CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

3 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

OG Halo 4's BR after the TU is a 1.3 Perfect Kill. In the MCC version, its original fire-rate was kept when it was a five burst kill, which in turn sped up its PKT by .2 seconds. A change not a lot of people noticed, but advocates that values in the games were editable long before they said they had the capability.

If a game dev ever says that they don't have the tools to update things like that post launch, they're full of shit. Fortnite patched in split screen for God sake. 

• Like (+1) 5

How can the Rocket Launcher be made more effective in BTB without significantly altering its performance in Arena? 

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

How can the Rocket Launcher be made more effective in BTB without significantly altering its performance in Arena? 

I've always felt that you should be able to control the rocket with your crosshair when scoped in like the AT4 in BFBC2, I think there was a REQ weapon similar to this in Halo 5 which fires 3 rockets iirc, obviously the regular rocket shouldn't do that and a balancing factor would be the inability to fire a second rocket whilst using the scoped feature. Unscoped for rapidfire and scoped for rocket control using the crosshair.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mow said:

you should be able to control the rocket with your crosshair when scoped in 

Why not just replace the scope with a laser?  It gives a visible tell and doesn’t require an arbitrary view magnification to activate.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

14 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

If a game dev ever says that they don't have the tools to update things like that post launch, they're full of shit. Fortnite patched in split screen for God sake. 

Other games might not be using zombie code from 1999. :kappa:

50 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Why not just replace the scope with a laser?  It gives a visible tell and doesn’t require an arbitrary view magnification to activate.  

Can you elaborate, I'm not sure exactly what you mean?

14 minutes ago, Mow said:

Can you elaborate, I'm not sure exactly what you mean?

Why should a player need to scope before he can remotely control a rocket?  How are those two actions related?  What benefit does tying them together have?  

14 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Why should a player need to scope before he can remotely control a rocket?  How are those two actions related?  What benefit does tying them together have?  

Because it is intuitive? You aren't necessarily going to want to fire a remote controlled rocket every single time, the scope mechanic gives you the freedom and choice of which one you want to use depending on the scenario. Sure, you could have the scope button activate some kind of laser instead as you suggested but that seems even less intuitive than it simply activating a scope for obvious reasons.

As I mentioned in the original post, this mechanic has already been implemented into Halo in the form of a REQ weapon and the AT4 in Bad Company 2 works in a similar fashion, so we already know it can work.

@Mow

RT fires a rocket.  Continuing to hold RT after firing activates a laser.  The delay between firing and activating the laser allows the rocket to travel straight forward for a bit before being influenced by the user.  In addition, requiring RT be held down naturally prevents a second rocket from being fired while one is already in flight.  

I don’t see the need to tie laser guidance to scoping is all I’m saying.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

Clip size alone should be more than enough in my opinion. I don't think it really should be more effective in BTB. I think vehicles in BTB should require way more effort to destroy. Some combination of team work, well placed plasma pistol shots, grenades, and power weapons should all be necessary to take down scorpions, banshees, wraith, and mantises (manti?). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MaceX42 said:

Clip size alone should be more than enough in my opinion. I don't think it really should be more effective in BTB. I think vehicles in BTB should require way more effort to destroy. Some combination of team work, well placed plasma pistol shots, grenades, and power weapons should all be necessary to take down scorpions, banshees, wraith, and mantises (manti?). 

Do you think a 4 round magazine would be more appropriate for the Rocket Launcher?  

If 2v2 CE is the gold standard of Halo then shouldn’t the current Rocket Launcher’s magazine size match the number of players per team, now that 4v4 is the dominant tournament format?  

• WutFace (+0) 1

29 minutes ago, Boyo said:

@Mow

RT fires a rocket.  Continuing to hold RT after firing activates a laser.  The delay between firing and activating the laser allows the rocket to travel straight forward for a bit before being influenced by the user.  In addition, requiring RT be held down naturally prevents a second rocket from being fired while one is already in flight.  

I don’t see the need to tie laser guidance to scoping is all I’m saying.  

I still feel that the scoping system is more intuitive as it has already been tried successfully in the past, I'm not sure how a player would know to hold down the trigger to activate remote control without prior knowledge, but I suppose you could have it function either way.

