CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

I think they really just missed the point of what they were trying to show. For someone like me who is interested in some of the smaller details I was interested in just watching the guns fire but for a more casual player they really just started throwing up bricks. They didn't go into depth explaining new mechanics, the map or that upgrade tab vidoc style to hype themselves up and explain things. They didn't have intense music with cuts to exciting gameplay and snippets of cut scenes that would intrigue someone. They just had a brute jerking himself off at the end and someone walking through mostly static AI that weren't really doing anything while not really showing off gameplay of anything new or exciting. I don't think they even knew what they wanted to do with it in the end and it shows. It just left people asking all the wrong questions like "where has this game been for five years?" 

That video was the equivalent of throwing a controller in my hands on the second mission of Halo CE, on the easiest difficulty possible, and telling me to drive around a little bit and shoot the guns at various things. Not really the reveal you'd want to present professionally imo after five years and an announcement to hype people up to watch it

This is one my thoughts too. Nothing felt exciting. It was just meh cool I guess

If this demo had been shown for any other game, different alien enemies, different supersoldier to play as from some random developer without using the Halo brand nobody would even be talking about it. 

• Like (+1) 6

5 hours ago, Sosa Baby said:

343 has some massive problems internally judging by the reviews...... 

I just want to point out, this is not uncommon issue when it comes to IT companies. I have friend working in IT for many years and he described the same thing.

Pretty much, he comes and goes when better opportunity arises, even ended up in the same company he left months ago, only to continue on the same project while there has been no progress whatsoever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

And I can promise you 343 does not want to remove sprint lol.

But why? Aren't they aware of the many problems caused by sprint? What will it take to convince them?

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I think they really just missed the point of what they were trying to show. For someone like me who is interested in some of the smaller details I was interested in just watching the guns fire but for a more casual player they really just started throwing up bricks. They didn't go into depth explaining new mechanics, the map or that upgrade tab vidoc style to hype themselves up and explain things. They didn't have intense music with cuts to exciting gameplay and snippets of cut scenes that would intrigue someone. They just had a brute jerking himself off at the end and someone walking through mostly static AI that weren't really doing anything while not really showing off gameplay of anything new or exciting. I don't think they even knew what they wanted to do with it in the end and it shows. It just left people asking all the wrong questions like "where has this game been for five years?" 

That video was the equivalent of throwing a controller in my hands on the second mission of Halo CE, on the easiest difficulty possible, and telling me to drive around a little bit and shoot the guns at various things. Not really the reveal you'd want to present professionally imo after five years and an announcement to hype people up to watch it

Well said.

• Hooked 1

52 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

It's possible for publishers to ask for things but honestly from my experience it rarely happens.  Gamers love to blame publishers on failures, EA for Anthem, Activision for Destiny, Microsoft for Halo.. the publishers are not the problem 99% of the time.  It's the Developers.

And I can promise you 343 does not want to remove sprint lol.

I guess you only really hear about development issues from disgruntled employees after the fact and never anything from the other side. But when you hear about something like EA pushing Visceral to include multiplayer, microtransactions, and to shift from survival horror to action for Dead Space or the infamous "pride and accomplishment". Its not hard to see why gamers would turn that way.

6 hours ago, Sosa Baby said:

343 has some massive problems internally judging by the reviews...... 

This explains so much. No wonder Infinite in particular is looking like a scrambled together mess with no clear direction. Five years and half a billion dollars produces what we saw last Tuesday? Only a broken management and poor organization of labor and resources could ever produce the utter trash and mediocrity that 343 has been so great at delivering. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

8 hours ago, darkstar said:

Yeah this would honestly be ideal. 

To add to the EXP progression system, they really need to bring that back per playlist as well as a global military rank. And if we’re gonna bring back the match composer (hopefully) there’d be a rank per game type (so you could be, say, a commander in slayer, a captain in CTF and a major in assault, for example). I also really liked how in Halo 3, your global rank was tied to your highest skill achieved (so you’d have to reach level 20 to be a captain, 30 to be a major, and so on). This would allow us to bring back the Golden Bar of Shame, so we’d have something to make fun of people for haha. 

