CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

3 minutes ago, Silos said:

I'm with you, I don't necessarily hate it but there was nothing that excited me. If I had to guess, I don't think it was a strong demo. I saw small skirmishes, not a set piece. How am I going to navigate this supposedly massive world? There was lots of explosions, which visually looks cool so I guess there's that. But nothing I saw made me feel like "Wow, I can't wait to do this myself".

Far Cry 4's gameplay reveal showed a small fight with the player interacting with the environment to take down some enemies, some vehicle combat, then the person drives off a cliff and uses a wingsuit to fly through the mountains. When they land, they invite another player to their game to do co-op. They go and take over an enemy outpost together by causing an elephant to stampede through the outpost. One player flies around raining fire down from above, the other player is navigating the tops of the buildings. I know what navigating the world will be like, I know what type of stuff I can do with friends, to me that demo was exciting.

In this demo, they start by revealing the open world. They then jump in a random warthog that's just sitting there so I'm not sure if finding random vehicles is the only way to move quickly or if I can call in whatever vehicle I want, or if there's some new movement tech for traversing the landscape (yes there's a grappling hook, but come on from what we saw you're not flying across a giant canyon with the grappling hook). They then proceed to enter fights with a few small groups of enemies. They go up an elevator, which is the only way we see that you can effectively move vertically, get in a couple slightly larger fights but this time using weapons that make a lot of explosions that admittedly look pretty cool. They go up a second elevator to reveal the villain and then the demo ends.

I'm sure 343 has answers for how to navigate the world, I'm sure they have set pieces in their game. Like, there's no way a giant company releases an open world game now without these things. But I didn't see it so I'm left just feeling lukewarm. This felt like a gameplay video that Gamespot or IGN uploads when they're uploading random gameplay, not the reveal to the biggest franchise you have.

The gameplay looks more like a halo game than h5 and that’s with sprint,slide and clamber. 
it seems to me clamber and sprint don’t look completely necessary but as far as multiplayer goes I’ll have to see and experience the maps themselves. Gameplay looks simple so that’s a good sign for halo infinite as h5 was so complicated.

id imagine it’ll be like other open world games with “fast travel” as you explore areas. 
It’s got some unique new weapons it showed off and I like that. The mangler looked neat. 
the hook Is just a linear thing and it’s called the grapple shot

lmao every halo game has a random ass warthog just conveniently there. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Silos said:

I'm sure they have set pieces in their game. Like, there's no way a giant company releases an open world game now without these things.

I wish I had your level of optimism when it comes something made by 343 lol

• Simms (+1) 1

I think deep down it’s better halos gone the open world route as that gives campaign a lot more longevity. Once you’ve completed the campaign in a linear game it’s not fun going back and playing different difficulty’s because usually the enemies are just bullet sponges. Although in h3&2s case on legendary there’s the bullshit jackel snipers . But still they also become bullet spongy. Tons of side quest help games like these out, and with the upgrade feature it leaves much to desire and grind. Idk about you but the grind is what make rpg games last long in my opinion 

11 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

Why the fuck is ANY game hitscan in 2020

Because it can be a design decision to go for, in real arena shooters with fast strafe some weapons like the lightning gun (which is effectively a laser that shoots every few milliseconds) wouldn't make much sense if it were a projectile gun.
There is nothing wrong with certain guns staying hitscan, for example a spartan laser should stay hitscan imo, it just makes sense design wise.

1 minute ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Because it can be a design decision to go for, in real arena shooters with fast strafe some weapons like the lightning gun (which is effectively a laser that shoots every few milliseconds) wouldn't make much sense if it were a projectile gun.
There is nothing wrong with certain guns staying hitscan, for example a spartan laser should stay hitscan imo, it just makes sense design wise.

Hitscan on the precision weapons is fine to me, and even the ARS. They just need to make it so it’s difficult to cross map which I’ll is the entire reason projectile shooting is liked in the first place. It doesn’t seem the bloom we saw was bloom like react because it didn’t impact the accuracy at all on the magnum, the commando AR, or the burst fire carbine all 3 weapons showed visual bloom. 

6 hours ago, Sitri said:

c8fJWfm.png

That blinding shield flare is going to piss me off to no end. Just glad it covers a huge portion of the screen as well.

• Like (+1) 9

2 hours ago, washedfrank said:

I literally have zero idea how this becomes your solidified opinion after eight minutes of video. 

Mans woulda said the same shit if it was 30 second video lol. 

Love how when the Mexican guy wakes up he’s pissed off at chief. Hey man it’s your fault for saving the most wanted human in the galaxy. 

I understand why you would make guns fire projectiles, in fact I am for it when it comes to many guns in Halo, just wanted to say that hitscan can be used for certain guns to give them a specific role, something that @Hootspa didn't seem to agree with from what his post sounded like.

I understand why you would make guns fire projectiles, in fact I am for it when it comes to many guns in Halo, just wanted to say that hitscan can be used for certain guns to give them a specific role, something that @Hootspa didn't seem to agree with from what his post sounded like.

