CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

43 minutes ago, Silos said:

For what you described, if it was to be a spinoff, I'd probably have it featuring UNSC marines compared to spartans though. A small touch, but assuming we're toning down the "super hero" features and the person won't be able to jump six feet in the air, I think it would be more fitting for marines to be the playable characters.

I’ve thought about the relationship between two human “species” a bit.  I think what I settled on was that Spartans don’t sprint, moving at 120% speed all the time while ODSTs move at 100% speed but can temporarily boost it to 120% by sprinting.  This way, one shot kill gametypes like SWAT and Infection can use the ODST movement model while traditional gametypes use the Spartan movement model.  

What do you think of the Extermination power up?  

This power up gives you 3 flood spores that attack nearby players.  They can crawl through vents and pipes to flank enemies, also acting as a radar of sorts, letting you know an enemy is in the next room.  Enemies you kill have an extended respawn timer, first spectating as their corpse transforms into your more powerful AI sidekick.  

On Flood themed maps, flood doors open for you.  

• Fire (+1) 1

A 1-50 system necessitates grinding to get to a ranking that is representative of a player's skill. With a tiered system, you can much more quickly place the player into a group of players with similar skill.

1-50 also has disadvantages in a team game like Halo. Frequently you will get paired with players who for one reason or another execute poorly, the ensuing loss delays your rise in the rankings and necessitates further grinding.

• Like (+1) 2

There’s absolutely no reason a 1-50 ranking system couldn’t do placement matches to put you close to your real rank from the beginning. The second point you mentioned also isn’t exclusive to a 1-50 ranking system either soo. 

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

There’s absolutely no reason a 1-50 ranking system couldn’t do placement matches to put you close to your real rank from the beginning. The second point you mentioned also isn’t exclusive to a 1-50 ranking system either soo. 

Yeah but that has never happened. Right now I'm level 9 in H3 MCC I'll probably have to play hundreds of game before I get my real ranking, it's not a good system. A ranked sistem should put you in 30 games or less in your rank. 

In the old days in H3 the first levels were very fast you could level up several levels every game, right now it feels like a grind. 

19 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

What's the point of a 1-50 system if it were to operate the same way as a modern tier ranking system? The grind to 50 is pretty much its defining feature, taking that away gets rid of any distinction between the systems.

The second point was primarily made in reference to the first. The traditional 1-50 system lends itself to grinding. Which of course is exacerbated by the reality of playing a team game such as Halo, wherein the already long grind of a 1-50 system is made even longer by having lower skilled players placed on your team, who wouldn't be in the same game as you if a placement matching system existed.

Another point is that most people, even a sizable amount of talented players, are not going to be motivated enough to begin the process of grinding to a 50. Meaning that at the higher levels of a particular playlist, you'll have an inherently limited pool of players to match against if the playlist has meaningfully restrictive search parameters, as opposed to the hypothetical alternative of having a modern tier ranking system that quickly places talented players against one another.

7 minutes ago, TI Inspire said:

What's the point of a 1-50 system if it were to operate the same way as a modern tier ranking system? The grind to 50 is pretty much its defining feature, taking that away gets rid of any distinction between the systems.

It's purely for visual to associate itself with classic Halo. 

• Like (+1) 5

42 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I’ve thought about the relationship between two human “species” a bit.  I think what I settled on was that Spartans don’t sprint, moving at 120% speed all the time while ODSTs move at 100% speed but can temporarily boost it to 120% by sprinting.  This way, one shot kill gametypes like SWAT and Infection can use the ODST movement model while traditional gametypes use the Spartan movement model.  

What do you think of the Extermination power up?  

This power up gives you 3 flood spores that attack nearby players.  They can crawl through vents and pipes to flank enemies, also acting as a radar of sorts, letting you know an enemy is in the next room.  Enemies you kill have an extended respawn timer, first spectating as their corpse transforms into your more powerful AI sidekick.  

On Flood themed maps, flood doors open for you.  

I never really thought about different types of characters in a "normal" Halo game. What you said about spartans not sprinting but moving faster than marines is really interesting to me. Especially since it's an immediate visual indicator for the player saying what they can or can't do. So having marines for SWAT like you suggested could make sense for lore reasons to make them die to a single headshot, while also telling the player "hey, you can sprint in this gametype".