Another idea I had was incorporating Reach’s credit system. So one could still earn cR for in-game performance, completing challenges, and earning commendations, which would allow the player to unlock cosmetics. However, unlike Reach, you cant just simply purchase whatever you could afford, but would first have to unlock it, through achievements or commendations. So for example, unlocking the Scout shoulders would require the player to earn the achievement of splattering someone with a mongoose in a ranked FFA (using Halo 3’s achievement as an example) which, upon completion, would then allow the player to purchase the shoulders for however much cR it costs, say 40,000 cR. This would make unlocking armor much more satisfying and challenging like in Halo 3, but still allow for the cR currency earned from in-game performance that people seemed to enjoy from Reach. 

Any thoughts? It’s something I’ve thought of quite a bit, and I think it combines the best elements of both games. 

Yes this sounds perfect. 

• Like (+1) 2

And sorry to doublepost, but Favyn back with great commentary and feedback per usual. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This quote from Frank O'Connor about Infinites "looks" one year ago is...well...what is it?

“Obviously the special citizen will be Scarlett,” said O’Connor, “and we’ve worked with that hardware team to make sure the game shows up amazingly on it, and work with them to make sure that we know how to make sure the game look amazing on it, but it will be for Xbox One and it will look incredible.”

Amazingly...Incredible...

https://gamingbolt.com/halo-infinite-plays-and-looks-fantastic-on-xbox-one-343-industries

Hmmm...

• Hooked 2

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

And sorry to doublepost, but Favyn back with great commentary and feedback per usual. 

Was just about to post this. Perfectly summarizes my feelings after that reveal. It's not just surface level things like graphics and the hilariously generic weapon designs, it's the stuff underneath and it's implications on the game at large: Mainly sprint/slide/clamber, the "new" equipment and the super uninspired new weapon sandbox.

11 minutes ago, FireAtWill said:

This quote from Frank O'Connor about Infinites "looks" one year ago is...well...what is it?

“Obviously the special citizen will be Scarlett,” said O’Connor, “and we’ve worked with that hardware team to make sure the game shows up amazingly on it, and work with them to make sure that we know how to make sure the game look amazing on it, but it will be for Xbox One and it will look incredible.”

Amazingly...Incredible...

https://gamingbolt.com/halo-infinite-plays-and-looks-fantastic-on-xbox-one-343-industries

Hmmm...

Frankie has been on a lying streak for 8+ years so really no suprise here. When was the last time he said something and it actually happened? I can't think of anything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 6
  • Hooked 1

Franklez is beaten at this point but I don't think he is the one to blame. I have a feeling he has been just a pawn used to represent Halo brand to give 343 some familiarity. Something goes wrong, you have to change some faces.

He seems to me as a smart person. If nothing else, the short story he wrote for Halo Evolutions was very good.

The bar is set so incredibly low that I have no expectations left at this point, at all. 

The multiplayer reveal could show off a fucking third person hero shooter with Infection becoming the main competitive mode of play for all I care. 

The game's gonna launch and be dead within 6 months. The lore kid hivemind can keep sucking themselves off on Twitter about how Infinite "returns to Halo's roots" and is gonna be a wild success. I'll have the smug satisfaction of being proven right when the game launches. 

If I'm wrong, good for them. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Salt (-1) 1

21 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

The bar is set so incredibly low that I have no expectations left at this point, at all. 

The multiplayer reveal could show off a fucking third person hero shooter with Infection becoming the main competitive mode of play for all I care. 

The game's gonna launch and be dead within 6 months. The lore kid hivemind can keep sucking themselves off on Twitter about how Infinite "returns to Halo's roots" and is gonna be a wild success. I'll have the smug satisfaction of being proven right when the game launches. 

If I'm wrong, good for them. 

Only way this games gonna be a hit is if that rumor of the MP being free to play is true. 

