Jump to content
CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I guess what I mean by that is take guardian h3 for example all skill jumps are the same. Obviously clamber isn’t needed at all to make these, BUT would it be bad if clamber was an option? It would open up other ways of making certain jumps I can ensure you. Lol would definitely help my ass not fall off the map playing lockout. I’m just saying. In h5s case most jumps were forced, but they don’t need to do that. And I also bet clamber wouldn’t ruin a classic halo like sprint has. 

Maps are intentionally designed to move players in certain ways. Clamber ruins old maps and makes scaling for new ones an extreme annoyance. You don't need the game to hold your hand for poor decisions (AKA you deserved to fall off Lockout all those times). Accidental suicides are just one example as it also severely devalues all types of trick and crouch jumps. It may not initially seem that big of a deal, but all things considered Clamber is basically just vertical Sprint.

  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

Maps are intentionally designed to move players in certain ways. Clamber ruins old maps and makes scaling for new ones an extreme annoyance. You don't need the game to hold your hand for poor decisions (AKA you deserved to fall off Lockout all those times). Accidental suicides are just one example as it also severely devalues all types of trick and crouch jumps. It may not initially seem that big of a deal, but all things considered Clamber is basically just vertical Sprint.

I think that last one is a bit of a stretch if you ask me. Clamber I don’t believe for a second has hurt halo even close that sprint has 

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I think that last one is a bit of a stretch if you ask me. Clamber I don’t believe for a second has hurt halo even close that sprint has 

I’m gonna print out this comment and wipe my ass with it.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I think that last one is a bit of a stretch if you ask me. Clamber I don’t believe for a second has hurt halo even close that sprint has 

Oh it's a stretch all right, a completely unnecessary one I might add.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

Oh it's a stretch all right, a completely unnecessary one I might add.

giphy.gif

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Simms (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

 Lol would definitely help my ass not fall off the map playing lockout. 

This is exactly why I don't want clamber. Missing your jumps should matter.

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I know a lot of people here don't give two shits about the campaign, but those "leaks" talking about a ton of side missions in large scale areas kind of has me worried. I feel like this should either be leaning to the linear with more open paths like CE or a full on Halo RPG. I just get flashbacks to Gear of War 5 last year. I really didn't like the side shit. It felt tacked on. Yes, I know with the Halo side stuff I don't have to complete it, but I'm a fucking Halo fanboy and will anyway if they're included, so fuck me lol. 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

Not a fan of clamber, but I'd take clamber over sprint in a heartbeat.

Two straight leaks saying no sprint though....

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475145ddf2131eb84073

It still feels like settling to me, but it would be another step in the right direction. Getting rid of sprint would be HUGE.

But man, I'd really like for jumping to actually matter.

Share this post


Link to post

Don’t sprint and clamber kinda go together though?  Sprint lets players traverse horizontal spaces faster.  Clamber lets players traverse vertical spaces faster.  Does it make sense to remove one and not the other?  

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Lol would definitely help my ass not fall off the map playing lockout. 

So not only do you fall off Lockout (which nobody does), but you do it frequently enough to want clamber in Halo 2? Do you not have thumbs?

  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I really enjoyed Gears 5's campaign...

Really? It’s the first Gears I had no interest in replaying. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

So not only do you fall off Lockout (which nobody does), but you do it frequently enough to want clamber in Halo 2? Do you not have thumbs?

I think you’re taking my comment there out of proportion. 

Lol I’ve seen even the best players fall off the map 

8 hours ago, Boyo said:

Don’t sprint and clamber kinda go together though?  Sprint lets players traverse horizontal spaces faster.  Clamber lets players traverse vertical spaces faster.  Does it make sense to remove one and not the other?  

I think you’re missing the reasons most hate sprint. Sprint makes maps bigger(clamber doesn’t although some jumps are made bigger but tbh don’t need to be to be balanced/work) sprint offers get out of jail free cards, clamber doesn’t. 

  • Downvote (-1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

I think you’re taking my comment there out of proportion. 

Lol I’ve seen even the best players fall off the map 

I think you’re missing the reasons most hate sprint. Sprint makes maps bigger(clamber doesn’t although some jumps are made bigger but tbh don’t need to be to be balanced/work) sprint offers get out of jail free cards, clamber doesn’t. 

