Jump to content
CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Okay so ripping the bandaid off right now. Klobrille is the first known, reliable insider to give us any insight into Halo Infinite. Two things. Sprint is in. No surprise. The Grapple hook leak was true as well, again, Frankie isn't exactly the most trustworthy when it comes to denying stuff and he never even flat out denied it.

 

But behold, a compilation of what we know about Halo Infinites MP, and I'm going to be honest, I don't hate the sound of it. 2iZ6qMy.png

The biggest concern I have with this is splitting the player base which I know it has been brought up multiple times on here, r/halo, and Waypoint. How would one balance the player population is a mystery to me. If Klob is correct, then 343 is seriously risking it by trying to please everyone, but I'm not surprised. I've been having this suspicion for a while now. 

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

But behold, a compilation of what we know about Halo Infinites MP, and I'm going to be honest, I don't hate the sound of it.

Sounds like H3 equipment but with sprint with a half assed "classic" playlists being rotated in and out, nothing that would get me excited tbh...

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post

So, is Klobrille saying Infinite Arena still has sprint in it? I looked back several pages and he said "I already gave an answer to that months and weeks ago. People just aren’t listening" when someone told to just say if sprint was in or not.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DoxGhost said:

The biggest concern I have with this is splitting the player base which I know it has been brought up multiple times on here, r/halo, and Waypoint. How would one balance the player population is a mystery to me. If Klob is correct, then 343 is seriously risking it by trying to please everyone, but I'm not surprised. I've been having this suspicion for a while now. 

If MP is free to play then population shouldn’t be an issue 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DoxGhost said:

So, is Klobrille saying Infinite Arena still has sprint in it? I looked back several pages and he said "I already gave an answer to that months and weeks ago. People just aren’t listening" when someone told to just say if sprint was in or not.

He says sprint is in.

4 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

If MP is free to play then population shouldn’t be an issue 

Well, I fully trust 343 that they can pull off another H4 population curve, even with a free to play game.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post

Halo 4 Legendary BRs with Armor Ability pickups alongside Power Ups and Power Weapons.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Clamber and Slide may be there too.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

Didn't they promise flights for every future Halo because of the total wreck MCC was? Did they just straight up lie about that or

I have no doubt we'll have some sort of beta, I just don't think it will be like Halo 5's beta where there were actual gameplay changes from beta to release. Infinite's beta will be more of a stress/bug finding test. 

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Basu said:

The worst part is that a lot of people will say "good enough", hell they might even get some H2/3 MLG kids on board if they make it BR start and have a Guardian remake or something. I just can't believe they still don't get that sprint is fundamentally incompatible with Halos core gameplay loop. 

I'm actully surprised by the amount of people asking for sprint to be removed, not just here but also on Waypoint and reddit but in the end, most will buy and play it anyways...

But I'd love to see a huge backlash after the reveal too bad it's not going to happen, too few gamers and youtubers have a backbone

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

It doesn't matter even if they perfectly tune the sandbox for competitive play (not like they are, anyway) if sprint is in. 

I'm tired of unjustifiably huge maps, escape cheese, and clunky map traversal. Every single aspect of the game inevitably gets dragged into the shitter with sprint. 

The equipment bit is just another vacuous sandbox addition that may or may not be terrible. It's like being told in 2006 that H3 would have equipment on map without any anticipation of how horribly executed they would be. 

I genuinely think that no one on Halo Infinite's Multiplayer Design team has ever played or understood how high-level Halo is played. 

Look at something like Doom: Eternal instead, for example. The majority of dev focus was towards the campaign, but the game still had a competitive multiplayer. 

Said competitive multiplayer (as simple and featureless as it was), was extremely different from traditional TDM and CTF. Yet, developers still understood how their game should be played, and tuned every aspect of it to play a certain way. 

