CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I'll give the ranking bit a go.

First, 1-50 rank. Each number has a threshold where you need to win three times to go to the next number, except in special cases (more on that in a minute.) You could technically earn a 50 by winning 150 matches in a row. Once you reach 50, you now have the chance to earn a badass symbol (Inheritor emblem for example) along with your placement number on it in the Top 200 Players, if you consistently win matches.

Special case wins require you to effectively trample the other team in a match. Doing so bring you three marks up, or in other words, one number up. For Slayer, you need to end the match within five minutes, with the enemy team only receiving twenty kills or less. For Flag and Bomb, you need to end the match within 3 minutes, with the enemy getting only one cap/detonation or none at all. In Oddball, King, and Strongholds/3Plots, you need to end the game within five minutes, with the enemy only receiving a third or less required points to win.

Comeback wins earn you six marks up, or two numbers up. The requirement for this to happen in Slayer is for your team to be thirty kills down and win. For Flag and Bomb, for you to have not gotten any caps or detonations, alongside the enemy only needing one more, and winning. (Enemy team goes down three marks, or one number.) For Hill, Ball, and Plots, you need to be two thirds behind, and win.

Edit: Just thought of a decaying rank thing. Instead of your rank being reset every three months, your rank will drop one number every 48 hours from the last time you played a ranked match, until you reach a point where it doesn't; let's say that point is at the 10, 20, 30, and 40 mark.

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

If 1-50 didn't have crippling deranker problems I'd like it moreA.

Asit is, I prefer seasonal ranks that reset so you have to earn it each time. However, this system only works if you have a way to show off your highest achieved rank in addition to last seasons.

Nothing wrong with that. That’s also meant to stay so the game has a solid idea where you belong for this season. 

2 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Reminders about H5:

- Sprint + thrusting into walls to get to the top of said wall isn't something particularly skillful, and it's something that can be easily replicated with a ledge in classic movement Halo.

- Spring-jumps are also a thing in V7 Reach and H2A. The difference is that hitting them in those games is the difference between falling off and not falling off, where it means a half-second animation playing or not playing in Halo 5. Also they're not that hard to hit given the scoreboard trick.

I agree with most of your post except for these two.

Thrust Jumps in H5 vary in skill, and some of them absolutely require a consistent high level of execution. It's absolutely possible for even top level players to flub a Bump Thrust or Kneecap/Ramp Slide. There are so many jumps in H5 that its hard to summarize the debate in one bullet point, but I'm going to strong disagree here. H5's Thrust Jumps are among the most technical / skillful in the franchise.

As for Spring Jumps, I agree with the scoreboard buffering affecting the skill requirement, but I still believe the mechanic's overall effect on H5 is far more potent than previous games. I literally only learned how to Spring Jump in H5 last month, and now it feels like an entirely different game to me. I would like to see the timing window for Spring Jumps opened up slightly to make the natural button combo more consistent and treat it as an intentional mechanic that doesn't require buffering.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Basu said:

I always thought 1-50 is fine for MM, because MM is inherently random and it doesn't make sense to artificially make the first ten games count 100x towards you rank. The frustration of getting fucked over by a teammate during placement matches cannot be overstated.

However, I think something like H5/CoD/OW would work for a team ladder system. Aka bring back clan matches already. You create a team/clan, play your placement and then play for top spots within each divison until the end of the season. Could be super addictive and help people get into competitive Halo as a team instead of gambling by going in solo in the MLG playlist.

Having a 1-50 grind system (maybe make it less grindy than H2/MCC though, it's pretty ridiculous) and a division system at the same time would allow players to always have something to go for. Add the H3 XP system with military ranks on top and you have a game that doesn't get boring after a couple weeks like the last few Halo games.

Yeah this would honestly be ideal. 

To add to the EXP progression system, they really need to bring that back per playlist as well as a global military rank. And if we’re gonna bring back the match composer (hopefully) there’d be a rank per game type (so you could be, say, a commander in slayer, a captain in CTF and a major in assault, for example). I also really liked how in Halo 3, your global rank was tied to your highest skill achieved (so you’d have to reach level 20 to be a captain, 30 to be a major, and so on). This would allow us to bring back the Golden Bar of Shame, so we’d have something to make fun of people for haha. 

Another idea I had was incorporating Reach’s credit system. So one could still earn cR for in-game performance, completing challenges, and earning commendations, which would allow the player to unlock cosmetics. However, unlike Reach, you cant just simply purchase whatever you could afford, but would first have to unlock it, through achievements or commendations. So for example, unlocking the Scout shoulders would require the player to earn the achievement of splattering someone with a mongoose in a ranked FFA (using Halo 3’s achievement as an example) which, upon completion, would then allow the player to purchase the shoulders for however much cR it costs, say 40,000 cR. This would make unlocking armor much more satisfying and challenging like in Halo 3, but still allow for the cR currency earned from in-game performance that people seemed to enjoy from Reach. 

Any thoughts? It’s something I’ve thought of quite a bit, and I think it combines the best elements of both games. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Infinity said:

I agree with most of your post except for these two.

Thrust Jumps in H5 vary in skill, and some of them absolutely require a consistent high level of execution. It's absolutely possible for even top level players to flub a Bump Thrust or Kneecap/Ramp Slide. There are so many jumps in H5 that its hard to summarize the debate in one bullet point, but I'm going to strong disagree here. H5's Thrust Jumps are among the most technical / skillful in the franchise.

