CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I don't know how incredibly stupid 343i has to be to receive the colossal amount of negative feedback over advanced mobility that they have, and still try to force it into Halo. 

I hope to god they aren't that stupid. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Salt (-1) 1

2 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

4 days s and we will know if infinite has POTENTIAL. 
 Now let’s be real chances of no sprint no ability halo are 5–10%

sprint:50%

mythic style 25-30%

So based on the 10-20% left in your calculation, there’s still a decent chance Halo Infinite will be a hero shooter. Never too late to jump on a trend.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Boyo said:

Here’s how I would break it down.  

4v4 spawns players with the projectile, anti-vehicle Magnum.  There are no vehicles in Arena and most gun fights take place within medium range so neither of those properties really come into play.  

6v6 spawns players with the Battle Rifle so the maps’ limited vehicle selection doesn’t get immediately shredded.  It’s hitscan, making it more reliable on the longer sightline Squad maps but it kills slower, making teamshot less powerful.  Magnum pick ups can act as soft vehicle counters in Squad.  

9v9 Invasion spawns the Spartan Commander with an unlimited ammo, undroppable, Magnum sidearm that doesn’t count towards his two weapon limit.  Lower ranks spawn with a BR, encouraging players to seek out the on-map, anti-vehicle, power weapons.  

I wouldn’t include the DMR for a few reasons.  I want to keep scope magnifications down in order to keep map scale down.  Humans already have two precision weapons and human weapons are the least interesting, design wise.  Where human weapons scope and reload (boring), alien weapons can alt-fire and activate a unique ability with those buttons.  We need human weapons to form the core of the sandbox, utility, rocks, snipe, but where Halo is really going to differentiate itself from the crowd is in the design of its alien weapons.  

I wouldn't be opposed to this system. The roles of the weapons doesn't really matter to me, so if scrapping the DMR makes sense then hey that's cool. I just don't want all of the weapons to have a killtime within a tenth of a second of each other and cover a similar range again.

Having an exclusive third weapon for certain players in Invasion is really interesting. I never thought about something like that before. How would you assign the spartan commander?

At this point, i just hope it's a good game. Also, having a great long campaing would help sales and restore the brand a bit, which is also good for multiplayer.

10 hours ago, Silos said:

I wouldn't be opposed to this system. The roles of the weapons doesn't really matter to me, so if scrapping the DMR makes sense then hey that's cool. I just don't want all of the weapons to have a killtime within a tenth of a second of each other and cover a similar range again.

Magnum would kill in ~1.0 seconds while BR would kill in ~1.4 seconds.  

10 hours ago, Silos said:

Having an exclusive third weapon for certain players in Invasion is really interesting. I never thought about something like that before. How would you assign the spartan commander?

For two weeks, there would be a temporary Team Snipers playlist.  A player’s final rank in this playlist would become a heavily weighted value in the algorithm that chooses the Spartan Commander each match.  

Another heavily weighted value would be the player’s quit percentage in Invasion.  These values reflect two things: that I want a player who is competent with the sniper rifle and won’t quit out of the match.  

Each faction has their own commander with his own sidearm.

Elite Field Marshall - Energy Sword (in addition to lunging, the sword can temporarily reveal recent enemy footprints and activate a short duration Speedboost)

Brute Chieftain - SAW (remote control vehicle-hunter vehicle that destroys whatever it runs over) 

Promethean Alpha - Power Glove (aerial vehicle tractor beam with gravity gun alt fire) 

2020, where Nintendo has made me completely give up hope on Paper Mario returning to glory, and where 343 will likely have me give up on Halo too. Just a few more days now

If Infinite still tries to pull the shit that H5 did, I genuinely hope that the game fails.

Halo's long past the point of being dead, with H5 really being nothing more than a desecration of it's corpse. If Infinite continues that trend, then it is quite self-evident that 343i has not learned any lessons. They're still too arrogant and self-centered upon their ridiculous view of what Halo should be like. 

The time for feedback was gone 7 years ago. Nothing short of failure will teach them. 

inb4 some r/Halo kid says that the game having a population of <25K players 2 months after launch is a "success"

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JordanB said:

2020, where Nintendo has made me completely give up hope on Paper Mario returning to glory, and where 343 will likely have me give up on Halo too. Just a few more days now

I'm actually liking the new one a lot, but the battling is just so bad and unsatisfying. It feels out of place. Which sucks because the rest of the game is damn solid so far.

Player-vehicles:  Sphere and Sandman 

Traditional vehicles are too big to fit on arena maps but since Armor Abilities are not in Arena, the armor ability button can be used to turn the user into a “player-vehicle”, that is to say, the player is not in a vehicle, the player is the vehicle.  

The Sphere pick up is activated with the unused A button, transforming the user’s player model into a small ball, allowing him to roll around and jump but not attack.  Small holes in walls and floors allow spheres to pass through where bipeds cannot.  Vents act as purpose built shortcuts to other areas of the arena map.  

Larger maps do not suffer the lack of space or vehicles that arena maps do, so the constraints that burden Sphere do not burden Sandman.  Adding more players and vehicles to larger maps adds new layers to the power-balance.  Big maps need an appropriately big player-vehicle.  

The Sandman power up flattens the user’s player model, dissolving the Spartan into dust, falling onto the ground below.  The flat player model moves like an invisible vehicle, traveling across the ground like a shadow, the user in third person view behind it.  

The Sandman begins in travel mode, able to slide its flat body across the ground at a decent speed.  LB creates a pit of variable size and duration.  Tapping LB briefly creates a pit just wide enough to suck a Spartan down.  Holding then releasing LB creates a pit big enough to swallow a small vehicle.  

