CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Halo (The CE level) was mind explodingly beautiful to anyone who played it in 2001. When you look over the vista to see the ring go right up and around.

👌😩

• Like (+1) 8

20 hours ago, Hard Way said:

“4th best Halo mission” got me thinking...that’d probably make a good thread. What are the consensus top 5 missions in the franchise? Or top 10. Whatever. I’d be curious to see if there is a consensus.

But as usual you’d have people voting that haven’t played every game, screwing up the results with their ignorant opinions.

1) The Ark: Excellent combat variety (Sniping, close quarters, vehicles), great encounters, great cinematics, incredible soundtrack. The final cutscenes' soundtrack gives me chills every time. 

2) The Covenant: Same as the Ark, but the encounter design for some of the vehicles is a little lackluster. Also, the bridge section at the end is more annoying than it is hard. 

3) Keyes: CE's combat loop is tuned to damn near perfection, so even shooting through wave after wave of flood is fun. There's a unique style to fighting them in this mission, because of the way they pour out of the corridors in huge numbers. It's got some nice AI battles, and some subtle storytelling with the way that the ship's boarded up using everything that the covenant had. 

4) Two Betrayals: Already talked about this one. Additional note though, the final large gorge battle against the wraiths and shit is the hardest encounter of any Halo game on legendary difficulty. It's extremely tense, because the 2-3 wraiths are firing off long distance mortars at you, while you try to snipe and pick off elites without getting hit by one. It throws absolutely everything the game has at you, on the covenant side of things. 

5) Tsavo Highway: Great combat variety, the best encounter design in all of Halo 3, good soft-cinematics, just about everything. 

Which actually brings something to note; Halo 3's enemy design is only slightly better than Halo 2's, but the gameplay's still quite good. It's definitely not CE-tier, but it easily takes second place. 

In fact, Halo 3's overall consistency in mission quality is very high. The only missions that I really disliked were the beginning of Sierra 117 (until you get a BR, after that it's also high quality), and Cortana. Cortana wasn't bad either, but it tried to shove in the CE-Library formula (Stay in one area, don't rush too far too quickly) in a game where the flood aren't as easy to individually drop, and it just doesn't work. Those stupid turret flood completely halt all motion until you can dump two magazines into them, like a worse version of Halo 4 watchers. 

My personal hypothesis is that the enemies get stunned more easily, you can take slightly more fire than in Halo 2, and it's considerably more difficult to use the BR, combined with slightly more open interior sections. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

On the real, I'm going to be the outlier and say that Pillar of Autumn from Reach was almost perfect. Varied environments, every enemy type fought, all of the sandbox somewhere or another, good soundtrack, a cool gimmick at the end. The only con was that the scarabs weren't fought. Cut audio files still in the game indicate that scarabs were going to be fightable too.

Funfact: a lot of people still think that multiplayer maps in Reach were taken from campaign. It's kind of the opposite though. The MP and campaign team coordinated aesthetics between maps so that campaign team could save time by slotting in the MP maps into campaign levels.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Faeyrin said:

On the real, I'm going to be the outlier and say that Pillar of Autumn from Reach was almost perfect. Varied environments, every enemy type fought, all of the sandbox somewhere or another, good soundtrack, a cool gimmick at the end. The only con was that the scarabs weren't fought. Cut audio files still in the game indicate that scarabs were going to be fightable too.

Funfact: a lot of people still think that multiplayer maps in Reach were taken from campaign. It's kind of the opposite though. The MP and campaign team coordinated aesthetics between maps so that campaign team could save time by slotting in the MP maps into campaign levels.

Yup. They also said that it created problems and that it would've been better to simply keep them separate and purpose build multiplayer maps. Hard to disagree.

21 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Can you defend High Charity for me? I never viewed that one as a standout. How does that make it over Halo (H1), Truth and Rec, Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, Two Betrayals, The Maw, Guilty Spark, Metropolis, Sierra 117, The Storm, Nightfall, Exodus, New Alexandria, Pillar of Autumn (Reach), Infinity, Swords of Sanghelios, or Battle of Sunaion? I enjoyed all of those more. I'm just curious how High Charity left such an impression.

I really enjoyed fighting the Flood. This level set up the main point of the trilogy: Cortana being left on High Charity with the Gravemind. The ending cutscene of making a girl a promise is a badass emotional scene. Moving through High Charity in the dark while Truth is heard over the intercom is a good feeling, and there's a nod to Mendicant Bias in the beginning. Everything about the level felt like the true end to Halo 2.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/11/2020 at 1:31 PM, Hard Way said:

“4th best Halo mission” got me thinking...that’d probably make a good thread. What are the consensus top 5 missions in the franchise? Or top 10. Whatever. I’d be curious to see if there is a consensus.

But as usual you’d have people voting that haven’t played every game, screwing up the results with their ignorant opinions.