Because hitscan makes things usually easier. It means unless you can make your opponents reticule not be on them, missing isn’t possible. But the thing is halos always been that way, it just needs to not be at the longer distances 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Idk about you but the grind is what make rpg games last long in my opinion 

Witcher 3: "Are you sure about that?"

• Fire (+1) 1

Hitscan takes less skill and makes it so that you can just fire all the way across the map. Projectiles promote map movement more and takes more skill.

• Fire (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

I said why would they make a GAME hitscan, not gun. I’m not against certain weapons having hitscan but am extremely against the idea of all human weapons being hitscan by default. 

Man. Generally I'm not going to get on people for their graphics right. I play OSRS and WoW most of the time. I play Halo 1, 2 and 3 a lot. I'm really not out here really digging in and going for the newest and most visually appealing games ever. I just want high frame rates when possible and responsive gameplay especially in my FPS titles. 

That being said this game visually has an overall art direction I like but graphically I'm really surprised because its just bad. At least if you were looking for something more towards the cutting edge. I'll play whatever for the gameplay in the end but a ray tracing post launch option is only cool for people with cards to support it or a new xbox. To be clear after watching that demo you do not need a card that supports ray tracing to run that. At least you better not because that game could've come straight out of 2012. Overall its surprising to me because I kind of would expect Halo to be what MS uses to really show what their hardware can do when its a launch title

Gonna be a controversial take, but aside of some kind of weak textures and quality in the graphics department [Which appears to be because the build is months old, the 1 minute gameplay trailer has noticeably better weapon textures for example], I liked the look of the gameplay. Grappling hook looks like it will be a blast in campaign and as a map pickup in MP, opens up a huge array of play options and custom games options.

Open world is an interesting direction, I'm curious as to how it will hold when it comes to the story. The Chief/Brohammer dynamic is great and I already love him. If anything happens to him I will kill everyone in the room and them myself. 

Will preserve my final judgement until we can get some hands on gameplay, but from what little strafe we did see, it did look really responsive, and I think the speed may be a FoV issue, similar to Halo 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Avenger said:

Hitscan takes less skill and makes it so that you can just fire all the way across the map. Projectiles promote map movement more and takes more skill.

That is unless what we’ve seen so far isn’t actually hitscan just fast projectiles where at longer ranges that’s when one needs to lead. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

That is unless what we’ve seen so far isn’t actually hitscan just fast projectiles where at longer ranges that’s when one needs to lead. 

This is a form of putting faith in 343, which statistically speaking is a bad decision.

19 minutes ago, Avenger said:

Well hitscan weapons don't have to have infinite range on them. Sure projectiles need more aiming skill but the map movement part depends more on how the rest of the game is set up. Some weapons just make more sense being hitscan from a design standpoint.

18 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

I said why would they make a GAME hitscan, not gun. I’m not against certain weapons having hitscan but am extremely against the idea of all human weapons being hitscan by default. 

The fact you said "Why the fuck is ANY game hitscan in 2020" could have been interpreted as you wanting games to stay away from hitscan entirely even if I figured you could be trying to say no game should be entirely hitscan. And I agree that all human weapons being hitscan is not something I would like to see for this game.

17 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

The gameplay looks more like a halo game than h5 and that’s with sprint,slide and clamber. 
it seems to me clamber and sprint don’t look completely necessary but as far as multiplayer goes I’ll have to see and experience the maps themselves. Gameplay looks simple so that’s a good sign for halo infinite as h5 was so complicated.

id imagine it’ll be like other open world games with “fast travel” as you explore areas. 
It’s got some unique new weapons it showed off and I like that. The mangler looked neat. 
the hook Is just a linear thing and it’s called the grapple shot

lmao every halo game has a random ass warthog just conveniently there. 

I just wished they showed exciting gameplay. Like I'm sure your average Far Cry 4 gameplay wandering the world is kind of dull, but you get cool moments in enemy camps or during missions to make it exciting. Mixes of highs and lows I think is fine. But when showing off the game, I want to see the highs and not the lows.

I think you'll probably be right about fast travel spots. I imagine they'll be pretty frequent, that or there will be a warthog stationed at each one. I feel some sort of flying vehicle would be too easy to just fly over a lot of the battles spread across the world but who knows maybe they'll have hornets or something at some of them.

17 minutes ago, HaloFinite said:

I wish I had your level of optimism when it comes something made by 343 lol

Haha, I mean that's definitely fair. I just refuse to believe they made a game with nothing but fights with only a couple enemies. Even that one minute long trailer they released was more exciting than their reveal demo. Ignore multiplayer functionality for a second even though I know we're a competitive forum. The way they use the grappling hook at the ten second mark to fly into the middle of a group of enemies and slice one with the sword during your descent. I think that looks cool, I wish that moment alongside a cool fight sequence after was what their reveal was.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

This is a form of putting faith in 343, which statistically speaking is a bad decision.

You’re right.

pros though centered cross hair and view model that doesn’t take up the screen like in previous games

anyone notice how fast grenades are thrown? I enjoy the QOL improvement