CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

22 hours ago, Hemlax said:

Yea hard failure can actually help in the long run. Kinda wake up call. 

Tried this with Halo 4 and it didn't work.  Supposedly Infinite is a half-billion dollar project.  If this fails miserably how long will they keep bailing out the sinking ship?

I'm not even cautiously optimistic about Infinite.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

If Forge is so crazy good how the rumors say, dev maps shouldn't be a problem. Adam is on board for some time so let's hope they come up with something.

I've not been up to date for the last couple years, whos Adam and is he pro-classic movement?

But let's be honest: 343 didn't give a fuck about us during H4, they didn't give a fuck about us during H5 so why should they care now? What would have to happen is a high amount of high community memembers, casual youtubers and well known competitive players to continuously and publicly stating their discontent over sprint. MS is banking on HI being the killer app it used to be during the H3 days. Creating a public backlash big enough to have an impact on the games public perception, hitting MS where it hurts, is the only way we can see some change.

But I don't see that happening anytime soon. The seccond MS shows the first gameplay the few critical voices will be burried by tons of people being hyped just because there is a new Halo after 5 years...

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, calberto said:

I've not been up to date for the last couple years, whos Adam and is he pro-classic movement?

But let's be honest: 343 didn't give a fuck about us during H4, they didn't give a fuck about us during H5 so why should they care now? What would have to happen is a high amount of high community memembers, casual youtubers and well known competitive players to continuously and publicly stating their discontent over sprint. MS is banking on HI being the killer app it used to be during the H3 days. Creating a public backlash big enough to have an impact on the games public perception, hitting MS where it hurts, is the only way we can see some change.

But I don't see that happening anytime soon. The seccond MS shows the first gameplay the few critical voices will be burried by tons of people being hyped just because there is a new Halo after 5 years...

MlgAdam, aka Clap, co founder of Mlg

Yeah Halo boom, H2/3 style won't happen again. I think we can all agree on that. Just hoping for the best possible outcome. 

At this point, I don't think it's about classic settings, but them being able to come out with good product with good ecosystem, be it content, community, multiplayer or eSports.

• Like (+1) 3

I refuse to believe sprint is in. Let me maintain the little bit of hype I have here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

No Sprint w/ Thrust, Clamber, and Stabilize would have a ton of sauce. Sprint is in though.

I'd be totally cool with a Grappling Hook as a power item on map with limited amount of uses, same as a Sword or any other power weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hemlax said:

If Forge is so crazy good how the rumors say, dev maps shouldn't be a problem. Adam is on board for some time so let's hope they come up with something.

In 2020 it's extremely unrealistic to take a shooter and remove ALL dev maps to replace them with forged ones to run major esports, forge would have to be dev mapping tools and it won't be. Mark my words now: If sprint is in the game and used for multiplayer/4v4 it will be forced into the tournament settings, and tbh at that stage it has to because otherwise all the maps would go to shit.

But yeah they been making this game for 5 years, no way they are like "well yeah fuck sprint, we gonna only use forge maps for our main tournament series now" because some people here care for classic Halo. Esports for consoles are more of a marketing tool and money machine anyways, it's not so much about competition or finding the optimal settings to make for a big skillgap.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, Infinity said:

Sprint is in though.

Cool, so I'll have a reason to drink whiskey at 9 AM.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

Ya'll can we not have 500 posts about "sprint bad!" come Thursday? Had 5 years to come to terms with it.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

Ya'll can we not have 500 posts about "sprint bad!" come Thursday? Had 5 years to come to terms with it.

No. 

Actually, fuck no. Thursday for many of us could be the final acknowledgement that classic Halo is actually functionally dead, and that 343 have not had, and do not have any functional understanding of what classic Halo's appeal was. 

If 343 have learned nothing in over 8 years, with a 5 year gap between now and the last halo game, this place will be clearly unhappy.

• Like (+1) 8

6 minutes ago, DoxGhost said:

Cool, so I'll have a reason to drink whiskey at 9 AM.

You’re doing it wrong if you need a reason to drink at 9AM :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Sprint is in Infinite"

If sprint is in Infinite 343 NEEDS TO BE FIRED FOR NOT KNOWING WTF THEYRE DOING. THEIR LACK OF THOUGHT ON THE DIRECTION OF HALO. THEIR BLATANT NEGLECT FOR THE HALO FANBASE. AND IT BEING QUESTIONABLE IF THEY ARE PURSUING HALO WITH THE ABSOLUTE GREATER GOOD OF HALO IN MIND.

