CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, NavG123 said:

Why would they go for a Thursday morning reveal? Not trying to bash; just not sure why they'd pick that over a Friday evening/Saturday time.

I’ve heard the reason is because people will less likely watch it on a weekend since they’ll be doing something or whatever. 

On 7/4/2020 at 2:35 AM, Reamis25 said:

Why should I need a vehicle? 

Because BTB has big maps and vehicles that you're supposed to use to get around.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1

2 hours ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

Because BTB has big maps and vehicles that you're supposed to use to get around.

Ok and should I be punished for not using one? An advantage yes but not a disadvantage. It shouldn’t take me forever to get to top middle on Valhalla. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

6 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Ok and should I be punished for not using one? An advantage yes but not a disadvantage. It shouldn’t take me forever to get to top middle on Valhalla. 

You aren't fucking disadvantage because everyone not in a vehicle (THE MAJORITY OF THE LOBBY) will be in the same situation as you. 

AND TOP MIDDLE IN VALHALLA IS LITERALLY A MAN CANNON AWAY

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:26 PM, NavG123 said:

Why would they go for a Thursday morning reveal? Not trying to bash; just not sure why they'd pick that over a Friday evening/Saturday time.

Thursday morning is an interesting choice instead of a Tuesday or Wednesday. Big game events and reveals are almost never on weekends though, I'd assume it is because of the gaming news cycle, people aren't as busy, and their employees don't expect to be off. 

What you say:

"I want Halo 3 style gameplay to come back"

What I hear:

"I want RNG spread to determine where my bullets land & RNG netcode to determine whether or not my bullets register.

I want the utility weapon to have an effective range of a mere 15 feet and a kill time over 1.5 seconds.

I want clunky movement & a sluggish strafe, power item timers (2-3 minutes) and maps that promote stalemates (the pit, narrows, etc...).

I want weak ass grenades with short fuse times, no powerup/power weapon nade tricks, and a melee system with an overly forgiving lunge."

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

6 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

What you say:

What I hear:

"I want RNG spread to determine where my bullets land & RNG netcode to determine whether or not my bullets register.

I want the utility weapon to have an effective range of a mere 15 feet and a kill time over 1.5 seconds.

I want clunky movement & a sluggish strafe, power item timers (2-3 minutes) and maps that promote stalemates (the pit, narrows, etc...).

I want weak ass grenades with short fuse times, no powerup/power weapon nade tricks, and a melee system with an overly forgiving lunge."

LMAO that is EXACTLY what I think too when I hear the same thing lol.

• Like (+1) 1

Well it's that time of year again, to come back because of an announcement coming soon. And it's the same arguments for the past 10 years. Such nostalgia

9 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

You aren't fucking disadvantage because everyone not in a vehicle (THE MAJORITY OF THE LOBBY) will be in the same situation as you. 

AND TOP MIDDLE IN VALHALLA IS LITERALLY A MAN CANNON AWAY

That’s not the POINT. I do not care if everyone’s in the same situation as me. The fact is me and everyone else is slow as shit. And I shouldn’t need to use that man canon to get their quickly. Obviously using the canon is quicker but that doesn’t negate the issues when I get on the ground. You act as if I’m asking for some high ass speed where people can zoom across the map in seconds. I just want a bms equilavent to the speed of sprinting in h5 which I’ll add is just 125% speed in that game. Maybe a little less be better. I’d say 115% bms would be the ideal movement speed.