RB causes the top half of a humanoid made of sand to rise from the ground.  While the Sandman is exposed, RT spits a stream of damaging sand forward and LT claps two dune-like arms together, damaging anything caught between.  

L3 creates an isolated dust storm, reducing visibility.  

R3 sends a dust devil forward, tossing, flipping, and damaging stuff.  

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

If Infinite still tries to pull the shit that H5 did, I genuinely hope that the game fails.

Halo's long past the point of being dead, with H5 really being nothing more than a desecration of it's corpse. If Infinite continues that trend, then it is quite self-evident that 343i has not learned any lessons. They're still too arrogant and self-centered upon their ridiculous view of what Halo should be like. 

The time for feedback was gone 7 years ago. Nothing short of failure will teach them. 

inb4 some r/Halo kid says that the game having a population of <25K players 2 months after launch is a "success"

Yea hard failure can actually help in the long run. Kinda wake up call. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I just really want flights and feedback to start. I really want them to listen to people and make moves for the health of the game and community. I do not want Halo to turn into a tech demo for Xbox software in the future

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

I just really want flights and feedback to start. I really want them to listen to people and make moves for the health of the game and community. I do not want Halo to turn into a tech demo for Xbox software in the future

I think it's a little late for any flights that would have any say on gameplay decisions. Game is coming out in roughly 4 months assuming the new Xbox doesn't get delayed. Any large game mechanics being changed would require a ton of other changes after it that would probably be too much work for the remaining time frame before launch. 

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

Yeah, I think it's too late for that. Maybe they give us an unexpected beta but I don't expect it to be for game-changing purposes like the H5 beta was

59 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

I don't think there will be a flight or beta tbh.

Btw is the campaign stuff gonna be shown on ttv/Halo or what's the plan for that?

Any of the following, it's part of the broader event so it could be anytime within the one hour window starting at 9:00am PST.

Twitch.tv/Xbox

Youtube.com/Xbox

Facebook.com/Xbox

Twitter.com/Xbox

Didn't they promise flights for every future Halo because of the total wreck MCC was? Did they just straight up lie about that or

7 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

Didn't they promise flights for every future Halo because of the total wreck MCC was? Did they just straight up lie about that or

Probably in October to stress test the servers. 

• Like (+1) 2

Nah betas are huge advertising ventures now. Very good chance they'll have one.

I have a good feeling about Infinite. I'm super excited to see the game and I think it will end up being a really great game and start to the series x.

• Like (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2

This is something phill Spencer said 

What are your thoughts on Phil Spencer's recent statements?

"There's been a ton of learning in the studio around what does it mean to actually have a collection, the kind of totality of the Halo lore and stories and experience inside of one Halo world, one Halo UI, and platform," Spencer told Polygon. "As 343 has gone through this journey, they've seen some of the benefits of not requiring that our customers make a decision between 'Do I want to play this one or that one?' **I feel like in a way, the games almost compete with each other.** You see that with some of the annualized franchises that are out there--which clearly Halo's not annualized--but you see that where **you spend a lot of energy actually trying to move the customers who are already playing your game to a new version of your game. I think as gaming has evolved,** there's a view of 'Our customers are our customers and we should respect them where they are.' It's similar to our Xbox message, and I think you'll see that in terms of the way Infinite is talked about--**even the structure of what the game is itself.**"

It seems like Infinite may not be structured like anything we've previously played. I've always had a bit of an issue with Halo's amount of permanent game types, where the game competes with itself with 15 different modes and it becomes difficult to find a match. Phil now is talking about this issue on a much larger scale that MCC has created. Now with so many Halo games easily available, and everything being available through Game Pass, each Halo game is competing with each other all at once. Granted judging by matchmaking times, Halo 3 will absolutely dominate the rest until possibly Infinite.

There's also been rumors about Infinite having free multiplayer going off a leak. This, again, is a step in sort of solving this issue. It seems like Infinite **could be a free-to-play multiplayer game that will be supported for an extremely long time**.

It could be that Infinite's multiplayer will expand through multiple Halo games - basically you will pay for the campaigns but the multiplayer will be shared over games.

Halo "Infinite" 🤔....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 2

Okay so ripping the bandaid off right now. Klobrille is the first known, reliable insider to give us any insight into Halo Infinite. Two things. Sprint is in. No surprise. The Grapple hook leak was true as well, again, Frankie isn't exactly the most trustworthy when it comes to denying stuff and he never even flat out denied it.

But behold, a compilation of what we know about Halo Infinites MP, and I'm going to be honest, I don't hate the sound of it. 2iZ6qMy.png

• Like (+1) 3

I don't think I would ride with the statement "The game will likely have the biggest player base a Halo game ever had," leading into an entirely different console generation and being the first Halo they're (assuming here) releasing on PC at the same time. Its possible but I feel like they're really leaning on the idea that the PC crowd will show up while the new console generation won't have even sold enough units to make that statement true assuming 100% crossover between buying the new console and the game

1 minute ago, Snipe Three said:

I don't think I would ride with the statement "The game will likely have the biggest player base a Halo game ever had," leading into an entirely different console generation and being the first Halo they're (assuming here) releasing on PC at the same time. Its possible but I feel like they're really leaning on the idea that the PC crowd will show up while the new console generation won't have even sold enough units to make that statement true assuming 100% crossover between buying the new console and the game

There are rumours of F2P MP so if you factor in a release across two console gens, PC, and F2P MP it doesn't seem entirely possibly that Infinite could achieve that, but only if the actual gameplay hooks people.