THEM FAVORING AND CATERING TO ADOLESCENT 5 YEAR OLDS HAS GOT TO STOP

RUNNING FLYING THRUSTING POUNDING NO

10 hours ago, DoxGhost said:

New updated Chief design apparently.

I DONT WANT TO EVEN BEGIN ON THIS LITTLE BITTY WANNA BE MASTERCHIEF, TOY LOOKIN ASS *****

LOOKS LIKE I COULD BREAK HIM LIKE A TOY WITH MY BARE HANDS INSTEAD OF HIM BEING A LIFESIZE SUPER FUCKING SOLDIER

• Like (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 2

I still hold on to my belief that 4v4 arena should be no sprint and BTB and warzone should be sprint as those communities are the only ones who want it and have better need for it. BTB maps need to be open no man type lands for vehicles to be worth a damn so sprint just helps infantry to an extent. I know some of you believe we can make both work but so far that’s never the case in BTB. The maps either good for infantry shit for vehicles or it’s the other way around. Valhalla +1 vehicles. Rats nest +1 infantry. 4v4 so far has never needed sprint. FYI if your only counter argument is teleporters and man cannons I will counter that with why can’t we have that and sprint as I bet a map like avalanche which I’ll add has both would work wonderful still with sprint. You’d struggle to make Warzone work without it. The only reason you say NO is because you hate sprint completely in halo and that’s obvious by your blatant disgust on it. I don’t like sprint but this be a realistic option and better for the side that desires a classic style halo as that side usually plays the 4v4 side of halo. Also what about sand trap? That map played really well in h5 and that forge remake was about near 1:1, and played very well. Sprint has never ruined a BTB remake and wasn’t made bigger than it’s counter part because it didn’t need to be, it’s a BTB map something deep down I prefer sprint to be on, than say 4v4 narrows. That pit remake in h4 was about 1:1 and it did not play well at all. But Valhalla in h4 played great. Sprint did not break it.

i would debate that most people in the 4v4 crowd hate sprint or just don’t care about its inclusion they deal with it. But the crowd that likes sprint in halo, plays BTB, infection or Warzone on the average. I’d like to be proven wrong but I bet I am right. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

8 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I still hold on to my belief that 4v4 arena should be no sprint and BTB and warzone should be sprint as those communities are the only ones who want it and have better need for it. 

Sprint not in 4v4/FFA will be too much of an adjustment to some. I'd rather there be 10 Mongooses on both sides readily available to drive so that you aren't left stranded as soon as the game starts without a vehicle with grav lifts and teleporters to get you around. Or if the grapling hook shit is real keep that in BTB as a way to scale the map faster. There's other ways that BTB can be "good" then having sprint.

We all know sprint is in either all in or all out, it's not going to be some in-between bs thing.

11 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Sprint not in 4v4/FFA will be too much of an adjustment to some. I'd rather there be 10 Mongooses on both sides readily available to drive so that you aren't left stranded as soon as the game starts without a vehicle with grav lifts and teleporters to get you around. Or if the grapling hook shit is real keep that in BTB as a way to scale the map faster. There's other ways that BTB can be "good" then having sprint.

We all know sprint is in either all in or all out, it's not going to be some in-between bs thing.

Well according to the leak the hook is equipment so it’s not a permanent ability. 
and 
Sprint not in 4v4/FFA will be too much of an adjustment to some” umm who? Morons? So what they can deal with it. Remembering that one mode has sprint and NS is hardly damaging. The pros outweigh the cons here. And it might be in between as 343 is keen on pleasing both sides through “playlist” as some implication from phill, and I can’t think of a better way to do it. A single classic playlist isn’t enough. Honestly this is what I’m talking about Complete denial. 

3 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Sprint not in 4v4/FFA will be too much of an adjustment to some” umm who? Morons? 

Uh, yeah. Most people are morons. For every person on this forum who's played in competitive Halo there's 100 others whom all they've played is BTB and casual game modes. I

magine playing through the Campaign and BTB with sprint, then trying to get into ranked Halo just to not have sprint. They'll probably be turned off within seconds and never come back. Good for you if you don't ever want that player back but I'd for sure much rather a larger playerbase into my ranked games so that ranks actually matter, unlike MCC where a level 18 can face a level 40 because that's the only other person searching. 

Only option at this point is a new studio.

The hype for this game is that its Halo. Nothing more. Nothing on the end of 343. Just the hope that there is a possibility to have as much fun as Halo has offered previously.

If anything 343 is a trigger for PTSD for some. Just the mention of sprint throws the whole forum into a frenzy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

5 hours ago, Obnokshus said:

A grapple in Halo would probably break ctf almost as hard as the grapple broke Tribes:Vengeance

They'll go the Reach route and disable armor abilities when interacting with objectives a la KotH, Ball, CTF, etc.

