CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Hitmarkers should be removed. No point in them. 

As well as Automated power weapon callouts.

Both should be removed. The dont have a beneficial purpose and decrease competitive skill. 

4 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

Hitmarkers should be removed. No point in them. 

As well as Automated power weapon callouts.

Both should be removed and after removed hopefully never seen of again.

I don't understand the hate for hitmarkers?  I get it for grenade or other AoE damage as that shit just turns into radar, but its just an indicator that your shot landed and has no other effect?  Seems like a weird hill to die on.

Power weapons callouts I like for casual play.  They teach people to pay attention and where items are.  But they shouldn't exist in ranked and the hud element showing where they are should ping then disappear, regardless of when the weapon was picked up.

• Upvote (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, JordanB said:

https://www.vg247.com/2020/07/24/halo-infinite-delay-halo-5/

"Halo Infinite would have launched sooner if not for the backlash enacted by fans who were unhappy with the direction of Halo 5."

“They were so focused on making sure it feels like Halo,...”

"It’s got grappling hooks and Energy Swords. What more could you want?"

Kinda sounds like victim blaming imo

• Like (+1) 4
  • Hooked 1

1 minute ago, JordanB said:

https://www.vg247.com/2020/07/24/halo-infinite-delay-halo-5/

"Halo Infinite would have launched sooner if not for the backlash enacted by fans who were unhappy with the direction of Halo 5."

“They were so focused on making sure it feels like Halo,...”

"It’s got grappling hooks and Energy Swords. What more could you want?"

Does this article read almost like giving feedback is negative? If it wasn't for that pesky feedback we would have a new Halo sooner.

If this is actually the reason the game was delayed then hats off to 343 for making that call.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Hooked 1

1 minute ago, Joseph said:

Does this article read almost like giving feedback is negative? If it wasn't for that pesky feedback we would have a new Halo sooner.

If this is actually the reason the game was delayed then hats off to 343 for making that call.

Stop telling us what games you want us to make! We make games for OUR entertainment!

• Hooked 2

15 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

I don't understand the hate for hitmarkers?  I get it for grenade or other AoE damage as that shit just turns into radar, but its just an indicator that your shot landed and has no other effect?  Seems like a weird hill to die on.

Power weapons callouts I like for casual play.  They teach people to pay attention and where items are.  But they shouldn't exist in ranked and the hud element showing where they are should ping then disappear, regardless of when the weapon was picked up.

Yeah, hitmarkers, as they were originally intended to at least, are there for when the host tells you that you hit the shot on the server. So if you think you're not landing shots you'll know if you do land a shot when you see the hitmarkers(now, there could be a visual feedback for this instead on the damaged party, but it'd create clutter as you already get client-side feedback in the form of flashing shields/blood). So gun hitmarkers are more good than bad.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

We're supposed to have shields glowing or popped as an indicator. 4 straight titles accomplished this just fine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

30 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Didn't they say that about Halo 5 too "The most open and expansive campaign EVER!" and what that really meant was occasionally you could use charge to bash open a cavernous vent that just took you in a semicircle to where you were going to end up anyway?

"Open world" implies three things:

1. Nonlinearity

2. Socializing to a deep degree with NPCs

3. Sidequests

When the living hell has Halo had any of these characteristics, and how in the world would that even begin to work?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

15 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

1. Nonlinearity

3. Sidequests

When the living hell has Halo had any of these characteristics, and how in the world would that even begin to work?

I would like to add onto this that i'm not familiar with open world games that also have excellent AI. The linearity of some games allows more processing power towards npc decisions, which was one of the biggest draws of CE. I have huge doubts if this is somehow open world of the occupants being much more than cannon fodder.

43 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

The way Halo does hitmarkers is obnoxious. Instead of just a little X that pops up in the middle of the screen, they need to be animated and fly out from the crosshair. Look at this from the gameplay demo, there's no reason for the hitmarkers to be this obtrusive.

AqvOgQY.png

I didn't even catch it at the frame where they're most noticeable.

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah I'm very confused about the open world. If we can't gain experience, collect currency, or fight boss enemies why the hell would I want to explore the nooks and crannies of the world?

4 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

We're supposed to have shields glowing or popped as an indicator. 4 straight titles accomplished this just fine. 

