CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 minute ago, soFireFly said:

We haven't had a single Halo game that ran at a flawless 60fps at launch and when it finally happens people are upset that its not 120. 

I have been upset none of the other ones were 60fps too, studios with the biggest budgets in the industry cannot do it, meanwhile literal indie games on PC have it down, it's borderline ridiculous to make this sort of excuse.
Also the series X has a better graphics card than 90% of PC gamers right now and you think it's okay because "we never had 60fps"? Give me a break, I knew people who mostly play on console don't keep up with advancement in gaming performance as much, but if you are brainwashed to this point I just don't know anymore.

By your logic if this Halo doesn't have flawless 60fps again it would be okay if the next game just hits the sweet stable 60fps? "Because we never had that before hahaha"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, soFireFly said:

i mean true but that's not the world we live in. If Infinite gets a PC port though there's absolutely 0 reason for me to own an xbox. 

It’s launching on PC. 

Last little visuals rant.

Right now, I am playing Breath of the wild. I know those are totally different games, but still.

Botw came out 3 years ago and the hardware can't compare even to Xbox one. Yet, the game looks so much better than this. Textures and models can be limited, but that makes no difference. You can spend literally lifetime to explore and still find new breathtaking places and sceneries.

What I wanted to say is, 343 could have the biggest budget in the world and hardware from the future, but with their bland artstyle and design, they could never get close to this.

• Like (+1) 1

Just for additional perspective, the original xbox one (which apparently still supports Halo Sprintfinite) has a GPU roughly equivalent to the gtx 750 from nvidia, now the xbox series x roughly has 1080Ti or 2070 super levels of performance, this in numbers means (and this is average benchmarks over a a couple of games) that the performance should be around 650-700% higher.
Ofc games since 2013 have been getting increasingly complex so it's not just "yay we get 7 times the fps now" but stable 60fps should be a given on these next gen consoles, they come with fucking nvme speed SSDs which is complete overkill in 2020, I think it's not too much asking for 1080p 120fps, especially since they already said games will run 4K 60fps, the 120fps mode should be expected for EVERY first person shooter from now on, sure not on the old consoles if they are on both generations but for the new consoles it should be 100% given, if not a lower price than a gaming PC cannot save these machines as PC gamers have been enjoying high refresh gaming for literally over a decade by now.

Just watched the trailer. I don't know what they're thinking. It looks so bad man...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Just for additional perspective, the original xbox one (which apparently still supports Halo Sprintfinite) has a GPU roughly equivalent to the gtx 750 from nvidia, now the xbox series x roughly has 1080Ti or 2070 super levels of performance, this in numbers means (and this is average benchmarks over a a couple of games) that the performance should be around 650-700% higher.
Ofc games since 2013 have been getting increasingly complex so it's not just "yay we get 7 times the fps now" but stable 60fps should be a given on these next gen consoles, they come with fucking nvme speed SSDs which is complete overkill in 2020, I think it's not too much asking for 1080p 120fps, especially since they already said games will run 4K 60fps, the 120fps mode should be expected for EVERY first person shooter from now on, sure not on the old consoles if they are on both generations but for the new consoles it should be 100% given, if not a lower price than a gaming PC cannot save these machines as PC gamers have been enjoying high refresh gaming for literally over a decade by now.

The number one reason why we should be getting higher frame rates is because the CPU in the Series X isn't trash. The GPU was never the bottleneck in the Xbox One consoles. The CPU was.

I have a theory about Infinite's launch and the reveal today guys, and hear me out because it's the only optimistic spin I can put on things:

Halo Infinite is the video game equivalent of Justice League.

Look at the similarities:

1) It's been established that 343 are not great developers. Their track record speaks for itself.
2) There were reliable rumours that Halo Infinite development was rebooted around 2018. This would also make sense given that the creative developer at 343 was fired in 2019.
3) This gave 343, a company with an abysmal track record, two years to produce an open world AAA game. Early this year, people were talking about glassdoor reviews of 343i from ex-employees. They were pretty dire, and complained of a terrible and toxic environment, a company that felt more like a start-up and was simultaenously working out how to produce a game at the same time as they developed it, and having to scale back their ambition to meet deadlines.

4) So now it's two years later and it's abundantly clear to everyone on the inside that 343i are not going to produce something acceptable for the launch of XSX. At this point Microsoft can either permit them to delay the launch (which they've yet to do with a Halo product) or they can decide to just launch whatever they have and be done with it, considering that this is now 343's second attempt to make Halo Infinite and they have botched it again.