As for Spring Jumps, I agree with the scoreboard buffering affecting the skill requirement, but I still believe the mechanic's overall effect on H5 is far more potent than previous games. I literally only learned how to Spring Jump in H5 last month, and now it feels like an entirely different game to me. I would like to see the timing window for Spring Jumps opened up slightly to make the natural button combo more consistent and treat it as an intentional mechanic that doesn't require buffering.

Fair enough, I don't play H5 anymore so I'll take your word for it. 

At the same time, would you consider a ghost jump in 60FPS to be easier? Or, any disagreement that we could just place a ledge with a particular skill requirement to reach, at a particular spot if we wanted a vertical pathing route there? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just a quick reminder that the H3 1-50 system also had associated military ranks. Personally, I found being called by a military style rank more satisfying and suits Halo's overall feel more.

6 minutes ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

F

I think I like immerion better than immersion at this point to be tbqhbbq. Less cursed

2 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Fair enough, I don't play H5 anymore so I'll take your word for it. 

At the same time, would you consider a ghost jump in 60FPS to be easier? Or, any disagreement that we could just place a ledge with a particular skill requirement to reach, at a particular spot if we wanted a vertical pathing route there? 

Depends on the context of the jump for sure. I am all for reducing the necessity of Clamber across the board (emphasis on Spring Jumps) but more extreme routes requiring abilities is a win for Halo 5 in my book.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Hooked 1

19 minutes ago, Infinity said:

Depends on the context of the jump for sure. I am all for reducing the necessity of Clamber across the board (emphasis on Spring Jumps) but more extreme routes requiring abilities is a win for Halo 5 in my book.

Does it make sense to consider 4 heights for jumps that maps would be designed around?

1: standard jump without crouching or clamber

2: crouch jump or clamber

3: clamber or spring (short hop + spring to be more efficient in some cases)

4: spring + clamber or spring + crouch (rare jumps that are not used by many to traverse a map)

With this, clamber is not the only option for a jump height. Clamber is an easy option for new players, but it might be the least efficient option for those that know the possibilities. This means that new players can still move around the map well, but better players can do the same things faster and while shooting or throwing grenades.

@Shekkles I deep down want to agree with your stance on clamber. To you if someone misses a jump they should fall.  But is it really a big deal? I mean you can still miss jumps and fail to clamber as this is the case in h5. 

27 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

@Shekkles I deep down want to agree with your stance on clamber. To you if someone misses a jump they should fall.  But is it really a big deal? I mean you can still miss jumps and fail to clamber as this is the case in h5. 

I said in my video that I accept that it's in the game and that I'd get over it. I meant that. 

24 minutes ago, Sosa Baby said:

343 has some massive problems internally judging by the reviews...... 

Yeah this stuff comes up a lot and honestly just look at what happened to the franchise. Its pretty clear that they haven't been doing well at all so its not surprising 

@MultiLockOn Do you think high execs require devs to put certain mechanics into their games? At this point I feel like 343 wants to remove sprint but can't. 

10 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

@MultiLockOn Do you think high execs require devs to put certain mechanics into their games? At this point I feel like 343 wants to remove sprint but can't. 

I know you didn't ask me but I read in an article recently that ecksbocks gets a weekly build from 343 sooo prolly :'(

59 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I said in my video that I accept that it's in the game and that I'd get over it. I meant that. 

Oh I recognize that but it’s just something I felt fair to point out. It’s not something I would consider a solid reason to not include it. My reason would be if jumps are so high that it’s basically required. Now some are perfectly ok but if the average one is then no.

im not surprised by what goes on at 343. Many companies do this where they only try to please corporate. 

I'd like to go back to basic military ranks myself. I'm so tired of the overdone brackets and their attempts to sort of stylize the whole thing that always comes off tacky. I don't need some neon blue icon that looks like plastic (looking at you too 343 medals). That 5 star general rank from H3 is all the cool graphic I need at the end of the day. It was cool because you knew exactly what it was, there weren't a million ranks, and it was visually distinct on top of not just generally looking super tacky and weird. Maybe really subjective but I'm pretty sure they can't identify something cool feeling and something tacky if you put them side by side or at least that's how it looks after playing all of their games. They just go too far trying to add colors or additional levels or they throw skulls or flames on stuff at random to the point that they're just random shapes. I will say the MCC global ranks that they added took a big step in the right direction away from their usual stuff 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

I'm not familiar with that workplace review site, can anyone just make an account and claim they worked there? If so, that's basically worthless.

1 minute ago, Exidrion said:

I'm not familiar with that workplace review site, can anyone just make an account and claim they worked there? If so, that's basically worthless.

They claim to verify as many reviews as they can, but also admit that fake ones slip through quite often as well. 

I know it’s been talked about a hundred time and I’m not here to beat it more into the ground...but I just keep watching people review the gameplay. They constantly talk about the graphics(obviously) but they are also talking about the overall presentation and how it didn’t feel like it had any wow factor. It was just a plain halo mission. 

anyways I know that’s been talked about. But I just wanted to say it makes me sad that we’re in a “situation” again. 

Miss all of you btw

• Like (+1) 2
  • Hooked 1

“Large scale incompetence.” 😂😂

Sums up 343i in a nutshell the question is when will Microsoft realize this and decide to clean house already.

• Like (+1) 2