CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

3 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

CE Elites on legendary. They've got a better strafe than MLG H3

From what I recall, that was about the extent of what they did but it is probably better than the recent games at least

5 minutes ago, TonyDHFC said:

It's not like most games had a instant few shot kill gun in the needler on half the enemies in every level.

Not a particularly fun or skillful gun, however.

I can still have a blast in CE Legendary. It just has a great gameplay experience, a variety of enemies that require a bit more strategy, and a lot of choice in how you want to encounter everything.

After mini-speedrunning Halo 2 and knowing when/how to avoid the uNfAiR jAcKaLs and such, Halo 2 is still really fun for me too. Halo 3 is kinda whatever... like if I'm going through a legendary Halo campaign run I'll usually play it just because. Though I will say co-op LASO was actually a pretty good experience, for the most part.

Reach and 4 is where it just becomes a chore. The only way I really enjoy either of those campaigns is by actually doing a "speedrun" and sprinting to beat it as fast as possible, but that's not really enjoying the Halo experience.

Halo 5 I beat on Legendary once on launch week, once more on Normal? and couldn't bare to do it again.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JordanB said:

I can still have a blast in CE Legendary. It just has a great gameplay experience, a variety of enemies that require a bit more strategy, and a lot of choice in how you want to encounter everything.

After mini-speedrunning Halo 2 and knowing when/how to avoid the uNfAiR jAcKaLs and such, Halo 2 is still really fun for me too. Halo 3 is kinda whatever... like if I'm going through a legendary Halo campaign run I'll usually play it just because. Though I will say co-op LASO was actually a pretty good experience, for the most part.

Reach and 4 is where it just becomes a chore. The only way I really enjoy either of those campaigns is by actually doing a "speedrun" and sprinting to beat it as fast as possible, but that's not really enjoying the Halo experience.

Halo 5 I beat on Legendary once on launch week, once more on Normal? and couldn't bare to do it again.

Only good thing about h5 campaign was it’s coop. It’s coop unfortunately was the best in the series.(I’m talking connection and stability) 

24 minutes ago, Ugug said:

How many people here have actually enjoyed the combat in Halo's campaigns at all in a long time? If you're good enough to have a high rank in competitive multiplayer playlists it seems to me like the campaign enemies are way too slow, dumb, and unvaried to be any fun. It's not like Doom Eternal where Nightmare difficulty is a legitimate challenge for a good multiplayer player.

It's never really been great imo.  There are some good individual set pieces, but as a whole the campaigns are like a 6 or 7 out of 10.  Really, the only shooter campaign i would rate higher than that in recent memory was Titanfall 2's.

22 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

There's an infinitesimally small fulcrum between AI that's too easy and legendary jackal snipers. It's almost impossible to program AI that feels like a legitimate strategic challenge rather than a set of exploitable algorithms.

I can't imagine its a coincidence that AI is always a complaint.  I don't think game devs want to resort to simple decision trees (Charge or hide) or make as many bullet spongey enemies as they do. You can make super-smart enemies, but then they feel omniscient and unfair. How do you make an enemy that can't take a ton of damage also fun or rewarding to fight?  You can make them super hard to hit but that's frustrating especially for players without great aim. You can give them patterned attacks, but those generally change as they take damage so again... bullet spongey.

1 hour ago, Landonio said:

Are Reamis, Toastomgi, and timeforkoalas the same person

What about QuietMan, NeverGoFullCanc, and RatherSilentMr?

• Thonking (+0) 1

Tough Luck, Fog and maybe Catch on Heroic, in my opinion, makes for a satisfying experience without the typical Legendary BS. I like the enemies keeping me on my toes without resorting to constant cover cowering or always running a noob combo.

• Like (+1) 1

I was pointing towards how AI react with MC. AI didnt seem to be much "alive". Could just be the difficulty setting. Still nothing "stuck out" as AI being as interactive as previous Halo enemy units.

I remember playing campaign and trying to stick elites. Them michael Jackson moonwalking right out from being stuck. "Hehe"

The game lacks character beyond that flying grunt.

1 hour ago, Ugug said:

Not a particularly fun or skillful gun, however.

Yeah to be fair when I get done by B 2the rute and OMG iTz Jackal by the needler in the campaign I do feel outplayed.

They'd be good with the Suddoths.

46 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

What about QuietMan, NeverGoFullCanc, and RatherSilentMr?

All ME! 

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

You can make them super hard to hit but that's frustrating especially for players without great aim. You can give them patterned attacks, but those generally change as they take damage so again... bullet spongey.

There’s a reason why different difficulties exist. Smart AI is very much a possible way to go but it’s usually not added because it’s too hard. There was some military game like this(I saw a video of it but I know I’ve never played it) and the guy went on how it had smart AI. There wasn’t a direct pattern or if there was the AI did a good job of preventing the player from figuring it out. 
Overall in shooting games I just can’t stand it. In an mmo it’s perfectly fine when certain mobs are op AF. There’s a lot of strategy that goes into defeating those mobs and bosses. But in a shooting game it’s just an annoyance.

The harder devs try to make AI smart the dumber they seem. At the end of the day they don't need to be smart they need to be hard. Dark Souls / DOOM are the only games I know where a lot of the enemies don't deaggro if you run away, they just keep chasing you (the first black knight is DS1 has followed me across the damn planet). It has like 2 states; idle  and aggro'd. I think at the end of the day that makes for a more convincing and challenging experience than all the frills of how they might behave if this or that. Just make em tough to fight. The CE Hunters are probably still the most solid example of a well designed AI in Halo. 

