CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Anyone who unironically thinks the Bungie games had good writing need to play Mass Effect or KOTOR. Get some standards, people.

@MultiLockOn Since we’re on this topic, I’d consider the Silmarillion to be Tolkien’s true masterpiece. I’m much more a fan of darker, more serious and tragic stories. Morgoth is best villain, Feanor is a cunt, and Beren is peak manliness.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I mean, anything could be improved upon but I was totally fine with what we got. Halo to me was always a plot driven story that lacked some of the complexities that other games have, even halo 2. I don't think it's a bad thing but I try not to read too much into the narratives of halo games. At least, not in the same way I would for say, red dead redemption.

I'm perfectly okay with the Flood just effectively being zombies, but that leaves the Gravemind being weirdly eloquent and sage-like to no particular end. They could've left his mental acuity alone - keep the intelligent read of things - but had him act less communicative and more feral.

"rEsIgNaTiOn Is My ViRtUe; LiKe WaTeR i EbB" bitch suck my shotgun

• Simms (+1) 1

On 5/22/2020 at 7:24 PM, Cursed Lemon said:

I'm perfectly okay with the Flood just effectively being zombies, but that leaves the Gravemind being weirdly eloquent and sage-like to no particular end. They could've left his mental acuity alone - keep the intelligent read of things - but had him act less communicative and more feral.

See, I thought the contradiction was inherently interesting. It gives the flood more motivation than typical zombies. That they can amass collective intelligence, which blurs the line between being slave to their impulse to feed and legitimate choice to act on them (rather than being overt either way). That also makes him a living embodiment of the stakes. If the flood wins, that Venus flytrap, worm, crocodile thing becomes every living being. It ain't Shakespeare but it's still good.

Inb4 343 makes the flood one big test/revenge plot by the precursors (also shoutout to Jak and daxter with that one).

• Upvote (+1) 1

The flood are ancient precursors who after being destroyed by the four runners became the flood. The flood decided to literally kill, torture, etc etc every single one of its creation to ensure rebellion never ever happens again. That’s the difference between the flood and zombies, and it’s honestly an amazing concept. The four runners destroyed the precursors only because they didn’t give them the mantle of responsibility, humans were given that. Zombies eat and infect(unintentionally I’ll add) any humans(depending on the movie) or anything living they can find(again depending on the series/movie since in some zombie scenarios zombies attack only humans and in other cases attack humans and animals) . Now the flood does this as well but only to increase its strength, and it mostly seeks intelligent life forms. The more biomass the more intelligent the flood becomes. It’s even smart enough to erase the memories of information that’s unnecessary, example memories of your love ones. 

In other news, Treyarch continues to be outdone by their own community...

First time I've been genuinely excited for something in a while, let alone it being associated with CoD.

• Fire (+1) 1

Last treyarch game I liked was blops 1 fight me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

The intelligence of the Flood is what makes them so interesting, they aren't just single minded "kill, infect, kill". Remember in Halo 3 when they buddied up with Chief and the Arbiter for the sole purpose of stopping the firing of the rings, and then as soon as that was done went right back to killing everything? If they were just normal, feral zombies, they would never have done this and instead everyone would've died when the rings activated. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

When Halo 2 began, we got a look inside the Covenant.  After we learned what was really going on, we were like, hey this arbiter guy isn’t so bad.  The Flood’s story could have been told much to the same effect.  

The Flood only gain intelligence when they approach a critical biomass.  So, a Gravemind is essentially a baby that was born and as it grows up, it realizes that the only reason it exists is because an army of zombies has been out there killing in its name.  Could cause some personal trauma, ya know.  

you-pass-butter.gif

So, just like the Covenant seemed like the bad guys before we met Arby, the Flood seemed bad too.  But we are later shown that the Gravemind’s actions are good for some reason, he sees a bigger picture, some outside threat, idk endings are hard but you get the idea.  

Would be cool if the Gravemind reached a level of insight after increasing in biomass & intelligence to tell of a threat far bigger than itself, and it wholeheartedly believes that it is the only way to save the universe. Similar to Victor von Doom seeing that he is the only good future for humanity.

Cosmic space opera. Y'know, the thing we were promised.

7 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

The intelligence of the Flood is what makes them so interesting, they aren't just single minded "kill, infect, kill". Remember in Halo 3 when they buddied up with Chief and the Arbiter for the sole purpose of stopping the firing of the rings, and then as soon as that was done went right back to killing everything? If they were just normal, feral zombies, they would never have done this and instead everyone would've died when the rings activated.

It could have been more interesting but it wasn't, and what you described is exactly the thing I have a problem with. It starts an interesting twist and then completely ditches it with "haha SOIKE!!!!!!" to revert the Flood back to precisely what you said: normal, feral zombies. I think we can all agree that you-triggered-my-trap-card is not the most compelling thing someone can pull out of their plot device grab bag, especially when you dangle Mr. Galaxy Brain Gravemind in front of us.

What could've been more interesting would be to run the Didact and Flood stories simultaneously, forcing the Didact to reconcile that humanity might be worthy of inheriting the Mantle after all when they are the only ones that can defeat the Flood, and possibly gracing us with the Gravemind and the Didact engaging in a philosophical rap battle.

