CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I’m convinced these are the things that of Made h4 a solid game. 
1. Remove custom classes and just have do what reach did where everyone spawned the same way except with a choice of their armor ability.

2. Descope, not much to say this is obvious AF why.

3.rank and social.

4.boltshot never as a load out. That shit was op AF.

• Like (+1) 1

*Mandatory ProMod shilling.*

I forget if it had descope or not though. I think flinch/lack of descope was hardcoded into the game. Megalo wasn't able to unlock it.

I honestly don't think descope is good though. I don't think it's bad either. Flinch is bad because your aim itself is moved on your screen without your input whereas descope only removes your magnification. But I always thought descope was incongruent to the gameplay premise of Halo. A part of what distinguishes it is its higher killtimes and hybrid health system which allows for counterplay. In other words, it empowers players to choose and be in control of their options. Descope is inhibitory to that idea. Scoping in has its own balances anyways; radar removed and peripheral vision decreased. I think it'd be perfectly balanced for a player to sacrifice situational awareness for distance shooting.

Maybe keep it on snipers though.

• Like (+1) 1

Slayer is campy af and CTF is too hard to get a good flag pull, but Solace KotH is a legitimately good gametype.

H4 legendary gamemodes were more fun than the entirety of Halo 5

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah, but The 4 is currently in that second-most recent installment honeymoon period where people delude themselves into thinking it wasn't that bad.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Yeah, but The 4 is currently in that second-most recent installment honeymoon period where people delude themselves into thinking it wasn't that bad.

The only thing I’m nostalgic about is the forge maps.  Halo 4 had some really good community maps.  Skyline was the only half decent developer map and even that they fucked up with the lifts to top mid.  

My main takeaway from Halo 4 was that a map should be designed specifically for its intended player count.  Dedicated Doubles maps made the gametype so much more enjoyable than playing hide and seek on the Pit.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

So we’re not getting infinite gameplay until summer which is June, July and august! Sigh 343 loves keeping its fans in the dark huh? 

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

Didn't it have sprint and ordnance drops?

Legendary Slayer did not have personal ordinance. The power item spawns were on normal, dynamic timers. It was pretty standard Halo, just with sprint and no descope. Not perfect, but still better than just about any other shooter franchise imo, and more fun than H5 as well.

I'd put Legendary Slayer over H5, TU Reach, and Vanilla H3. Yes, there is sprint, and you can't descope people. But your gun shoots straight, aiming is buttery smooth, the movement is buttery smooth, there's no bullshit equipment, the weapon sandbox is pretty solid, and the item spawn system is coherent. It's a solid middle-of-the-pack as far as Halo experiences go.

• Like (+1) 1

If the evolutionary name nod wasn't obvious enough (we also just loved the presentation of original Mythic map packs), the general principles of H5 Mythic were inspired by the Legendary game types. Re-Halo the main game but keep some new things for reasons beyond community control.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

keep some new things for reasons beyond community control.

What reasons were those?  

Edit:  Hover is stupid.  Change my mind.  

On 5/3/2020 at 10:08 PM, Boyo said:

What reasons were those?  

Edit:  Hover is stupid.  Change my mind.  

Mainly the inability to directly modify certain traits of weapons. Stabilize was kept for some quirky movement stuff we baked into the maps. H5 kids love chaining abilities so we thought the Thrust combo was inoffensive enough (plus we nerfed both abilities). All Spartan Abilities are dumb, but so is H5, so we embraced that and ran with whatever spawned the most funny/sweaty moments in the context of what was available to us without everything getting too crazy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If legendary was the default settings of h4 and it had descope it be pretty good 

4 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

If legendary was the default settings of h4 and it had descope it be pretty good 

Relative to the rest of the franchise, and shooters in general, yes. Sprint can still eat my ass.

• Like (+1) 1

Stockpile spawns four neutral flags and two team-specific capture zones.  On the minute, every minute, any flags in capture zones become points for their respective teams.  At the top of each minute, any at-home flags or in-the-capture-zone flags are despawned and the new set of flags is spawned.  First team to 10 points wins.  

While the capture zones never move, the layout of the four flags does change each minute.  There is one layout for the opening rush then three layouts that are cycled through afterwards (A, B, C, D, B, C, D, B, C, D...).  

On Countdown, for example:  

A - big door, catwalk, bottom mid, s2 

B - balcony, s2, attics 

C - health pack, s1, vents 

D - big door, bottom mid, streets 

Do you think Stockpile could be a viable competitive gametype?

• Fire (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Did we ever figure out an angle on a Stockpile gametype for ZBNS or did that just kinda go away?

Can't figure out anything if people don't play.

• Simms (+1) 1

If there were a 12 player “freeform” playlist, what gametypes would you include?  Are there any classic custom gametypes that could accommodate 12 players?  