Halo 3 is really the equivalent of what MW2 is for Call of Duty, people played it when they were 12 years old and not capable of judging the gameplay and now there is extreme nostalgia for the game because there have been many fun weekends spent with friends in said game. And while that was most certainly a great time for many of us (I mean hell, I played that game on 360 a lot) it was mostly because playing with your mates is always gonna be a fun time.
It just doesn't make it such an amazing game tho, and while that is subjective to begin with I am saying this specifically because people seem to forget about some terrible design decisions of that game because of the nostalgia they have. It's funny how similar it is to the CoD example I mentioned, release a CoD game with noob tubes, one man army and stopping power UMP in 2020 and you get so much hate (arguably deserved), yet people say MW2 was so great and fun even if it has the exact issues I named. It's a double standard because those people give the new game shit for everything.
And I am a person who gives the new Halo's a lot of shit - so by my standards I have to judge all the old games the same way, really go out and look at all the details and revisit if I really thought "this is the way a Halo game should be". And Halo 3 is pretty bad in my personal view, not all that much better than Reach, 4 and 5, sure it does a better job at being a more classic Halo which I like as somebody who thinks CE was their best game for pvp but they dropped the ball in other areas, floaty movement, BR being a lottery gun, weak power weapons on long timers, annoyingly long average TTK, some very boring maps, etc.

I guess Halo will always be a tough game to get right if you want to convince me, they have done so many things right and wrong with different titles, it just feels like they never put the best things across the titles together to make a great experience that learned from the mistakes of the past. And I am not saying that is easy by any means, it's just that I feel other franchises have managed to do a better job at this.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warlord Wossman said:

guess Halo will always be a tough game to get right if you want to convince me, they have done so many things right and wrong with different titles,

Halo is one of those games where people are confused at what is good,fun, balanced etc compared to other games. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't hold Halo 3 with as much animosity as many people in this forum do, but it's hard to talk about the game without mentioning its piss-poor weapon sandbox, the netcode, the FoV... Halo 3 is just not great Multiplayer game, period, and I don't care if it represents the peak of Halo's popularity; Halo 3's was popular because of its advertising, customization, and its features, not because of its design.

That's not even taking its lackluckster Campaign into account. Five out of the nine playable missions are just filler battles on Earth until "The Ark", which was originally supposed to be the final resolution to Halo 2's narrative.

I still think Halo 3 is a good game in its own right, but it's not the magnum opus of the series; neither is Halo 2.

On 7/6/2020 at 11:47 PM, Reamis25 said:

Taking the mancannon and then jumping as soon as you land takes a whole like 3 seconds to get you to the hill in the middle.

This guy sounds half bot half human the way he types.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 1

54 minutes ago, FukOffMyPlanet3 said:

You're not Entitled to your Fucking Map Position Instant Gratification. I swear to fucking God a Viewmodel swaying mechanic has completely Ruined an entire Generation of Children. I know You're saying you would be happy with Doom 4 movement but even still people used to play Halo 1 and 2 and even 3 and Even tons of Military shooters back in the day without frothing and foaming for the need to Warp across the map and find every powerup possible all within the duration of a Toilet flushing. There was a stoic moderate tempo to movement in battlefield shooters where everyone's brain just kind of accepted and understood that vehicles are optimal transportation and maps are intentionally designed for your player to not be able to Rat skitter every single little crevice immediately. 

Call of Duty came barging the fuck in with its Smooth ass gun sprint  movement animation and everyone lost their reasonability for map pacing just aimlessly rat skitter through the map get everything you want everywhere you want whenever the fuck you want

There’s a big problem when map pacing is slow. Heck’s no one batted an eye when h3 mlg increased bms to 110 which I’ll add does change the pace to a certain degree.  You also could be right, people had no problem back in the day because nothing else was available. Games like cod, apex legends, etc have spoiled People like myself, and to a great degree doom. When I play doom I can’t help but want that movement in halo because it feels right. It doesn’t have a useless animation like sprint. I can continue to use my gun as much as I desire. That game has clamber but it’s very rare when you need to use it, since double jump is a thing making it so that’s not necessary. Now I personally can go into these halos no problem but I still think the bms should be relatively quicker. Heck’s h2 definitely could use a boost to its bms, idk why it’s so slow. 
@Jake Teh Nub read a comment properly. My point is the man canon really shouldn’t be necessary. A decent bms that’s equivalent to that of doom 4 bms would do wonders to halo. The man canon is your only choice if you don’t want to take forever getting to the top. Problem is, it’s such a predictable path way. 

