CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Animations are fucking dumb, long ones actively hurt sandbox design. Do what Halo 2 did where you can cancel most animations. 

10 hours ago, NAK said:

My favorite was when he called Saucey "Soupey." 

Edit: Also, did he go out of his way to delete his account? 

Also called Cursed Lemon " Blessed Orange"

That one made me laugh though

The Metron Rifle has a battery that autonomously recharges itself as the player moves.  The user’s locomotion generates ammo for the weapon. 

• Thonking (+0) 1

Changes you'd make to the Carbine to make it stand out as a weapon?

I'd change it to an energy weapon that overheats like the Plasma rifle. Make it a 5 shot kill (4 shields, 1 headshot), remove the rate of fire cap so you can fire as fast as you want, but it'll overheat after 6-7 shots, with quite a long wait time for it to start cooling down if you stop firing before overheating it. The Carbine would be an 8-9 kill if hitting body shots, emphasizing the importance of accuracy with it. 

Ammo is limited because is an energy weapon, but now it has best in class TTK, but is also the least forgiving and hardest to use precision weapon. DMR and BR would still have a place in the sandbox due to higher ammo reserves and being a lot more forgiving and easier to use, but if you can master the carbine it becomes an incredibly strong and viable map pick up?

• Fire (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Ultra-low time to switch to/from the weapon, 9SK-10SK. A 2x and a 4x scope. Fires automatically when the trigger's held, like the Needle Rifle. 

Make it exceptionally good at descoping, and put it on sniper-heavy maps. 

3 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Replace its scope function with alternate fire, similar to Unreal’s Shock Rifle.  

5 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Delete it. Zero reason for this weapon to exist.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Higher TTK, but it does corrosive damage over time that keeps you descoped and prevents shields recharging longer than its peers.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

Imagine a needler that works like a nade trick gun. You fire 5-6 rounds approximately where you'd toss a nade at top rockets on Chill Out, and the explosion knocks rockets towards rocket ramp. Ideally, forgiving enough that it warrants being picked up. I'd say 50-60% as hard as a nade trick. As a disadvantage, you don't get the arc from a grenade and so doing stuff like getting sniper rifle to yourself at top blue on HEH becomes impossible. 

That, or go the GPMA route with the gun. 

More than anything else, I want the maps in future Halo titles to be built from the ground up for specific gametypes. I'd rather have 6 maps, with each playing brilliantly on a single gametype, than 18 which are mediocre. 

The thing that hyped me up the most about Mythic Arena was how all the maps were built with the settings and gametypes in mind. 

35 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

More than anything else, I want the maps in future Halo titles to be built from the ground up for specific gametypes. I'd rather have 6 maps, with each playing brilliantly on a single gametype, than 18 which are mediocre. 

The thing that hyped me up the most about Mythic Arena was how all the maps were built with the settings and gametypes in mind. 

Mythic was a great learning experience for covering everything a new game mode needs. Maps were easily the most important factor and primarily why previous endeavors failed. Slap and I plan on taking the knowledge we gained from Mythic into whatever we create in Infinite. We know getting something out ASAP is a dire need for grabbing attention and unifying Forgers.

• Like (+1) 5

To 343's credit, they (supposedly) designed each of H4's maps with team slayer and then one additional gametype in mind. At least that's what I remember reading back in the day. So they were at least aware of the need for a more focused experience, even if the maps themselves turned out to be horseshit.

For the most part, I think there should be three 'buckets' of maps:

-Small maps meant strictly for FFAs of 6 players max or small team games (2v2). Predominantly slayer, give consideration to ball OR king (or any new gametypes) on each map but slayer should be the priority. Maybe one map if symmetrical can be sort of a pocket CTF map. This is a lost art in modern Halo, I don't think FFA has received any serious consideration in studio map design since at least Halo 3.

-Arena maps. Typical 4v4 team-focused maps. Asymms designed for slayer first and foremost, symms can receive equal consideration for slayer and CTF. Whatever else you can get to work on them, great. Maybe set aside one map as the designated oddball map or whatever, but that's it. Slayer and CTF get priority. That probably won't be a popular sentiment on here, but whatever. 

-BTB/vehicle maps. Designed strictly for CTF (or bomb) if symmetrical, or one flag/one bomb if asymmetrical. That's it. If slayer works on any of them, great, but it shouldn't get much consideration. BTB slayer has never been all that great, if Halo PC and Bungie-era matchmaking taught me anything it's that all anyone really wants to play on maps that size is flag and bomb. Load up the hogs and get to it. If you can get some crossover on a map that works in the BTB bucket but would also fit in arena (a la Standoff), even better.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

I don't think FFA has received any serious consideration in studio map design since at least Halo 3.

In the same vein, what base player traits and settings would best lift up FFA?  I think free for all is an area where non-traditional mechanics can really be put to work.  Things like instant magazine fill on kill and regenerating grenades could have a legitimate place here.  

Even killstreaks could work in FFA.  Map control is different.  You normally hold down an area close to where you spawn.  Rather than giving the power items to the players who randomly spawn on them, each player earns his advantages through consecutive kills.  

How can FFA be its best self?  

16 hours ago, Boyo said:

In the same vein, what base player traits and settings would best lift up FFA?  I think free for all is an area where non-traditional mechanics can really be put to work.  Things like instant magazine fill on kill and regenerating grenades could have a legitimate place here.  

Even killstreaks could work in FFA.  Map control is different.  You normally hold down an area close to where you spawn.  Rather than giving the power items to the players who randomly spawn on them, each player earns his advantages through consecutive kills.  

How can FFA be its best self?  

