CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

2 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

Who the fuck seriously cares about TF2 tho

That's not the point? Also more people play TF2 STILL than the MCC

Just now, Jake Teh Nub said:

That's not the point? Also more people play TF2 STILL than the MCC

The game is cringe is what I was trying to say, I fully agree the game will be worse as it is Free To Play

I just wanted to say TF2 is just fucking cringe lol.

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

Might as well make Halo Multiplat. Would have been so much better if it released on PS5 as well. Population would go through the roof. 

• Like (+1) 6

47 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

F2P made TF2 100x worse and I don't think Halo will be any different

Worse how?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is interesting, but I'm as concerned now as I am interested. How is 343i going to monetize Infinite without intrusive microtransactions? Multiplayer will be F2P and the full game will be Gamepass. Something tells me it might go beyond a loot box/req pack system. I know they've said that loot boxes won't be bought with real money...but 343i/MS have lied about Halo shit before.

On that topic of unpopular Halo opinions, I think H5's req packs were fine. It was, perhaps, a bit scummy to lock 90%+ of the game's cosmetics behind it, but I don't care about cosmetics in shooters. Like, sure, I'll make my player model appear to my liking if I ever chance into unlocking shit, but I don't ever aim to unlock cosmetics because I don't care. The most I'll ever worry about is having a female player model because of the smaller hitbox (though I don't think the hitboxes have ever been smaller in Halo). :kappa: I play Halo to shoot badkids and to get shot by betterkids. Me personally, I wouldn't give a shit if I couldn't unlock anything via gameplay alone...but I do understand that's a bad practice in principle.

I'll god damn guarantee you, though, that I'll never touch Infinite and maybe even Halo at all ever again if premium weapons ever leak into traditional 4v4 and 8v8 modes. If I have a disc for Infinite then I'll blend it into pastey ink and write a hate letter with it and mail it to Frankie.

15 minutes ago, Faeyrin said:

This is interesting, but I'm as concerned now as I am interested. How is 343i going to monetize Infinite without intrusive microtransactions? Multiplayer will be F2P and the full game will be Gamepass. Something tells me it might go beyond a loot box/req pack system. I know they've said that loot boxes won't be bought with real money...but 343i/MS have lied about Halo shit before.

On that topic of unpopular Halo opinions, I think H5's req packs were fine. It was, perhaps, a bit scummy to lock 90%+ of the game's cosmetics behind it, but I don't care about cosmetics in shooters. Like, sure, I'll make my player model appear to my liking if I ever chance into unlocking shit, but I don't ever aim to unlock cosmetics because I don't care. The most I'll ever worry about is having a female player model because of the smaller hitbox (though I don't think the hitboxes have ever been smaller in Halo). :kappa: I play Halo to shoot badkids and to get shot by betterkids. Me personally, I wouldn't give a shit if I couldn't unlock anything via gameplay alone...but I do understand that's a bad practice in principle.

I'll god damn guarantee you, though, that I'll never touch Infinite and maybe even Halo at all ever again if premium weapons ever leak into traditional 4v4 and 8v8 modes. If I have a disc for Infinite then I'll blend it into pastey ink and write a hate letter with it and mail it to Frankie.

Well lets say they just don't do MTX. They probably will on some level but lets just pretend for a second. What else would you do? I would probably produce some sort of episodic campaign content. Maybe different worlds or Halo rings and sell those as something like an expansion. The reason I'd go for that is because A LOT of the day one sales for Halo really aren't hardcore multiplayer players. They're super casual campaign guys or people who might play a little multiplayer. This might be a big plan to create attention around Halo to interest people in buying the campaign long after the first week sales. A giant pool of people playing F2P multiplayer is a lot of advertising space

16 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

Well lets say they just don't do MTX. They probably will on some level but lets just pretend for a second. What else would you do? I would probably produce some sort of episodic campaign content. Maybe different worlds or Halo rings and sell those as something like an expansion. The reason I'd go for that is because A LOT of the day one sales for Halo really aren't hardcore multiplayer players. They're super casual campaign guys or people who might play a little multiplayer. This might be a big plan to create attention around Halo to interest people in buying the campaign long after the first week sales

Kind of like how they wanted Spartan Ops to go? Well, it surely can't be received as poorly if they use characters and lore that people actually give a damn about. I personally thought the concept of Spartan Ops was cool, but the characters were as flat as shaken soda and they were all nobodies in the canon except Lasky but his role was minimal. I guess there was Halsey too but all her involvement in the Janus Key shit went nowhere. Or maybe it did. Probably got resolved in a fuckin' comic.