1. Keyes

2. The Maw

3. Mombasa Streets

4. Truth & Rec

5. Silent Cartographer

6. Kizingo Boulevard

7. Halo (CE)

8. Tsavo Highway

9. Uplift Reserve

10. Pillar of Autumn (CE)

------

Honorable mentions:

The Ark, The Covenant, AoTCR, Two Betrayals - all good, but a lot of times I just don't have the stamina for those marathon levels. With the exception of Ark, which was the toughest cut, they all lose me about halfway through. Two Betrayals in particular gets points off for littering the second half of the mission with rocket flood and forcing you into H2-tier trial & error bullshit or going full Steve Irwin and try to sneak around behind them hoping they don't turn around and quickshot you.

Outskirts is a top 10 candidate if playing on Heroic. On legendary it's just a gangbang of OHKO aimbot jackals. Total horseshit.

The Storm becomes a top 10 candidate if you play Tsavo Highway before and carry over a FRG and give it to the warthog passenger. Now you can actually partake in vehicle combat against those ghosts and wraiths instead of dicking around with that detached missile pod like Bungie would have you do.

NMPD HQ is a pretty fun 10 minute shooting gallery and the final holdout section - your missile pod and splaser squad against an army of banshees and phantoms - is a riot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

The best halo level is the one where chief realizes the truth, that Cortana was dead all along and that he was brainwashed by her to exact revenge on those who put her in the gulag when they were imprisoned together after chief was captured by Fidel Castro during the bay of pigs.

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

I'm really enjoying reading what levels people love and why, my perspective of Keyes has changed dramatically.

I actually like Quarantine Zone. Something about killing flood in a tank is A+

16 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I'm really enjoying reading what levels people love and why, my perspective of Keyes has changed dramatically.

That’s the part of the mission I don’t hate as much.

Maybe I’m thinking of Sacred Icon. I can’t stand that mission.

Sacred Icon is a flaming pile of cockroach shit. I've never HATED a level so much. People who say the Library from CE was harder have never actually played this level. 

I know Halo 2 Legendary is meme-tier, but I'd still like to talk about it: The two main enemy factions you fight, scattered all over the mission, are Sentinels and Flood. 

The only effective weaponry against sentinels? Plasma Rifles. 

The only effective weaponry against Halo 2's spastic ass flood? Energy swords. You don't get those here until the end, though. So, you get to use the worst version of a shotgun in a Halo game ever. Or, you can realize your MP fantasy of dual wielding pistols as a dino and desperately trying to ping the flood in the headshot area as 12 of them bum rush you with shotguns that OHKO from like 10 meters away. 

This wouldn't be all that bad, individually. The problem was that shooting sentinels with the shotgun or pistol is about as effective as insulting them, and likewise for the flood and plasma weapons. You have to actively try to hold a plasma weapon through ammo hell, to even stand half a chance against the sentinels. 

Let's also add the fact that Sacred Icon is a hundred times more claustrophobic than the Library. You have to abuse the lolcamo on the Arbiter if you want to clear most of the rooms with flood. 

The mission is solid with soft cinematics and visual moments (the opening skybox and the gondola ride after the first enforcer), but the gameplay is pure pain. 2/10

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Quarantine Zone is underrated, but it's still a lot of lost potential. The most out of any Halo mission. 

The mission is thematically done right; a three way all out war between the factions. 

Gameplay-wise, there aren't enough viable vehicles, you don't have enough allies in vehicles, and the wraith sucks shit. Also, there's rocket flood in this level with lock-on rockets. On a vehicle level. Yeah. 

Also the gondolas are really fucking terrible. It's impossible to do them unless you've got at least two AI with energy swords, and even then the AI are pretty stupid so it's up to chance.

• Like (+1) 2

Unrelated but isn't kind of odd how infinite seems to be drawing heavily from reach artistically for stuff like armor and weapons, yet chief looks like his halo 2 incarnation mixed with halo legends? Like, why not go back to his mk 5 incarnation but a little modernized in order to fit with that reach inspired aesthetic? 

Looks like sprint is confirmed for Halo Infinite.

Edit: yes hello i’m back 

gG1270H_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

12 minutes ago, Moyceyy said:

Who is this person?

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Who is this person?

works for XBOX game studios. he’s an inside source - id say this would give us a pretty big hint. 

49 minutes ago, Moyceyy said:

that-season-im-out-meme-1024x639.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1

That guys name literally means toilet seat in german so I have a hard time taking this tweet seriously.

6 minutes ago, Basu said:

That guys name literally means toilet seat in german so I have a hard time taking this tweet seriously.

IIRC he was making some pretty spot on predictions in the past though.

I'm not saying trust everything he says, he could have outdated information or maybe 343 split the game (campaign has sprint, Arena doesn't or something like this) but him saying the game has sprint is quite a red flag for me...

• Upvote (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, calberto said:

IIRC he was making some pretty spot on predictions in the past though.

I'm not saying trust everything he says, he could have outdated information or maybe 343 split the game (campaign has sprint, Arena doesn't or something like this) but him saying the game has sprint is quite a red flag for everyone with a brain.

Ftfy

• Like (+1) 1