CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

8 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Fine I'll make a comprehensive video on all the design ramifications of sprint stop asking.

-needlessly stretches out the map

-takes away your ability to shoot

-isn't strategic or hard to use

-increases aim assist/bullet magnatism to compensate

-devalues map control

-is correlated with a decline in popularity for the franchise

Anything else I'm missing?

17 minutes ago, AlphaBenson said:

Its so strange how slow and rigid the grappling hook looks in the demo, given how much its shown off. Whats funny is how its super easy to imagine an alternate version of the game where grapple hook takes sprint's place entirely, has its own dedicated button, and lets the player shoot and toss equipment with their freehand as they swing around.

Obviously I'm just talking about Campaign, since I've always been a firm believer that mechanics don't need to be the exact same in a PvE experience compared to a PvP experience.

But in the demo, they apparently can only throw a grenade or melee an enemy they've grappled, but its so slow that it feels like you could accomplish the same exact thing in the same exact amount of time by just walking at the enemy to close the gap instead.

It can grab surfaces too. 

Funny thing is, I got told on reddit that it made sense as a tradeoff for speed and movement. As if cool downs, speed limits, surface contact limits, number of use limits or just making it a map item only dont exist. And if none of that works, it might be time to acknowledge that 343 added yet another unhalo mechanic.

These people have no imagination. 

15 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Yes thank you for asking.

I'd love if you made a comprehensive video on why 343's art team sucks ass compared to Bungie.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SpitFlame said:

-devalues map control

Those are the usual ones mentioned in most videos but to be honest, all that stuff is pretty surface level.  There are deeper issues with sprint that I've never seen addressed which is why I kinda have the urge to just make a video and lay out some design theory that's on my mind.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Hooked 2

18 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Fine I'll make a comprehensive video on all the design ramifications of sprint stop asking.

How will yours be different to others like Tommy Kost's? Honest question because I'd like to see you make a video in your style talking about the topic.

8 minutes ago, theslatcher said:

Sadly we left the showcase without a new Conker nor Banjo.

I was really hoping for a new Banjo, I love a good 3D platformer.

Not going to lie I really want to see more gameplay from Balan Wonderland. Seems weird and colorful and I'm all about it if the platforming is good.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HeX Reapers said:

How will yours be different to others like Tommy Kost's? Honest question because I'd like to see you make a video in your style talking about the topic.

The things people talk about with sprint usually deal with pretty surface level stuff, there are deeper ramifications on game it has that people don't touch on because, well, it takes a lot of digging to get there.  I want to divulge into that.  Do you have a link to his video btw?

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

The things people talk about with sprint usually deal with pretty surface level stuff, there are deeper ramifications on game it has that people don't touch on because, well, it takes a lot of digging to get there.  I want to divulge into that.  Do you have a link to his video btw?

EDIT: I just realized his is more about why it assisted in the downfall of Halo as a series rather than a deeper design conversation so I guess I answered my own question lol.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Those are the usual ones mentioned in most videos but to be honest, all that stuff is pretty surface level.  There are deeper issues with sprint that I've never seen addressed which is why I kinda have the urge to just make a video and lay out some design theory that's on my mind.

Like that the pacing of a match is completely randomized 

1 minute ago, Mr Grim said:

Like that the pacing of a match is completely randomized 

I don't actually think that's a real problem/issue to be honest..I don't even really think that means anything. It sounds more like something that we all say because we don't like sprint but, that's not the hill I would die on if it came to discussing the ramifications it has.

2 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

I don't actually think that's a real problem/issue to be honest..I don't even really think that means anything. It sounds more like something that we all say because we don't like sprint but, that's not the hill I would die on if it came to discussing the ramifications it has.

Well then what would you touch on?

Just now, Mr Grim said:

Well then what would you touch on?

I'll see if I can bust out a script after work today, gimme a week to try and throw together a video.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SpitFlame said:

-devalues map control

Well those are the easy to spot / obvious ones, just quickly wanted to say that "takes away ability to shoot" coupled with long TTK in Halo quickly turns into "run away if you are 1 shot down in a gunfight", it's honestly one of the main frustrations when playing if you already dislike the team-shot meta overwriting other tactics in Halos past CE.
As for the list:

- sprint only works forwards, directionality with bigger impact than you would think

- messes with enemy pathing predictability

- works against the respawn system in many ways

- makes melee more viable up close (it's an issue when combined with stupidly forgiving melee lunge)

- due to 2 movement speeds at hand messes with every area of effect (splash damage radius for example) in the sandbox which can realistically not be perfectly balanced for both speeds

- devalues positions which favor certain guns in fights, if people fight it applies, if you don't you can reposition faster than the player trying to actively play the game (shoot people)

But a lot of these points go much deeper than the bullet points we have on this list, as @MultiLockOn said many people only scratch the surface of those effects but in combination there is a lot of changes you need to make to your gameplay that emerge from problems on this list stacking.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

With this I have to ask because I see it a lot

Is there anyone with a competitive skill that came here or does everyone here not have irl friends to socialize around a Halo hobby with and came here instead to talk about social slayer endeavors and perspectives.