Then you have Bungie and 343i dicking around with experimental equipment and armor abilities that maps aren't really designed for so that the mass crowd of braindead casual players can fuck around on the maps while competitive Halo culture struggles to recover from yet another gunshot to a kneecap. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah unfortunately "Halo Infinite Arena is all about going back to classic map control gameplay" is not possible with Sprint in the game. There would be nothing fundamentally different between H5 and Infinite if Sprint is still in—its the most consequential "Spartan Ability" of the bunch.

It's truly baffling to me that people see Sprint as the most innocuous trait from H5. Seriously, look at like any thread on Sprint from r/Halo, and it will be filled with people saying "Honestly, I'm fine with Sprint, just don't bring back Spartan Charge or Ground Pound!" I'd take Spartan Charge and Ground Pound in a heartbeat if it meant getting Sprint out of the game. Sprint "spills out" of its "niche" role and affects the entirety of multiplayer. Only Clamber has a similar "spill out" problem, but at least stretching maps vertically to compensate for Clamber is far less detrimental to gameplay than elongating maps and creating cavernous dead spaces.

  • Like (+1) 9

Share this post


Link to post

I call bullshit on the "trying to please everybody", I mean maybe that's how they want to market it but if sprint and clamber is in by default the maps are not going to work well without those abilities. Even if they have a server browser no sprint / no ability custom games are locked into their own space again with forge maps only while most sweaty players want to play ranked matchmaking and just go with whatever settings / maps that will have.

So yeah, if the leak is to be believed the game failed in my eyes. If there is a server browser that allows modded servers where clients download the mod on initial enter I might be messing around with the game trying to make a Halo game that checks all the boxes I have discussed here for a while and I am sure people would team up for that even if it would end up only being a few people compared to the rest.
But I highly doubt that will be the case since triple A games usually want to prevent modding to begin with.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

I'd take Spartan Charge and Ground Pound in a heartbeat if it meant getting Sprint out of the game. Sprint "spills out" of its "niche" role and affects the entirety of multiplayer. 

A Halo without sprint could have a few really cool movement enhancing pick ups that each add a unique color to gameplay.  Sprint just smears all the colors together into a dull brown.  Sprint leaves no room for nuanced movement abilities.   

 

Just now, Obnokshus said:

A grapple in Halo would probably break ctf almost as hard as the grapple broke Tribes:Vengeance

Shields don’t recharge while sprinting in order to keep sprint in the game.  I’m sure they found their own special way of balancing it.  

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Sprint was taken out of Reach and after that it should have never been re implemented. 

It decreases the games value and population.

Repeating ourselves with no change in this outcome is psychotic.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

If sprint is in the game, we need to aggressively pressure 343 to take it out of tournament settings (along with speeding up kill times because I'm sure the guns will be too weak again).  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

If sprint is in the game, we need to aggressively pressure 343 to take it out of tournament settings (along with speeding up kill times because I'm sure the guns will be too weak again).  

If sprint is in then maps are built around it. Jumps and movement are built around it. And IMO, if sprint is in then there's probably some other type of movement mechanic. Maybe not thruster but something like it that enhances the movement even more. It probably won't be as simple as just removing it and still having a viable game. 

Plus I'm sure if sprint is in, 343 is going to want to use it in tournaments. They aren't going to take 5 years to build a game just to remove it competitively because teambeyond.net says so. 

  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Not holding out hope on this, but perhaps sprint will be implemented as an equipment pickup.  That's about the only way I could see it working (and to be clear, I still don't like it one bit, and would definitely not want it used).

Share this post


Link to post

Halos sandbox isnt built for sprint. With sprint maps have to change in size. It breaks the design of the game. It breaks the game.

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, JordanB said:

If sprint is in then maps are built around it. Jumps and movement are built around it. And IMO, if sprint is in then there's probably some other type of movement mechanic. Maybe not thruster but something like it that enhances the movement even more. It probably won't be as simple as just removing it and still having a viable game. 

Plus I'm sure if sprint is in, 343 is going to want to use it in tournaments. They aren't going to take 5 years to build a game just to remove it competitively because teambeyond.net says so. 

If Forge is so crazy good how the rumors say, dev maps shouldn't be a problem. Adam is on board for some time so let's hope they come up with something.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.