CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Discussion seems a little one sided? Not saying you have to really give thoughts on every detail but would be good to know what you think about the stuff I have said, anyways onto the next question:

5 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What about a high jump pick up?  

I personally dislike the idea, even if it's a pick up for a jump to feel right it has to be a fast jump (would feel like moon gravity if not), fast and high jumps seem to directly counter some of the explosive power weapons of the sandbox in a similar way to the Reach jetpack on default gravity.
Adding to the plasma pistol splash jump from previous comment I like that it has a wind up so if you get surprised by somebody with a rocket launcher in hand around the corner it's not a single button to fly high enough to completely negate the rocket he just shot.

In my mind combat and gunplay having high consistency is very important because I want power weapons to translate into a serious advantage if used correctly and with smart positioning. If we get more and more into gimmicks to counter established core concepts we just dilute their importance. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d say middle ground halo would be no sprint but thrust and stabilize like h5 mythic. I’d say the community likes thruster more than sprint and it doesn’t have a negative affect on the map design as much . I’d say maps be a bit wider to compensate in a way.

its also the most realistic outcome I truly believe. Snip3down is sort of right. There needs to be something “movement” wise that can spice the game up. So far sprints been an utter failure I believe other things can help in that regard.

• Upvote (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Discussion seems a little one sided? Not saying you have to really give thoughts on every detail but would be good to know what you think about the stuff I have said, anyways onto the next question:

What.

About.  

Wall Kick?

"I feel like sprint is a basic mechanic in pretty much every game. I can't think of a game I've played recently that doesn't use sprint. I don't get what's so controversial about it but I definitely want it in Halo Infinite."

- A post I just read on Reddit. 

it had around 10 upvotes and it was a comment on a Poll on whether the game should have sprint. Sprint was winning 427-205 for sprint when I looked. 

I think the question is misguided because it misses the core of the issue, but the results are sad to see. I just hope Infinite has a campaign I can enjoy (which I do think will be the case). 

• WutFace (+0) 1

12 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

its also the most realistic outcome I truly believe. Snip3down is sort of right. There needs to be something “movement” wise that can spice the game up. So far sprints been an utter failure I believe other things can help in that regard.

No

If pick ups are how players customize their abilities, and controlling pick ups is a core tenet of competitive Halo gameplay, shouldn’t there be more items to actually fucking pick up?  Grabbing a new gun and occasional power up doesn’t scream “pick up centric” game to me.  Let’s change that.  

Everything your character does, comes from the controller.  How do we maximize what the controller can do?  By designing a few independent systems.  

Weapons are controlled by the triggers, X, and Y.  

Grenades by RB and Up on the D pad.  

Armor Abilties with A.  

Equipment with B.  

Jump also doubles as an Aerial Enhancement button while airborne.  

Power Ups don’t require any input from the user.  

Weapons can use RT, LT, and X.  One weapon could burst fire with RT, auto fire with LT, then press X to switch firemodes, now LT scopes and RT fires semi auto.  Weapons are one of six categories of items that players can pick up and one weapon can have up to four different fire modes.  

With one button to cycle through the available grenade types and another button to throw the selected type, players can throw up to four unique grenade types.  

Unlike Thrust, that does the same thing on the ground and in the air, other Armor Abilities are situational.  For example, Gravity Boots have three different states:  grounded, airborne, and hovering.  While grounded, B performs a high jump.  While airborne, B causes the user to hover.  While hovering, B performs a Ground Stomp.  Movement and attack in one button.  

A dedicated Equipment button allows a new class of offensive items to be introduced:  Power Drain, Missile Pod, Flamethrower.  

The Glider pick up is activated by pressing the Jump button while airborne, opening up new aerial infantry paths, giving more meaning to gravity lifts, allowing players to carry the high ground with them.  

As far as Power Ups are concerned, I would love to have more than OS and Camo but I feel like in order to make a really good one, it would need to be designed with its intended map in mind.  It couldn’t just be faster movement speed or higher damage output.  It would have to be something that intertwines the player with the map and generates unique gameplay.  

@Warlord Wossman

We should just make the push for Halo to be a TPS at this point. This seems like the forum that would do it.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I don't think Halo needs armor abilities to create interesting movement options or appeal to modern audiences. Movement "powerups" placed on the map could possibly be interesting, but they'd need to be carefully balanced to keep players from using them to easily escape encounters where they have a disadvantage.

I'd rather just bring back good grenade jumping. Have partner jumps. Have ghost ledge stuff. Have spring jumps and short hops (probably make this one easier to execute though). Have weapons that can offer a better jump or give momentum to the player at some cost (damage to the user, charge up time, or w/e). And have the game intentionally incorporate these elements into the gameplay and map design while communicating the existence of these techniques to all players. Mechanics like these can give players a variety of options without interfering with the core gunplay.

• Like (+1) 2

I just ranted at someone on r/halo who claimed that the Halo's popularity decline didn't begin with the addition of sprint.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1

12 hours ago, _Synapse said:

No

Lol you say “no” but the basic fact is you ain’t getting no sprint, no abilities, a utility that’s equal to ce. 

