CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, calberto said:

IIRC he was making some pretty spot on predictions in the past though.

I'm not saying trust everything he says, he could have outdated information or maybe 343 split the game (campaign has sprint, Arena doesn't or something like this) but him saying the game has sprint is quite a red flag for me...

Not saying he's wrong but then again we've had leaks that said sprint and clamber are in for a while now plus the grappling hook picture. "Halo Sprintfinite" has been a meme forever lmao. Personally I'm already expecting the game to be dogshit and have a ton of abilities so the only way I'll be suprised is if they accidentally make a good game.

43 minutes ago, Basu said:

Not saying he's wrong but then again we've had leaks that said sprint and clamber are in for a while now plus the grappling hook picture. "Halo Sprintfinite" has been a meme forever lmao. Personally I'm already expecting the game to be dogshit and have a ton of abilities so the only way I'll be suprised is if they accidentally make a good game.

Yeah honestly I'm not expecting the game to be good. I think the nostalgic overlay is a big smokescreen and that the gameplay will be very 343i.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I've been certain sprint will be in the game since 2012.

And it's been shit since 2012.

2 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Yeah honestly I'm not expecting the game to be good. I think the nostalgic overlay is a big smokescreen and that the gameplay will be very 343i.

This surprises me all over again sometimes. Not because it surprises me that actual designers would prefer their own ideas over others (even if the older ones definitely worked out better) but more so that the people sitting at the top are somehow okay with letting the series slip into obscurity. The guys worried about printing money not the guys who actually design anything are the ones I'm looking at funny at this point

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

This surprises me all over again sometimes. Not because it surprises me that actual designers would prefer their own ideas over others (even if the older ones definitely worked out better) but more so that the people sitting at the top are somehow okay with letting the series slip into obscurity. The guys worried about printing money not the guys who actually design anything are the ones I'm looking at funny at this point

You're assuming they aren't doing these things in the interest of printing money. They just don't have the luxury have being good at their jobs.

• Like (+1) 1

Being optimistic for Halo Infinite at this point is the equivalent of a battered housewife optimistic that “this time he’s finally changed!”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 2

What benefits does sprint even fucking have? Raise the base game's FOV to 100 (make it dynamic resolution on Xbox One, PC and Series X should pretty easily handle it), make the base movement speed about 120-125% what it is in base Halo games, and sharpen the acceleration/deceleration. Nobody will complain about it "feeling slow". 

Please, for heaven's sake. Halo doesn't need sprint. It's an unneeded, for-the-sake-of mechanic that just contorts gameplay and map design. 

Either 343i are scared of releasing an FPS in 2020 without sprint (an unwarranted fear considering that a lot of modern FPS without sprint do decently), or they're too attached to their design choices and they want to be immature about it ("I want sprint in the game, so it stays"). 

Let's just hope it comes with some mod support and forge so that the community can actually mold it into something decent, like GPMA. 

• Like (+1) 2

343i is gonna justify all the most basic bitch modern fps mechanics in the face of fucking Doom and Doom: Eternal. Get the popcorn ready.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Raise the base game's FOV to 100 (make it dynamic resolution on Xbox One, PC and Series X should pretty easily handle it), make the base movement speed about 120-125% what it is in base Halo games, and sharpen the acceleration/deceleration. Nobody will complain about it "feeling slow".  

This is a solution I even see more and more "pro sprint" people being OK with, 343 is just too subborn to let go...

9 hours ago, _Synapse said:

What benefits does sprint even fucking have?

It makes the weirdo lore addicts on r/halo happy.

Either 343i are scared of releasing an FPS in 2020 without sprint (an unwarranted fear considering that a lot of modern FPS without sprint do decently), or they're too attached to their design choices and they want to be immature about it ("I want sprint in the game, so it stays"). 

It's this one. They literally tanked Halo 4 because, in the words of some accented rando in one of those early ViDocs, "we wanted to make our Halo game!" They took over a beloved, respected franchise and the only thing they could think about was how make sure their names were etched in its history.

I'm not even going to be humble or deferential about it anymore - a small team of people from here could be put in charge of the next major Halo title (post-Sprintfinite) and the game would be much, much, much MUCH better and would sell at least twice as many copies as it would in its current weeb-tier spideyman supersoldier niche, and the series would be back on track pretty much overnight.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

I'm not even going to be humble or deferential about it anymore - a small team of people from here could be put in charge of the next major Halo title (post-Sprintfinite) and the game would be much, much, much MUCH better and would sell at least twice as many copies as it would in its current weeb-tier spideyman supersoldier niche, and the series would be back on track pretty much overnight.

