CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

17 minutes ago, SMARTAN 427 said:

Speaking of cross-mapping with the BR, I am sure that many higher level players LOVE H3's sandbox because of how uselessly weak it is. Because then they can just continue to use only the utility weapon without any second thoughts as to how they engage even the 'power' weapons. Such single-minded, one-dimensional gameplay of BR teamshot and that is it. It is a big reason why I stopped taking competitive Halo seriously a long time ago.

Exactly, and as I said I think midship being so popular among pros is also due to there not being any power weapons.
Feel like they often say "it's not as random" even if there is nothing random about power weapons, if done right they actually force movement and more dynamic map control which is harder to hold onto.
And yeah "competitive" and "Halo" in the same sentence was always a joke at best, the games have never been made for competitive play and if you wanted to push any skillgap in a shooter you would probably do it on PC to begin with.

1 hour ago, Aphex Twin said:

Just gonna leave this here:

Halo 3 is garbage, this debate was settled long ago. Can we please just accept it & move on?

Praising a Halo game that was designed to be random sends the wrong message.

Are we really gonna do the halo 3 is the dumbest game circle jerk, again?. We'd be blessed to get a h3 redo as halo infinite, blessed!. 

Do I agree ce is the better game? Definitely. Is it dumb to go in hard on rng (especially when it's an intentional design philosophy so the game appeals to more players--think of poker and how tournaments still only run once instead of the much more competitively sound running it twice/three times variant) on the weapon, when the game were propping up on a pedastal has random spawns that are integral to the gameplay and I'm sure is too often the difference maker in games being won or lost. 

There is obviously good and bad to all the games and I'd prefer something closer to ce but it would be a wet dream to play h3 4k in 2020. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

26 minutes ago, Sody91 said:

We'd be blessed to get a h3 redo as halo infinite, blessed!. 

...it would be a wet dream to play h3 4k in 2020. 

Even if Halo Sprintfinite was a H3 reboot and free 2 play I wouldn't install it. Also 4K is worthless for pvp shooters in 2020, would much rather play 1080p or 1440p and get high refreshrate going.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sody91 said:

... it would be a wet dream to play h3 4k in 2020. 

What you say:

"I want Halo 3 style gameplay to come back"

What I hear:

"I want RNG spread to determine where my bullets land & RNG netcode to determine whether or not my bullets register.

I want the utility weapon to have an effective range of a mere 15 feet and a kill time over 1.5 seconds.

I want clunky movement & a sluggish strafe, power item timers (2-3 minutes) and maps that promote stalemates (the pit, narrows, etc...).

I want weak ass grenades with short fuse times, no powerup/power weapon nade tricks, and a melee system with an overly forgiving lunge."

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

I've done some research and the chances of having no sprint in Infinite seem much higher now, though I'd still bet on Infinite having sprint rather than not. 

Ryan Darcey, Josh Holmes, Quinn Del Hoyo, and Kevin Franklin were the main people pushing sprint for Halo 5, and all except Quinn are long gone from 343i. 

That being said, a no sprint Halo isn't automatically a good Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

9 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Even H3's sniper rifle is pretty meh.

RoF is a joke, noscope magnetism is a thing, noscoping in generally is really easy (People playing on 10 sens can literally swipe over you at light speed and still get a body shot if you're mid or close range), and the fact that it's moreso Halo 3's trash aiming than the actual weapon itself that gives it a skillgap. 

The good thing about it is that it's the hardest weapon to kill with by hardscoping. 

Still feel like the OG CE Sniper rifle is better. 

I, myself, never understood the appeal of the Sniper Rifle in Halo 3. It feels a little too heavy and there is a some sort of recoil muzzle effect after firing a bullet.

I swear, Halo: Combat Evolved is the only game in this franchise with consistent quality. If there were anything I'd change about it, it would be to make the movement akin to Halo 2's and copy some of Halo 3's aesthetics and Needler. As for vehicular combat, maybe make the Scorpion's cannon a little more accurate, and not having players die by simply getting nudged by vehicles, in general.

• Upvote (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Even if Halo Sprintfinite was a H3 reboot and free 2 play I wouldn't install it.

Sounds like the "Halo Infinite Discussion" forum on Team Beyond is definitely the right place for you, glad you found us. :thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Trajan said:

Sounds like the "Halo Infinite Discussion" forum on Team Beyond is definitely the right place for you, glad you found us. :thinking:

Thanks, in a way I could argue that you found us being a member since 2014 and lurking since 2013 but overall just glad we can agree on things.

4 hours ago, Trajan said:

I think not settling for mediocrity is a good thing. Just taking out sprint and the other garbage doesn't automatically make a Halo game good, see H2A. 