It still does, it just also has hitmarkers now.  Its one of those things "people expect" thats totally fine to adopt not like ADS, sprint, clamber and loadouts all which have deleterious effects on core Halo gameplay.  HItmarkers are just a visual indicator people are used to that makes no difference to the way the game plays. Aren't things that are welcoming to new players that don't actually change the gameplay things that we want?

2 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

1. Nonlinearity

3. Sidequests

It also implies to me like a 30 hour game if you only blast through the main stuff, double that (at least) if you hit all the side quests.  I would like to have a longer campaign than usual like 12-15 hours, but "open world" style seems excessive.  They maybe mean it in the "its really big!!" way and thats it? I almost hope so

3 minutes ago, Sitri said:

The way Halo does hitmarkers is obnoxious. Instead of just a little X that pops up in the middle of the screen, they need to be animated and fly out from the crosshair. Look at this from the gameplay demo, there's no reason for the hitmarkers to be this obtrusive.

AqvOgQY.png

I didn't even catch it at the frame where they're most noticeable.

They don't really bug me i guess.  But i wouldn't miss them either. Maybe there will be an option to turn them off or change the style.  Different strokes for different folks.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's be real here: the focus on building an open world campaign is because 343 knows the only group they can consistently swindle into buying their content is the lore nerds; if you're in love with the Halo story, you'll never stop buying their games no matter how bad the actual gameplay is. An open world concept means they can pump out new missions on a somewhat regular basis and charge people a fee to download the content.

They know they can't keep the multiplayer kids around long enough to buy loot crates because the core fanbase for Halo multiplayer desires an experience that's fundamentally incompatible with hawking those features. It's pretty difficult to turn a game premised on equal starts and a limited and refined sandbox into a loot crate cash grab; any content they try to pitch needs to be purely cosmetic. But they know if they pivot away from that model, people flee the game because it's not the experience they're looking for (see the shift from H4 to H5). They needed to find some way to keep raking in money without destroying the player base. Turning the campaign into a continuous, open world experience is the simplest way to do that.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

hitmarker snip

While even on our best days we like to gripe about parts of the original trilogy, something i always appreciated about bungie design philosophy in halo was 'less is more'. I'm not inherently against hitmarkers, but this series has always used glowing shields and ammo counters to display information to the player. Why not put some sort of signifying indicator on a weapon if your shot connected? What's with these giant obtrusive marks? They could be done so much more intuitively. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

That engine is also hella optimized for PC.  Can't know if Slipspace will be as well, but i doubt it.

Is it possible that this build is a couple months old and the textures are still beta and draw distance turned way down, pre-optimization?

I like the stop wall wayyyy better than the bubble shield.  The bubble shield was just a stalemate machine.  "hey you know this game that was flowing well a minute ago, lets just put a stop to that for a bit". Bubble was basically 1) wait for it to drop or 2) charge in blind with a sticky and hope for the best. The shield wall Is actually worth going out of your way for on the map.  It also looks like you can take it down with shots and nades, or toss grenades behind it.  I just wish it was a little smaller.

One other option xD

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Hooked 2

Im wondering how they are going to retcon Halo 5.

6 minutes ago, TBCT said:

Poor lad.

This is how iconic no sprint Halo is....

When the first words out of a content creators mouth is WALK YOU SON OF A BITCH and not "LOOK AT THESE GRAPHICS/ENVIRONEMNT", you know how damn iconic Classic Halo movement is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Hooked 3

I really hope 343 is able to see the reactions from fans as a wake up call to really push the graphics further as well as make gameplay improvements too(remove sprint and clamber), everyone was all happy and hyped about going back to the classic style not sprint and clamber. Hopefully fixing the graphics doesn't overshadow that. Tbh 343 needs to address this asap instead of staying silent, fans are going nuts and staying silent only does more damage. Transparency is important now.

"for this piece of the puzzle, my team and I focused on the visual fidelity and performance. The Xbox Series X, our new platform, along with our Slipspace Engine, gives us tremendous amount of graphical power. My team and I worked closely with the content creators to get the degree of detail and polish to the highest quality"

"it took a herculean effort to make sure this little corner of our Ringworld was polished and pretty enough for its premiere! The art, lighting, design, environment, graphics, production and engineering teams involved in carving out and curating this little slice, are nervous and excited to show people a glimpse of what we’re building."
https://www.343industries.com/news/articles/employee-spotlight-ani-shastry

• Upvote (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

Catering to one and not all the community segregates and also peels apart the direction of the games community purpose.

Get better or not at all

• Downvote (-1) 3