Clamber is probably more of a get-out-of-jail-free card than sprint: If you miss your jump, you can just hold clamber to grab the ledge. To negate the issues with clamber, there'd need to be some way to make certain ledges unclamberable. Just "making jumps bigger" isn't enough.

You're right, though, in that I think the whole "clamber stretches maps vertically" complaint is a bit overblown––we just didn't see that too much in H5. The only map I can think of that maybe suffered from vertical stretching was Coliseum, but it "suffered" more from an aesthetic standpoint because it just looks kinda ridiculous and haphazardly put together. It's also hard to separate what Coliseum looks like now from what it could look like without sprint. If the map was more condensed, my guess is its verticality would look less ridiculous.

The bigger issue with clamber in my opinion is that it turns maps into jungle gyms. But jungle gyms are definitely preferable to the aircraft carriers we get with sprint.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/15/2020 at 6:51 PM, Hard Way said:

Vote to forfeit is a must, but also, I have a gameplay mechanic that I think could work for this problem.

Imagine a forge piece that you could place on any map. It's like a terminal, like capturing a base in H4 dominion. In slayer games, it's placed in the most vulnerable part of the map (usually bottom mid). When a player interacts with it, he fills a meter that takes 5 seconds, and a waypoint is placed on the item the instant it's in use. You could even have it trigger a sound effect too, so literally everyone knows when it's getting used. If he fills the meter, his team gets a point.

This would completely solve the hide-and-seek problem in lopsided slayer games, and it would punish camping and reward map control in normal games. It's not OP bc you're so vulnerable when you go to use it. And since it's a forge piece, you could just delete it if you want. Just imagine netting 25 kills in a little over 2 minutes while that last guy that refuses to quit hides somewhere.

 

I've had games on Dammy or HeH in CE where it was 2v1 and as soon as the 1 gets a decent lead they'll just hide their way to victory. Not that it's a dumb decision on their part but having some other type of way to score would be cool

Edit: I don't want clamber, but you could easily build maps without taking clamber into effect and just have it as a "I fucked up" mechanic. Can't really have that with sprint, otherwise why even have it in game? If maps start being built around having clamber that would really suck. But sprint is still 10x worse than clamber.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I really enjoyed Gears 5's campaign...

Me too. Great environments and expansion of the series lore. The multiplayer usually keeps my playing Gears, but I've been turned off by the constant rebalancing of core mechanics in 5.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was talking to my brother about what went wrong with Halo 5 for most casuals and the reasons why they dropped it. I said that the addition of Spartan Charge and ground pound was a big mistake and the automatic weapons were to powerful. Now I believe if Halo Infinite was Identical to Halo 5 gameplay wise minus SC, GP and OP automatic weapons, the game would be "good" at release.Of course the maps and ranking system are also really important factors f the success of Infinite. I don't think sprint will not be in Infinite and IMO 343 did a good job with sprint in Halo 5. 

It's been awhile since I've posted here on these forums so someone please let me know if this idea was brought up. What if during a game, get access a certain perks as you reach a certain spree of kills. Once you die, you reset to zero perks active. Now, I know how we all feel about Spartan Abilities, but what if these perks were so subtle, it wouldn't seem like your player has an unfair advantage. Perk examples that I would put in the game.

1. 3 kill Spree - Grenade hitmarkers

2. 5 kill spree - 5%-10% movement speed when holding an objective.

3. 7 kill spree - Extended magazine for precision weapons in hand.

These are just a few ideas that come to mind that I think would add little more meta to the gameplay. Players will now start to play around accessing perks that will give them a slight edge on their opponents and the focus is now heightened to take out players on sprees. 

I know its a little to late for throwing ideas at developer for Infinite. I just wanted to know the thoughts on this idea from you all.

 

  • WutFace (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, SciKho said:

What if during a game, get access a certain perks as you reach a certain spree of kills. Once you die, you reset to zero perks active. Now, I know how we all feel about Spartan Abilities, but what if these perks were so subtle, it wouldn't seem like your player has an unfair advantage. Perk examples that I would put in the game.

