CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

6 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Still dont get the 'we need to see MP gameplay before judging it' sentiment. 

I feel like this exact same thing happened with H4 and H5.

Pros were saying 'it feels like halo' after playing H4 (lol). Personalities like Goldenboy were saying 'they have one year after the beta to improve the game' after playing H5 for the first time.

Guys, we know sprint is a base ability in the game. That alone should be enough of an indication on where MP gameplay is headed. We also have clamber, slide, and defensive equipment like Orissa's shield wall.

I dont get it. Are you expecting that all of this garbage wont be in multiplayer? Maybe we'll get lucky with a no sprint/equipment/abilities matchmaking playlist, but do you really think these game breaking gimmicks will be absent from esport settings?

Why do you think Infinite's MP gameplay will be any different from H4/H5 given the base abilities that we saw yesterday?

Because regardless how bad it is they love it deep down, they are gonna be all over it like a battered wife just like they were over h4, h5 and MCC.

Now how many features yall think they are NOT gonna ship with? Of the top of my head I'd guess Forge, Custom servers, Custom anything and ranked ofc

That can't happen. I'd rather the game be delayed for 2 years then that. There's just.... no way right?

Looks like all those rumors about development hell were absolutely right.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the game looks as wretched as anyone else does, but I do want to correct people who are saying that it's the Xbox One's fault, as I don't think this is accurate. I have never bought into this argument from PC players that consoles are "holding them back" visually. Infinite is a PC game and unless it has high system requirements, the game is being developed to be playable on the lowest common denominator hardware. Also, there are games on the PS4 and Xbox One that look a lot better than Infinite currently does.

The "holding back" argument can be a fair argument for gameplay, sometimes, like how Crysis 2 was very clearly dumbed down to appeal to the market trends of its contemporaries, but I don't think it's applicable in this case. The blame is solely on 343.

• Upvote (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, FeaR said:

Could you imagine LUL

....................................... I actually could. 

28 minutes ago, lofike said:

So after some thinking, I've been wondering. What are the solidified arguments against sprint? I've read things here and there and I realized my reasoning for sprint be bad for Halo is quite fractured.  Can someone enlighten me with solid arguments and examples as to why sprint is bad? 

I think the critique that sprint breaks map design is valid. 

The bigger issue for me is that Halo's guns aren't strong enough to balance sprint. Players can escape punishment too easily with Halo's TTKs, regardless if shields dont recharge when sprinting. 

Ultimately leads to players feeling powerless, which I'd say is a big reason why Halo's population cant touch games like CoD. 

I feel like SWAT is the only game mode where sprint isnt as big of a deal. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Aphex Twin said:

The bigger issue for me is that Halo's guns aren't strong enough to balance sprint. Players can escape punishment too easily with Halo's TTKs, regardless if shields don't recharge when sprinting. 

Ah right, so it's that possibility of being able to run away and recharge makes it a relatively easy get away button? Which then in turns draws out the game even more. 

I just thought of something funny and interesting. what if infinite had a mechanic where we could throw our empty weapons at the enemy?

Only does 1/4 shield damage...

Run out of BR ammo and just chuck it at the dudes head. maybe you die, but you still got some damage on him loool.

id actually love to see that in action, especially since Cursed Halo has it.

4 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

That engine is also hella optimized for PC.  Can't know if Slipspace will be as well, but i doubt it.

Is it possible that this build is a couple months old and the textures are still beta and draw distance turned way down, pre-optimization?

I like the stop wall wayyyy better than the bubble shield.  The bubble shield was just a stalemate machine.  "hey you know this game that was flowing well a minute ago, lets just put a stop to that for a bit". Bubble was basically 1) wait for it to drop or 2) charge in blind with a sticky and hope for the best. The shield wall Is actually worth going out of your way for on the map.  It also looks like you can take it down with shots and nades, or toss grenades behind it.  I just wish it was a little smaller.

Eh, optimization is the last thing you do, which means that the build should look amazing. That's why the prerelease videos for games usually end up looking so much better, it's EASY to drag and drop your highest quality textures and lighting in and just run it in your development PC. Making the game optimized and look worse actually takes a lot of work. 

The only exception to this is if the game just isn't ready and the materials aren't painted yet. Which is more likely the case. I'm willing to bet they didn't even start creating art for this game until very very recently. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Hooked 1

1 hour ago, lofike said:

So after some thinking, I've been wondering. What are the solidified arguments against sprint? I've read things here and there and I realized my reasoning for sprint be bad for Halo is quite fractured.  Can someone enlighten me with solid arguments and examples as to why sprint is bad? 