2 hours ago, Infinity said:

No Sprint w/ Thrust, Clamber, and Stabilize would have a ton of sauce. Sprint is in though.

I'd be totally cool with a Grappling Hook as a power item on map with limited amount of uses, same as a Sword or any other power weapon.

I'm cool with anything that is handled as a map pickup. That's what makes pick ups so awesome.  If they're great, use them, if they're not just don't.  Using power-up's to modify mechanics totally resolves the "Well players expect XYZ" problem.  The thing that players then "expect" is mechanic variety per-map. Short term stuff that's worth going after but doesn't alter the way you need to design or play the bare game.

Sprint as an armor ability is just weird as fuck though. Any AA but jetpack has always bugged me, it just doesn't feel right. Also did we forget how broken h3's equipment was? Just because something spawns on the map doesn't mean it won't be broken.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

If you think "it's balanced because it spawns on the map" you might want to rethink just about everything you claim to know about game design.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

If you think "it's balanced because it spawns on the map" you might want to rethink just about everything you claim to know about game design.

I don't think that's what he is saying. I think he means that because it is a pickup item it isn't ingrained into the gameplay like sprint. Therefore it can be left out without affecting the game too much. Ever see flares on maps in H3? Pretty sure there was one on the first iteration of guardian.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JordanB said:

Uh, yeah. Most people are morons. For every person on this forum who's played in competitive Halo there's 100 others whom all they've played is BTB and casual game modes. I

magine playing through the Campaign and BTB with sprint, then trying to get into ranked Halo just to not have sprint. They'll probably be turned off within seconds and never come back. Good for you if you don't ever want that player back but I'd for sure much rather a larger playerbase into my ranked games so that ranks actually matter, unlike MCC where a level 18 can face a level 40 because that's the only other person searching. 

If they get turned off by that then damn right good riddance. If the game establishes what has sprint and what doesn’t you’ll find such things won’t be a huge mind fuck to people.

@Basu let’s not pretend that we would later get better balanced versions in later games. The bubble shield could be destroyed in reach, in h4 you didn’t heal fast enough to warrant it to be a legitimate threat. Those are the equipment most hated because of the stale mating. The bullshit HP regen. 

7 minutes ago, II7 HUNTER II7 said:

I don't think that's what he is saying. I think he means that because it is a pickup item it isn't ingrained into the gameplay like sprint. Therefore it can be left out without affecting the game too much. Ever see flares on maps in H3? Pretty sure there was one on the first iteration of guardian.  

Yeah I am aware he was not necessarily trying to say that, just wanted to get the statement out in general.
(would have quoted if it were a direct response)

• Like (+1) 2

Some mechanics are a bigger problem when more thsn one person at a time uses them. Map spawning is very goodbat curtailing shit like that. It just is. Now, it doesn't save things that are intrinsically broken at face value, like the storm rifle, but something like jetpack isn't nearly as big an issue when only one guy is abusing it. It might not be 420mlgcompetitive but then again the entire game doesn't need to be.

Default H3's item spawning system was a shitty quarter-compromise between H2's inexplicably dumb item spawning system and CE's. It doesn't help that all equipment spawned on said timer. 

Even then, H3 equipment was horribly balanced.

Bubble Shield was an infuriating get out of jail free card that broke gunfights over power weapons, and completely broke Oddball and KOTH. Not to mention that it was glitchy in regards to how a player who deployed one would be protected before the damn thing even had a chance to touch the ground. 

Power Drains are just fucking AIDS. Zero skill or effort to use, ridiculously high area of effect, ridiculously long duration, earrape SFX, and with an incredibly disproportionate skill to importance ratio. Also broke KOTH. 

Regen is a more rage-inducing Bubble Shield. At the very least it doesn't let players eat sniper headshots or rockets like the Bubble Shield does. 

Grav Lift is cool and largely inoffensive, though it's uses are pretty niche and it's on less than a handful of maps. 

Even if we "rebalanced" most of these to be less  random and OP, the question of whether or not they fundamentally clash with good gameplay still remains. You could make sprinting speed in Halo 5 only 1% faster than BMS, but it wouldn't justify the existence of sprint since it would still clash with the principles behind Halo's gameplay. 

Given that "nothing is absolute" and Forge is apparently god-tier, atm I'm willing to give Infinite a chance provided no other major fuck-ups. 

Though I swear man, if we see nade hitmarkers or something equivalent on Thursday..

• Upvote (+1) 1