52 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Lol you say “no” but the basic fact is you ain’t getting no sprint, no abilities, a utility that’s equal to ce. 

Just because I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to receive a steaming load of shit delivered down my throat on the 25th, doesn't mean I have to like it. 

11 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Just because I've come to terms with the fact that I'm going to receive a steaming load of shit delivered down my throat on the 25th, doesn't mean I have to like it. 

Oh but you do Synapse my friend you do mubahahahahahhhajaha’!!!!!!!!!

PS. The reveal is the 23rd not the 25Th.

tenor.gif?itemid=5632048

18 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Oh but you do Synapse my friend you do mubahahahahahhhajaha’!!!!!!!!!

PS. The reveal is the 23rd not the 25Th.

tenor.gif?itemid=5632048

I think it's just the campaign reveal on the 23rd, the multiplayer reveal is on the 25th

(though i heard this through a rumor so idk)

I just saw this a while back, but Unyshek liked the tweet from Snip3down sayjng that Infinite would be closer to H5. I guess it's all but confirmed now. 

12 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

I think it's just the campaign reveal on the 23rd, the multiplayer reveal is on the 25th

(though i heard this through a rumor so idk)

I just saw this a while back, but Unyshek liked the tweet from Snip3down sayjng that Infinite would be closer to H5. I guess it's all but confirmed now. 

Well you didn’t the whole tweet then. He’s hoping for a hybrid and to me that hybrid would be something like h5 mythic. That mode got a lot of praise and love. If sprint was removed but the main game was h5 mythic style I do say, I wouldn’t be surprised.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Infinite doesn't have every staple Halo feature at launch after five years of development time, I wouldn't know what to say except what a disgrace. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

If Infinite doesn't have every staple Halo feature at launch after five years of development time, I wouldn't know what to say except what a disgrace. 

I wonder what motivated them to design a new engine for Infinite. 343 would of course be privy to any hardware roadmaps that Microsoft and AMD would have, so I wonder if there was some explicit technical reason that motivated them to go for a new engine over modifying the engine they already had further, even though they knew it'd delay the new game for an extended period of time.

My guess is that it'll probably have pretty much all of what we expect at launch.

45 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

If and when that happens I really hope that nobody pulls any punches. That would be very embarrassing and bad for the game. Hopefully they just did the right thing in terms of features and the interface to promote and maintain a healthy social environment for the game. Halo CE really changed how FPS on console worked but Halo 2, 3 and Reach showed the world what a functional UI, settings and various modes for fun can really do for you. They can't forget that second part

8 minutes ago, TI Inspire said:

My guess is that it'll probably have pretty much all of what we expect at launch.

I hope so. I don't mind their "sustain" model so long as they don't use that as an excuse to give us a bare bones launch. Community-driven features like Forge, File Share, and Theater are an absolute must on day one, and they need to work. 

34 minutes ago, TI Inspire said:

I wonder what motivated them to design a new engine for Infinite. 343 would of course be privy to any hardware roadmaps that Microsoft and AMD would have, so I wonder if there was some explicit technical reason that motivated them to go for a new engine over modifying the engine they already had further, even though they knew it'd delay the new game for an extended period of time.

I’ve hear several reasons from rumors, from that live stream Bonnie Ross and frank did.

1. Content limitations. They hit a content limit with it and realized they needed something new.

2. Easier to work with as blam is hard. 
3. Another is the same as 2, but because they promised their developer team a NEW engine for h5 but never got to it so they decided to do that for infinite. 

tbh this is one thing I’m excited for is halo on a new engine. It’s never been done before.

• Like (+1) 2

Its also important to be cautious about the new engine. It could just be a retooled version of what we already play on or less likely something completely new. In either case though it could end up feeling very different to play Halo on and, if we're not lucky, it could also feel worse rather than better. Its one of those things that we should just wait and see rather than making assumptions

I've basically given up all hope on Infinite being zero advanced mobility, so I've cut my "wish list" down to the very bare minimum:

• A 0.9-1.2 second TTK single shot utility weapon, that's difficult to master and with an average TTK somewhere in the 1.6-1.8 range. Preferably a 3SK or a 4SK. 

• Fast base movement and a good strafe.

• A decently balanced weapons sandbox where non-utility non-power weapons are only lethally damaging in certain niche situations, and are more important to the game for their niche purposes and utility. 

• Static power weapon and powerup timers. 

• Ranked 4v4, 2v2, and FFA playlists at launch. 

• Party matching, dedicated servers, forge, theater, and customs browser at launch. 

• No fucking radars or on-map weapon timers in the ranked settings. Show us where the weapons spawn and the times for them, but don't time the fucking weapons and make it zero effort. 

• Absolutely no H5 bullshit where all inputs are handled by the server. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

That’s not a wish list bro.  That’s the bare minimum necessary for a chance at a competitive Halo game.  

• Like (+1) 6