57 minutes ago, Crimson said:

@Reamis25 My dealer ran out, can you hook a brother up?

He got arrested this morning because someone snitched, so you’re out of luck. 

• WutFace (+0) 1

Halo 3 gameplay scratched the itches of most fps online players in its day. The fact that its weapons didn't kill quite fast enough or its movement wasn't quite crisp enough do not bother most players. Most of them aren't fucking stay up 23 hours super competitive tournament minded. And the idea that the game was only popular because people played it with their friends is just... like I don't even know what to say to that. Any game can be played this way, and yet most of them do not become that popular. 

I swear people will come up with any technical reason to dismiss a games success if they personally don't like it. Its like they can't step outside their bubble and accept that a group of gamers have different priorities than they do.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Halo 3 gameplay scratched the itches of most fps online players in its day. The fact that its weapons didn't kill quite fast enough or its movement wasn't quite crisp enough do not bother most players. Most of them aren't fucking stay up 23 hours super competitive tournament minded. And the idea that the game was only popular because people played it with their friends is just... like I don't even know what to say to that. Any game can be played this way, and yet most of them do not become that popular. 

I swear people will come up with any technical reason to dismiss a games success if they personally don't like it. Its like they can't step outside their bubble and accept that a group of gamers have different priorities than they do.

If the part with "the game was only popular because people played it with their friends" is referencing what I said you are missing the point.
I am saying people don't remember some of the bad design decisions in Halo 3 as much because the positive experience and generally liking the game at the time is what they like to bring up, generally that's what the term nostalgia is referencing. And the reason I brought that up is because there is a lot more smack talk about later Halo games which arguably are seen as worse by many people but I was trying to say that judging those games all by the same standard is the most reasonable if you want to draw any conclusions that help forming an opinion about the future of the Halo franchise and where you would like to see it going (which is part of the discussion going on here over the last few pages).
So yeah if you are trying to twist my words into saying that Halo 3 wouldn't have been popular if people didn't play with their friends that's not what I was trying to say at all. And if you think I am trying to come up with "any technical reason to dismiss a games success" I would generally advice you to re-read my message and alternatively read up on how to analyze what other people are trying to say without your personal bias effecting it to the point where you make assumptions like this one I just quoted.

19 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

If the part with "the game was only popular because people played it with their friends" is referencing what I said you are missing the point.
I am saying people don't remember some of the bad design decisions in Halo 3 as much because the positive experience and generally liking the game at the time is what they like to bring up, generally that's what the term nostalgia is referencing. And the reason I brought that up is because there is a lot more smack talk about later Halo games which arguably are seen as worse by many people but I was trying to say that judging those games all by the same standard is the most reasonable if you want to draw any conclusions that help forming an opinion about the future of the Halo franchise and where you would like to see it going (which is part of the discussion going on here over the last few pages).
So yeah if you are trying to twist my words into saying that Halo 3 wouldn't have been popular if people didn't play with their friends that's not what I was trying to say at all. And if you think I am trying to come up with "any technical reason to dismiss a games success" I would generally advice you to re-read my message and alternatively read up on how to analyze what other people are trying to say without your personal bias effecting it to the point where you make assumptions like this one I just quoted.

I wasn't directly responding to your post. Actually most of what you said was fine imo. The one part there about coop play... yeah I think I missread that too now. I only brought that one part up because it weirded me out the way I read it. I'm just commenting on a general atmosphere I've noticed on this forum for a long time regarding games in general. It wasn't specifically aimed towards you warlord.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr Grim said:

I wasn't directly responding to your post. Actually most of what you said was fine. The one part there about coop play... yeah I think I missread that. I'm just commenting on a general atmosphere I've noticed on this forum for a long time regarding games in general. 

