CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

4 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

That shield effect just needs to go. That isn't even about it looking bad or the graphics. They need to get that trash off the screen so it doesn't interfere with gameplay and clutter the view. Perfect example of art team overstepping and impacting actual gameplay in a negative way

This. The shield effect is definitely stupid.

But I'm just glad the game had good visual feedback outside of it. Take a shot every time your HUD goes blurry in the middle of a firefight while playing Halo 5 and you'll die of alcohol poisoning. This is where we're at guys. I'm happy that I can clearly see what's happening on the battlefield. This is the low bar that has been set.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not even mad, I'm honestly just sad. One of my favorite games ever growing up was Paper Mario, and after the seeing the franchise continuously get worse, then finally release The Origami King, I've finally gave up on it ever being anything close to the original or TTYD. It's better than the last two games but that's about it.

I have the exact same thoughts about Infinite. Halo will never return to anything like the og trilogy. Infinite could still very well be better than Halo 4 and Halo 5 but that's not good enough. I'll play Infinite, luckily for free via Game Pass, but I have a strong feeling this won't be something that I'll be playing for very long. I'm not mad the graphics/art are shit or we have a grappling hook or bubble shield or sprint, I'm just... sad

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

Is it possible that this build is a couple months old and the textures are still beta and draw distance turned way down, pre-optimization?

But why tf would they do that for the game's first big hype event

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Sprint did nothing. The player only used it once and for 0.0001 seconds and it added no movement bonus whatsoever. This is fine because sprintybois can use it but from what I've seen, I don't think it'd affect multiplayer whatsoever.

I’m hoping that Sprint is part of a “mobility package” that includes Slide and Clamber.  Sprint gets a button, slide is crouch while sprinting, and clamber is jump while jumping (in the presence of a nearby ledge).  This way there can be other less offensive abilities we can replace sprint, slide, and clamber with.  

9 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Brutes look dumb but aggressive at least.

That bull-rush down the ramp was a cool movement ability.  Perhaps higher ranking brutes will wear armor that accentuates these behaviors, like a horned helmet to ram enemies with or a forearm shield to cover their head as they shamble forward.  

Edit:  Oh and everyone talking about shooting through the shield, what it looked like to me was that individual tiles were destructible so the player wasn’t shooting through a one way shield, he was trying to shoot out two panels to make a little window for himself but ended up deciding to just circle around the shield wall entirely.  

I don't understand why are people grasping at straws to find an excuse as to why this looks shit. "This is a demo"

You make any excuse, this was the time they showed THE BEST of what they can show... And they show pop-ins, they show bad lighting, they show ridiculously bad textures, PS2 brutes.

It's fucking disgraceful that our community is so ready to defend anything that this company has to do. 

This was meant to be that epic reveal that blows us all away, not some megabloks reveal that we are just meant to believe it's an old build.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HaloFinite said:

This guy is apparently a mod at /r/halo and got to ask 343 some questions about Infinite

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

When you decide to include a grappling hook, you now have to decide how everything interacts with this grappling hook.  Does it simply pull you to its point of impact?  That would be the simplest, most consist behavior.  Whatever it touches, you are taking a ride towards.  

But, if you are going to include contextual prompts that allow smaller items like fusion coils to be picked up, this would suggest to the player that weight does matter and he can pull lighter objects toward him.  The size of the grunt, combined with the fact the he is airborne, suggests that this is a light object that can be pulled in.  This is a problem.  Can objectives be pulled too?  The rules become unclear.  

I’m guessing the grappling hook will also be able to pull off hatches, allowing the player to enter dungeons from the overworld.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

343 really doesn't seem to grasp the phrase 'less is more' when it comes to adding shit like obnoxious yellow hexagons to indicate you're healing (because we're dumb babies), or crap like obnoxious hitmarkers and a red death X to indicate you're hitting an enemy and they are dead.. I mean, it's not like they stagger back, yell, flop over dead, but sure, 343. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not really convinced this is just some months old demo. Mostly because this is 343 we're talking about and their decisions are always to be questioned by default.

However, it wouldn't be surprising if they scrambled to get a demo of Halo Infinite to show and had to use an old build to do it. Mostly because of that 3rd party event where Microsoft got criticism for promising gameplay and all we got was gameplay snippets during trailers. Showing a gameplay demo/presentation here was imperative. It IS possible this was put together late.

