CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

You can bet your ass if there’s sprint in the campaign it’s 100% going to be in the multiplayer because they haven’t shown any indication they’ve backed off from there wanting unified settings bull shit.

• Upvote (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

If vehicles had serious killing potential I would rather balance it out by the vehicle requiring more skill to operate and perform well with rather than giving people thrusters to dodge the vehicles. 

When playing with a controller, there is a limit to how much skill can be required to operate something because of the physical limitations of a thumbstick.  Additionally, you don’t want players to feel like a vehicle is fighting them because that defeats the whole purpose of on-map items.  No one is going to seek out something that is a pain in the ass to operate.  

9 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

vehicles don't require a ton of mechanical skill to get kills with, if anything it's more about how you position and move around with them.

This applies to thrust as well.  It’s not difficult to press a button.  It’s about how and when the player chooses to deploy it.  

Well they don't have to be a pain to not be that easy to use, if you think about the sniper that can also be harder to hit shots with than your assault rifle up close and people still pick it up. And I am aware about aiming skill gap being rather tiny on controller compared to mouse aiming but I still feel like bullet magnetism and aim assist on guns/vehicles in Halo has been super forgiving in the past.

And I was mainly disagreeing with the importance of thrusters to make vehicles work, devoid of the fact that I wouldn't design vehicles in the way Halo does most of the time.

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Thrust is not needed.

Separate vehicle paths.

Thrust is not needed.

Not even separate vehicle paths. Good player movement makes them harder to hit already 

5 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

I wouldn't design vehicles in the way Halo does most of the time.

If you feel like sharing, I would love to hear, even if it’s just general design philosophy and not specific changes.  

1 minute ago, Mr Grim said:

Not even separate vehicle paths. Good player movement makes them harder to hit already 

If base movement was increased to the point that infantry could outstrafe vehicles, players would be moving too quickly for a controller to reliably aim at.

Jumping in the presence of a Ghost is a death sentence.  Thrust changes that.  

I’d like to get peoples thoughts on the Mantis.

Personally I think it’s the worst vehicle ever added into the franchise and completely ruins the perfect vehicle balance established by every other Halo game and it’s just  completely oppressive gameplay wise and ideally 343 would delete it but we all know that’s not happening.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Boyo said:

In 2 and 3 you can jump over it.

1 minute ago, Mr Grim said:

In 2 and 3 you can jump over it.

An airborne player has extremely limited control over his movement.  Even with “air control” it still wouldn’t do much to stop a ghost from faking a boost, waiting for you to jump, then splattering you.  When infantry can thrust, this maneuver becomes more dangerous because a boost fake could put the ghost within thrusting range, leaving it open to hijacking.  

Just make it good.  Why didn’t I think of that?

I hate the boost mechanic on the ghost. It's the sprint of vehicle design. 

Instead, just make the ghost naturally fast and maneuverable. If really necessary, replace the boost with a vertical jump so that the vehicle has even more traveral capability. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Instead, just make the ghost naturally fast and maneuverable. If really necessary, replace the boost with a vertical jump so that the vehicle has even more traveral capability. 

One, the ghost is a pick up so it’s different than sprint.  Two, boost is a weapon used to splatter.  You could argue that Spartan Charge follows the same model but this brings us back to point one.  The ghost is a pick up so it’s ok to give it certain advantages.  Just as how everyone shouldn’t spawn in ghosts, everyone shouldn’t spawn with the ability to Spartan Charge either.  

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

I feel like every vehicle path is also a player path (maybe with the exception of jumps you need high velocity for or banshee shenanigans since those options are midair) but not every player path is a vehicle path. Imo good BTB maps don't have too many giant open areas where infantry has no chance to take cover from a vehicle - even if those are popular in the franchise since BTB doesn't seem to be taken as seriously to begin with.

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

If you feel like sharing, I would love to hear, even if it’s just general design philosophy and not specific changes.  

If base movement was increased to the point that infantry could outstrafe vehicles, players would be moving too quickly for a controller to reliably aim at.

General design philosophy would mostly be support, I like how warthogs get used to capture flags quickly while also having a potent gun but the people in the vehicle are vulnerable if the driver doesn't pay attention, you have to potentially check if shields of 2 or 3 players are recharged if you want to stay alive, it just seems like a more teamplay oriented vehicle than a ghost that some kid is annoying you with or trying to run over enemies.
Or that you can capture flags with a mongoose without the flag carrier having to exit, not sure if that still exists but that was a neat touch.

