CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

28 minutes ago, Basu said:

Sprint as an armor ability is just weird as fuck though. Any AA but jetpack has always bugged me, it just doesn't feel right. Also did we forget how broken h3's equipment was? Just because something spawns on the map doesn't mean it won't be broken.

Totally true but at least it does make it easy to say, "Yeah fuck that" and yank it.  Or even if sprint is an ability and only 1 person has it every 2 minutes or whatever, that doesn't totally ruin map design or casual gameplay.  And competitive can just ignore it. Another reason i'm fine with just about anything being a pickup is there are some creative community members out there.  A powerup that disables gravity for all but one person would be shit in standard mm, but i bet there could be some fun customs come out of that.  stuff like that. 

25 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

If you think "it's balanced because it spawns on the map" you might want to rethink just about everything you claim to know about game design.

20 minutes ago, II7 HUNTER II7 said:

I don't think that's what he is saying. I think he means that because it is a pickup item it isn't ingrained into the gameplay like sprint. Therefore it can be left out without affecting the game too much. Ever see flares on maps in H3? Pretty sure there was one on the first iteration of guardian.  

Correct.  I would love for the "custom" powerup from H3 to make a return but be able to change EVERYTHING.

12 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Yeah I am aware he was not necessarily trying to say that, just wanted to get the statement out in general.
(would have quoted if it were a direct response)

I got you :)

What i am really hoping is they don't pull a Bungie with equipment (which sounds like its coming back) and are content with just taking something out and calling it a day.  make it better.  Like a bubble shield for example, i think it would be a lot less annoying if it either 1) collapsed after taking a certain amount of damage or 2) if you could shoot out the hexagons that made it up individually or a cluster of them with a grenade. That could be interesting compared to Halo 3 where it basically just resulted in a short standoff every time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Never understood the Sprint as a pick-up thing. Do people forget Speed Boost already exists and is way better?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

Never understood the Sprint as a pick-up thing. Do people forget Speed Boost already exists and is way better?

I wouldn’t include Sprint as an armor ability or Speedboost as a power up.  Simply increasing a player’s base movement speed is the most boring way of getting them around the map faster, it requires the least thought, and leaves the least room for cool plays.  

When coupled with a decent base movement speed, pick ups that allow for short bursts of increased speed via thrust, a short duration jetpack, evade, wall-kick, high-jump, super-clamber, or ground-stomp, provide enough fast infantry movement.  A power up whose primary purpose is to increase the player’s base movement speed, is lame and the game containing it would be lame as well.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

the only abilities I can see myself accepting within my idea of 'halo' is a weak thrust and a jump-jet that is a double jump of sorts. both pickups, both drop on death, both with limited use before respawn. 

• Like (+1) 1

If HI doesnt have competitiveness as the priority and with it in mind building the game it will be the same shitstick of a game we had in H4 and H5.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I wouldn’t include Sprint as an armor ability or Speedboost as a power up.  Simply increasing a player’s base movement speed is the most boring way of getting them around the map faster, it requires the least thought, and leaves the least room for cool plays.  

When coupled with a decent base movement speed, pick ups that allow for short bursts of increased speed via thrust, a short duration jetpack, evade, wall-kick, high-jump, super-clamber, or ground-stomp, provide enough fast infantry movement.  A power up whose primary purpose is to increase the player’s base movement speed, is lame and the game containing it would be lame as well.  

You're overthinking it. It's just a contestable that let's you move faster than BMS allowing for better strafe, evasion, aggressiveness and shorter travel time around the map. It's completely harmless and can seamlessly interact with other means of transport like lifts, cannons, and teles. Ideally the base game movement speed isn't shit and all the SB does is make you faster. H5's increase in speed to every possible player option was dumb except for maybe reload speed.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Toastomgi said:

If HI doesnt have competitiveness as the priority and with it mind building the game it will be the same shitstick of a game we had in H4 and H5.

I think you're forgetting the games you rave about did the opposite of this and H5 did prioritize "competitiveness" which ultimately fucked both sides of the community over. It's the dev's job to make a fun game first and foremost and ours to narrow it down to the most competitive degree.

• Like (+1) 1

There shouldn’t be a “better strafe”.  There should only be the perfect strafe; the strafe that was designed to work with the sandbox and maps that accompany it.  

18 minutes ago, Boyo said:

There shouldn’t be a “better strafe”.  There should only be the perfect strafe; the strafe that was designed to work with the sandbox and maps that accompany it.  

You can still have that and a SB. SB is just harder to hit, nothing has to be compensated for.

EDIT: To clarify, the sandbox would understand that the SB is a straight upgrade to movement. Maps and other sandbox elements would still be designed around the base player. I don't even see the upgrade as annoying to fight against for a few reasons. Firstly, it'd be tuned to be strong but not stupid. Good players could still outplay dumb ones using the SB with superior tactics and or accuracy. This idea applies to properly balanced traditional power-ups too like OS, Camo, and even the v7 Jet Pack.

I don't understand how the conversation about the game being "slow" and sprint and everything else has survived this long. Like why would we waste limited controller space on a button that temporarily increases movement speed with its documented detrimental effects on gameplay when you can tackle the problem its attempting to address via map design more elegantly and cleanly without ever having the cascading negative effects across the entire game that sprint has introduced? Its not just about map sizes, player spacing, kill times, effective ranges, spawn issues, objective movement and shield recharge times. Its about all of that and more. Its not about competitive or casual. Its not subjective. Opinions are irrelevant. Game designers need to be honest and logical about its inclusion and the problem will correct itself as long as subjective feelings stay well away and we stick to the right side of what does work and what does not work at the end of the day in the context of a Halo title. Perhaps its an issue of understanding or the scope of their gameplay ability interfering with logical problem solving skills or some misguided attempt to pursue the masses which play other games but sprint has been defying reason in Halo for a long time now and its past time that this ends.

