CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

21 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Kings Fall had some of the coolest visuals I've ever seen. 

The taken king DLC as a whole was top tier. I couldn't put destiny down at that time. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Faeyrin said:

Bungie designers have talked about their AI before, at places like GDC or the occasional deepdive web post. The way the code this AI is rather like a branching tree and they say that the AI appears more intelligent the further it can progress down this decision making tree. Supposedly the tree logic has been 'improved' with each of their games...but I just didn't really see it past CE. I think it's another case of over-design. Enemies have one job: try to kill the player. It doesn't need elaborate systems.

I will say though that Destiny 1 felt really good when you were a little below or exactly at the recommended power level for an activity. Enemies were actually very dynamic without being bullet spongey. They'd aggress, retreat, flank, dodge, the whole nine yards. But once you leveled past the recommend power level and had the good exotic gear, everything outside of Nightfalls and Raids was steamrolled.

I've mentioned this a couple times before on the forum, but I really wish more devs would draw inspiration from FEAR. Taking cover too much? AI will try to flush you out with a grenade or flank you. The AI is never stationary always moving around the map. They aren't overly aggressive or overly defensive, but a good mixture of both. 

That said though the devs were working within pretty small map area's. They never got to the size of something like Halo from CE. Usually confined rooms maybe with 1 or 2 floors.

I think the major reason that CE's enemies are as pursuing as they are, is because the game was originally an RTS. CE's enemies are built off a "defending position/attacking position" system, though I don't know much about the following Halo games. 

It's caused me to change my outlook on how an open world Halo game would play. I was highly skeptical at first, but if they pulled off CE-or-higher levels of AI aggression and movement, it'd work well. 

Despite the second half being a drag, CE's campaign has always been in my top 3. Probably the campaign I've completed the most next to H3. Fighting the enemies in that game has always been fun besides the odd Rocket Flood here and there. Funny thing is I actually like The Library, it's more the repeat levels like Two Betrayals and Keyes that I dislike. My exception would be The Maw, which is a really fun finale that is mostly the reason I push through the levels I'm not a fan of.

Cortana is a good level and you can suck my ween if you disagree.

• WutFace (+0) 1

2 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Cortana is a good level and you can suck my ween if you disagree.

Besides those Assblaster flood that take 10 minutes to kill

• Upvote (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

Besides those Assblaster flood that take 10 minutes to kill

YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS THE ASSBLASTER

also at the risk of ruffling some jimmies I still think the second level of halo 4 is good. Not only its best but probably 343s best out of all their games.

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS THE ASSBLASTER

also at the risk of ruffling some jimmies I still think the second level of halo 4 is good. Not only its best but probably 343s best out of all their games.

Halo 4's level with the Mammoth I really enjoyed as well. Felt really epic has some cool vehicle battles. 

15 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Halo 4's level with the Mammoth I really enjoyed as well. Felt really epic has some cool vehicle battles. 

I hate to say it but I am oddly nostalgic for some parts of halo 4. The multiplayer can die in a fire but the single player? It's not the best by a long shot but I like the music (even if it is very unhalo sounding), the armor clanking sound effects, chief and Cortana have a good dynamic, stuff like that. 

Bad game but subjectively, I like some stuff about it.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I hate to say it but I am oddly nostalgic for some parts of halo 4. The multiplayer can die in a fire but the single player? It's not the best by a long shot but I like the music (even if it is very unhalo sounding), the armor clanking sound effects, chief and Cortana have a good dynamic, stuff like that. 

Bad game but subjectively, I like some stuff about it.

I liked Chief talking a lot more. I enjoyed the scale they depicted and the size of some encounters. The jungle was beautiful as well. Really really did not enjoy multiplayer can get the same experience anywhere else and get it better. 

Not a fan of Prometheans at all though. Ugly, dumb, poor weapon design and even though they have glowing lights they still don't follow Halo's "rank by colour" design which is infuriating.

Gold and White mean highest rank. Red means mid rank. Blue beans low rank. They have glowing lights, why is this not in their design?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I liked Chief talking a lot more. I enjoyed the scale they depicted and the size of some encounters. The jungle was beautiful as well. Really really did not enjoy multiplayer can get the same experience anywhere else and get it better. 

Not a fan of Prometheans at all though. Ugly, dumb, poor weapon design and even though they have glowing lights they still don't follow Halo's "rank by colour" design which is infuriating.

Gold and White mean highest rank. Red means mid rank. Blue beans low rank. They have glowing lights, why is this not in their design?

I felt like the scale was smaller tbh? Like h3 and reach still murder it in terms of just scale alone. In fact the levels where it's just chief are noticeably better than when he's interacting with allies I feel. Like that jungle level. It takes a less fun turn as soon as you hook up with Lasky.

Two Betrayals and Keyes are actually my favourite levels in CE, lol. They're the closest to perfection in terms of difficulty balancing, they've got lots of large and medium-scale AI faction battles, they've got fantastic encounter design, and two betrayals has some really fun vehicular sections. 

After passing the now-flood festering subterranean bridges, you walk back into the icy gorge, and as you gaze at the night sky, under cover of night plays. 

You walk out, and all you can see are immense hordes of flood clashing with equally large covenant forces, and annihilating them. Each successive canyon features a more one sided AI battle than the last, with the final canyon showcasing the full might of the covenant coming down upon the flood. 