The most common argument I hear is that sprint causes maps to be designed bigger. Because you're not sprinting all the time, it makes you basically move slower around the map in general (since you're average speed will be slower). Then what would be the issue if you made the maps smaller (or the sizes designed for non sprint), but the sprint mechanics the same as H5, where you stop sprinting when you get shot.

I know there's also the golden triangle - nade, shoot, melee? I'm assuming breaking that destroys the flow of your actions? As I said, I'm not 100% sure why the golden triangle is so important, but i know it's a good design philosophy for Halo, just not sure why. 

If you dig through old through the old Halo 4 forums you'll find streams of explanations. Annoying that 8 years later, we're in the same position.

40 minutes ago, lofike said:

Ah right, so it's that possibility of being able to run away and recharge makes it a relatively easy get away button? Which then in turns draws out the game even more. 

On top of this it turns out that using abilities which have been nerfed into the ground isn’t fun, it’s just frustrating. The game forces you to use the mechanic just to get around the maps and then punishes you for using it because it breaks the game otherwise.

I used to think I hated sprint outright until I started playing rainbow 6 and I realized that I just hate long kill times + sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Here's what is going to happen

100k online first night

"OmG ThIS GAmE iS So GoOD eVErYBOdy"

1 week in 50k

1 month in 20k

2 months in 12k

6 months in 3k players online. Tournaments will have 5k viewers. Games dead. Halo's done for good

GG ya'll

spongebob.jpg

Thank god we do have MCC on PC. It's all we have at this point and we should really start hosting some LANS for our own sake. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Hooked 3

Can we talk about how people are actually expecting this game to be "open world" and how hilarious that idea is

• Upvote (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

I used to think I hated sprint outright until I started playing rainbow 6 and I realized that I just hate long kill times + sprint.

To add to this - shooters with unlimited respawns are where long kill times + sprint really damage the experience. 

TBH, BR gameplay would actually probably work best with modern halo's mechanics. 

• Like (+1) 1

You are smoking the finest illegal substances if you think I'm getting a new console, let alone even buying the game before seeing it in action for a month minimum. I really don't think they're going to garner of big as an audience of new players or even returning players as they think. I showed the trailer to three of my nephews and there was fkn zero interest.

• Like (+1) 3

Haven't been here in a while and was just checking to see if maybe I was the crazy one after seeing the Infinite demo. If I saw the environment minus the HUD and weapons, I honestly don't think I'd be able to tell you if it was from Halo 4,5 or Infinite. There was a massive leap forward from CE to 2 to 3. I wasn't really expecting much and had a bad feeling about Infinite but I deep down I wanted to be wrong. I don't understand how this is the best they could show after years of development. I don't even want to think about what the MP will be as they can't even put a date on when that will be shown. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the rumors are true that it won't be included at launch. I got CE as part of a launch bundle with when the Xbox first released. Every Halo since I had on launch night or day. My xbox one has been collecting dust for well over a year and I don't think this release is going to change that. I've been more invested in this series than I ever will in any other. But I've come to terms with the fact that we really did finish the fight in Halo 3. /endrant

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aphex Twin said:

I think the critique that sprint breaks map design is valid. 

The bigger issue for me is that Halo's guns aren't strong enough to balance sprint. Players can escape punishment too easily with Halo's TTKs, regardless if shields dont recharge when sprinting. 

Ultimately leads to players feeling powerless, which I'd say is a big reason why Halo's population cant touch games like CoD. 

I feel like SWAT is the only game mode where sprint isnt as big of a deal. 

Yeah, when you have a .3 second TTK its fine.  Make Halo's guns that strong and sorry, im just going to play CoD.

32 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Eh, optimization is the last thing you do, which means that the build should look amazing. That's why the prerelease videos for games usually end up looking so much better, it's EASY to drag and drop your highest quality textures and lighting in and just run it in your development PC. Making the game optimized and look worse actually takes a lot of work. 

The only exception to this is if the game just isn't ready and the materials aren't painted yet. Which is more likely the case. I'm willing to bet they didn't even start creating art for this game until very very recently. 

yeah thats super disappointing.  If they didn't even start creating the art until recently, odds don't look good to be able to optimize this shit for november.

10 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Can we talk about how people are actually expecting this game to be "open world" and how hilarious that idea is

Didn't they say that about Halo 5 too "The most open and expansive campaign EVER!" and what that really meant was occasionally you could use charge to bash open a cavernous vent that just took you in a semicircle to where you were going to end up anyway?