I can't remember if I ever told you this, you have the best posts on this forum I swear. The extermination powerup is the wildest thing I've ever heard, I love it. Off the top of my head, I don't think I would enjoy it in a competitive fashion but maybe I just need to think on it more. The idea of playing a casual game and as I turn a corner a small group of flood spores are storming me sounds like such a rad panic moment. I can imagine busting out an AR and spraying them down as I try to run away hoping the enemy player doesn't catch up to me and just pick me off. Or imagine if the extermination gametype came back, where the goal is to eliminate the entire enemy team before somebody respawns. You're last alive and are creeping around the map when a flood door opens and you see a flood infected spartan send a bunch of spores at you.

What are you imagining the AI sidekick looks like? Is it melee only, or could you give him your rocket launcher and have him go to town?

Also should it just be three? Maybe for normal matchmaking just three is fine. But what if there was some weird 4v1 mode or something, kind of like the game Evolve or I guess any type of asymmetric multiplayer game, but one person plays an infected spartan with like 100 sporelings at his disposal that the infected player can hit a button and send the army towards wherever they're aiming? I imagine it kind of like Paper Mario with the "puni army" you get at one point in the game (51 second mark if it doesn't embed correctly).

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Silos said:

I never really thought about different types of characters in a "normal" Halo game. What you said about spartans not sprinting but moving faster than marines is really interesting to me. Especially since it's an immediate visual indicator for the player saying what they can or can't do. So having marines for SWAT like you suggested could make sense for lore reasons to make them die to a single headshot, while also telling the player "hey, you can sprint in this gametype".

I can't remember if I ever told you this, you have the best posts on this forum I swear. The extermination powerup is the wildest thing I've ever heard, I love it. Off the top of my head, I don't think I would enjoy it in a competitive fashion but maybe I just need to think on it more. The idea of playing a casual game and as I turn a corner a small group of flood spores are storming me sounds like such a rad panic moment. I can imagine busting out an AR and spraying them down as I try to run away hoping the enemy player doesn't catch up to me and just pick me off. Or imagine if the extermination gametype came back, where the goal is to eliminate the entire enemy team before somebody respawns. You're last alive and are creeping around the map when a flood door opens and you see a flood infected spartan send a bunch of spores at you.

What are you imagining the AI sidekick looks like? Is it melee only, or could you give him your rocket launcher and have him go to town?

Also should it just be three? Maybe for normal matchmaking just three is fine. But what if there was some weird 4v1 mode or something, kind of like the game Evolve or I guess any type of asymmetric multiplayer game, but one person plays an infected spartan with like 100 sporelings at his disposal that the infected player can hit a button and send the army towards wherever they're aiming? I imagine it kind of like Paper Mario with the "puni army" you get at one point in the game (51 second mark if it doesn't embed correctly).

What a great game.

• Like (+1) 2

Ah a ranking system debate lol

Honestly the 1-50 ranking system for halo 2 was the best, it was difficult to rank up(unsure if that was solely bc of modders but w/e). Halo 3 had a good 1-50 ranking system too but in my opinion it was a lot easier to rank up, most good players floated between 45 and 50. I remember the amount of custom games someone legitimately played being more relevant than a level 50 lmao. In halo 5 the move to bronze/silver/gold/diamond/onyx/champion division ranks was only good in terms of visual rebrand because other games use rank divisions, I found my self so bored with the ranks so fast I de-leveled to bronze to do a bronze to onyx run which only took like a day...it was actually harder to get into bronze than onyx ngl lmao.

As far as other games go I really think Apex has the best current ranking system with its only flaw that I am aware of being that predator, master, and diamond players can match up with gold and platinum players...lol rank divisions should be split but having everyone start from the bottom instead of placement games is much better, especially for solo q players. An example of why placement ranks suck and are broken would be siege, I'll leave it at that lol. Having to bet elo for every match and increasing the bet amount based upon rank division is great in Apex, of course how you gain elo in game would have to be changed to fit halo but some sort of combination between halo 2's ranking system and Apex's ranking system would be really nice. As for visuals literally just have the 1-50 ranking visuals from h2 but also add the division visual too like level 50 would be champion or something idk

I always thought 1-50 is fine for MM, because MM is inherently random and it doesn't make sense to artificially make the first ten games count 100x towards you rank. The frustration of getting fucked over by a teammate during placement matches cannot be overstated.

