CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Instead of Hardlight Shield being an armor ability, it is the Alt Fire on the Sentinel Beam.  RT fires a continuous beam forward.  LT activates a shield in front of the user.  Firing the weapon or activating the shield both drain the weapon’s battery over time.  

From a gameplay perspective, rolling HLS into a weapon gives the ability a visual tell; when you see a player with the Sentinel Beam, you know he also has Hardlight Shield.  From an aesthetic standpoint, I think a red tinted shield would look much more badass than a blue/clear one. 

42 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Instead of Hardlight Shield being an armor ability, it is the Alt Fire on the Sentinel Beam.  RT fires a continuous beam forward.  LT activates a shield in front of the user.  Firing the weapon or activating the shield both drain the weapon’s battery over time.  

From a gameplay perspective, rolling HLS into a weapon gives the ability a visual tell; when you see a player with the Sentinel Beam, you know he also has Hardlight Shield.  From an aesthetic standpoint, I think a red tinted shield would look much more badass than a blue/clear one. 

I'd be ok with this. Would be fun for campaign

• Upvote (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I'd be ok with this. Would be fun for campaign

Speaking of campaign, I think a keycard system like old school Doom had would be interesting.  There could be powerful enemies, mini-bosses, holding keycards that grant access to unique routes or optional areas.  The form these keycards come in is the Artifact equipment.  

While the Artifact is equipped, Left and Right on the D pad each toggle a switch on and off.  Switch 1 could activate a lightbridge and Switch 2 could activate a gravity lift, granting entry to previously inaccessible areas.  

The A button is the primary operator of equipment.  A calls in an Orbital Strike on the targeted location.  Destroy a bridge behind you to prevent pursuit, knock out a gate in front of you to gain access, or simply blow up a bunch of bad guys.  The Artifact’s Orbital Strike is a tool to open and close routes as well as a weapon.  

I'm for anything that makes the levels non-linear and adds multiple objectives. Perfect Dark's mission structure is so much more interesting than Halo's.

What I REALLY want is Syphon Filter: Omega Strain's mission structure.  Every mission is totally non-linear and pretty big, you can hit the objs in any order you want, and each mission has a truly challenging par time with unlockables. 4 player co-op that requires actual planning and coordination from all players to hit the par times.

That game really flew under the radar. It was pretty damn good. The whole series was good, but that game really opened up the missions and challenged the players.

I don't care that much about linearity; Basically every Halo game has been 95%< linear. Bring back CE style-enemy design, where enemies have large amounts of health and shields, very high agility and constant movement, and pursue the player so that you can't do stupid shit like duck your head in and out of the same spot of cover until the AI's shields are gone. Also, make it actually rare to headshot enemies. Enemies are so fucking incompetent in every game post-CE that I sometimes have trouble believing that the games were made by the same developer. 

Bring back actually powerful weapons. There's literally only one weapon in CE that's unusable on legendary, and even the needler can be used situationally to varying levels of success. The rest of the sandbox manages to be extremely effective, while simultaneously requiring the player to know what weapons to bring along for a certain encounter and what not to. The shotgun was arguably broken, but bringing it into the first outdoor fight on Two Betrayals on legendary was guaranteed death. 

Also, while the game can be linear, make the areas expansive and open, and make use of said extra space. The first thing I noticed when I played H2 after HCE was how unnaturally shrunk all the levels felt, like someone had shrunk CE by about 20-25%. The mysterious feel of exploring the huge, ambiently-lit, vertically imposing structures in CE was never captured by any Halo game (with 3 being a slight exception). In addition, give us more massive AI vs AI battles that require the player to pull apart the encounter like a puzzle, like the gorge battle on Two Betrayals, or the place with the hunters and covenant fighting off waves of flood in Keyes. 

These are arguably the simplest things that they could do in the grand scheme of campaign design, and these alone would propel the campaign to CE levels of timelessness. Especially the point about enemy design, it's something I never could get over. 

As much as I understand that MP was downgraded in every successive Bungie title after CE, campaign was downgraded far more. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not joking, I've written like 15+ page docs on all the ways that CE's campaign was massively downgraded in H2. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

I'm not joking, I've written like 15+ page docs on all the ways that CE's campaign was massively downgraded in H2. 

There were some iconic moments, but yes, its def the worst Bungie campaign. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, _Synapse said:

If you watch the Making of it was rushed like hell. They wanted it to be bigger and better in every way but failed through not getting shit done in the first year. Had to start from scratch.

The cut scene where Chief blows up the covenant cruiser was actually supposed to be a whole mission for example. They also didn't want to repeat Halo 1's reptitive environments so instead we had a few "hold position" missions. The most obvious one being the first area in Outskirts but then o lordy the elavator in Oracle.

I love Halo 2 to bits but it was clearly cut down from the original vision unfortunately. I would love to see a Halo 2 SPV3. 

• Like (+1) 3

I don't know how it is now but it's miracle they got anything done back in the day. I've heard horror stories of how the development was ran during 2 and 3 in particular.

What if they just took ODST's format and expanded on it? Open world format with nonlinear ability to engage combat, secure the mission area to unlock a traditional linear mission. Best of both worlds, imo.

You could even latch certain benefits to securing some areas and completing its respective linear mission. Like access to certain weapons, armor, vehicles and UNSC support in the open world, thus giving you more options in securing the next mission area.