A different take on mobility could be fine. Seriously. Its just the same take that we already understand doesn't work should never be tried again.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, HeX Reapers said:

I think you're forgetting the games you rave about did the opposite of this and H5 did prioritize "competitiveness" which ultimately fucked both sides of the community over. It's the dev's job to make a fun game first and foremost and ours to narrow it down to the most competitive degree.

You mean they tryed at making a Halo game but couldn't figure it out.

And Uh The sandbox is a kid's playroom after 5 minutes of playtime.

• Thonking (+0) 1

2 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

You mean they tryed at making a Halo game but couldn't figure it out.

And Uh The sandbox is a kid's playroom after 5 minutes of playtime.

What the fuck are you talking about.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Toastomgi said:

"Sprint is in Infinite"

If sprint is in Infinite 343 NEEDS TO BE FIRED FOR NOT KNOWING WTF THEYRE DOING. THEIR LACK OF THOUGHT ON THE DIRECTION OF HALO. THEIR BLATANT NEGLECT FOR THE HALO FANBASE. AND IT BEING QUESTIONABLE IF THEY ARE PURSUING HALO WITH THE ABSOLUTE GREATER GOOD OF HALO IN MIND.

THEM FAVORING AND CATERING TO ADOLESCENT 5 YEAR OLDS HAS GOT TO STOP

RUNNING FLYING THRUSTING POUNDING NO

I DONT WANT TO EVEN BEGIN ON THIS LITTLE BITTY WANNA BE MASTERCHIEF, TOY LOOKIN ASS *****

LOOKS LIKE I COULD BREAK HIM LIKE A TOY WITH MY BARE HANDS INSTEAD OF HIM BEING A LIFESIZE SUPER FUCKING SOLDIER

These fools have made 3 mediocre Halo games in a row........... There's no 3rd time is the charm with them, they are gone. Halo is literally over lol. The game after Halo Infinite is going to be ass as well. I don't see any conceivable way that Infinite will be a good Halo game.

13 hours ago, Toastomgi said:

If HI doesnt have competitiveness as the priority and with it in mind building the game it will be the same shitstick of a game we had in H4 and H5.

Right, If you make the core game competitively viable and use that as the base, you can then layer on top of that for any other gameplay variations you want.

13 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

H5 didn't really though.  You can't hold onto things like radar, automatic weapons, and EZ-Mode weapons for as long as they did and say they prioritized "competitiveness". Those things aren't compatible.  It was more of an advertising thing than anything that kind of blew up in there face.  "Casual" players blamed the things they didn't like about the game on "competitive focus", competitive players/fans were turned off because they were refusing to change the things that would have actually made the game have more competitive merit.  The last season of HCS design should have been the first.

One of the complaints that was universal was how every single playlist felt sweaty.  Casual players blamed this on the "focus on competiveness" when the real reason imo was the mechanical complication of the game combined with relatively tight SBMM in literally every playlist. Neither of which have anything to do with focusing on competitive in the mechanical and map design of the game imo.

• Like (+1) 4

194j8sauqec51.png?width=688&auto=webp&s=95c0529a0a87898e441354151e39d9a98f192086

From the latest teaser..... God I hope that rumour is true and its a sandbox pickup in MP, at least then it might make for something fun in Warzone and clusterfuck gametypes. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

194j8sauqec51.png?width=688&auto=webp&s=95c0529a0a87898e441354151e39d9a98f192086

From the latest teaser..... God I hope that rumour is true and its a sandbox pickup in MP, at least then it might make for something fun in Warzone and clusterfuck gametypes. 

Grappling hooks can be sick as an innate ability if done correctly.

343 will not do it correctly. Instead of physics and allowing players to use the momentum for flying around, it'll just be a boring Metroid Prime contextual button press.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Sitri said:

Typical Halo maps shouldn’t be big enough for everyone to spawn with a grappling hook.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Typical Halo maps shouldn’t be big enough for everyone to spawn with a grappling hook.  

This is why I suspect it's just going to be a Metroid Prime style "aim at icon, press button, move in a straight line toward icon" setup.

2 minutes ago, Sitri said:

This is why I suspect it's just going to be a Metroid Prime style "aim at icon, press button, move in a straight line toward icon" setup.

Sounds about right.  Like a combination of sprint, clamber, and the Halo 4 didact fight.  

9 minutes ago, timeforkoalas said:

Now I'm just imagining a halo map with 8 pathfinders flying around. Tomorrow will be very interesting.

My guess is it’s just a short range, straight pull on impact.  

I will say, I think the design team at 343 is doing a great job with Infinite so far. That doesn't reflect on gameplay directly, so no guarantees that the game will be good, but I think they're nailing the aesthetic.

55 minutes ago, Sitri said:

343 will not do it correctly. Instead of physics and allowing players to use the momentum for flying around, it'll just be a boring Metroid Prime contextual button press.

Most things in Halo are physics based, one would think they'd understand how much more potential a physics based grappling hook has in a game like this.
For once, I'm hopeful.

1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

If the "leak" that first mentioned this turns out to be true I think many people here would be happy. I personally would happy if it were the case. 

Edit: I am trying to find there picture for the supposed leak that suddenly might have some validity now. I just saw it earlier the week as well. 

It claimed a grappling hook for Campaign and no Sprint for arena multiplayer. 

7 minutes ago, timeforkoalas said:

I will say, I think the design team at 343 is doing a great job with Infinite so far. That doesn't reflect on gameplay directly, so no guarantees that the game will be good, but I think they're nailing the aesthetic.

Going back to formula.