But regardless, this was supposed to be a replacement for their E3 event. A gameplay presentation of Halo Infinite should have been a no brainer from the beginning

24 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Its just logistics.  We're never going to see code in action that is less than a month old. plus recording and getting approval from the bean counters at M$, i really bet 2+ months.

Now lets say it is 2 months old, should this sequence, that they probably picked much earlier than that as the showcase, have looked better? Of course. its still a problem that it's so graphically deficient compared to its contemporaries.  A game that had been in production for over 4 years at that point should look better. Its certainly not an excuse, just (i think) closer to reality.

28 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

It's fucking disgraceful that our community is so ready to defend anything that this company has to do. 

I've seen orders of magnitude more attempts to offend 343 rather than defend them, in every place where comments are allowed and halo infinite is the topic. Not sure where you're getting this idea.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Regarding the Grappling Hook and its various abilities:

I thought it was important to cleanly and clearly divide what gets pulled by what so I split the abilities among different weapons.  

The Gravity Hammer pulls pick-ups to the player (weapons, power ups, objectives).  

The Power Glove picks up and launches moveable objects forward (crates, fusion coils).

The Spiker’s alt-fire grappling hook pulls the player to whatever it touches (walls, ceilings, vehicles, other players).  

Gravity Hammer - RT knocks objects players and vehicles back, LT sends out a Shockwave that reflects incoming grenades and slow moving projectiles, X pulls nearby pick-ups to the user 

Power Glove - RT pulls in a targeted aerial vehicle, LT picks up and drops moveable objects, while carrying an object X rotates it and RT launches it forward 

Spiker - RT fires spikes and X reloads the magazine, LT fires a short range grappling hook that quickly pulls the user to its point of impact 

19 minutes ago, RVG E Nomini said:

I've seen orders of magnitude more attempts to offend 343 rather than defend them, in every place where comments are allowed and halo infinite is the topic. Not sure where you're getting this idea.

I've seen the split about 60/40 in terms of defend/offend. It should be 0/100, though people have rock bottom expectations. 

The embarassment of a reveal. 

8 minutes of gameplay. 

No guarantee of a beta. 

Not looking good. 

52 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

And not saying a thing about it...All I see is: "What do you guys think? Is it not great, or what?"

Well, I guess that is 343 in a nutshell.

2 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

I've seen the split about 60/40 in terms of defend/offend. It should be 0/100, though people have rock bottom expectations. 

The embarassment of a reveal. 

8 minutes of gameplay. 

No guarantee of a beta. 

Not looking good. 

60% of people in here defending 343? Are you reading a different thread?

I posted a couple times trying to point out some positives because it was so overwhelmingly negative in here. People in here try to paint things so black and white after watching a campaign demo.

29 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Its just logistics.  We're never going to see code in action that is less than a month old. plus recording and getting approval from the bean counters at M$, i really bet 2+ months.

Now lets say it is 2 months old, should this sequence, that they probably picked much earlier than that as the showcase, have looked better? Of course. its still a problem that it's so graphically deficient compared to its contemporaries.  A game that had been in production for over 4 years at that point should look better. Its certainly not an excuse, just (i think) closer to reality.

The only way this makes any sense is if they totally scraped the game mid development and started over. I'm not being hyperbolic in saying that H4 looks better then this game, infinite can have the higher poly count but it looks like trash compared to current gen games. I'm not quite sure the people defending 343 understand the expectation the wider gaming industry had on them. 

This was Microsoft corporation big event to try to sell us on their new hardware/ecosystem that had an untold amount of investment and R&D. MS made an impressive machine in the Series X and will be selling it at a loss for the foreseeable future. They gave 343 the tools, spotlight, and capital to show the entire industry what they're capable of. 343 dropped the ball in front of the entire gaming industry. Almost every single gamer tuned into the Xbox game showcase and saw crap like this. 

Edpq-m-XsAUhQjy?format=jpg&name=large

If I was a major stockholder and saw that mess I'd be making some phone calls. It's not just about "ThE GrApHiCs" its about 343 being able to meet expectations. Make no mistake this is the best they got currently. If your "better looking" builds are so unstable 3 months before going gold, it's probably best to just delay the game and save Microsoft the embarrassment. I'd like to believe I'm wrong about all of this but we have to admit this whole development been sketchy from the very beginning. The fact that this is our first look after almost 5 years should give off some serious alarm bells.

