CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I feel it be hard as hell to evolve halo without adding or changing something. H3 added equipment which didn’t break the games formula, but they were very unbalanced. Halo reach saw the drastic change with AA and bloom. H4 for the first time in halos history equal starts was out of the equation, we had custom load outs, and score streaks. H5 we have spartan abilities which are on all the time, increased map size etc.

thruster pack could easily work in classic halo as shown in the h5 mythic playlist. This ability adds much room for improvement still. 

8 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I feel it be hard as hell to evolve halo without adding or changing something. H3 added equipment which didn’t break the games formula, but they were very unbalanced. Halo reach saw the drastic change with AA and bloom. H4 for the first time in halos history equal starts was out of the equation, we had custom load outs, and score streaks. H5 we have spartan abilities which are on all the time, increased map size etc.

thruster pack could easily work in classic halo as shown in the h5 mythic playlist. This ability adds much room for improvement still. 

If you haven’t watched Fayvn’s videos on this subject yet, I recommend them. Actually, just search him on YouTube and watch everything since Oct 2015. He articulates my feelings on the matter pretty well. It’s nothing you need to *watch*. Just throw em on while you run errands or do chores. They’re good.

Edit: You’ll need your eyeballs for the clamber one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chaosTheory said:

Oh hey there Gents.I am in fact still alive!

People still have hope for the Halo franchise after Halo 5!?! You're all stronger than me.

Gandhi told me he was gonna bring me back for part 2 on that, he never did. I used to talk to GHO57 and Bravo with some regularity but they never had enough pull to make anything meaningful happen long term i dont think. I could be wrong. I dont think any of this stuff is gonna change.

I appreciate the love tho. I really did and still do care about this stuff.

I can post parts of that 60 page tome i wrote about the Reach beta but i dont want to put the whole thing out there cause theres a lot of grandstanding and ego in there that isnt really what i would write today.

I've missed your posts around here. Are you still playing or following Halo at all; or have you basically moved on?

4 hours ago, Silos said:

I've missed your posts around here. Are you still playing or following Halo at all; or have you basically moved on?

I've been wasting away playing stupid Destiny 2 and keeping busy with other aspects of life. I'm old.

i might be interested in this next Halo I just don't know yet.

• Upvote (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Hard Way said:

If you haven’t watched Fayvn’s videos on this subject yet, I recommend them. Actually, just search him on YouTube and watch everything since Oct 2015. He articulates my feelings on the matter pretty well. It’s nothing you need to *watch*. Just throw em on while you run errands or do chores. They’re good.

Edit: You’ll need your eyeballs for the clamber one.

I’ve watched them he’s made good points, but some stuff he says is unrealistic or just wrong without proper research. I’d say most stuff he says would be good though. I’m not particularly fond of clamber but I’m not against it either. I don’t think clamber has negatively impacted halo as much as sprint has. One thing I did like about h5 was although clamber is a thing there were still many jumps that had to be done by crouch jumping or jumps which you obviously could clamber but if you decided to crouch jump instead it was a faster transition than an animation. 

4 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I’ve watched them he’s made good points, but some stuff he says is unrealistic or just wrong without proper research.

Such as?  

The reason I dig up that old cT interview in the first place was because I recently came across this Zyos interview:

It blew my mind that Zyos is streaming & getting back into the Halo scene, I guess I've been out of the loop.

At 58:35 Zyos starts talking about his Halo Infinite wishlist, and specifically calls out Halo 3 and its shortcomings as a competitive game.

This stood out to me because it's very rare to hear this type of critique from an old pro player. I've never heard a pro player say one negative thing about halo 3 - the random br spread, the 'simultaneous-kill' melee system, etc...

I went on to check out this Pistola/Sayain interview afterward:

What a huge difference between Zyos' and Pistola's interviews. At 12:16, Pistola says he hopes Halo Infinite is 'Halo 2 with advanced movement.'

At 20:32, he elaborates on it and says he thinks halo players are 'jaded' and unwilling/resistant to any change.

I've had several gripes with pro players in the past. Whether it was Ryanoob arguing that H4 was better than H1, H2, and H3 on The Halo Council, Heinz saying on stream that he didnt care if H5 had sprint (this was before H5 was released), all the pros saying H4 "felt like Halo," literally and endless list. Didnt Ogre 2 once argue that "no bloom = no skill" in Halo Reach? Ghostayame had full control over the H4 competitive playlist/AGL settings, and all we pretty much had was H3 with sprint.

@chaosTheory made the point in the Melee Lunge thread that the competitive community played a large role in him exiting the halo community, and it's hard not to share that mindset when we cant even agree that sprint shouldnt be in the game.

Can you imagine back in 2012 that we couldnt come to a consensus on fucking sprint in 2020 (never mind kill times, power weapon spawn times, maps, etc...). Pro players actually think that sprint is one of those things that the community dislikes just because they're resistant to change.

It sucks that we're in a place where 343 thinks "The competitive community should love Sprintfinite based on these comments from pro players"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

16 hours ago, chaosTheory said:

I used to talk to GHO57 and Bravo with some regularity ...