Now, if we had an Arbiter episode with the unique mechanic of in depth sword fighting? Hell yeah. A Linda episode with the longest distance sniping Halo has seen? I'm game. A Kelly episode where you're cracked out with dual SMGs and running around faster than Usain Bolt without actually sprinting? Yes. I'll be a repeat customer. An episode from the perspective of Brohammer where Chief basically carries you through missions? Eh, well, they'd actually have to make good friendly AI for that and I doubt they could ever do justice for Chief that way unless it's extremely on rails.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Faeyrin said:

Kind of like how they wanted Spartan Ops to go? Well, it surely can't be received as poorly if they use characters and lore that people actually give a damn about. I personally thought the concept of Spartan Ops was cool, but the characters were as flat as shaken soda and they were all nobodies in the canon.

An Arbiter episode with the unique mechanic of in depth sword fighting? Hell yeah. A Linda episode with the longest distance sniping Halo has seen? I'm game. A Kelly episode where you're cracked out with dual SMGs and running around faster than Usain Bolt without actually sprinting? Yes. I'll be a repeat customer. An episode from the perspective of Brohammer where Chief basically carries you through missions? Eh, well, they'd actually have to make good friendly AI for that and I doubt they could ever do justice for Chief that way unless it's extremely on rails.

Yeah something similar just uhh better than spartan ops. There wasn't enough content in spartan ops and 343 would have to give up their dreams of telling a bullshit story but I think it could be cool

Huge news about F2P. Will give so many more people the opportunity to play and reduce the barrier to entry.

Honestly couldn't care less if this means there are some micro-transactions, that's never really bothered me.

• Like (+1) 3

The thing that really gets me with 343 and campaign is that they've proven that they can tell good stories and that they have access to the people capable of it. The whole hunt the truth stuff was actually really good. It had me thinking the H5 story was about to be great. Then it turned out that it hardly connected to it at all and the themes and marketing around that whole little series generally had absolutely nothing to do with the game or the tone of story they told with H5 for some insane reason. They just don't put this stuff into their games and its confusing

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

5 hours ago, timeforkoalas said:

Another unpopular opinion... oddball is a snoozefest to both play and watch and we were better off without it in HCS. 

:wutface:

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I have gotten into more arguments on Reddit than I can count with people who think Halo 5 routinely hovering around 40th place on XBL's most played list (as Microsoft's flagship title, an exclusive, and going primarily against multi-platform titles) and MCC on PC having 6,000 concurrent players on Steam (putting it 150-200th place) is "still a huge population" and/or "totally acceptable numbers" is fucking baffling, defeating, and worth losing faith in humanity over. That is straight up objectively wrong. Destiny 2 has 70,000 concurrent players on PC, why the hell can't Halo hit those kinds of numbers? What happened to this treasure trove of PC-based Halo fans everyone was banking on?

Halo has massively underachieved for eight years and don't let anyone ever tell you different.

The thing is PC has a lot of good games with stable framerates that get frequent updates.
If it takes them months to get a few ports right and then most of them are unplayable when it comes to pvp if you want to use mouse and keyboard I could see why people would simply play something else.

Also the games in MCC didn't age well, back in the day their flaws didn't mean much with people being stuck on the original xbox and xbox 360, but the shooter market has changed a lot. Especially on PC it's hard to find shooters that feel as clunky as most MCC titles these days.

• Like (+1) 1

To be fair, the average does seem to have leveled out around 15k since H3 has released. :simms:

1 minute ago, NAK said:

To be fair, the average does seem to have leveled out around 15k since H3 has released. :simms:

It won't last.

• Like (+1) 2

Unpopular opinion: Halo only became popular because it was a console exclusive. If it was a PC exclusive it would at best have been relegated to a footnote in gaming history.

• Like (+1) 2

Pc halo you can’t use a mouse and feel like you’re making a wrong decision outside of one fucking weapon type(the sniper) is why pc is such shit! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

The thing that really gets me with 343 and campaign is that they've proven that they can tell good stories and that they have access to the people capable of it. The whole hunt the truth stuff was actually really good. It had me thinking the H5 story was about to be great. Then it turned out that it hardly connected to it at all and the themes and marketing around that whole little series generally had absolutely nothing to do with the game or the tone of story they told with H5 for some insane reason. They just don't put this stuff into their games and its confusing

Hunt the truth is still in my top 5 greatest tragedies in gaming. All that raw acting talent and effort, and rock solid writing, for nothing. Consistently likable characters and plots that leave you on the edge of your seat, just gone dude. Never seen again. Irrelevant.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, HeX Reapers said:

It won't last.