However, I think something like H5/CoD/OW would work for a team ladder system. Aka bring back clan matches already. You create a team/clan, play your placement and then play for top spots within each divison until the end of the season. Could be super addictive and help people get into competitive Halo as a team instead of gambling by going in solo in the MLG playlist.

Having a 1-50 grind system (maybe make it less grindy than H2/MCC though, it's pretty ridiculous) and a division system at the same time would allow players to always have something to go for. Add the H3 XP system with military ranks on top and you have a game that doesn't get boring after a couple weeks like the last few Halo games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Hooked 3

3 minutes ago, Basu said:

I always thought 1-50 is fine for MM, because MM is inherently random and it doesn't make sense to artificially make the first ten games count 100x towards you rank. The frustration of getting fucked over by a teammate during placement matches cannot be overstated.

However, I think something like H5/CoD/OW would work for a team ladder system. Aka bring back clan matches already. You create a team/clan, play your placement and then play for top spots within each divison until the end of the season. Could be super addictive and help people get into competitive Halo as a team instead of gambling by going in solo in the MLG playlist.

Having a 1-50 grind system (maybe make it less grindy than H2/MCC though, it's pretty ridiculous) and a division sytem two ranking systems at the same time would allow players to always have something to go for. Add the H3 XP system with military ranks on top and you have a game that doesn't get boring after a couple weeks like the last few Halo games.

I M M E R I O N

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boyo said:

What are people’s thoughts on hover?  

You mean generally, or that H5 mechanic that has been exploited, incorporated in multiplayer and described as "working as intended"?

Infinite might have the most advanced mobility we have seen in a halo title since Halo 2. Pretty sure i saw a crispy strafe in there.

• Thonking (+0) 2

48 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Reminders about H5: 

- No matter what ridiculous button combo you do for something as mundane as total movement control while shooting, you do not have total control over your movement while shooting in Halo 5. That includes the sprint-slide/sprint-slide-thrust. 

- Sprint + thrusting into walls to get to the top of said wall isn't something particularly skillful, and it's something that can be easily replicated with a ledge in classic movement Halo. 

- Spring-jumps are also a thing in V7 Reach and H2A. The difference is that hitting them in those games is the difference between falling off and not falling off, where it means a half-second animation playing or not playing in Halo 5. Also they're not that hard to hit given the scoreboard trick. 

- There's nothing particularly skillful about using your momentum and clambering onto a platform directly opposed to said momentum. Even then, can be replicated in a classic movement Halo with - no points for guessing this right - a ledge. 

- There's nothing unconditionally skillful about propelling yourself across the map at light speed and causing spawn havoc. 

That video by ShyWay is pretty annoying. He's a good guy and his videos are awesome, but people need to stop thinking that "advanced" mobility is a welcome addition to Halo. It's clunky, disruptive, and rewarding to the opposite of what should be encouraged. 

It always annoyed me how even people who are pro-enhanced mobility don't notice how awful and nerfed it feels in Halo (considering the fact that well, it is). How do they not notice how poor the implementation is compared to Titanfall?

Even if I played with SA's on in customs I would always buff them, 100% of the time. This actually made the Spartan Abilities more enjoyable, in a chaotic way. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Infinite might have the most advanced mobility we have seen in a halo title since Halo 2. Pretty sure i saw a crispy strafe in there.

23118.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

How are yall seeing that sprint is exactly 110% BMS and that strafing is crisp from that demo? Some serious detective work.

• Upvote (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Basu said:

How are yall seeing that sprint is exactly 110% BMS and that strafing is crisp from that demo? Some serious detective work.

They are on that delusional phase, have you not learned anything from halo 4/5/mcc?

31 minutes ago, Basu said:

How are yall seeing that sprint is exactly 110% BMS and that strafing is crisp from that demo?

I combed through the footage more than thirty times, slowing down the times Chief sprinted, moved, jumped, and clambered. Very confident in what I saw.

• Fire (+1) 1

Bit late but for ranking system best thing I felt was the Halo 3 system from like mid to late 2008 onwards? Where it showed a playlist rank earned via XP and the ranked modes had their 1-50 system as well as the exp earned from the mode too. Was cool to have two different systems like that personally.

• Like (+1) 1

If 1-50 didn't have crippling deranker problems I'd like it more.

As it is, I prefer seasonal ranks that reset so you have to earn it each time. However, this system only works if you have a way to show off your highest achieved rank in addition to last seasons.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1