Right, I think for some people it can be hard to see why others like games they personally dislike, for me it's always hard to tell if they put their opinion this way because they are frustrated that there is not more people sharing their thoughts on the matter or if they really think it's impossible to enjoy whatever game for some reason.
And what you said about a more hardcore mindset from players who sweat for hour in games versus what everybody else thinks about movement or TTK is also part of that, I don't think many people who casually enjoyed Halo 3 ever lost a thought on what the ideal TTK for Halo in a competitive setting should be, because that's not how they liked playing to begin with.

I feel like generally on this forum it makes sense to see more of those posts because of the frustrations many hardcore fans of classic Halo have, I think it also depends how serious people are when they post, I have def made some bold statements before while not being all that serious, can always return to "real talk" if a more interesting discussion emerges.
But yeah tl:dr is that sometimes people just like to say something controversial for the sake of it or to kickstart a discussion where they can later get into more details when it comes to their actual opinion I think, at least I hope it's that because if we just write off other people's reasons and opinions to like/dislike games there is not much point in having a discussion about it on a forum.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The way I see it is that most communication on this website revolves around how competitive the games are and tends to confuse subjective opinions and feelings with objective fact quite a lot. The bottom line for Halo is that a lot of people enjoy all of the Halo games regardless of what we like or dislike about them. Many more enjoyed the older games than enjoy the current games if we're looking at popularity and a MUCH larger percentage of gaming as a whole gave the original trilogy attention than the series really garners now. If you dropped Halo 2 or 3 right now in the climate that Infinite releases in they wouldn't take off the way they did at the time. Its not that they aged poorly or that they weren't good its that bungie isn't some console dev on an island where they actually make functional and useful user interfaces and revolutionize matchmaking and online gameplay in 2020. Halo back then made socializing on Xbox Live so much easier and appealing because it was just easy to do with what bungie gave us. Almost everybody does what they did so well now thus Halo does need to step it up and revolutionize gaming again if it wants to ever see those same heights. The funny thing is Halo 2 and 3 didn't even do that via gameplay but instead with the support around the gameplay and I think that flies right over most people's head including the developers 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

The way I see it is that most communication on this website revolves around how competitive the games are and tends to confuse subjective opinions and feelings with objective fact quite a lot. The bottom line for Halo is that a lot of people enjoy all of the Halo games regardless of what we like or dislike about them. Many more enjoyed the older games than enjoy the current games if we're looking at popularity and a MUCH larger percentage of gaming as a whole gave the original trilogy attention than the series really garners now. If you dropped Halo 2 or 3 right now in the climate that Infinite releases in they wouldn't take off the way they did at the time. Its not that they aged poorly or that they weren't good its that bungie isn't some console dev on an island where they actually make functional and useful user interfaces and revolutionize matchmaking and online gameplay in 2020. Halo back then made socializing on Xbox Live so much easier and appealing because it was just easy to do with what bungie gave us. Almost everybody does what they did so well now thus Halo does need to step it up and revolutionize gaming again if it wants to ever see those same heights. The funny thing is Halo 2 and 3 didn't even do that via gameplay but instead with the support around the gameplay and I think that flies right over most people's head including the developers 

It didn't fly over bungie's. The way they handle destiny, it seems they knew exactly that. 343 seems to not understand this at all for some fucking reason. All the community options and outlets are borked from the start, added way too late, or just deleted entirely. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/7/2020 at 2:09 PM, Aphex Twin said:

What you say:

What I hear:

What you say:

"Halo 5 is the greatest of all time"

An ideal limited to this forum. Which I've come to realize is just trolling.

Halo 3 built this community. TheHalo3Forum was no joke in 2007-2010. More popular and content being put out there then any platform today.

Wayyy more then the zombie culture today that watch randoms play video games and offer little to no content other then feeding nobody's.

It should be expected the halo community wants a sequel or something similar to H3.

That being a properly made game.

Bungie was and is the only gaming studio that could offer us that imo. 343 is just Microsofts farms farmer milking the cow which left with Bungie and now they are milking a dog.

When Infinite is released we need to have a petition made on any serious changes that need to be made to the game.