8 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Would be cool if the Gravemind reached a level of insight after increasing in biomass & intelligence to tell of a threat far bigger than itself, and it wholeheartedly believes that it is the only way to save the universe. Similar to Victor von Doom seeing that he is the only good future for humanity.

Cosmic space opera. Y'know, the thing we were promised.

But he technically did. He convinced mendicant bias an A.I. by the four runners built specifically to destroy the flood to betray his masters since they were stopping the next stage of evolution. 
he also says in h3 “do I give life or do I take it”. 
@boyo you really never read any halo lore huh? The floods first stage is collecting enough biomass to make a grave mind. All floods minds are connected. Their goal is to infect every being in the universe 

Interesting thought:

Even if the Flood defeated the armies of the Milky Way, they would never allow sentient life to go extinct, much less wipe them out themselves. If their source of food totally perished, they would starve out, which is exactly what the rings were meant to do. I think the most likely end-game of the Flood is to keep sentient life alive, but in some sort of powerless captive state where a portion would be periodically culled by the Flood for food. The Flood has already been shown to be capable of this kind of strategy when they intentionally did not infect humans during the Forerunner-Human war to make the Humans believe they had found a cure for the Flood.

Food for thought.

7 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

Interesting thought:

Even if the Flood defeated the armies of the Milky Way, they would never allow sentient life to go extinct, much less wipe them out themselves. If their source of food totally perished, they would starve out, which is exactly what the rings were meant to do. I think the most likely end-game of the Flood is to keep sentient life alive, but in some sort of powerless captive state where a portion would be periodically culled by the Flood for food. The Flood has already been shown to be capable of this kind of strategy when they intentionally did not infect humans during the Forerunner-Human war to make the Humans believe they had found a cure for the Flood.

Food for thought.

I think in one of hyperxterias videos he explains how in one comic that’s exactly what happens. And yes that’s the goal of the flood and it’s all the four runners fault for destroying the precursors. They wanted to ensure all sentient life(which they created) will never rebel against them again. 

10 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

Food for thought.

Yeah that’s how a Gravemind works.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 2

Didn't gravemind send chief on an important mission and at the same time bombard him with flood guys in halo 2? Never understood that.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Boyo said:

When Halo 2 began, we got a look inside the Covenant.  After we learned what was really going on, we were like, hey this arbiter guy isn’t so bad.  The Flood’s story could have been told much to the same effect.  

The Flood only gain intelligence when they approach a critical biomass.  So, a Gravemind is essentially a baby that was born and as it grows up, it realizes that the only reason it exists is because an army of zombies has been out there killing in its name.  Could cause some personal trauma, ya know.  

you-pass-butter.gif

So, just like the Covenant seemed like the bad guys before we met Arby, the Flood seemed bad too.  But we are later shown that the Gravemind’s actions are good for some reason, he sees a bigger picture, some outside threat, idk endings are hard but you get the idea.  

It was just neat to see the events of Halo 1 told from the "enemy's" perspective. At the time, as much as I didn't like playing as the Arbiter, I appreciate the overly-ambitious story Bungie tried to do back in the day. I wish we got that "final act" rather than the cliffhanger.

8 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Didn't gravemind send chief on an important mission and at the same time bombard him with flood guys in halo 2? Never understood that.

In h2s case the grave mind tricked chief and cortana. He specifically wanted him to be a distraction on high charity(I’m assuming he didn’t know of the civil war) and if he killed chief along the way even better, as he must of consumed a human whom given him the knowledge of chief. One fact is all floods are linked together telepathically. Yes the humans that got infected in the first game that intelligence it gained was transferred over. If you’ve watched Naruto shippuden it’s like pain/Nagato how all their eyes were linked together. 

22 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Would be cool if the Gravemind reached a level of insight after increasing in biomass & intelligence to tell of a threat far bigger than itself

Gravemind, can entropy ever be reversed?  

• Thonking (+0) 1

I still think expanding the forerunners role in the series was a mistake. In kind of a similar way in which bethesda placed a far bigger emphasis on "the old world" in their fallout games. Like, that time is done. The forerunners had their chance and are gone now. Don't ruin their mystique by bringing them back. 

If halo 4 should've gone anywhere, it should followed the elites in their war against the brutes. That's the kind of shit I wanted to see. 

• Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I still think expanding the forerunners role in the series was a mistake. In kind of a similar way in which bethesda placed a far bigger emphasis on "the old world" in their fallout games. Like, that time is done. The forerunners had their chance and are gone now. Don't ruin their mystique by bringing them back. 

If halo 4 should've gone anywhere, it should followed the elites in their war against the brutes. That's the kind of shit I wanted to see. 

Support this. Still, forerunner-flood war game would have been very cool. 

An ODST style single player Halo game where you play as various Arbiters would be cool.  

What remade maps would you like to see in infinite. It’s a common trend for any game series to always have a few remakes for nostalgia. Now I’d want sanctuary again(lol I know it’s been remade a thousand times but that’s because it’s so good) or else I’d like guardian as this maps never once been remade, and forge can never pull it off 1:1