The main point to take away though is that I think remote controlled rockets would be a good mechanic to have in the game regardless of the particular mechanic used to activate it, it makes the rocket launcher more than the 1 dimensional power weapon that it has always been and gives it a bit more utility than we've seen in the past, I think it's a shame that the rocket launcher is effectively useless past a certain range which leads it to being an incredibly boring weapon to use. I should also mention that I would remove any kind of vehicle lock-on as the remote control mechanic would replace it and is infinitely more skillful/dynamic, lock-on has always felt like a very cheese mechanic to me and shuts down any interesting encounters between player and vehicles when used, sniping a helicopter out of the sky with an AT4 in BC2 is very satisfying and I think the same dynamic could be achieved in Halo.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Do you think a 4 round magazine would be more appropriate for the Rocket Launcher?  

If 2v2 CE is the gold standard of Halo then shouldn’t the current Rocket Launcher’s magazine size match the number of players per team, now that 4v4 is the dominant tournament format?  

If the Infinite Rocket Launcher is slightly weaker, like the H5 SPNKR (which I hope it is), then a 4 rocket clip would be good for all modes (except doubles). In BTB, I’d prefer the power weapons take a back seat to vehicles in terms of strength. Right now I feel safer and more powerful holding a rocket launcher in H5 BTB, than when I’m in the back of a Warthog with a competent driver. To me this needs to change. 

What are your thoughts on the balance between power weapons and vehicles in BTB?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MaceX42 said:

In BTB, I’d prefer the power weapons take a back seat to vehicles in terms of strength. Right now I feel safer and more powerful holding a rocket launcher in H5 BTB, than when I’m in the back of a Warthog with a competent driver. To me this needs to change. 

What are your thoughts on the balance between power weapons and vehicles in BTB?

Definitely agree with this part, personally I feel that there should a be lower tier rocket launcher that is weaker and depends more on direct hits instead of splash damage, it would also be able to fire more rockets before needing to reload and would have a slightly faster projectile velocity but would have reasonable knockback which would come in handy for rocket jumping, so basically the UT rocket launcher lol. I've always felt that the Bruteshot would be a perfect fit for this style of weapon and it would occupy a lower tier of "power weapon" with a faster spawn cycle whilst the SPNKR would be more of a "super power weapon" or "high tier" power weapon and run on a much slower spawn cycle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Mow said:

Definitely agree with this part, personally I feel that there should a be lower tier rocket launcher that is weaker and depends more on direct hits instead of splash damage, it would also be able to fire more rockets before needing to reload and would have a slightly faster projectile velocity but would have reasonable knockback which would come in handy for rocket jumping, so basically the UT rocket launcher lol. I've always felt that the Bruteshot would be a perfect fit for this style of weapon and it would occupy a lower tier of "power weapon" with a faster spawn cycle whilst the SPNKR would be more of a "super power weapon" or "high tier" power weapon and run on a much slower spawn cycle.

I totally agree with everything but I would just suggest the Hydra instead of the Brute Shot for this role 

1 hour ago, MaceX42 said:

In BTB, I’d prefer the power weapons take a back seat to vehicles in terms of strength. Right now I feel safer and more powerful holding a rocket launcher in H5 BTB, than when I’m in the back of a Warthog with a competent driver. To me this needs to change. 

Vehicles provide unlimited use, they never run out of gas, while weapons are inherently limited use, once ammo is gone it’s useless.  For this reason, I believe power weapons should generally be stronger than vehicles.  If vehicles were more powerful than power weapons, the vehicle occupants would have no need or incentive to ever get out.  I don’t think securing a single item one time should be the be all end all of gameplay.  

34 minutes ago, MaceX42 said:

I totally agree with everything but I would just suggest the Hydra instead of the Brute Shot for this role 

I've considered the Hydra, but ultimately I feel that it is a redundant weapon and doesn't really have a place in the sandbox, and the Bruteshot is already close enough in function to what I'm suggesting, another possibility is the Concussion Rifle but I still think the Bruteshot is the best fit and deserves a more prominent role in the sandbox.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Vehicles provide unlimited use, they never run out of gas, while weapons are inherently limited use, once ammo is gone it’s useless.  For this reason, I believe power weapons should generally be stronger than vehicles.  If vehicles were more powerful than power weapons, the vehicle occupants would have no need or incentive to ever get out.  I don’t think securing a single item one time should be the be all end all of gameplay.  