5) The plan then is to release Halo Infinite as is so as to not waste any more money on it (a la Justice League) and then quickly give the IP to someone else. Which would explain this news story that was bizarrely released today around the same time they were showing us the gameplay.

Boy do I hope I'm right about this.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethereal Nights said:

The number one reason why we should be getting higher frame rates is because the CPU in the Series X isn't trash. The GPU was never the bottleneck in the Xbox One consoles. The CPU was.

You are partially right on this, but even with a better CPU a GPU that is around the level of a gtx 750 wouldn't give you even 60 fps in modern games.
For the overall system balance of the xbox one the CPU was a bottleneck for sure, but overall both CPU and GPU are massively outdated today, and the fact that stuff like Call of Duty: Ghosts was 720p on the original xbox one but 1080p on the original ps4 shows that the GPU also made a difference, because at similar framerates the resolution will mostly hammer the GPU more.

One of the potential saving graces for Halo Infinite's visuals is raytracing. To me, the gameplay trailer looks like when you watch a 4K bluray rip with HDR on an SDR monitor - grey and washed out. There's no shadows, bad lighting, all stuff that 343 presumably know how to do(?) They've already said that raytracing will be implemented after launch. And while the textures and stuff are not up to next gen standards, they could be vastly improved by improved lighting as any good reshade mod on PC can demonstrate.

But the much bigger issue than that (if true in the first place) is that we're 5 months from launch and they are having to turn off essential features of the game to show us a playable demo, and it still has major issues with texture pop-ins, low fidelity assets, Xbox 360 style bump maps... If this game isn't a disaster it'll be a literal miracle.

I feel like catering to the casual audience is once again a terrible/misguided choice. Casuals don't care if sprint/clamber/armor abilities/etc. are in the game. They'll play it regardless because it has Halo in the title. They'll beat the campaign, marvel at the graphics (well maybe not in this case) play the MP for 10-15 hours, then go play the next new shiny game. While the competitive community is shit out of luck, yet again. What have we done to them to get such repetitive scorn? Did we steak them too many times in their previous games? 

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

I have been upset none of the other ones were 60fps too, studios with the biggest budgets in the industry cannot do it, meanwhile literal indie games on PC have it down, it's borderline ridiculous to make this sort of excuse.
Also the series X has a better graphics card than 90% of PC gamers right now and you think it's okay because "we never had 60fps"? Give me a break, I knew people who mostly play on console don't keep up with advancement in gaming performance as much, but if you are brainwashed to this point I just don't know anymore.

By your logic if this Halo doesn't have flawless 60fps again it would be okay if the next game just hits the sweet stable 60fps? "Because we never had that before hahaha"

I'm just saying when 343 has constantly failed to meet the 60fps expectation title after title, getting your hopes up that they'll blow past it and deliver way beyond is setting yourself up for disappointment. 

MCC at 90-120fps with crossplay and (finally) a custom game browser on the SeX would be nice. I'd never touch Sprintfinite. 

7 minutes ago, soFireFly said:

I'm just saying when 343 has constantly failed to meet the 60fps expectation title after title, getting your hopes up that they'll blow past it and deliver way beyond is setting yourself up for disappointment. 

No I really get that but why should we accept that a triple A studio with insane budget is making a game that lacks this much behind? The next gen consoles are a massive jump when it comes to the hardware, as I said if people buy this sort of console that has similar hardware to PC's that cost over 1000 dollars currently, why would they expect anything less than 120fps in a shooter at 1080p if the hardware is literally capable of delivering that.
Unless 343 messes up optimization in almost unthinkable ways this just shouldn't be possible, especially if the game is also build to run 60fps on an xbox one the series X should have no issue running it at 240fps even just because 60fps on an xbox one are so hard to achieve, so 120fps (which is highest refresh supported) should really  be the case and higher graphics settings on the series X shouldn't even contest that.
Well raytracing is a big questionmark performance wise, but you will be able to toggle that since the current console gen wouldn't be able to run this game raytraced above 5fps.

Do you guys think that the AR we saw was the Reach AR? I know people have been memeing the fact that it looks just like the Reach AR, but maybe that's the point? I notice that the BR is the BR55 model and not the Halo 5 model (whatever that is). Could it be that the Ring they're on is full of older gear, and that's how Chief has that outdated AR?

"Omg so many ******* here . The reason why halo infinite graphics didn’t look next gen was bc the stream was in 1080p & if you watch the demo in 4K 60 on igns or Xbox’s YouTube it looks next gen . Smh"

This is a real comment btw.

