CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Now Imagine if the graphics looked as close as this game. Actual good detail. Would have been dope. This is Killzone Shadowfall 2014 game. We deserve better :mj:

1467348408-1347695619.jpg

• Fire (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, L0l0 said:

Now Imagine if the graphics looked as close as this game. Actual good detail. Would have been dope. This is Killzone Shadowfall 2014 game. We deserve better :mj:

They can actually salvage the visuals in Infinite by putting some form of clouds in the sky and covering the hexagonal pillars everywhere in vegetation. Something.

The problem is that it just gets uglier and uglier in the vistas, which is like 80% of the scenery due to the sheer scale of the map.

2 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

Or it is new (unpolished) and they should have just used UE4.  Plus "new" don't mean shit.  I bet they're using the same lighting from H5 given how everything looks like vacuformed plastic.

The playspaces being as large as they are now with the day/night cycles confirms it's real time lighting.  You can't do baked lighting that has changing shadows, which makes it great for MP spaces that are small and controlled but bad for large campaign spaces.  Pretty clear this is the first time they're using real time dynamic lighting for campaign, and the trade offs of dynamic shadows are 1: the lighting quality sucks, and 2: the performance takes a big hit.  In exchange for moving shadows with the sun and whatnot.  Pretty sure no other Halo has ever done this because they've always used very controlled static lighting.  That would explain the shoddy lighting quality.

Or they could just use Unreal and get dynamic lighting that looks better than Halo's static baked lighting.

• Like (+1) 4

I wasn't expecting much going into the reveal, but my goodness it's looks really, really bad.

No way would I spend $600 on the new Xbox to play a game that looks like it was made in 2012.

Also, has anyone mentioned that the Warthog sounds like a 2001 Honda Civic that you would find in a High School parking lot?

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Or they could just use Unreal and get dynamic lighting that looks better than Halo's static baked lighting.

SLIPSPACE ENGINE
SLIPSPACE ENGINE
SLIPSPACE ENGINE
S L I P S P A C E  E N G I N E

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

No way would I spend $600 on the new Xbox to play a game that looks like it was made in 2012.

Thread.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

If they had opted for Unreal 4 instead of building a new engine from the ground up, they would have had a much better, nicer looking, and easier to work with engine and saved a lot of time, money, and resources. 

What a gigantic waste. 

• Like (+1) 1

I 100% refuse to believe this is a brand new engine and not just a blam iteration. Unless its proven beyond a shadow of doubt

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, darkstar said:

If they had opted for Unreal 4 instead of building a new engine from the ground up, they would have had a much better, nicer looking, and easier to work with engine and saved a lot of time, money, and resources. 

What a gigantic waste. 

The idea is they bite the bullet and build a good engine that all of Microsoft has access to, and never pay royalties to other engine owners like Epic.  EA does this with Frostbite, Ubisoft with Dunia.  Just turned out the 343 engine is balls.

• Upvote (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I find Destiny to be soul-crushingly boring but God DAMN Bungie know how to pretty up a play space.

I remember when Reach cane out I was absolutely blown away by what they achieved on the 360. If Reach released today in 4k it would be acceptable. Not top tier at all, but acceptable. And it's 10 years old.

Halo 1/2 were particularly groundbreaking with what they got away with visually.

Halo 3 had atrocius character models but boy did they nail the environment. The lighting still looks good today. Guardian still stands out.

Infinite looks like a Halo 5 forge map. 

Yup. You get it.  Good art doesn't really age.  I feel like I play Destiny almost exclusively because of how awesome it looks.  And yeah Guardian never fails to impress me every time it comes up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What if the developer "tools" they developed was literally just forge and the entire game is made in forge.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 4

1 hour ago, SpitFlame said:

It just dawned on me that Halo 4 is probably going to remain the best game 343 has ever made. (not counting H2A)

H5 is infinitely better than H4

• Hooked 1

33 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

What if the developer "tools" they developed was literally just forge and the entire game is made in forge.

I'm 100% in this boat right now. No other explanation works, because Halo 5 looked miles better.

H5-Guardians-Blue-Team-Command-Element.0

4 minutes ago, SReid said:

Interesting word choice

21 minutes ago, SReid said:

I used the grapple emoji because I think you're reaching just a bit. 

The root fundamentals of Halo being, my guns shoot straight and there's enough skill that better players win. Halo 5 does better. 

But in every other regard H4 has it beat. The campaign in comparison was a masterpiece. Launched with way more than 3 game modes. Forge. Spartan Ops (not that anyone cares). Theatre was a little less shitty? And while the game had a pretty significant lack of skill, I think the core mechanics still resembled Halo more. All the dumb shit like reqs and perks and classes are just, dumb shit sprinkles on top. Halo 5 at its core is just really not a Halo game. Doesn't feel anything like one.