All good points. I’m all for weapons having anti-vehicle functionality (Hydra, Grenade Launcher, Plasma Pistol, Hydra) but being out right vehicle-destroyers (H5 Rocket Launcher, Spartan Laser, Incineration Cannon, Fuel Rod Gun) isn’t very fun to use or to play against in my opinion. If those weapons are gonna be on BTB, which I would still like them to be, the have to be balanced delicately. This is the main reason I dislike Warzone. 

4 minutes ago, Mow said:

I've considered the Hydra, but ultimately I feel that it is a redundant weapon and doesn't really have a place in the sandbox, and the Bruteshot is already close enough in function to what I'm suggesting, another possibility is the Concussion Rifle but I still think the Bruteshot is the best fit and deserves a more prominent role in the sandbox.

I think the Hydra is way more unique and fun to use than the Brute Shot or Concussion Rifle. The Halo 5 Hydra was quite underpowered but I’d like to see them try it again and think your suggestions would be the perfect way to do it assuming it keeps it’s weird lock-on middles system it has now as well . 

• Upvote (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Boyo said:

If you really want to give it more of a use bring back the H2 vehicle lock on but it doesn’t really need to be when the splaser exists.

• WutFace (+0) 1

15 minutes ago, thdyingbreed said:

If you really want to give it more of a use bring back the H2 vehicle lock on but it doesn’t really need to be when the splaser exists.

Should the Spartan Laser exist?  

Even if rockets have homing, the lasers place is still there. A good flipping banshee player can make the lock-on disappear. But a laser is more difficult to avoid 

Anti Vehicle Weapons 

The Rocket Launcher can fire a laser guided rocket, allowing the user to chase a moving target with an airborne rocket as long as he keeps his reticle on it.   

The Plasma Detonator can charge then burst fire up to four homing stickies.  

The SAW is a remotely controlled vehicle-hunter vehicle, splattering whatever it rolls over or boosts through.  

The Sandman can open a pit beneath a vehicle, swallowing and destroying it.  

The Tractor Beam can reel in an aerial vehicle or pick up a fusion coil and launch it at a ground vehicle.  

The Gravity Bow’s alt fire can be toggled between a gravity vortex and a gravity anchor, spinning and tossing ground vehicles or dragging down an aerial vehicle.  

The Beam Rifle’s secondary fire mode causes explosive lightning bolts to strike down from the sky.  

The Focus Rifle’s secondary fire mode charges then fires a laser blast that destroys whatever it touches, like the Splaser but doing so causes the weapon to overheat and explode shortly after, killing the user if the weapon isn’t dropped in a timely fashion. 

On 6/20/2020 at 5:20 PM, Boyo said:

I agree that one vehicle should not last you all game. This is why I prefer utility weapons doing damage to vehicles like Reach/H4/H5. If you put in the time and ammo, you will eventually get rid of the vehicle. The vehicle's health should be the timer on its usefulness. The amount of shots it takes to progress into the next damage state should be one of the most finely tuned and thoroughly tested aspects of any vehicle.

That said, I'm not opposed to an ammo system either. But I think if you're gonna limit a vehicle's ammo, you need to allow for a way to refill it. Otherwise you would have people getting out of perfectly good vehicles and blowing them up just to put them on respawn.

20 hours ago, Boyo said:

Should the Spartan Laser exist?  

Yes, but the game should just consider it a Tier 4 weapon (a superweapon). Spawn it with one shot. Let it spawn a full minute slower than whatever other main power weapon is on the map. This 5 shots every 3 minutes bullshit is why the gun is whack. But if you do that, make it comically powerful. Fatten up the beam a bit, and let it shoot for like 2-3 seconds straight. Give it a badass sound effect after you complete the charge, but before it starts firing, where the whole map can hear that you're about to fuck shit up. It should be the most badass, sought-after, satisfying weapon to use in the game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1