CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, Released said:

What? How is the way H3 does it (generous correction of off-target aim) "right"?

The redicle is red. He should be hitting his shots and is.

• Downvote (-1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

21 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

The redicle is red. He should be hitting his shots and is.

2 hours ago, Toastomgi said:

In H1, if that player was moving his bullets would actually be hitting. If the player is idle he needs to be aiming directly on the player for it to hit. H3 got it right

I can't decipher this. Someone help. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MaceX42 said:

The main reason I dislike the Halo 3 weapon balance is the same reason millions love it: the golden triangle is closer to being equilateral than ever before or after. 

For experienced shooter fans, it can be pretty boring to rely on grenades and especially melee to win every fight. But because the games weapons all are generally super weak, it’s the only option. However, for new players, being able to use melee and grenades as a crutch gave them time to develop their strafe and shot. This is why Halo 3 has such a positive legacy; it was the first game a lot of people became good at. 

Gotta love when a game with weapons spawning on maps gets positive legacy for the weapons on map being weak and useless.
Guess noobs don't like the concept on map control generally, they feel like it would be unfair if the team who actually collected the items off the map had an advantage because then they actually would have to do the same and move dynamically based on items instead of camping their fav corner on the pit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Gotta love when a game with weapons spawning on maps gets positive legacy for the weapons on map being weak and useless.
Guess noobs don't like the concept on map control generally, they feel like it would be unfair if the team who actually collected the items off the map had an advantage because then they actually would have to do the same and move dynamically based on items instead of camping their fav corner on the pit.

My two favorite maps are Damnation and Midship. So to me fighting for items is super fun but at the same time, fighting for pure map control is a lot of fun too. I don’t see any reason why a Halo game can’t offer both experiences depending on the map. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MaceX42 said:

My two favorite maps are Damnation and Midship. So to me fighting for items is super fun but at the same time, fighting for pure map control is a lot of fun too. I don’t see any reason why a Halo game can’t offer both experiences depending on the map. 

I mean I respect the opinion but to me without item control being part of the map control it's just not as interesting when it comes to decision making.
Generally prefer room based maps where teams who want map control have to constantly move and secure different areas, not really a thing after CE even if CE didn't perfect it either. Guess that's the perspective of an arena shooter enthusiast tho, 8 people on midship shooting each other with only their starting gun feels hollow to me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Released said:

If I'm at one mancannon on Narrows with a snipe and you're at the other cannon with just a BR, then you have no ability to engage. I am wielding a 2 ton flaming boulder while you have a pair of kindergarten safety scissors. Doesn't matter what our abilities are, you are completely ineffective in that scenario. This isn't true in H1. A good pistol can and will beat a poor sniper very often, even across long lines of sight. The game even functions just fine while spawning the snipe in every 30 seconds. Could you imagine 30sec sniper spawns in H3?

It's almost like feeling powerless in a shooter is a bad thing. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Lead newbs.

Looks similar to that H3 clip doesnt it.

Studio-Project.jpg

[Quote[/aphex twin] H3 is garbage [/QUOTE]

This video is garbage

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

3 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

I can't decipher this. Someone help. 

Are you on a Halo forum confused about lead?

4 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Certain viewpoints on this forum make sense now 

Halo 3 is the 3rd best of the first 4 Halo fps games

No one here is confused about lead. I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at with this clip. In the first video the player is standing still. The reticle is slightly off to the right and it misses, as it should. In the clip you posted the reticle is slightly off to the right and the player is at a distance moving to the right. The bullet hit, as it should, because of projectile bullets and physics and stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Halo 2 

Halo 1 

ProMod

Waypoint kids/h3 kids/bnet kids/reddit kids (really no difference between the four) make me laugh. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, LI Mr X IL said:

No one here is confused about lead. I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at with this clip. In the first video the player is standing still. The reticle is slightly off to the right and it misses, as it should. In the clip you posted the reticle is slightly off to the right and the player is at a distance moving to the right. The bullet hit, as it should, because of projectile bullets and physics and stuff.

The dude sucks at Halo and posted a flawed video he thought was right about bullet magenetism.

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

1 hour ago, OG Nick said:

Certain viewpoints on this forum make sense now 

Eh, Halo 3: ODST is better, despite not being a PvP game... unless Reach is the 4th Halo FPS you're referring to.

ZBNS Reach was much better than H3.

Default Reach may have been the worst competitive halo experience to exist. Maybe worse than H4? Tough to say. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Topics that gets slept on a lot in these discussions are matchmaking systems and player progression.

