CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Is the blam engine limited to 60fps or what? I’ve heard of game engines being tied certain fps so idk? 

I really do wish 343 had better releases though like I want Halo to be in a better place right now. It's unfortunate bc everyone just wants a good Halo to play without the frustration of bugs or unnecessary additions of new mechanics that poorly attempt to "modernize" Halo.

Since 343 has been determined to "modernize" Halo for a while now I'm curious if they have thought of just making button combos their "new" feature instead of armor abilities and sprint? like button combos are already part of the classic halo formula so why not you know? To my knowledge not many fps games have button combos as a feature, its mostly fighting games that have that so wouldn't having button combos in an fps as a "modernization" make 343 stand out in the "modern day" game industry?

I really hope Infinite checks all the boxes for a classic halo but with that being said hear me out, I have a game idea pitch lol Halo 2 but its completely reskinned as a new IP, game play is the same just with new graphics and the button combos are features this time instead of glitches, it would be awesome if a few skilled devs got together to form a new studio for a project like that. Oh and if it supported mods or custom content the community could just port every halo map over lol 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

I really do wish 343 had better releases though like I want Halo to be in a better place right now. It's unfortunate bc everyone just wants a good Halo to play without the frustration of bugs or unnecessary additions of new mechanics that poorly attempt to "modernize" Halo.

Since 343 has been determined to "modernize" Halo for a while now I'm curious if they have thought of just making button combos their "new" feature instead of armor abilities and sprint? like button combos are already part of the classic halo formula so why not you know? To my knowledge not many fps games have button combos as a feature, its mostly fighting games that have that so wouldn't having button combos in an fps as a "modernization" make 343 stand out in the "modern day" game industry?

I really hope Infinite checks all the boxes for a classic halo but with that being said hear me out, I have a game idea pitch lol Halo 2 but its completely reskinned as a new IP, game play is the same just with new graphics and the button combos are features this time instead of glitches, it would be awesome if a few skilled devs got together to form a new studio for a project like that. Oh and if it supported mods or custom content the community could just port every halo map over lol 

That be pretty good tbh. But you’d need to make the combos and mechanic everyone knows exist at the start. Whatever you say the fact is the combos were glitches and to many people in the gaming world are seen as nothing but exploits. You’d Need to show  and let everyone know how they’re done. Or have a move set category. I know a good chunk of gaming communities who get disgusted when people win games through use of exploits and in many games you’re not allowed to use them in tournaments because usually they’re cheap kills. Now luckily halos community never viewed it this way. 

CQC Weapons 

The utility weapon is a 4sk Magnum.  The amount of damage dealt by one magnum shot will be referred to as 1 MS.  

The Shotgun fires a center slug surrounded by 18 pellets.  The slug, though not headshot capable, deals 1 MS.  

Each pellet deals 1/3 MS.  All together, 18 pellets and 1 slug, equals 7 MS.  Seven magnum bodyshots kill a fully shielded player.  

While the pellets are only accurate out to medium range at best, the slug fires true, able to descope a distant sniper just like the magnum would.  

LT activates a Flashlight that illuminates dark areas and reveals active camo players.  X reloads the weapon, one shell at a time but can be interrupted by another action.  

The Gravity Hammer smashes the hammer head down with RT, damaging and knocking proximate players back.  LT creates an expanding spherical shockwave that knocks incoming grenades and slow moving projectiles back.  X pulls proximate pick ups to the user.  Pulled objectives become attached the weapon, allowing the user to move and attack with no penalties while carrying it.  

The Tractor Beam fires a continuous beam that pulls an impacted aerial vehicle toward it.  LT picks up a moveable object in front of the user.  LT again drops the object.  While carrying an object, RT launches it forward.  Different objects have different projectile traits.  While carrying an object, X rotates it.  

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

That be pretty good tbh. But you’d need to make the combos and mechanic everyone knows exist at the start. Whatever you say the fact is the combos were glitches and to many people in the gaming world are seen as nothing but exploits. You’d Need to show  and let everyone know how they’re done. Or have a move set category. I know a good chunk of gaming communities who get disgusted when people win games through use of exploits and in many games you’re not allowed to use them in tournaments because usually they’re cheap kills. Now luckily halos community never viewed it this way. 

Combo menu

6169F0F7EC1C5928CB455CDDC0656EA29CC477BC

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

Combo menu

6169F0F7EC1C5928CB455CDDC0656EA29CC477BC

Yeah like that. That be perfect 

13 hours ago, Boyo said:

CQC Weapons 

The utility weapon is a 4sk Magnum.  The amount of damage dealt by one magnum shot will be referred to as 1 MS.  