You've mentioned this in the past and I would love to know more about these talks. What did you guys discuss? 

38 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

[pistola] thinks halo players are 'jaded' and unwilling/resistant to any change.

Is he wrong?  

22 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Is he wrong?  

I cant speak for everyone, but I'd have no issues with halo's gameplay changing to allow for offensive 'abilities.' 

Since 343 loves lifting features from other games, I think an acceptable addition to Halo's gameplay would be a Gears-like fast reload, where there's a risk/reward since your gun jams if you screw it up, but you get a quick reload + stronger bullets if you get it right. 

I think adding an 'overdrive' option to the utility weapon where it functions as a doubleshot from Halo 2 would be an acceptable addition. Add a cool-down preventing you to shoot your gun after using it to give a risk/reward factor. 

I'd have to think about the best way to incorporate it, but a double melee similar to CE where you need use a grenade & drop it on yourself if you screw up would be a great offensive ability with a risk/reward factor. 

In a similar vein, having typically useless weapons that can give you a niche buff (think quick camo with the CE AR) could be an interesting offensive option with a risk/factor since one of your two weapon slots would be used up by a crappy weapon. 

Maybe varying melee speeds based on gun weight?

I can go on, but I think players would be fine with halo's gameplay to evolving to allow for offensive options/abilities with a risk/reward factor. Advanced movement, hard light shields, bubble shields, shield regens, etc... offer none of that. 

Please, no more abilities purely designed to keep players alive longer. The game's population numbers with each new release should be a telling sign.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

Such as?  

I’ll have to go back and watch the few videos I’ve watched. His community video is my most recent one and he made excellent points, but he’s not making a good argument for whT micros are bad. It’s simply a saying “I hate micros” rather than acknowledging why they’re needed, and the biggest answer is free dlc. I can’t tell you how many times when I was younger playing h3 customs and we decided to use sandbox and someone didn’t have the map pack. It was so annoying. Some people didn’t even have foundry although it became a free dlc option the fact it wasn’t a forced download shows something. We’d either change the map or we kicked that individual, or individuals. Also I’ve noticed the games that do have micros get updates all the time, and fast. Games these days can’t always rely on video game sales alone, since that’s not enough. What if the games population becomes ass?  You making ways for people to get something cool looking brings in the money, so then we’re getting lots of updates, patches, and dlc/expansions in a time frame that isn’t frustrating. The unfortunate thing in halo 5s case was EVERYTHING was tied tI rng mechanics with pay to win micros(if you played warzone which a lot did) . If people could purchase a skin directly people wouldn’t have any issues tbh. In a 60$ game micros do need to be light. In halos case they should be skins only. Heck’s 343 should do what reach did and have armor effects as a micro. Those were one of the coolest things about reach and need to return.

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Aphex Twin said:

You've mentioned this in the past and I would love to know more about these talks. What did you guys discuss? 

Nothing of any real consequence. It started when Ghost posted some big long post on the MLG forums and I kinda freaked out on him in a long reply. He hit me up and we talked a couple times about halo and I think i still have his number in my phone but it just never materialized into anything significant at all. Bravo I talked to about my issues with gametypes in H4 more than anything else cause that was his focus at the time as community manager.

• Upvote (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Just build, add and tweak what's already there. There's no need for Titanfall-esque movement to be weirdly shoved into Halo. 

The sandbox, movement physics, powerups, community support, advanced settings support, and maps alone can have so much tweaked within them, that Halo would barely need anything else. 

20 hours ago, chaosTheory said:

Oh hey there Gents.I am in fact still alive!

People still have hope for the Halo franchise after Halo 5!?! You're all stronger than me.

Gandhi told me he was gonna bring me back for part 2 on that, he never did. I used to talk to GHO57 and Bravo with some regularity but they never had enough pull to make anything meaningful happen long term i dont think. I could be wrong. I dont think any of this stuff is gonna change.

I appreciate the love tho. I really did and still do care about this stuff.

I can post parts of that 60 page tome i wrote about the Reach beta but i dont want to put the whole thing out there cause theres a lot of grandstanding and ego in there that isnt really what i would write today.

How ya been, man?

2 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Just build, add and tweak what's already there. There's no need for Titanfall-esque movement to be weirdly shoved into Halo. 

The sandbox, movement physics, powerups, community support, advanced settings support, and maps alone can have so much tweaked within them, that Halo would barely need anything else. 

I think all that needs to go is sprint and halo wouldn’t suck. Notice how doom eternal added a hook, dash(which is basically thruster pack) and yet it works. They didn’t add something as unnecessary as sprint. 

2 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

How ya been, man?

Not too bad, just living man. Working from home, playing bad FPS games on a seven year old xbox.

32 minutes ago, chaosTheory said:

Not too bad, just living man. Working from home, playing bad FPS games on a seven year old xbox.

Hey same, I'm playing a bad collection of bad FPS games (minus one) on PC while the world falls apart.

Halo can change and still be great but the only changes they've made over the years is straight towards CoD, and not it's own thing.