Now I don't have a ton of vehicle ideas ready right now but I feel like with enough time and testing more vehicles could become more "well rounded" like warthogs instead of being a glass cannon like the banshee or some tank that sits there like a brick abusing shitty spawns until somebody sneaks up and takes it out with melee.

I also don't think we have to be able to outstrafe or thrust away from vehicles trying to ram you, if you position that way in the first place it's your fault, even if I do realize that I can only push for this opinion if the BTB maps are designed with this in mind, which they currently are not.
Basically avoid giant open areas and have distinct infantry only paths spread through your map so movement doesn't stagnate even if one team is using a ton of vehicles. In that case you don't have to outstrafe or thrust away from a vehicle if you are careful and reposition well.

47 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Or just remove the ridiculous length of the boost they give you, it's the number 1 mechanic for splattering players, and even if it can be fun it lead Bungie to introducing shit like armor lock because they knew a single infantry player on an open map cannot stop a ghost easily off spawn.
Maybe we shouldn't try to fix vehicle designs by handing out thrust but reworking shit like ghosts which are an annoying harassing tool at best and a meme at worst imo.

45 minutes ago, thdyingbreed said:

Personally I think it’s the worst vehicle ever added into the franchise and completely ruins the perfect vehicle balance established by every other Halo game and it’s just  completely oppressive gameplay wise and ideally 343 would delete it but we all know that’s not happening.

Oddly enough I feel like the mantis has a lot of potential being a walker of decent size, but I agree that the way it has been implemented has not played out well at all. Maybe I am biased as a mapper since I can think you can design around walkers very well but it would also need to be reworked to begin with, so probably wishful thinking at best.
But yeah "ruining the perfect vehicle balance" is not something I would speak off, always felt gimmicky and half baked to me.

10 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Feel like on a decent map mongoose and warthogs should be enough for transport even, ghosts just seem like annoying harassing tools which don't really add a lot to the game I feel like. Maybe if they had a second seat behind the driver but the player in it has to be more exposed. Boost needs more cooldown then so it doesn't become just a quickcap tool in CTF.
Lot of control for your side to side movement should go well with it hovering tho, could make for the much needed gameplay difference it would need to co-exist with warthog and mongoose if you would debate adding a second seat.

Say what you want about wide open btb maps but I love sandtrap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2

10 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Yet another thing in the long list of things Halo Ce already got right that was pointlessly changed.  I swear the base speed for the ghost in that game is significantly faster than the others.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

imagine needed thrust to outmaneuver a ghost lol

Tremors champion right here.  

3 minutes ago, Ramirez77 said:

Yet another thing in the long list of things Halo Ce already got right that was pointlessly changed.  I swear the base speed for the ghost in that game is significantly faster than the others.

Yeah if there’s anything CE got right, it’s the vehicles.  

I feel that the ghost has potential to carve itself a unique role in the vehicle sandbox. 

Very fast, capable of maneuvering and firing in differing directions, very lethal at close ranges, and capable of traversing certain routes on BTB maps that other ground vehicles can't. At the same time, it's frail enough to where it can't take on more than 2-3 people reliably, and it being lightweight and floaty means that it gets knocked over very easily by tertiary explosions. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, thdyingbreed said:

The Warthog and the detached turret already provide better balanced versions of the Mantis so I don’t think it should exist.  If there had to be something that filled a similar niche, I would introduce a “transformer turret” type of vehicle.  

Moving and shooting are mutually exclusive.  It can either move at wraith speed or plant itself in one spot and, after a short transformation period, fire.  The bumpers could raise the turret up and down, allowing the user to fire over cover then duck back down behind it.  Ground vehicles can already move laterally but cannot independently elevate themselves.  At least this would provide something unique.  

13 hours ago, thdyingbreed said:

100% this. It's as oppressive as a tank but not fun to use or fight against in any way. Such a pointless addition to the sandbox. Honestly on most maps as soon as you enter the Mantis you can annouce to your team "I'm not going to die for the rest of this game" and just sit next to cover and be completely invincible to anything that isn't a laser (pretty sure it tanks at least two laser shots though) because of the completely ridiculous shield. At the same time it's super innacurate, slow, has low damage output and the only skill it requires is patience, because you get so bored you want to give in to the urge and actually push somewhere but then you get boarded.

• Like (+1) 4

One thing I hope infinite has is a big enough population for a good ranking system to actually be meaningful. I feel like most games that come out lately have the ol’ “it’s just a grindfest dude” thing going on.

No vehicle in Halo really needs to be removed, just systematically redesigned. The vehicles all have a ton of potential for fun, it's just a shame that the devs design them to be so one-dimensional. 

Except the gungoose. That thing's just kind of counterintuitive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1