The Shotgun fires a center slug surrounded by 18 pellets.  The slug, though not headshot capable, deals 1 MS.  

Each pellet deals 1/3 MS.  All together, 18 pellets and 1 slug, equals 7 MS.  Seven magnum bodyshots kill a fully shielded player.  

While the pellets are only accurate out to medium range at best, the slug fires true, able to descope a distant sniper just like the magnum would.  

LT activates a Flashlight that illuminates dark areas and reveals active camo players.  X reloads the weapon, one shell at a time but can be interrupted by another action.  

The Gravity Hammer smashes the hammer head down with RT, damaging and knocking proximate players back.  LT creates an expanding spherical shockwave that knocks incoming grenades and slow moving projectiles back.  X pulls proximate pick ups to the user.  Pulled objectives become attached the weapon, allowing the user to move and attack with no penalties while carrying it.  

The Tractor Beam fires a continuous beam that pulls an impacted aerial vehicle toward it.  LT picks up a moveable object in front of the user.  LT again drops the object.  While carrying an object, RT launches it forward.  Different objects have different projectile traits.  While carrying an object, X rotates it.  

The gravity hammer RT already does exactly what you described the LT as doing, why would you split that functionality. 

7 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

The gravity hammer RT already does exactly what you described the LT as doing, why would you split that functionality. 

Speed, reliability, and the ability to combo with primary fire.  

By giving shockwave its own button, it can be activated immediately without waiting for the primary fire animation to complete (hammer head hitting the ground).  

The nature of immediate activation gives the user finer control over when and where the shockwave is deployed, making it more reliable.  

When shockwave is tied to primary fire, first deflecting a projectile then immediately attacking is not possible.  When shockwave and primary fire are independent actions, deflecting a projectile does not deprive the user of his ability to immediately follow up with a primary fire attack.  

The Gravity Hammer is not so much a weapon as a force.  You become Darth Vader with it.  Pushing, pulling, flipping, killing. 

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Speed, reliability, and the ability to combo with primary fire.  

By giving shockwave its own button, it can be activated immediately without waiting for the primary fire animation to complete (hammer head hitting the ground).  

The nature of immediate activation gives the user finer control over when and where the shockwave is deployed, making it more reliable.  

When shockwave is tied to primary fire, first deflecting a projectile then immediately attacking is not possible.  When shockwave and primary fire are independent actions, deflecting a projectile does not deprive the user of his ability to immediately follow up with a primary fire attack.  

The Gravity Hammer is not so much a weapon as a force.  You become Darth Vader with it.  Pushing, pulling, flipping, killing. 

I don't think taking 1 button that has many attributes and splitting it between multiple inputs is good design, personally. It's complication, and inelegant. On that note most of your suggestions follow the trend of, "this is what these 3 buttons and the dpad do for this weapon or ability". You should try and focus more on getting the absolute most out of button as you can without alternate input methods, aka hold for this, double tap for this, etc.  

You wouldn't take the Reach grenade launcher and make one botton shoot, another manually detonate, and then a third apply the EMP effect. That'd be silly. Stack as much nuance as you can into one button press. 

@MultiLockOn The Gravity Hammer has three buttons available and only needs one.  There is no need to stack multiple functions onto one button when the weapon is more versatile with multiple independent functions.  

The Plasma Pistol has three buttons available to it:  scope, fire, and reload.  Two buttons have no actions mapped to them and one button has two actions mapped to it.  Is that good design?  

To start, I would map Scope to LT.  Then, I would make the Scope button double as an Alt Fire button on weapons without scopes.  

For example, the Plasma Pistol.  It would primary fire with RT, overcharge with LT, and fire an overcharged shot by pressing RT after holding LT for a brief period.  

Because scope and alt fire are one button, players are already comfortable with holding LT then pressing RT to fire because that’s how scoping works.  Pull LT to scope, press RT to fire.  Pull LT to overcharge, press RT to fire.  

Since scope and alt fire are already sharing a button, why not also share a mechanic?  Descope knocks players out of their LT ability.  Scoped in and hit?  Descope.  Charging an overcharged shot and hit?  Fizzle.  

If you want to go further, I would map the Reload button on battery operated weapons to “Toggle Firemode”.  Players are already used to tapping X to increase their weapon’s destructive capabilities.  

For example, the Plasma Pistol.  Normally, LT charges an EMP projectile.  On a weapon variant that higher ranking Elites carry, the Reload button toggles LT from charging an EMP Bolt to charging a Plasma Mortar, like a Wraith fires.  These alternate, alternate firemodes give hand weapons the ability to compete on large, vehicle filled battlefields.  