As a package Halo 4 was probably a stronger product. As a game Halo 5 is still probably better designed even if it doesn't resemble Halo because there's still some skill to be had in playing it, even if that skill comes from using obnoxious abilities. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3

Mediocre (at best) H4 campaign > awful H5 campaign

Mediocre (at best) H5 arena multi > awful H4 multi

Good H5 forge >>> crap H4 forge

Decent H5 warzone >>> crap H4 Spartan ops

H5 wins despite not being a very good game itself. H4 was an atrocity.

Inb4 muh story

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Mediocre (at best) H4 campaign > awful H5 campaign

Mediocre (at best) H5 arena multi > awful H4 multi

Good H5 forge >>> crap H4 forge

Decent H5 warzone >>> crap H4 Spartan ops

H5 wins despite not being a very good game itself. H4 was an atrocity.

Inb4 muh story

Discounting the story even, have you played Halo 4 and 5 back to back? Halo 4 actually controls a lot better, it's not nearly as lethargic.

Hmm, so it turns out Infinite IS a Megabloks game afterall... 

:kappa:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Ok I've had a few hours to chill and gather my thoughts. 

Pros:

- Classic Battle Rifle is a big tick.
- Sprint did nothing. The player only used it once and for 0.0001 seconds and it added no movement bonus whatsoever. This is fine because sprintybois can use it but from what I've seen, I don't think it'd affect multiplayer whatsoever.
- Elites look like Elites
- Brutes look dumb but aggressive at least.
- Classic grunts are back, shame about the shit 343 ones being there as well.
- 3D map looks awesome, non-linear objective is good idea.
- Grapplehook looks cool as a pickup, I really hope it's not standard. Loved the ability to hook a fusion coil and chuck it. That's fun and actually feels pretty Halo to me. Grapplehooking vehicles to then board them sounds fun, if a little overpowered as balls.
- No thruster pack, groundpound or charge (so far...)
- Spike Grenades are back
- Some elements of Halo art is back instead of just power rangers.
- Chief looks excellent
- Music is copied from Halo rather than 343 Halo.
- Variety of enemies.

Cons:

- Embarrassing graphics for a next gen flagship title. Absolutely embarrassing.
- Hit indicators pissing all over my reticule
- Sprint is useless yet still made it in the game
- Clamber
- The effects are atrocious, the blood looks like paintball hits.
- Sound design is atrocious, everything is punchy with no other balance.
- Enemy AI was dumb af. I hope that's due to playing on easy.
- Wall you can sit behind and shoot out of but can't get hit. Fisher Price my first game design.
- TEXTURE POP
- LOD POP
- Cringe speech by the Brute, also the context of it made no sense. Also they spent 2 minutes zoomed in on a super low quality render of an ugly ass brute.
- Classic 343 dropping you into a story like we know what's happening. Probably going to release a comic book explaining it.
- New human weapon looks like an automatic DMR. 
- Was that smartscope or classic aim? Better be classic aim.
- That new stubby shotgun doesn't have the coloured ironsights.
- They've given up making the magnum Halo and just made a generic modern warfare magnum.
- Cadency bloom.
- I really can't stress how poor the graphics are for next gen flagship title.
- Marty O'Donnell, despite being available, wasn't contacted or consulted about using his music.

D5EVAHw.png

Doesn't look like ads to me just normal zoom so far.

Also I'm really hoping clamber and sprint don't make it into competitive multiplayer, I'm fine with a grapple hook as its just new h3 style equipment in multiplayer(can just turn it off in competitive settings) and new weapons/nades are cool, small crosshair is a huge plus for me bc I use m/kb but clamber and sprint are very concerning. Especially after the reaction 343 received for h5, if sprint is just a useless animation that doesn't really do anything fine I can live with that but clamber is gonna be a problem. Also the shield bokeh effect has to go, it's too distracting and doesn't fit the style.

• Upvote (+1) 3

H4’s shooting and aiming felt a lot better than H5. If you take out the kill streaks, perks, loadouts, and sprint, and play on some well made forge maps, H4 is pretty decent. Meanwhile with H5, even if you take out all the spartan abilities, the aiming still feels off.

• Like (+1) 1

Things like pop-in will be easy to fix on PC by just increasing draw distance. Same with textures to an extent. Just hope it's well optimized and not some half-assed port job or it's going to be a problem.

1 hour ago, PolyG said:

Discounting the story even, have you played Halo 4 and 5 back to back? Halo 4 actually controls a lot better, it's not nearly as lethargic.

Better controls don't count for much when the design of the gameplay environments they're meant to be utilized in is pure sewage.