It'll almost surely maintain a population higher than it was post H2's launch (10-12k is my guess), especially if they actually release and implement the things they talked about in today's community update. 

What if Halo: Infinite is fun tho

I can't see how F2P Halo Infinite MP is anything else but a good thing for the game and the franchise. The most popular games in the world right now are F2P in some form, Fortnite, CS:GO, Modern Warfare Warzone etc etc. If they use the same battle pass system they use in Halo MCC, which allows you to go back to older passes to unlock missed content, then I see zero issue with this move. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Shekkles said:

Here's how I see it: I'm done hating on Halo. We're never going to get classic Halo back with the exception of MCC and I am having a fantastic time playing it, warts and all. Hating on it has gotten me nothing and nowhere. Playing it has given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

Complaining about BR spread, bloom, sprint, clamber, AA's, art and all the rest had given me some enjoyment and catharsis for the poor decisions that have been made over time, but you know what? I still have almost 1000 hours in MCC since launch, I still organize Halo 1/2/3 campaign playthroughs with my brother at least once a year. The boyz still get on and play BTB matchmaking for fun.

Hating on Halo has got me nothing but... well hate. I said it before: The more I visit this forum the less I enjoy MCC. If I have a gaming night coming up where we plan to chill and play some Halo 3 BTB, I don't visit here for a few days.

Competitive Halo has been on life support since 2011. It's done. Anything done now is a resurrection and kudos if it succeeds. I've moved past pretending this place has any influence over Halo's future and that discussing every semantic to death is worth any effort.

If 343 can release a game that looks like Halo, sounds like Halo and plays at least mostly like Halo that's great. But more importantly I just want to have fun. I want to hop on for a few hours with the boyz and capture some flags. I have a full time career, I have my hobby in my YouTube channel that passed 50k subscribers this year, I'm getting married, buying a house and training for a triathlon. When I game, I want something fun with a hint of competitive to get my blood running. If I play with friends, I want something we can have a laugh and banter about whilst we play. I don't particularly want to play a game then go on a forum and bitch about every issue with it anymore. Bigger fish to fry y'know?

If the game is bad, the aiming doesn't work etc. etc. then Halo will remain dead. I've had 19 years of enjoyment, that's ok. There are other games to play these days.

Besides, we've already got the dream: we can try the new Halo without paying 343!

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shekkles said:

Here's how I see it: I'm done hating on Halo. We're never going to get classic Halo back with the exception of MCC and I am having a fantastic time playing it, warts and all. Hating on it has gotten me nothing and nowhere. Playing it has given me hundreds of hours of enjoyment.

Complaining about BR spread, bloom, sprint, clamber, AA's, art and all the rest had given me some enjoyment and catharsis for the poor decisions that have been made over time, but you know what? I still have almost 1000 hours in MCC since launch, I still organize Halo 1/2/3 campaign playthroughs with my brother at least once a year. The boyz still get on and play BTB matchmaking for fun.

Hating on Halo has got me nothing but... well hate. I said it before: The more I visit this forum the less I enjoy MCC. If I have a gaming night coming up where we plan to chill and play some Halo 3 BTB, I don't visit here for a few days.

Competitive Halo has been on life support since 2011. It's done. Anything done now is a resurrection and kudos if it succeeds. I've moved past pretending this place has any influence over Halo's future and that discussing every semantic to death is worth any effort.

If 343 can release a game that looks like Halo, sounds like Halo and plays at least mostly like Halo that's great. But more importantly I just want to have fun. I want to hop on for a few hours with the boyz and capture some flags. I have a full time career, I have my hobby in my YouTube channel that passed 50k subscribers this year, I'm getting married, buying a house and training for a triathlon. When I game, I want something fun with a hint of competitive to get my blood running. If I play with friends, I want something we can have a laugh and banter about whilst we play. I don't particularly want to play a game then go on a forum and bitch about every issue with it anymore. Bigger fish to fry y'know?

If the game is bad, the aiming doesn't work etc. etc. then Halo will remain dead. I've had 19 years of enjoyment, that's ok. There are other games to play these days.

Besides, we've already got the dream: we can try the new Halo without paying 343!

READING THIS GOT ME HYPED. GET THAT MONEY, GET THAT GIRL, GET THAT SHELTER, GET FIT, GET JACKED, EFF THE HATERS. THIS IS EFFING REAL EFFING LIFE RIGHT HERE BOYS. THIS IS WHAT PEAK PERFORMANCE LOOKS LIKE.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1
  • Hooked 3