I’ve been saying this for years; put me or anyone else here from Beyond in complete control of all executive decisions concerning Halo’s development, and I’m certain we could put out a better product than anything that’s been produced since Halo 3.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, threeFourthree said:

The amount of unintentionally ironic viewpoints in here is pure gold.  Don't ever stop.

I'm fully looking forward to Sprintfinite

Such as?

• Upvote (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Such as?

I mean I thought this one was pretty good:

16 hours ago, Mr Grim said:
17 hours ago, calberto said:

IIRC he was making some pretty spot on predictions in the past though.

I'm not saying trust everything he says, he could have outdated information or maybe 343 split the game (campaign has sprint, Arena doesn't or something like this) but him saying the game has sprint is quite a red flag for everyone with a brain.

Ftfy

Implying that anyone who enjoys Halo post H3 doesn't have a brain isn't exactly a resounding example of critical thinking

• Downvote (-1) 1

25 minutes ago, threeFourthree said:

Implying that anyone who enjoys Halo post H3 doesn't have a brain isn't exactly a resounding example of critical thinking

What aspects of Halo gameplay do you think 343 improved the most?  

51 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What aspects of Halo gameplay do you think 343 improved the most?  

Improved probably isn't the word I'd use.

I think 343's best work has been H5's movement.  It has the most depth/nuance of any of the movement systems in Halo when you consider all of the thrust/slide/stabilize combos, spring jumps, ramp boosting, etc.  It's not perfect - for instance, the strafe speed is a bit slow.

H5 has its flaws (like the abominations that are spartan charge and groundpound).  And yeah, even more flaws pop up when you consider the totality of the game's lifespan and 343's management decisions, like the good ol' AR/Radar starts they refused to adjust for about two years.  Overall though, I think H5's movement mechanics were quality work that had a good attention to detail

• Downvote (-1) 1

Ah yes, the movement system that messes up hitboxes shows good attention to detail. Yup. Sold. 

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

@threeFourthree What would you say to someone who claimed that modern movement in Halo creates humpty-dumpty, start/stop, run or gun gameplay?  Do you prefer this new staccato pacing compared to the smooth flow of classic Halo?  

2 hours ago, threeFourthree said:

I mean I was talking about sprint by itself but please do go on about this "irony." 

14 hours ago, _Synapse said:

What benefits does sprint even fucking have? Raise the base game's FOV to 100 (make it dynamic resolution on Xbox One, PC and Series X should pretty easily handle it), make the base movement speed about 120-125% what it is in base Halo games, and sharpen the acceleration/deceleration. Nobody will complain about it "feeling slow". 

Please, for heaven's sake. Halo doesn't need sprint. It's an unneeded, for-the-sake-of mechanic that just contorts gameplay and map design. 

Let's just hope it comes with some mod support and forge so that the community can actually mold it into something decent, like GPMA. 

Problem is they've backed themselves into a corner on several fronts. 

The biggest problem is the incredibly slow slaying power of the weapons. You can't have faster movement unless you also decrease the time to kill. From a gameplay perspective, doing all of that would be amazing and vastly improve virtually every aspect of the game, but they've created a fanbase that expects slow, plodding gunfights with lots of aim assists. They would need to sacrifice their boner for sprint, slow time-to-kill, and low-skill gunplay. I just don't see them doing all of those things, so instead we'll have sprint. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BigShow36 said:

Problem is they've backed themselves into a corner on several fronts. 

The biggest problem is the incredibly slow slaying power of the weapons. You can't have faster movement unless you also decrease the time to kill. From a gameplay perspective, doing all of that would be amazing and vastly improve virtually every aspect of the game, but they've created a fanbase that expects slow, plodding gunfights with lots of aim assists. They would need to sacrifice their boner for sprint, slow time-to-kill, and low-skill gunplay. I just don't see them doing all of those things, so instead we'll have sprint. 

On the flip side of this, there is a conceivable game where there are long-ish kill times and fast, advanced movement. Problem here is:

1. 343 apparently doesn't know how to commit to a particular design philosophy whole-hog.

2. Said hypothetical game is undoubtedly 1v1.

3. That game is Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram which is a far better game than they could ever make.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Reddit's leaking.

I think you mean Waypoint, lol. Reddit is overly pretentious H3/Reach-era morons denouncing "modern" Halo whilst making complete idiots of themselves due to not having half a clue as to the steady decrease in each Bungie game's skillgap. 

Waypoint is just something fucking else entirely. I've read threads where people defend 343 on  the sorry state of MCC's launch. "Oh it's so difficult to port 5 separate engines onto a game", "Halo can survive a week of server issues" and all that shit. It's definitely resident to more 343 apologia.

• Like (+1) 4