and banter about whilst we play. I don't particularly want to play a game then go on a forum and bitch about every issue with it anymore. Bigger fish to fry y'know?

If the game is bad, the aiming doesn't work etc. etc. then Halo will remain dead. I've had 19 years of enjoyment, that's ok. There are other games to play these days.

Besides, we've already got the dream: we can try the new Halo without paying 343!

man this hits close to home and i think im right there with you. i had mostly moved on from halo after 4 and agl but finding this place and rediscovering the pro scene was awesome. working nights and being able to watch events, meme, and have fun was amazing, but that was slowly strangled away. we were all angry and it was fun for a while, but it definitely went too far. with infinite onthe horizon, im nervous i wont like the game, but honestly, i dont even game enough anymore to really let it worry me. my xbox has been taken over by my wife and kids as we find games to play with each other and any solo gamining is usually LoL on my computer. 

if the game is great, awesome! i'll play it some and watch the pro scene. if the game is shit, whatever, there are more pulls on my time than shitting on this game and i'll probably still watch the pro scene. anywhere in between, cool, thats fine too. 

i'm nervously holding on some hope that this will be a great game. i'm kind of dreading that this will suck and that it will mark the end the halo for me. but honestly at this point i've had more time away from this game as i have playing this game. its fine to move on, especially if you think it will only bring negativity by playing

• Like (+1) 3