It's a bit of a bummer, because these are as important as actual multiplayer quality in maintaining player retention. 

Drop your ideal ranking system, playlist lineup, and features regarding player progression. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ranking system reverts to 1-50. In pregame and postgame lobbies, ranks are prominently displayed beside each player's icon. 

Playlist-specific rank is calculated based off a skill rating and EXP, both within said playlist. 

EXP is awarded based on only one factor: match outcome. A win gives 5 EXP, a loss gives -1 EXP, and a quit out of a fair game (IE team numbers are equal) results in -5 EXP. Winning matches in a row consecutively will eventually add a small bonus to the EXP gained. Winning 3 games in a row will reward 3 extra EXP points for every victory upto 6, winning 6 in a row will award 5 extra EXP points upto 10, winning 10 in a row will award 10 extra EXP points for every next victory, indefinitely. Losing games will cause a loss of EXP until a certain rank has been dropped to. The purpose of bonus EXP rewards is to widen the gap in time to grind between good and bad players, and to also incentivize winning. 

Skill rating is complex. It weights several things, such as presence on important areas of the map, favorable spawns given to teammates, power item pickups, KDA, objective time, accuracy and damage done to opposing players, average life, and kills against power weapon users. In certain ranked playlists like FFA, multikills can also be given importance.

Global rank display will use the highest rank achieved in a certain playlist. However, maximum rank is unachievable on the global rank display without a certain minimum rank in all of the ranked playlists. 

Playing very well in certain playlists, or exhibiting high levels of specialized skill will allow for unlocking certain medals that can be used to customize a player's icon. For example, an icon for a player who wins over 80% of BTB matches. Or, an icon for a player who has very high headshot rate with a sniper rifle. Or, an icon for a player who makes well received forge maps. Upto 3 icons can be used to customize the player icon. Make these actually nice looking icons and make them sufficiently difficult so that they have prestige. 

A large percentage of skins, armor and nameplate unlocks are locked behind a certain rank. This way, ranked play is incentivized oved dumb fluff like social slayer, to the more casual side of the game. 

The game has a built-in community page, kind of like the file browser. However, this page's primary purpose is to act like a built in ladder. It features shared map variants with the ability to like/dislike them, shared game clips, shared gametypes, clips of game-winning plays (kind of like how they were done in OW), a leaderboard of players based on EXP, a leaderboard of players based on skill rank, chat rooms, dev update notes, etc. 

Pre-game lobbies and post-game lobbies last for 40 seconds each, during which time the players in the lobby will have their playlist-specific rank and their global rank very prominently displayed beside their icon. 

Instead of having dumb season rankings that reset and kill motivation to regrind for, a monthly general leaderboard of players happens, during which the player's XP gain to time played ratio and month-specific skill rating are both weighted and averaged. Based off this, there's a "Top 100 Players of January 2021", and so forth. 

Never gonna happen but a man can dream

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Arena1999 said:

Eh, Halo 3: ODST is better, despite not being a PvP game... unless Reach is the 4th Halo FPS you're referring to.

I was thinking more like:

CE

H2

H3/ODST

Reach

Just because ODST is Halo 3 MP

2 hours ago, OG Nick said:

I was thinking more like:

CE

H2

H3/ODST

Reach

Just because ODST is Halo 3 MP

Ah, makes sense.

I understand why people thought ODST was overpriced DLC for Halo 3, but I felt the Campaign never garnered the attention it deserved, because I loved the way Bungie spiced up the narrative. It introduced Firefight — a mode that I spent much of my time on. And the OST is to die for; it definitely comes close to beating Halo 2 for the best Halo soundtrack, ever.

And the FoV makes the game much more accessible than the original Halo 3.

8 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

ZBNS Reach was much better than H3.

Default Reach may have been the worst competitive halo experience to exist. Maybe worse than H4? Tough to say. 

I'd rather default reach than 4. 4 just had way too many things going on and looked and sounded nothing like the halo games before it.

Kind of personal preference but there you go.

11 hours ago, Boyo said:

wHaTs Ur TaG sCrUb?

Complaining about competitiveness on a forum with tournaments on the homepage? Throwing around the wrong idea here. Maybe HaloWaypoint would suit you better since good players make you easily offended.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Whatever lol- H3 should never have had both the level of magnetism that it did AND molasses-speed projectiles. It's counterproductive. 

H3 as a whole is just a watered down, slowed down H2, which is a hugely watered down and slowed down HCE. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2