• Like (+1) 7

2 hours ago, Ugug said:

From what I recall, that was about the extent of what they did but it is probably better than the recent games at least

They strafe a ton, will constantly pursue you even at long ranges, and do pretty consistent yet fair damage with their weapons. 

They may be "dumber" than later iterations of Elites, but they at least give the impression of being much smarter than their later counterparts because of their raw, unbridled aggression. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Toastomgi said:

I was pointing towards how AI react with MC. AI didnt seem to be much "alive". Could just be the difficulty setting. Still nothing "stuck out" as AI being as interactive as previous Halo enemy units.

I remember playing campaign and trying to stick elites. Them michael Jackson moonwalking right out from being stuck. "Hehe"

The game lacks character beyond that flying grunt.

Thats a good point.  How many sticks did they land in that demo? A half dozen?  they didn't try to stick an elite, so we don't know if they dodge them or not.

It could be totally fine.   There really wasn't enough there and the difficulty was clearly too easy to really judge the AI.  Red brutes looked aggro and survive sticks even on an easier difficulty, so i don't need them to dodge them.  Brutes were never that nimble.  We didn't get to see if the elites dodge stickies, so hopefully they do since they're supposed to be the nimble ones. Hopefully grunts fight until the local commander is dead then run away, as they always have.  Occasionally saying a funny thing along the way.  I always liked that touch, thats all i need out of them. Suicide grunts are still there, which is also fine.  Campaign doesn't really need any innovation in the AI front, everything you need has already been done they just need to not fuck it up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Eh, I could give a hundred examples of games where the publisher just wanted the dev to makes a good sequel and the dev team went off and did stupid shit. 

Also as for the pride and accomplishment bit from Star Wars Battlefront - I don't know if any of you realized this but it wasn't an EA rep that made that quote, it came from Dice themselves through their community manager. They made that decision on their own, most likely because they got a huge chunk of the mtx profits (as many devs do). They themselves thought that was a good idea and defended it, somehow that gets twisted into being the publishers fault though. 

Also realize there are plenty of EA games where that is not true for. That coop game. A Way Out, had no mtx, no season pass, no premium bundle, and they gave the dev all the profits. It's all about the deal the developer strikes with the publisher, a lot of them don't make great deals and they have no one to blame but themselves. At the end of the day no publisher is sitting there micro managing some game team. Chances are if the game sucks its the devs fault. 

Sure. I'm not trying to point out that they stick their nose in every game in development. Just that they have been shown to stick their nose in and its more than likely for the worse.

2 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

The harder devs try to make AI smart the dumber they seem. At the end of the day they don't need to be smart they need to be hard. Dark Souls / DOOM are the only games I know where a lot of the enemies don't deaggro if you run away, they just keep chasing you (the first black knight is DS1 has followed me across the damn planet). It has like 2 states; idle  and aggro'd. I think at the end of the day that makes for a more convincing and challenging experience than all the frills of how they might behave if this or that. Just make em tough to fight. The CE Hunters are probably still the most solid example of a well designed AI in Halo. 

Ehh, there's some big reasons towards not making smart AI, and making them smarter can have several effects, one of which is they feel simple(aka. "Dumb") because they go the logical route. Another reason is the player will feel like it cheats. Take RTS' for example, lets say you have an airstrike which you can launch at any spot not in the fog of war, so you use your scout with max visibility range to.... Scout, to see the player's units and call in an airstrike on them. Player goes "wtf! This AI cheats!" As the player just got attacked by an invisible foe. Which leads into: make it fun, not smart. You can make a great fun AI to play against, and there'll be a lot of players exclaiming "this AI is so smart!" While, really, it's dumb as a rock.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe I just don't get it as everyone's praising it, but eh...?

23 minutes ago, TBCT said:

Yeah this is actually good. It's just a variation of classic motives, but hey, that's what everyone wanted.

Btw I still cat believe how the game looks.  You can say that the artstyle was always meh, but technically, H4 and H5 were good, H4 even small miracle. Holy shit, this wasn't supposed to happen. Something died inside me. :tear:

43 minutes ago, TBCT said:

Haven't listened to it yet, but Gareth Coker is a good composer. He did the Ori soundtracks.

• Fire (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SpitFlame said:

But why? Aren't they aware of the many problems caused by sprint? What will it take to convince them?

Other games to stop doing it because they love to chase trends

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Instead of grapple hooking.

What if.

We used.

Mancanonns and teleporters.

• Hooked 10

I just wish they would hire the original couple of guys for the sounds of infinite. That would've really helped to make things feel like a return to form. All of the new music is just a new take on things like this.

Those two guys killed it in the original trilogy 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBCT said:

45 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

Yeah this is actually good. It's just a variation of classic motives, but hey, that's what everyone wanted.

Btw I still cat believe how the game looks.  You can say that the artstyle was always meh, but technically, H4 and H5 were good, H4 even small miracle. Holy shit, this wasn't supposed to happen. Something died inside me. :tear:

Hmm to me is sounds good. Definitely the right direction, especially in comparison to H4 and H5. However, it still feels like it's missing something.:thinking: