CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, The Tyco said:

All the energy shields they keep adding to vehicles can fuck off.

Spot on. Although I wouldn't mind if the ghost had a destructible energy windshield instead of that giant hood that protects the driver and makes him invulnerable to attacks from the front.  (not my idea this has been posted before) 

The fact they gave the Banshee an energy shield is just proof that they have no idea what they are doing. The Reach Banshee was at least sort of hard to use and a total glass cannon, the H5 Banshee is as strong on the offense but also tanks shots like a Wraith. The Wasp can also die in a fire. 

• Fire (+1) 1

I've said this before but the mantis isn't even a vehicle so much as just a bigger Spartan, there's nothing fun about it. You might as well give the player the mario mushroom. That's not why vehicles are in the game, they should legitimately change the way you move and handle. The warthog and mongoose will always be the most fun because of that, they're just cars. 

• Like (+1) 3

I can't speak for the banshee in Halo 5 but in Reach it really was a glass cannon, great damage output but as soon as 8 players focus fire it with DMR's it gets melted so quickly. Something about it didn't feel quite right, either your team of Timmies didn't shoot it at all and it felt like people just bomb respawn points or the banshee gets melted before it can do anything.
Honestly not sure if anything flying is really needed in Halo.

Warthog, Mongoose, Hornet, Tank.

Ghost, Revenant, Banshee, Wraith.

Chopper, Prowler.

Good round number, most of them were already designed well enough for a few more easy changes.

Thrust is not needed.

• Like (+1) 1

Not going to lie I really like the Mantis, specifically. I'm biased a bit because mechs are cool. And I find it fun to walk around in a giant version of a Spartan.

IMO it is/was one of the less easy vehicles to get kills with, due to the short range it has/had and the fact that it can't really chase much. Much better balanced IMO than getting blasted by the large AoE on a Scorpion and Wraith, sniped by the damn Gauss Hog (H2A's charge-up version sounded better balanced for the Gauss), or chased down by the Ghost or Banshee.

The Mantis relies on the rest of the team for support more than other vehicles, IMO. Unlike many others where they wreak havoc by themselves. Hard to kill, sure, but I don't think it is that bad. Just like 8 DMR shots and the shield is gone, then it doesn't have much more health than a Warthog. Easily dies to the Splaser just like anything else otherwise. And Warthogs themselves can easily outrange it on fairly open ground.

This is all mostly speaking from the H4 version. Where you had to charge up the rockets to unleash multiple at once. And they didn't track anything either. In MP at least. Requiring the operator to lead the rockets at range.

IMO wouldn't need shields on things if vehicles weren't squishy paper mache deathtraps since Reach. IMO they aren't worth it a lot of the time. If I do get one, I pretty much anticipate a guaranteed respawn. Been playing a bit more MCC BTB with a friend lately so all this stuff has been more apparent to me.

52 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

I've said this before but the mantis isn't even a vehicle so much as just a bigger Spartan, there's nothing fun about it. You might as well give the player the mario mushroom. That's not why vehicles are in the game, they should legitimately change the way you move and handle. The warthog and mongoose will always be the most fun because of that, they're just cars. 

What’s funny is that Halo has got things so backwards now.  Sprinting Spartans handle like a car, continuously moving forward while turning left and right while the Mantis handles like a human, stepping left and right while firing.  So I suppose the Mantis does provide something unique in this bastardized game.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

I can't speak for the banshee in Halo 5 but in Reach it really was a glass cannon, great damage output but as soon as 8 players focus fire it with DMR's it gets melted so quickly. Something about it didn't feel quite right, either your team of Timmies didn't shoot it at all and it felt like people just bomb respawn points or the banshee gets melted before it can do anything.
Honestly not sure if anything flying is really needed in Halo.

If it was harder to use, like Battlefields helicopters for example I would be fine with it. Really goes to show that your point a few days about Halo not being very well thought through is very accurate. Giving people the ability to fly AND have massive damage output (and in games outside of Reach also survivability) is just asking for issues. But hey we have a shiny alien spacecraft isn't that EPIC?

• Like (+1) 2

Halos vehicles are about simplicity and intuitive control. The only thing they need is specific weak points so that players can counter them on spawn. Making them like battlefield vehicles wouldn't fit imo. 

Plus I never really liked vehicles in battlefield.

• Like (+1) 2

While we're talking about the vehicles- Ideally 4v4 would remove them from the maps entirely and relegate them to larger modes, but if they stay in ranked 4v4...

Please, make people get on and not just ignore them. I can't tell you the number of Standoff games I've had to lose because my sweat teammates had too big of an ego to use the hog, or because my teammates were too dumb to use the hog. 

More vehicle related medals or a higher contribution to XP gained for using a vehicle well would go a decent way in making them less ignored. 

• Like (+1) 1

Standoff is a great example of why Halo should have both a 4v4 and a 6v6 playlist.  It’s not a 4v4 map.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Vehicles I feel are in a good place. In h5 they delivered high damage outputs but a few people shooting at one could easily take it down. All these vehicle noobs think they should be able to hop into one and tank bullets. Most of them want a warthog to be as capable as h3(which is only op because it’s down right impossible to kill the driver because of the BR spread, and slow bullet velocity. But in h1,2,reach,4&5 the hog ain’t op. Now I think one way to rectify this would be shields on the side of the gunner like the jackels shields, this way a gunner is more protected. Now this should be the side not the front or back. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Warthog, Mongoose, Hornet, Tank.

Ghost, Revenant, Banshee, Wraith.

Chopper, Prowler.

Good round number, most of them were already designed well enough for a few more easy changes.

Why the Hornet over the Falcon?

What does the Prowler offer that other vehicles don’t already cover?  

Should tank operators be able to fire their secondary turrets or should another player need to man them?  

What “few more easy changes” could the vehicles use?  

• Like (+1) 1

Get these guys some Halo testosterone. I need to see a competitive strafe asap after reading this thread.

To add to the strafe debate. Made a quick video. 

You can get the jist.

• Toxic (+1) 1

Where did you get the Halo themed Mad Libs you used to create your post?

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Standoff is a great example of why Halo should have both a 4v4 and a 6v6 playlist.  It’s not a 4v4 map.  

Standoff is a great example of why Halo 3 sucks

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 minute ago, _Synapse said:

Standoff is a great example of why Halo 3 sucks

I mean, even Halo 2 with Zanzibar and Burial Mounds would play much better as 6v6 maps, imo.  

• Like (+1) 1

Standoff is one of the better btb maps if anything.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

This is kinda what I’m against, making BTB just a larger 4v4 experience.  BTB, or whatever the big battle mode is, should highlight heavy vehicles and anti vehicle weapons and interactive maps, not just stuff more infantry on them.  

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

I mean, even Halo 2 with Zanzibar and Burial Mounds would play much better as 6v6 maps, imo.  

Burial mounds is pretty decent outside of the fact that you can basically spawn into a sniper's view. Zanzibar I personally hate because the offense team can get endlessly spawnkilled if the defending team pushes out to the building overlooking beach spawn and stays there. 

I think FatRat had a clip in "Crossroads" where he literally got a back-to-back killionaire to killmanjaro. Even if it was 8v8, it still shows the problem with spawns on that map. 

Though you're not wrong. I guess my point was that Standoff is a perfect example of the main problem with H3, which is that the utility is so gimped outside of spitting distance that people just endlessly keep pinging people across the map in a vain attempt to make a team push to the other team's rocks. Like most maps in H3, not very fun to play without a party. 

The map plays alright in BTB though that's only because that's the only appropriate player count for it's size, because people in BTB tend to kind of mindlessly walk forward to shoot at stuff, and because the vehicles are actually a factor in play. I'd go so far as to say that the map would be Desolation levels of bad if it weren't for the Warthogs.  

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Why the Hornet over the Falcon?
Hornet maneuvers and controls more fluidly. Falcon is cool, but the added challenge of managing its weight, amidst its more realistic attempt at flight, battles with you more than the Spartans shooting at you.

What does the Prowler offer that other vehicles don’t already cover?
While similar to the Warthog, it has the added advantage of being the vehicle that can house the most players. Its true potential occurs when you have passengers that have good aim, or a power weapon. Basically a much more mobile cavalry if used appropriately.

Should tank operators be able to fire their secondary turrets or should another player need to man them?
The latter.

What “few more easy changes” could the vehicles use?
The Ghost's thruster could either be removed, or tweaked to give a good tell, and make it only burst forward with minor turning ability. Mongoose can be much faster and much more flexible to control, enriching its "scout" and "rally" mark in the sandbox. Revenant can nerf the bullet mag and auto aim the passenger gets. Warthog's chaingun is perfectly accurate, but overheats after three seconds, and has lower bullet mag. Same thing with the Hornet and Tank. As for the Wraith and Prowler, have its projectiles in a fixed spread along with a longer duration of continuing fire before overheating. Banshee is a glass cannon. Chopper is perfect.

Oh, and Thrust is not needed. 

Human vehicles tend to split the job of driver and gunner while Covenant vehicles tend to combine them.  Don't you think the Falcon fits this model better than the Hornet, along with being better balanced.  Like, it’s a good thing that a Warthog requires two players to operate, right?  

If a “mobile cavalry” vehicle is what you are shooting for, don’t you think there is something better than a Warthog reskin with an extra passenger seat?  

Rather than overheating, I would give the chaingun bloom.  If there was ever a time to implement bloom, it’s on a mobile turret with unlimited ammo.  I would save overheating for the perfectly accurate covenant turrets.  Covenant turrets are accurate but overheat.  Human turrets have bloom but never overheat.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

If only the BR was better. I remember the remake in h5 and tbh it plays pretty good still, if not better than h3s version. 
Also fuck the falcon, just give us the hornet. Or better yet a falcon with a gun the flight operator can use, oh yeah I forgot that’s the pelican. 

25 minutes ago, Toastomgi said:

Halo 3s sandbox is bon appetit

that's a weird way to say awful

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 1

Rarely do I trust info about Halo that I get from r/Halo, but I just saw some shit I didn't know about which surprised me.

Kevin Franklin, Ryan Darcey, and Josh Holmes no longer work at 343, and they were apparently some of the biggest advocates for keeping sprint after Reach. I don't remember anything about the first two, but I remember responding to Josh Holmes on his posts here and calling him out in an anti-sprint video I made.

Why do I still have a feeling that in the end this won't mean anything anyways...

• Like (+1) 2