I wouldn't mind regenerating grenades in FFA, but instant reload on kill would be cheesy imo. Imagine pushing a guy with rockets that just fired a long distance spam rocket. You have him dead to rights, he gets a lucky kill with that rocket, and instantly shoots out of his reload and kills you. The same thing could happen with the utility and grenades. It would piss people off, and I don't think the benefit outweighs it. I'd rather have a skill-based reload shortcut like H2 or Gears.

Kill streaks can fuck off forever and ever. Get your advantages off the map. As soon as you introduce kill streaks, you destroy predictability and intelligent counterplay. The only thing that needs to be done to avoid rewarding lucky initial spawns is to delay all item spawns by 1min. That's it.

When I had a consistent friend group to run customs with, our FFA scoring wasn't like normal. We played around with some different variants depending on the map and how many people we had in the lobby. Several of us, myself included, were FFA heroes and were often miffed how often somebody would win matchmade FFA without having the best spread. We weren't dumbass campers or anything who hugged shotguns in the corners of maps - we just played a bit smarter than you should have in FFA. The phenomenon was particularly egregious in H4's Regicide. Anyone in their right mind knows that was more of a party game but for a long time it was the sole FFA playlist in H4. An evening of matches in that mode would see the winner go negative and still win about 20% of the time.

So our settings focused on efficiency and introduced spread based scoring. A kill is two points and a death deducts two points. Two points, because an assist was one point. It's spread based because team based modes are essentially that; if there's only two teams then the team with more kills and less deaths wins. FFA effectively has 6+ 'teams' so in order to make it work like a two team mode, scoring has to deduct points on death. There's one point for assists because it doesn't feel good to lose a kill in a shoot out because of a third player landing a couple of cheeky shots for a double kill, and it's not as though you'd accomplish anything if you refocused on the third player because the second one will keep shooting you.

I think that'd be cool to see in matchmaking. The only caveat is that it can slow gameplay down some since it encourages not dying as much as it does slaying, though the assist point would get people a bit more ambulatory and if power weapons and power ups have quick respawns then it should rarely be a problem.

• Like (+1) 3

FFA works mostly fine with standard settings. FFA works like a decentralized version of slayer, because map control doesn't matter as much as player momentum and overall tenacity + accuracy. 

Take midship/heretic. Both are fantastic FFA maps, because they're relatively egalitarian with respect to spawns, and they force movement. P2/3 control doesn't matter because it's a power position with good cover and height, they matter because of their ability to attract players to the map and the subsequent ease of picking them off. From Carbine, you may be able to get 1-2 players in a minute's timespan. From P2, about 6 in that time. The power position fluctuates with respect to what position everybody's rushing to. 

What hurts FFA is an overabundance of swords rockets, and shotguns. These weapons are so ridiculously easy to get kills with and have so much ammo that it turns the map into a clogged pipe, with the clog being the dickhead crouching with a sword. Rockets should have 2 rockets, max. The only power weapons that should be used are sniper rifles, as they don't stop the flow of movement nearly as much. 

FFA's also hurt by maps with stark imbalances in between spawn areas. Take Derelict FFA with pistol starts; you may as well just suicide till you spawn on the top of the map, since you get spawnkilled within 2-4 seconds. Or, take Blackout in H3. The map ruins the vertical accessibility of Lockout, and it forces all actual encounters to S3, and BR Tower. There's absolutely nothing that you can do against a guy with shotty/sword at BR3, especially not with radar on. It's why more circular maps like Citadel, Cold Storage, and Isolation/Snowbound play significantly better on FFA than on 4v4 or 2v2.

OS is the best powerup to put on FFA gametypes. It doesn't stop motion, and it's not something that a single player with decent aim and awareness can't overcome with a grenade and some well placed shots. 

Unpopular opinion: you should only spawn with one frag in FFA, especially if frags are strong. People from across the map lob so many of these hail mary grenades and get rewarded for something that takes absolutely no effort. Halo 3 FFA in particular is annoying as shit, where places like S3 on Guardian become a deathtrap for any period of time over 20 seconds due to nade spam. 

10 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

EWL1WyDUEAED9bk?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I like this, so I choose to believe this.

It's probably fake just based off the no sprint part alone. TFW a fake leak is most likely better than the game we end up with.

• Like (+1) 4

Uh, wait. No Warzone, no lootboxes. So ALL the monetization is going toward a simple battle pass in which you can get...what? Halo is not a hero shooter, you can only customize your Spartan in limited ways and you can't even change their color. How exactly are they going to make all the money that I was repeatedly assured was justified in Halo 5? They're not going to be drowning in cash from private servers unless they present some kind of bizarre persistent gameplay opportunity that's completely different from anything we've seen.

Sounds like bullshit.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Uh, wait. No Warzone, no lootboxes. So ALL the monetization is going toward a simple battle pass in which you can get...what? Halo is not a hero shooter, you can only customize your Spartan in limited ways and you can't even change their color. How exactly are they going to make all the money that I was repeatedly assured was justified in Halo 5? They're not going to be drowning in cash from private servers unless they present some kind of bizarre persistent gameplay opportunity that's completely different from anything we've seen.

Sounds like bullshit.

Definitely seems on the fake end, but it could be cosmetic based battle passes that battle royales use. Each season brings new fresh armor permutations and weapon skins. 

Assuming any of this is accurate:

That campaign plot is terrible. But if the actual campaign gameplay is good (which it probably won't be because the fucking herpes prometheans are coming back) then whatever. Multiple missions on the same planet sounds like Halo 5. Multiplayer sounds fine with what little info was given, but Halo 5 Arena was described in that pastebin from forever ago as being "Halo 2: Reloaded" so forgive me for not putting a whole lot of stock into that. Custom servers at launch is very good though.

Also regarding FFA, that double score powerup I keep pitching would fit like a glove.

There's zero chance even 343 knows exactly what their launch playlists are yet. It doesn't make any sense for that info to even be leakable at this point.