I don't see how they could get away with not showing any gameplay at this point unless that release date is looking quite far out. If they do show gameplay, however, it is going to have to blow peoples' brains to the wall behind them. It can't be some bullshit like the Halo 5 cutscene of Spartans doing their best Matrix moves. The longer Infinite's development drags on, the higher the expectations are driven, especially with the miniature rebranding they've done by dropping the numbers.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Really hope that they allow KB/M input and input based MM on consoles for Infinite. It feels SO much more satisfying and consistent to improve at FPS with a mouse. 

• Like (+1) 1

Quick Camo encourages players to hold onto their spawn AR in case they obtain a specific pick up that is enhanced by that weapon.  

Hanging on to a weaker weapon on the off chance that a specific pick up is secured is a decent risk/reward structure.  What do you think of this variation?

The [email protected] Assault Rifle has an integrated [email protected] Railgun but players do not typically spawn with ammo for it.  Railgun Ammo is an on-map pick up.  

Railgun Ammo is like a mini power weapon that you don’t have to drop either of your spawn weapons to obtain and use.  Since your secondary Assault Rifle is the vehicle by which rails (?) are fired, you already have everything you need.  

The placement of Railgun Ammo, even a single shot of it, can allow map designers to lightly anchor and reinforce positions in a way that’s stronger than a sticky but weaker than a rocket.  One Railgun shot can be the wedge buster that allows a team to emerge victorious. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Basu said:

Wasn't the game supposed to be revealed at (the now cancelled) E3? Why did they delay it another month?

Probably some issues came up. 

I seriously hope that implement keep a smart match timer or something in Infinite that changes team score limits for when people quit. Nothing more boring than playing a 50 kill game against a single guy who hides the entire game

14 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

I seriously hope that implement keep a smart match timer or something in Infinite that changes team score limits for when people quit. Nothing more boring than playing a 50 kill game against a single guy who hides the entire game

Vote to forfeit is a must, but also, I have a gameplay mechanic that I think could work for this problem.

Imagine a forge piece that you could place on any map. It's like a terminal, like capturing a base in H4 dominion. In slayer games, it's placed in the most vulnerable part of the map (usually bottom mid). When a player interacts with it, he fills a meter that takes 5 seconds, and a waypoint is placed on the item the instant it's in use. You could even have it trigger a sound effect too, so literally everyone knows when it's getting used. If he fills the meter, his team gets a point.

This would completely solve the hide-and-seek problem in lopsided slayer games, and it would punish camping and reward map control in normal games. It's not OP bc you're so vulnerable when you go to use it. And since it's a forge piece, you could just delete it if you want. Just imagine netting 25 kills in a little over 2 minutes while that last guy that refuses to quit hides somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Vote to forfeit is a must, but also, I have a gameplay mechanic that I think could work for this problem.

Imagine a forge piece that you could place on any map. It's like a terminal, like capturing a base in H4 dominion. In slayer games, it's placed in the most vulnerable part of the map (usually bottom mid). When a player interacts with it, he fills a meter that takes 5 seconds, and a waypoint is placed on the item the instant it's in use. You could even have it trigger a sound effect too, so literally everyone knows when it's getting used. If he fills the meter, his team gets a point.

This would completely solve the hide-and-seek problem in lopsided slayer games, and it would punish camping and reward map control in normal games. It's not OP bc you're so vulnerable when you go to use it. And since it's a forge piece, you could just delete it if you want. Just imagine netting 25 kills in a little over 2 minutes while that last guy that refuses to quit hides somewhere.

let's just remove slayer from 4v4

5 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

let's just remove slayer from 4v4

Indeed.

King, Ball, Flag, Bomb, and Strongholds (Objectively better 3 Plots) are all that we need. Slayer can have a home in another competitive playlist: Doubles.

• Like (+1) 3

Rumble Pit and Doubles should be Slayer only.  

4v4 and 6v6 should be a mix of slayer and objective.  

9v9 should be objective only.  

@S0UL FLAME 

Strongholds (Objectively better 3 Plots) 

How is Strongholds objectively better than 3 plots?  Because it prevents looping around the map?  Or because you can shut off the enemy’s points completely for a comeback?  

16 minutes ago, Boyo said:

How is Strongholds objectively better than 3 plots?  Because it prevents looping around the map?  Or because you can shut off the enemy’s points completely for a comeback?  

The latter.

To add to my Doubles advocating; 2v2s in Halo are the quintessential way to play Slayer versus the other options available. Bonus points if you bring back Static Timers.

• Upvote (+1) 1