Two Betrayals is legit the 4th best Halo mission.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Two Betrayals is legit the 4th best Halo mission.

If I hadn't just played through Assault on the Control Room for 30 minutes going through the same bridge three times, the same room 5 times and then being told I have to do it again I'd agree with you.

Not even being sarcastic. I would agree with you but it's exactly the same and it's like fuuuuuuuuuuu- on there's banshees at the start sweet! Oh cool a banshee duel.

Oh this is a huge battle between flood and covenant this is cool!

Ok yeah I like Two Betrayals...

• Like (+1) 2

“4th best Halo mission” got me thinking...that’d probably make a good thread. What are the consensus top 5 missions in the franchise? Or top 10. Whatever. I’d be curious to see if there is a consensus.

But as usual you’d have people voting that haven’t played every game, screwing up the results with their ignorant opinions.

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

“4th best Halo mission” got me thinking...that’d probably make a good thread. What are the consensus top 5 missions in the franchise? Or top 10. Whatever. I’d be curious to see if there is a consensus.

But as usual you’d have people voting that haven’t played every game, screwing up the results with their ignorant opinions.

1. The Covenant

2. Regret

3. The Ark

4. High Charity

5. Midnight

Midnight had everything I would want in a level. The opening trench run was epic with Cortana going crazy and Chief racing against the clock.

Honorable mentions to Halo and Cortana.

20 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Any enjoyment that I would get out of that level is defeated by the fact that my suspension of disbelief is destroyed when the giant tank with a gun almost the size of its targets can't fire at said targets unless the only target locator in the Infinity's arsenal is picked up from the downed Pelican and can't even really be used in actual gameplay.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Three Six Xero said:

Any enjoyment that I would get out of that level is defeated by the fact that my suspension of disbelief is destroyed when the giant tank with a gun almost the size of its targets can't fire at said targets unless the only target locator in the Infinity's arsenal is picked up from the downed Pelican and can't even really be used in actual gameplay.

Ahahahah. It's like the 1000 death star destroyers in Rise of Skywalker not being able to travel up without a special radar.

2 hours ago, AArkham said:

1. The Covenant

2. Regret

3. The Ark

4. High Charity

5. Midnight

Midnight had everything I would want in a level. The opening trench run was epic with Cortana going crazy and Chief racing against the clock.

Honorable mentions to Halo and Cortana.

Can you defend High Charity for me? I never viewed that one as a standout. How does that make it over Halo (H1), Truth and Rec, Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, Two Betrayals, The Maw, Guilty Spark, Metropolis, Sierra 117, The Storm, Nightfall, Exodus, New Alexandria, Pillar of Autumn (Reach), Infinity, Swords of Sanghelios, or Battle of Sunaion? I enjoyed all of those more. I'm just curious how High Charity left such an impression.

5 hours ago, Hard Way said:

What are the consensus top 5 missions in the franchise?.

Made this list as a "first things that come to my head":

1. The Silent Cartographer (Hit it marines!)

2. The Ark (Dem tanks)

3. Guilty Spark (twist!?)

4. The Covenant (queue Halo theme)

5. Assault on the Control Room (first introduction to vehicle on vehicle combat in Halo)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The best halo level may be the reach epilogue. It's not the most fun, but it's iconic and succeeds at everything it's attempting to accomplish.

Change my mind?

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

The best halo level may be the reach epilogue. It's not the most fun, but it's iconic and succeeds at everything it's attempting to accomplish.

Change my mind?

“Survive” was a unique experience the first time around.  Made me feel genuine disbelief, like wtf is this really happening.  Would you kindly, the force can do terrible things to a mind, and survive and three memorable moments in gaming for me.  

And like that, poof, he’s gone.  

1 hour ago, Faeyrin said:

Best level of all time is Data Hive. Duh.

You joke but the odst hub area is a great level in and of itself.

• Like (+1) 2

The Delta Halo/Regret Combo are definitely some of my favourites though, just too linear to make the list.

• Like (+1) 2

The five levels Shekkles posted were also the very first ones to come to my mind, I think because aside from GS they make full use of every aspect of Halo's sandbox and have tons of gameplay variety within them.  And GS because it made an amazing first impression, even if it's not quite as good on replays.  TSC, AotCR, Ark, and Covenant are inarguably some of the best levels in the franchise.  If you were a stickler for gameplay you could probably replace GS with Halo (Ce) or Truth and Reconciliation.

Halo 2 and Halo Reach don't have any levels that make my list.  But I feel they had more consistent quality throughout, even if they didn't hit the same highs they  never really hit the same lows either.  I can't offhand think of any Halo 2 levels I disliked...unlike some Halo 3 levels I can think of.  The Delta Halo combo was pretty good.  I also liked Great Journey, mostly for the atmosphere.

I barely even remember ODST.  I remember not caring much for it when it came out.

I don't really want to ever touch Halo 4 or Halo 5's campaigns again.  They might've had a couple good level designs here and there but even then they were marred by poor...everything.  There's nothing in them I'd put on a best-of list.  

Honorable mentions to Halo and Cortana

Also reminder that there's two levels in the franchise sharing the name "Halo".  Beginning of Ce and end of H3.

• Upvote (+1) 1