1 minute ago, Landonio said:

"Omg so many ******* here . The reason why halo infinite graphics didn’t look next gen was bc the stream was in 1080p & if you watch the demo in 4K 60 on igns or Xbox’s YouTube it looks next gen . Smh"

This is real btw.

Right, many people don't even have the screens to check it out in 4K. People need to learn that graphics are not just resolution, or is a black screen in 4K more next gen than a black screen in 1080p now?

• Upvote (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, soFireFly said:

i mean true but that's not the world we live in. If Infinite gets a PC port though there's absolutely 0 reason for me to own an xbox. 

Modern PC gaming is like mobile gaming. It lacks drm-free physical media which means it's not a real gaming platform. :kappa:

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Right, many people don't even have the screens to check it out in 4K. People need to learn that graphics are not just resolution, or is a black screen in 4K more next gen than a black screen in 1080p now?

More pixels = a better black screen experience lol

• Simms (+1) 1

Well let’s just wait for the finished product to judge graphics. Gameplay doesn’t look awful to me, but I’m still not excited. Maybe they’ll have no sprint playlist and maybe the sandbox won’t suck where weapons are extremely accurate where it can’t work. Now from what I saw every gun in the trailer is hitscan. The bloom was like h4&5 style where it’s visual than accuracy penalty RNG bs so that’s a good sign. The pistol I’ll add is not the h5 magnum but more like the gun fighter pistil 

Even if the multiplayer has sprint, the sprint looked quite slow. The worst part about sprint in the past is that even if they wanted to, 343 could never really turn it off because the maps were still just completely stretched out and it's not viable to do only forge maps.

But with the sprint being so close to the normal speed, that hopefully means the effect on the maps has been minimal and the path to a no sprint multiplayer is much more conceivable.

And the only thing that matters with the graphics is that they looked relatively clean. Dirty COD style maps like Ghost Town do not belong in Halo. Less detail the better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Just now, CaptainCowboy said:

Even if the multiplayer has sprint, the sprint looked quite slow. The worst part about sprint in the past is that even if they wanted to, 343 could never really turn it off because the maps were still just completely stretched out and it's not viable to do only forge maps.

But with the sprint being so close to the normal speed, that hopefully means the effect on the maps has been minimal and the path to a no sprint multiplayer is much more conceivable.

And the only thing that matters with the graphics is that they looked relatively clean. Dirty COD style maps like Ghost Town do not belong in Halo. Less detail the better.

Agreed. Sprint became detrimental to halo once it started influencing the map design. I really hope its influence is less noticeable.

2 minutes ago, Avenger said:

Sprint & Hitscan in 2020 :wutface:

Why the fuck is ANY game hitscan in 2020

• Fire (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Avenger said:

Sprint & Hitscan in 2020 :wutface:

Well to be fair everything was in cqc distance

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

I’m an optimistic person and right now I’m in a confused state. I don’t hate what I’ve seen but I don’t like it completely either. 

I'm with you, I don't necessarily hate it but there was nothing that excited me. If I had to guess, I don't think it was a strong demo. I saw small skirmishes, not a set piece. How am I going to navigate this supposedly massive world? There was lots of explosions, which visually looks cool so I guess there's that. But nothing I saw made me feel like "Wow, I can't wait to do this myself".

Far Cry 4's gameplay reveal showed a small fight with the player interacting with the environment to take down some enemies, some vehicle combat, then the person drives off a cliff and uses a wingsuit to fly through the mountains. When they land, they invite another player to their game to do co-op. They go and take over an enemy outpost together by causing an elephant to stampede through the outpost. One player flies around raining fire down from above, the other player is navigating the tops of the buildings. I know what navigating the world will be like, I know what type of stuff I can do with friends, to me that demo was exciting.

In this demo, they start by revealing the open world. They then jump in a random warthog that's just sitting there so I'm not sure if finding random vehicles is the only way to move quickly or if I can call in whatever vehicle I want, or if there's some new movement tech for traversing the landscape (yes there's a grappling hook, but come on from what we saw you're not flying across a giant canyon with the grappling hook). They then proceed to enter fights with a few small groups of enemies. They go up an elevator, which is the only way we see that you can effectively move vertically, get in a couple slightly larger fights but this time using weapons that make a lot of explosions that admittedly look pretty cool. They go up a second elevator to reveal the villain and then the demo ends.

I'm sure 343 has answers for how to navigate the world, I'm sure they have set pieces in their game. Like, there's no way a giant company releases an open world game now without these things. But I didn't see it so I'm left just feeling lukewarm. This felt like a gameplay video that Gamespot or IGN uploads when they're uploading random gameplay, not the reveal to the biggest franchise you have.

• Upvote (+1) 2