Multi Team - 3v3v3v3, both infantry and vehicular gametypes (crazy king, rocket race, power slayer, etc)

Infection - 10v2, no shields, humans respawn as zombies, variants include alpha zombie and cat n mouse 

Tremors - 10v2, one flag CTF, two defenders have splatter-only ghosts, attackers cannot deal damage, round based single life elimination 

Duck Hunt - 10v2, ducks travel through an obstacle course pathway, two snipers try to pick them off, ducks win if they finish the course 

Tower of Power - FFA, no shields, Shotgun/Magnum, an indestructible turret is also a hillzone that adds a point to your kill count for each second it is manned 

Troy - 6v6, no shields, opposing teams are forced to charge forward while firing arcing projectiles at each other, sword is equipped once enemies are withinin sight, round based single life elimination 

Paintball - 6v6, one hit kill plasma pistols, round based single life elimination 

Meta Raid/Castle Wars - 6v6, two flag CTF on a long hallway map with minor variations

Monster Trucks, Jenga, and some form of a Fat Kid variant (likely would need to rename it) all spring to mind as viable options.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah that reads to me like no Halo reveal.

• Like (+1) 1

Old hype cycles of yore were so exhausting. If something is your favorite shit it's very hard to ignore news about. I'm glad it'll be a short wait between gameplay reveal and release. If, for no other reason, I buy into the hype and it turns out to be garbo. Not nearly as much wasted mental energy.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Boyo said:

Do you think Stockpile could be a viable competitive gametype?

100% yes. There is nothing about that game that says "this can't work." It was just too different and no one wanted to try it. It's an outstanding gametype and Bungie deserves way more credit for it.  Is it perfect as is? Hell no, but it could easily be made into something special.

I feel the same way about Ricochet and Extraction.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Hard Way said:

100% yes. There is nothing about that game that says "this can't work." It was just too different and no one wanted to try it. It's an outstanding gametype and Bungie deserves way more credit for it.  Is it perfect as is? Hell no, but it could easily be made into something special.

I feel the same way about Ricochet and Extraction.

Ricochet could actually be great the problem is scoring and stopping a score are both too easy. The game just isn't built in a way that makes it easy to make it take real skill to cross map score and then stopping it is just tossing your hitbox in the right direction. Maybe raising the goal to stop goaltending, making the goal smaller, reducing the overall range you can take a shot from and maybe even giving the release of your shot a timing element to make it take some actual skill could help but I'm not sure Halo is the right genre for something like this. Obviously we're still shooting each other so it can't be too difficult but just posting up in the middle of the map and tossing the ball into the sky hoping nobody is standing in their spawn/goal is pretty dumb lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

Ricochet could actually be great the problem is scoring and stopping a score are both too easy. The game just isn't built in a way that makes it easy to make it take real skill to cross map score and then stopping it is just tossing your hitbox in the right direction. Maybe raising the goal to stop goaltending, making the goal smaller, reducing the overall range you can take a shot from and maybe even giving the release of your shot a timing element to make it take some actual skill could help but I'm not sure Halo is the right genre for something like this. Obviously we're still shooting each other so it can't be too difficult but just posting up in the middle of the map and tossing the ball into the sky hoping nobody is standing in their spawn/goal is pretty dumb lol

Raise the goal off the floor to prevent roll ins.  Surround the goal by a structure that prevents cross map shots on an open goal.  Place a window on the structure that allows the objective to be thrown into the goal from a specific location right outside.    

The structure gives teams the confidence to push forward without having to worry about the objective being launched over their heads and into their goal.  If they do decide to leave a goalie behind, goaltending is difficult because, at any moment, the objective could fly through the window and into the goal (the size of the goal and the elevation of the geometry in the area would make blocking a window-thrown-objective difficult to impossible).  This is good.  We don’t want a dedicated goalie.  Making goaltending difficult makes pushing forward more rewarding, encouraging players to do so.  

To make it into the goal, the objective needs to fly through the window on a fairly specific angle.  This means the thrower needs to stand in a fairly specific spot to create that trajectory.  This is good.  All players know where to defend and where to attack.  

Throwing the objective in is a field goal:  20 points.  Running the objective in is a touchdown:  50 points.  Running the objective in should be significantly more difficult than throwing it in due in part to players spawning in and around their base (at the higher player counts that ricochet should be played at, players are spawning more frequently).  

The map should be long.  The combination of a goal surrounded by a structure and a long map make bombing the objective downfield a poor choice.  The enemy you just killed spawned back at his base, picked up the unguarded objective in front of him and threw it right back like gator golf.  A longer thinner map makes infiltrating, getting behind enemy lines, more difficult.  This is good.  It means teams have to push up and slay the enemies a few times before they can get close enough to the base to score.  

That’s how you make ricochet good.  

• Like (+1) 1