CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Just now, Toastomgi said:

Catering to one and not all the community segregates and peels apart the community.

Get better or not at all

"Git gud kid or GTFO" is a great way to build a community and expand a player base, you're right.

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

I don't understand the hate for hitmarkers?  I get it for grenade or other AoE damage as that shit just turns into radar, but its just an indicator that your shot landed and has no other effect?  Seems like a weird hill to die on.

Power weapons callouts I like for casual play.  They teach people to pay attention and where items are.  But they shouldn't exist in ranked and the hud element showing where they are should ping then disappear, regardless of when the weapon was picked up.

I'm right with you. If the game was perfect in every way but tick marks came out of my reticule when I hit shots I would happily live with it and wouldn't complain. If the game was perfect but hit markers existed for grenades or other area of effect weapons, I would think it's a flaw.

I believe it was Teapot who asked me years ago what skills I thought were exciting in a Halo game when I suggested that indicators need to be turned off in competitive play, and if I was really excited about people memorizing when weapons came up and making sure they were occasionally glancing at the clock. I thought about it for a bit, and for me personally the answer was no I didn't find it that exciting. Since then I kind of think that they're fine being in every playlist, but I would maybe add UI options for changing how much they are mentioned. In Halo 1, we generally play with a countdown on every minute, I would be completely fine with that. But if somebody else wanted indicators on pointing them in the direction I think that's cool too, as long as the indicators are disabled the moment the weapon or powerup spawns regardless of its status.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint doesn't really look too fast on this one. Hard to tell how punishable it is until the multiplayer reveal tho

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

"Open world" implies three things:

1. Nonlinearity

2. Socializing to a deep degree with NPCs

3. Sidequests

When the living hell has Halo had any of these characteristics, and how in the world would that even begin to work?

Honestly this is the biggest worry I have. 

18 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

Honestly this is the biggest worry I have. 

I mean it can work, but that's not the point.

The point is, why the fuck would you bother about making halo about this in the first place? A linear campaign with a vast sandbox and an immersive story was all we ever asked for.

1 minute ago, Botheredhat360 said:

I mean it can work, but that's not the point.

The point is, why the fuck would you bother about making halo about this in the first place? A linear campaign with a vast sandbox and an immersive story was all we ever asked for.

Something something adapt something something

• Like (+1) 2

I can't believe 343 members like Ske7ch are embracing the fact that they're turning this once respectable franchise into a fucking meme. The gaming community is laughing AT you, not with you. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

2 minutes ago, theslatcher said:

Reminder: the game is out in under 5 months. Probably 4.

With no sign of public beta tests. A great time to be a fan of one of the biggest gaming IPs.

4 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

I dont get it. Are you expecting that all of this garbage wont be in multiplayer? Maybe we'll get lucky with a no sprint/equipment/abilities matchmaking playlist, but do you really think these game breaking gimmicks will be absent from esport settings?

343i has been on a winning streak of subverting my expectations in the wrong direction with everything that's been shown in the reveal so far, so I can't speak with any certainty. That being said, -

They did say that their multiplayer would have nothing be absolute and have forge be able to hold the game together for nearly a decade. 

Given the shitstorm that 343i are walking into if there are no playlists with zero movement fuckery, I think (or at least want to think) that they have something prepared. Namely, a permanent no-movement-abilities playlist. 

This is all wishful conjecture and nobody should believe it though. Giving 343i the benefit of the doubt only means that you're setting yourself up for legendary levels of disappointment and exasperation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, theslatcher said:

Meanwhile, 343:

9dnOTA.gif

They should have announced a new Conker game tbh

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Sandman said:

It's dead, Jim.

42 minutes ago, TheSimms said:

Its been a long time since i saw the 'Hot Topic' flair, oh boy :weback:

So what are your thoughts on this graphically ground-breaking title that has the same abilities people loved since 2012?
Definitely a fat and juicy :weback:right?

Shoutout to grapple once again taking away your ability to shoot.

• Like (+1) 2

Man, the wider community is in full on denial/damage control mode, insisting maniacally "It's just an old build, it's months old!" when there's absolutely no evidence to support that claim, their denial also seems to suggest that deep down they know it looks terrible and that they need to come up with some rationalisation for why it looks the way it does. It will be interesting to see how this pans out over the coming months with there being only around 4 months left before the game launches...

If there's one thing I've learnt about games over the years it's that the people who blindly defend unpolished games are the ones who end up doing the most harm to it in the long run by defending mediocrity and not forcing the dev to get their damn shit together, and that the idiots are always the loudest in the room

prime example - https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/hx1hlk/to_everyone_complaining_about_the_graphics/ 

Also this interview seems to imply that what we saw was the most polished version of the game they had and that the rest of the game looks even worse, but lol "iTs JuSt An oLd BUiLd! https://www.343industries.com/news/articles/employee-spotlight-ani-shastry

• Like (+1) 3

I'd be more concerned about not having an open Beta if 343 had a bad track record. Like, say, a history of launching broken games that didn't work. Fortunately, I can't think of any recent games that had those issues. 100% confidence here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 6
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mow said:

Man, the wider community is in full on denial/damage control mode, insisting maniacally "It's just an old build, it's months old!" when there's absolutely no evidence to support that claim, their denial also seems to suggest that deep down they know it looks terrible and that they need to come up with some rationalisation for why it looks the way it does. It will be interesting to see how this pans out over the coming months with there being only around 4 months left before the game launches...

If there's one thing I've learnt about games over the years it's that the people who blindly defend unpolished games are the ones who end up doing the most harm to it in the long run by defending mediocrity and not forcing the dev to get their damn shit together, and that the idiots are always the loudest in the room

prime example - https://old.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/hx1hlk/to_everyone_complaining_about_the_graphics/ 

Also this interview seems to imply that what we saw was the most polished version of the game they had and that the rest of the game looks even worse, but lol "iTs JuSt An oLd BUiLd! https://www.343industries.com/news/articles/employee-spotlight-ani-shastry

Yeah it's silly to postulate things now like this being a 4 month old build, people do it because they want to by hyped for a new game and can't accept that this was the best they could show. Let's be real on a first impression you always show the best you got (well on a stable enough build ofc won't be the version from the day before) because it can get new people into the franchise and long term players to preorder.
Also even if this was a 4 month old build and there are 5 or so months left, why does it look like this after 4 years of development?

• Upvote (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Shoutout to grapple once again taking away your ability to shoot.

Its so strange how slow and rigid the grappling hook looks in the demo, given how much its shown off. Whats funny is how its super easy to imagine an alternate version of the game where grapple hook takes sprint's place entirely, has its own dedicated button, and lets the player shoot and toss equipment with their freehand as they swing around.

Obviously I'm just talking about Campaign, since I've always been a firm believer that mechanics don't need to be the exact same in a PvE experience compared to a PvP experience.

But in the demo, they apparently can only throw a grenade or melee an enemy they've grappled, but its so slow that it feels like you could accomplish the same exact thing in the same exact amount of time by just walking at the enemy to close the gap instead.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MultiLockOn said:

Fine I'll make a comprehensive video on all the design ramifications of sprint stop asking.

Hey, can you make a comprehensive video on all the design ramifications of sprint?

• Simms (+1) 3
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Just now, DoxGhost said:

Hey, can you make a comprehensive video on all the design ramifications of sprint?

Yes thank you for asking.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Sadly we left the showcase without a new Conker nor Banjo.