I think the biggest thing to help Halo would be 4v4 ranked at the forefront with a competitive ladder that makes people actually want to rank up and play to win, followed by no sprint, projectile weapons, and a TON of content. Maps, weapon skins, armor pieces, etc. Don't even pretend that an FPS game can succeed nowadays without a constant content drop.

8 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I’ll have to go back and watch the few videos I’ve watched. His community video is my most recent one and he made excellent points, but he’s not making a good argument for whT micros are bad. It’s simply a saying “I hate micros” rather than acknowledging why they’re needed, and the biggest answer is free dlc. 

3 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

@MultiLockOn let me guess corporate greed huh? 

For the record, I don't downvote you because I disagree with you, I do it when you say something dumb. In this case you said he didn't explain why mtx are bad, which is basically what he talks about for half the video lol. It's like you didn't even watch it.

He's actually a good friend of mine and he sent me the script for that like a week before he made the video and we talked about that specific point for several days. 

You're also conflating the existence of mtx with free DLC. Those two things are not correlation or causation. Having mtx doesn't mean you're DLC becomes free and you're talking about it as if you HAVE to choose one or another.  So yeah corporate greed is probably an accurate way of putting it. 

Destiny 2 has mtx up the whazoo AND 40$ DLC's, this is after they split from Activision mind you. 

22 minutes ago, xSociety said:

Halo can change and still be great but the only changes they've made over the years is straight towards CoD, and not it's own thing.

If they are going to continue borrowing from military shooters, canted iron sights on a scoped weapon were actually a lot of fun to use.  

8 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

I cant speak for everyone, but I'd have no issues with halo's gameplay changing to allow for offensive 'abilities.' 

Since 343 loves lifting features from other games, I think an acceptable addition to Halo's gameplay would be a Gears-like fast reload, where there's a risk/reward since your gun jams if you screw it up, but you get a quick reload + stronger bullets if you get it right. 

I think adding an 'overdrive' option to the utility weapon where it functions as a doubleshot from Halo 2 would be an acceptable addition. Add a cool-down preventing you to shoot your gun after using it to give a risk/reward factor. 

I'd have to think about the best way to incorporate it, but a double melee similar to CE where you need use a grenade & drop it on yourself if you screw up would be a great offensive ability with a risk/reward factor. 

In a similar vein, having typically useless weapons that can give you a niche buff (think quick camo with the CE AR) could be an interesting offensive option with a risk/factor since one of your two weapon slots would be used up by a crappy weapon. 

Maybe varying melee speeds based on gun weight?

I can go on, but I think players would be fine with halo's gameplay to evolving to allow for offensive options/abilities with a risk/reward factor. Advanced movement, hard light shields, bubble shields, shield regens, etc... offer none of that. 

Please, no more abilities purely designed to keep players alive longer. The game's population numbers with each new release should be a telling sign.  

I’ve often thought of the active reload feature. Depending on the utility’s difficulty of use and TTK it could be an awesome feature. For instance if the infinite utility was basically the CE magnum with a 4sk and .9 second kill time. The active reload would cause the first bullet to be “overcharged” and do double making it a 3sk with a .6 second kill time. 

I find it funny that features from the first game are so old they would now be new features. When’s the last time a halo had a feature like quick camo or backpack realoading? H5 tried to bring back nade launching but was half-assed. I really don’t think it would be that hard for them to make infinite feel new and fresh without having to ruin the core of what makes halo halo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, LI Mr X IL said:

I’ve often thought of the active reload feature. Depending on the utility’s difficulty of use and TTK it could be an awesome feature. For instance if the infinite utility was basically the CE magnum with a 4sk and .9 second kill time. The active reload would cause the first bullet to be “overcharged” and do double making it a 3sk with a .6 second kill time. 

A double shot needed to be pulled off in the heat of the moment, mid gunfight.  What you’re suggesting allows players to get those same benefits without the risk.  They could perform an active reload alone in a corner, with no pressure.  

Secondly, the same gun dealing two different damages is confusing.  We could give the overcharged bullet a colored contrail or something to signify its modified damage value but that seems like a lot of complexity for what benefit?  How is that system better than a double shot capable battle rifle?

If there's one thing that's less likely than the removal of sprint, it's a strong < 1s kill-time utility weapon. I don't think they will ever create a weapon that takes on a role/function anywhere near the CE pistol.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

For the record, I don't downvote you because I disagree with you, I do it when you say something dumb. In this case you said he didn't explain why mtx are bad, which is basically what he talks about for half the video lol. It's like you didn't even watch it.

He's actually a good friend of mine and he sent me the script for that like a week before he made the video and we talked about that specific point for several days. 

You're also conflating the existence of mtx with free DLC. Those two things are not correlation or causation. Having mtx doesn't mean you're DLC becomes free and you're talking about it as if you HAVE to choose one or another.  So yeah corporate greed is probably an accurate way of putting it. 

Destiny 2 has mtx up the whazoo AND 40$ DLC's, this is after they split from Activision mind you. 

And yet their mtx is low on purchase sales compared to other games I would bet