1. 3 kill Spree - Grenade hitmarkers

2. 5 kill spree - 5%-10% movement speed when holding an objective.

 3. 7 kill spree - Extended magazine for precision weapons in hand.

Reach had a gametype called Power Slayer that functioned similarly; modified base traits based on consecutive kill count.  

12 minutes ago, SciKho said:

Players will now start to play around accessing perks that will give them a slight edge on their opponents and the focus is now heightened to take out players on sprees. 

How can players tell who is on a spree?  Does a player’s appearance change based on what perks he has?  

15 minutes ago, SciKho said:

Now I believe if Halo Infinite was Identical to Halo 5 gameplay wise minus SC, GP and OP automatic weapons, the game would be "good" at release.

...

16 minutes ago, SciKho said:

Of course the maps and ranking system are also really important factors f the success of Infinite. I don't think sprint will not be in Infinite and IMO 343 did a good job with sprint in Halo 5. 

Sprint and good, 4v4, arena maps are fundamentally incompatible.  Do you want good 4v4 maps or do you want sprint?  

 

If you don’t mind, could you elaborate on why you think sprint was good in Halo 5?  To me, it seems at odds with almost every other aspect of classic halo.  

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Reach had a gametype called Power Slayer that functioned similarly; modified base traits based on consecutive kill count.  

I didn't know "Power Slayer" was a thing. I checked out some gameplay of it and from what I can tell, you only get a speed boost(maybe a damage boost aswell) for about 10 seconds after getting 1 kill, but this doesn't really compare to the idea that I mentioned. 

How can players tell who is on a spree?  Does a player’s appearance change based on what perks he has?

It would be up to the player to know if someone is going on a spree. Of course there will still be text queues in game telling you if someone is on a killing spree.

Sprint and good, 4v4, arena maps are fundamentally incompatible.  Do you want good 4v4 maps or do you want sprint?  

Plaza, Coliseum, and Truth were all good maps for "sprint". Your question here is bait.

If you don’t mind, could you elaborate on why you think sprint was good in Halo 5?  To me, it seems at odds with almost every other aspect of classic halo.

I prefer Classic Halo, but I'm also not naive enough to believe that Halo Infinite will be the return of Classic Halo. HR, H4 and H5 sprint, which one do you think was the more balanced of the 3? I say H5 since you couldn't regenerate your shield while sprinting and your gun is ready fire faster when coming out of sprint than previous sprint Halos. Not saying sprint was perfect in H5 because sprint in itself is a flawed mechanic, but it was good enough to not break the gameplay of H5.

 

Share this post


Link to post

How many times per game do you think a player will kill seven enemies without dying?  Seeing how infrequent this event is, do you think an extended magnum magazine is an appropriate reward for such a feat?  

Do you think that tying sprint usage to shield recharge creates humpty dumpty gameplay where players alternate between sprinting away from an enemy then hiding somewhere so their shields can recharge?  

Why is sprint in itself a flawed mechanic?  What were the defining features of H5 gameplay that sprint was good enough not to break?  

@SciKho

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Boyo said:

How many times per game do you think a player will kill seven enemies without dying?  Seeing how infrequent this event is, do you think an extended magnum magazine is an appropriate reward for such a feat?  

Extended Mag doesn't necessarily need to be at a 7 kill spree. I was just going in order of usefulness of the perks. Grenade Hitmarkers can be placed here, but all of this would have to be tested.

Do you think that tying sprint usage to shield recharge creates humpty dumpty gameplay where players alternate between sprinting away from an enemy then hiding somewhere so their shields can recharge?  

A lot of those cases didn't happen in H5 due to being able to knock people out of sprint when they are shot. Sprinting in H5 was risk/reward in most cases at a high level. You had to know when to use it.

Why is sprint in itself a flawed mechanic?  What were the defining features of H5 gameplay that sprint was good enough not to break? 

You can't shoot while you are sprinting. I think I already mentioned why sprint in H5 was passable IMO.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

You can’t shoot while you’re driving a Warhog either.  Is that a flawed mechanic too?  

@SciKho

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Boyo said:

You can’t shoot while you’re driving a Warhog either.  Is that a flawed mechanic too?  

@SciKho

Now you are just going off the rails lol.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.