• Like (+1) 8

Can we talk for a minute about how drastically the overall art style has changed from h4 -> h5 -> infinite. What happened to all the people who were so for “modernizing” the art? I thought the classic style master chief was so outdated? Weird because he’s the one thing I have not heard anyone criticize visuals wise.

How does a company go from h4 advanced warfare, to h5 power rangers edition, all the way back to h2. H5 must have performed much worse than any of us suspected. Halo infinite better have a zombies game mode because they sure are parading around master chiefs corpse at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, timeforkoalas said:

60% of people in here defending 343? Are you reading a different thread?

I posted a couple times trying to point out some positives because it was so overwhelmingly negative in here. People in here try to paint things so black and white after watching a campaign demo.

Not in here, in general. 

So after some thinking, I've been wondering. What are the solidified arguments against sprint? I've read things here and there and I realized my reasoning for sprint be bad for Halo is quite fractured.  Can someone enlighten me with solid arguments and examples as to why sprint is bad? 

The most common argument I hear is that sprint causes maps to be designed bigger. Because you're not sprinting all the time, it makes you basically move slower around the map in general (since you're average speed will be slower). Then what would be the issue if you made the maps smaller (or the sizes designed for non sprint), but the sprint mechanics the same as H5, where you stop sprinting when you get shot.

I know there's also the golden triangle - nade, shoot, melee? I'm assuming breaking that destroys the flow of your actions? As I said, I'm not 100% sure why the golden triangle is so important, but i know it's a good design philosophy for Halo, just not sure why. 

Still dont get the 'we need to see MP gameplay before judging it' sentiment. 

I feel like this exact same thing happened with H4 and H5.

Pros were saying 'it feels like halo' after playing H4 (lol). Personalities like Goldenboy were saying 'they have one year after the beta to improve the game' after playing H5 for the first time.

Guys, we know sprint is a base ability in the game. That alone should be enough of an indication on where MP gameplay is headed. We also have clamber, slide, and defensive equipment like Orissa's shield wall.

I dont get it. Are you expecting that all of this garbage wont be in multiplayer? Maybe we'll get lucky with a no sprint/equipment/abilities matchmaking playlist, but do you really think these game breaking gimmicks will be absent from esport settings?

Why do you think Infinite's MP gameplay will be any different from H4/H5 given the base abilities that we saw yesterday?

• Fire (+1) 6
  • Hooked 1

9 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

The only way this makes any sense is if they totally scraped the game mid development and started over. I'm not being hyperbolic in saying that H4 looks better then this game, infinite can have the higher poly count but it looks like trash compared to current gen games. I'm not quite sure the people defending 343 understand the expectation the wider gaming industry had on them. 

This was Microsoft corporation big event to try to sell us on their new hardware/ecosystem that had an untold amount of investment and R&D. MS made an impressive machine in the Series X and will be selling it at a loss for the foreseeable future. They gave 343 the tools, spotlight, and capital to show the entire industry what they're capable of. 343 dropped the ball in front of the entire gaming industry. Almost every single gamer tuned into the Xbox game showcase and saw crap like this. 

Edpq-m-XsAUhQjy?format=jpg&name=large

If I was a major stockholder and saw that mess I'd be making some phone calls. It's not just about "ThE GrApHiCs" its about 343 being able to meet expectations. Make no mistake this is the best they got currently. If your "better looking" builds are so unstable 3 months before going gold, it's probably best to just delay the game and save Microsoft the embarrassment. I'd like to believe I'm wrong about all of this but we have to admit this whole development been sketchy from the very beginning. The fact that this is our first look after almost 5 years should give off some serious alarm bells.

This is what im saying. What you're saying and what im saying both make sense.  It should look markedly better than it does regardless of anything, but it's also probably at least a 2 month old build. Its not a current build.  You can hold those 2 things in your hands at the same time and have both be correct.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aphex Twin said:

I dont get it. Are you expecting that all of this garbage wont be in multiplayer? Maybe we'll get lucky with a no sprint/equipment/abilities matchmaking playlist, but do you really think these game breaking gimmicks will be absent from esport settings?

Any "classic" playlist will be 16-24 months too late based on 343's track record. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1