2 hours ago, Basu said:

I think not settling for mediocrity is a good thing. Just taking out sprint and the other garbage doesn't automatically make a Halo game good, see H2A. 

That's actually a good point that I didn't think about a lot recently, that game was surprisingly bland and forgettable even if it didn't feel as terrible. It just felt like it was the skeleton of a classic Halo game with not much going on while the high bullet/crosshair magnetism always felt like once people see you (or you see them) it's just a timer ticking down until you/they die.

Sometimes I don’t get all this talk about bullet magnetism. The guns are hitscan aka they’re meant to connect the moment the reticule is on them regardless of distance, I get that the magnetism can make a shot hit but the shot is usually really close where it didn’t have a lot of negative effects 

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

Sometimes I don’t get all this talk about bullet magnetism. The guns are hitscan aka they’re meant to connect the moment the reticule is on them regardless of distance, I get that the magnetism can make a shot hit but the shot is usually really close where it didn’t have a lot of negative effects 

I think it's all a matter of where that "really close" line is drawn. I think everyone would agree that, as a console shooter, Halo requires some magnetism to compensate for the imprecision of controllers. But once the "hit" line starts to drift well outside the actual character model of the Spartan, it's going too far.

To reference cT's video again, look at H3's magnetism in the example from 0:08 – 0:20 acceptable.

The reticle is never over the Spartan's head at any point in the video, yet the player gets a 4sk. To me, that's not "really close"; that's unacceptably far away.

Another good example is the SubZero wall snipe from H5:

That's not "really close". Magnetism should only be high enough to provide console players with shot consistency. It should not visibly curve bullets.

• Like (+1) 2

That video is how the two games differentiate.

It's the wrong controlled variables. You can't compare the two. They are two different games. Looking at that video tho. H3 got it right

• Downvote (-1) 7

26 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

That video is how the two games differentiate.

It's the wrong controlled variables. You can't compare the two. They are two different games. Looking at that video tho. H3 got it right

Why can't fruit be compared?

6 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

Why can't fruit be compared?

Halos%2520box.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

You can't compare the two. They are two different games.

Ah yes, who in their right minds would compare different things to each other? I only compare things with themselves because that gives a lot of insight on how similar they are to themselves!

• Like (+1) 1

In H1, if that player was moving his bullets would actually be hitting. If the player is idle he needs to be aiming directly on the player for it to hit. H3 got it right

• Downvote (-1) 4

20 hours ago, Sody91 said:

Are we really gonna do the halo 3 is the dumbest game circle jerk, again?. We'd be blessed to get a h3 redo as halo infinite, blessed!. 

Do I agree ce is the better game? Definitely. Is it dumb to go in hard on rng (especially when it's an intentional design philosophy so the game appeals to more players--think of poker and how tournaments still only run once instead of the much more competitively sound running it twice/three times variant) on the weapon, when the game were propping up on a pedastal has random spawns that are integral to the gameplay and I'm sure is too often the difference maker in games being won or lost. 

There is obviously good and bad to all the games and I'd prefer something closer to ce but it would be a wet dream to play h3 4k in 2020. 

Randoms are only "integral to the gameplay" on 1 map in CE (Hang Em). Some players will complain about it (sometimes justifiably), but even then, I wouldn't say it influences the outcome all that often. Patch and Legend rarely drop matches on HH, and it's not because they're luckier than everyone else with the spawns.

I also think the problem with H3 BR isn't that it creates an "RNG factor" in gunfights or whatever. For the most part, it doesn't. The issue with the spread is that it completely handicaps the weapon at range. If I'm at one mancannon on Narrows with a snipe and you're at the other cannon with just a BR, then you have no ability to engage. I am wielding a 2 ton flaming boulder while you have a pair of kindergarten safety scissors. Doesn't matter what our abilities are, you are completely ineffective in that scenario. This isn't true in H1. A good pistol can and will beat a poor sniper very often, even across long lines of sight. The game even functions just fine while spawning the snipe in every 30 seconds. Could you imagine 30sec sniper spawns in H3?

37 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

In H1, if that player was moving his bullets would actually be hitting. If the player is idle he needs to be aiming directly on the player for it to hit. H3 got it right

What? How is the way H3 does it (generous correction of off-target aim) "right"?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

arent the videos from theatre/observer mode completely useless because what you see isn't 1:1 accurate reticle wise

The main reason I dislike the Halo 3 weapon balance is the same reason millions love it: the golden triangle is closer to being equilateral than ever before or after. 

For experienced shooter fans, it can be pretty boring to rely on grenades and especially melee to win every fight. But because the games weapons all are generally super weak, it’s the only option. However, for new players, being able to use melee and grenades as a crutch gave them time to develop their strafe and shot. This is why Halo 3 has such a positive legacy; it was the first game a lot of people became good at. 

• Upvote (+1) 1