Less Halo fan boys and more players please.

Unless this is HWP2.0

I sware you guys act as if competitive Halo is some foreign thing here. If you dont like competitive Halo wtf are doing here honestly. 

Montages are skill based videos. These Halo Forums are based off of haveing montage tournaments with those kind of content and driven discussions. Competetive Halo is the backbone for montages. We should be doing all we can to make sure a competitive Halo is still the blueprint of Halo.

Lol. This forum is cray. HWP2.0

I don't think you actually disagreed with anything I said. I don't really know how to respond to this.

Are you suggesting that looking at a clock and memorizing weapon times is exciting? If your answer is yes, mind if I ask what your thoughts are on coaches at live events? Players no longer have to look at the clock if a coach is present, so that skill virtually disappears right?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Well those are the easy to spot / obvious ones, just quickly wanted to say that "takes away ability to shoot" coupled with long TTK in Halo quickly turns into "run away if you are 1 shot down in a gunfight", it's honestly one of the main frustrations when playing if you already dislike the team-shot meta overwriting other tactics in Halos past CE.
As for the list:

- sprint only works forwards, directionality with bigger impact than you would think

- messes with enemy pathing predictability

- works against the respawn system in many ways

- makes melee more viable up close (it's an issue when combined with stupidly forgiving melee lunge)

- due to 2 movement speeds at hand messes with every area of effect (splash damage radius for example) in the sandbox which can realistically not be perfectly balanced for both speeds

- devalues positions which favor certain guns in fights, if people fight it applies, if you don't you can reposition faster than the player trying to actively play the game (shoot people)

But a lot of these points go much deeper than the bullet points we have on this list, as @MultiLockOn said many people only scratch the surface of those effects but in combination there is a lot of changes you need to make to your gameplay that emerge from problems on this list stacking.

I actually forgot to list a few of these, so this was helpful thank you

Just now, TeeJaY said:

Take your time with the video, maybe it will open some people's eyes.

That's the goal.  I've seena  few sprint videos, a lot of people link Chris Ray Gun's new video.  And I'm really grateful someone as large as him touches on it and brings exposure to the problem I just want to make some comprehensive, and air tight as far as design ramifications go.  So there's never a question left unanswered as to what exactly is going on under the hood. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'm okay with clamber as long as it's at the end of a grapple to get you where you're going, unfortunately I'm not okay with the grappling hook so both are out of the question.

1 hour ago, Mow said:

Man, the wider community is in full on denial/damage control mode, insisting maniacally "It's just an old build, it's months old!" when there's absolutely no evidence to support that claim, their denial also seems to suggest that deep down they know it looks terrible and that they need to come up with some rationalisation for why it looks the way it does. It will be interesting to see how this pans out over the coming months with there being only around 4 months left before the game launches...

If there's one thing I've learnt about games over the years it's that the people who blindly defend unpolished games are the ones who end up doing the most harm to it in the long run by defending mediocrity and not forcing the dev to get their damn shit together, and that the idiots are always the loudest in the room

prime example - https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/hx1hlk/to_everyone_complaining_about_the_graphics/ 

Also this interview seems to imply that what we saw was the most polished version of the game they had and that the rest of the game looks even worse, but lol "iTs JuSt An oLd BUiLd! https://www.343industries.com/news/articles/employee-spotlight-ani-shastry

I mean, idk this is on the frontpage too 

and it references the post you posted. I know we like to shit on r/halo but a lot of people there are complaining too. Which does not bode well

• Like (+1) 1

MCC is in a much better state than modern Halo compared to five years ago. I implore everyone to put their free time into the games they grew up with, rather than hoping for a change of heart from 343. Even if Infinite offers something better down the road, it ultimately doesn't matter. This was the final strike of their baseball game, and they struck out so hard, that the feeling you get is just...sad, empty bitterness.

No amount of effort making a classic playlist, no amount of cleaning up the clout in Hardcore, no amount of decent Forge maps, no amount of free DLC, no amount of weapon skins, no amount of sponsorship, no amount of prize money, no amount of road map goals, no amount of sandbox tweaks, and no amount of "We Back" is going to resurrect the golden years.

There are a few resurrections I believe in, and one of them is most certainly not Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

unknown.pngShotgun and possibly the Carbine may be getting replaced. Big yikes. Really hope the Sidekick isn't a Magnum replacement either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

2 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

LMAOOOO 

There's fucking POP-IN for grass in which you are 2 feet away hahahahhahah

Next gen

• Simms (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1