I'm going to wait for the MP reveal before I go all 'haylo is kil', but as I currently stand I like what I've seen when it comes to the campaign. The pilot is actually an interesting character that doesn't make me want to shoot him and then myself. The art style looks fairly solid apart from one or two places (The new UNSC Weapons, Brute armour specifically. The latter needs to be more dinged up and metalltic, the Banished scavenged all their gear.) The grappling hook looks like as blast and I can't wait to fuck around with it in Co-Op.  Day/Night cycle and open world leave the possibility some super fun and unique encounters in campaign, particularly if the Flood are involved (Driving a Warthog through a heavily flood infested part of the ring in the middle of the night? Sign me up)

We know the grappling hook is a core ability in campaign but a pickup in MP, meaning their is already a massive difference in player movement abilities, so Arena MP still might be classic since they seem to have gotten over that fetish of "ERMAGAWD EVERY MODE HAS HAVE THE SAME MECHANICS EVEN IF THEY OBJECTIVELY SUCK ASS FOR CERTAIN MODES". My current guess would have MP seperated by Arena/Warzone, where Arena is the more stripped back, classic core Halo with the new stuff as equipment pickups on the map, and Warzone will be the more, all out, anything goes mode. 

Graphics wise I'm sort of neutral. In my order of things  I look for, graphics are probably at the lowest, and the only become an issue if they're actually awful. I have zero interest in the XSX so I was never watching the reveal to see what the XSX was capable of, my focus was entirely gameplay. Hopefully some of those technical issues with popup and low LOD can get fixed or will be less of an issue on PC's that aren't similar to XSX specs. 

And I can't see the game dying quickly unless it actually launches in a MCC 2014 state. Its on gamepass, its launching on XSX/X1/PC, and will probably have crossplay. With monthly/bi-monthly updates the game will hold a solid population, especially if mod support is solid. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

We know the grappling hook is a core ability in campaign but a pickup in MP

Too lazy to check but isn't there a "count" to the grappling hook in the gameplay trailer? If you don't have infinite grappling hooks, it really wouldn't differentiate it from it being a pickup in MP. Which makes me believe we'll still have sprint in MP

1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

massive difference in player movement abilities, so Arena MP still might be classic since they seem to

I believe they’ll go a route where we have several classic playlist and movement. Now here is a thought

match composer. The sprint in halo infinite is so Small where classic sized maps or similar are a very unique possibility. One thing I enjoy about reach is the maps can be played with sprint or no sprint. And that’s what I expect for infinite. This honestly would help greatly. And for comp I guess a mix of movement and classic rank modes could work too.  I don’t believe weapons will be beyond op accurate. I’m expecting they’ll go an h2 route where damage drop off at range.

part of me doubts though that they’d do this since 343s not good at unique ideas. This is what I would call the proper middle ground. 

40 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I believe they’ll go a route where we have several classic playlist and movement. Now here is a thought

match composer. The sprint in halo infinite is so Small where classic sized maps or similar are a very unique possibility. One thing I enjoy about reach is the maps can be played with sprint or no sprint. And that’s what I expect for infinite. This honestly would help greatly. And for comp I guess a mix of movement and classic rank modes could work too.  I don’t believe weapons will be beyond op accurate. I’m expecting they’ll go an h2 route where damage drop off at range. 

Halo reach maps...

Can't be played full stop.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

Halo reach maps...

Can't be played full stop.

Guess I’m thinking of countdown and zealot. But even the others can play well without sprint. Heck’s most of them can. They’re just bad maps in general though. They’re terribly designed. Play utterly awful.  And is this literally your only reply wtf! 

7 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Eh, I could give a hundred examples of games where the publisher just wanted the dev to makes a good sequel and the dev team went off and did stupid shit. Also as for the pride and accomplishment bit from Star Wars Battlefront - I don't know if any of you realized this but it wasn't an EA rep that made that quote, it came from Dice themselves through their community manager. They made that decision on their own, most likely because they got a huge chunk of the mtx profits (as many devs do). They themselves thought that was a good idea and defended it, somehow that gets twisted into being the publishers fault though. Also realize there are plenty of EA games where that is not true for. That coop game. A Way Out, had no mtx, no season pass, no premium bundle, and they gave the dev all the profits. It's all about the deal the developer strikes with the publisher, a lot of them don't make great deals and they have no one to blame but themselves. At the end of the day no publisher is sitting there micro managing some game team. Chances are if the game sucks its the devs fault. 

Why does the truth hurt and make people feel like they're getting bullied? 

• Like (+1) 2