One could dream, but I actually have a very strong suspicion that is the route 343 will take. I'd actually be impressed for once.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/6/2020 at 5:07 PM, Larry Sizemore said:

I'm keen on the idea of setting a spartan loose on an abandoned UNSC ship/space station, and having that serve as the hub for an open world/wide-pipe game like ODST. No allies left, just a shitload of covenant. Grunts, elites, jackals, hunters, and engineers. Brutes only if they can be made into interesting opponents and not just K-Mart elites (possibly a new covenant enemy type as well?). Some set encounters, but mostly random patrols of varying makeup and aggressiveness (keep the pressure on the player). Pick up 'clearance levels' as you go for access to locked doors and other nooks and crannies for collectibles and whatnot (muh RPG elements).

Yeah, it's pretty derivative of Alien and Deadspace and god knows what else, but then again this franchise started with a spartan waking up from cryosleep on a spaceship overrun by covenant, CE ended on that same ship with the iconic warthog run, H2 once again has you wading through a spaceship full of angry aliens in the first level, I swear 2/3 of the campaign cutscenes since 343 took over have taken place on the UNSC Infinity... I think Halo has as much of a right to that setup as any other franchise.

Imagine a darkened, abandoned, open world Cairo Station with stealth sections, enemies spawning behind you at certain triggers, random engineer patrols, all sorts of service tunnels/shortcuts. It's a UNSC space so ammo for your core weapons will be plentiful unlike those 343 forerunner missions. Pair it with a campaign narrative that supports going out of order without blowing the story (one of the few things ODST botched) and you're in business.

12 hours ago, Shekkles said:

The cut scene where Chief blows up the covenant cruiser was actually supposed to be a whole mission for example. They also didn't want to repeat Halo 1's reptitive environments so instead we had a few "hold position" missions. The most obvious one being the first area in Outskirts but then o lordy the elavator in Oracle.

Yeah, the "hold position" style of design really kills the pacing of the game. There were a few sections from HCE that were similar (The area with the marines on Halo, the Gravlift + immediately following section in T&R, a few rooms on the library), but they were actually tense because the enemies wouldn't stand in one place and shoot at you if you ducked your head out; they would pursue you extremely quickly and try to corner you, which forced you to play aggressively and proactively. In H2, the AI's passive and dumb as rocks, and will basically stand idle while you're behind cover. So, encounters are less so a matter of surviving, and moreso a matter of "How many more  waves of enemies do I need to kill?". If the enemies were genuinely challenging to kill and quick to give pursuit a la Halo CE, then these sections would be 10x as fun. 

Also, HCE flood = best flood. Can be outmanoeuvred quickly in close quarters, no spastic melees that impact player physics weirdly, good balance of standing still and firing as well as charging and leaping towards the player, open environments to fight them in as opposed to the claustrophobic shitshow of H2, and ranged weapons are actually somewhat useful against them. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Also, HCE flood = best flood. Can be outmanoeuvred quickly in close quarters, no spastic melees that impact player physics weirdly, good balance of standing still and firing as well as charging and leaping towards the player, open environments to fight them in as opposed to the claustrophobic shitshow of H2, and ranged weapons are actually somewhat useful against them. 

I will have to disagree here, I really enjoyed Halo 3's flood from a pure gameplay POV

Daily reminder that Bungies art and sound team is about 1000 miles ahead of any other in the entire industry.

^ that one minute is all you need to see. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Daily reminder that Bungies art and sound team is about 1000 miles ahead of any other in the entire industry.

I wish I didn't find looter shooters to be one of the most dull experiences ever because Destiny 1/2 are some of the best looking gems the games industry has ever produced. Bungie always make their own tech platforms (or engines) as well.

• Like (+1) 5

18 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I will have to disagree here, I really enjoyed Halo 3's flood from a pure gameplay POV

I like the concept of Halo 3 flood in that they can takeover dead bodies to become another flood form. Versus in CE the reviver forms are random (not entirely random but to almost everyone they will be). The flood taking over Elite bodies to have a shield is a cool mechanic. 

But I still don't like fighting the Halo 3 flood. They don't seem as aggressive like they were in CE. And I absolutely hate and can't stand the bug/drone flood form. It just sticks itself to a wall and shoots you from a mile away. If you even try to shoot it (on Legendary anyway) you'll end up using an entire clip just to take out this 1 flood form. The only good way of taking it out is by using a Plasma/Brute/Fire grenade, or rushing it with a Sword but that is far too limited for gameplay. 

Aside from the Flood, I really don't want a campaign that's going to rely on a 4 player model. 343 already tried that in Halo 5, and while they failed miserably and it could be done better, I don't even like the general concept of it. I really don't want to have to find 3 co-op partners just to be able to beat the mission in the given par time or enjoy it for what it is. If the best campaign experience is only by playing it with others, I would bet on it not being a fun or good campaign to play.

But I will say I would enjoy if the difficulty ramped up with increasing players. 4 player co-op maybe gives more enemies, maybe replace some/all Grunts with more Elites, more Jackal Snipers, more Hunters, more aggressive Brutes or Flood (if either are in the game). Give the enemy AI better weapons. If a mission's par time is 12 minutes solo, maybe on 4 player co-op you make it 8 minutes so you can't just cheese your way into getting the achievement. The campaign can still be mostly-linear and still be amazing.

• Like (+1) 4

I'm still surprised we've never seen Flood Firefight. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I'm still surprised we've never seen Flood Firefight. 

Why would you want a game mode that makes absolute and perfect sense when you could instead have Breakout?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 4
  • Toxic (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TiberiusAudley said:

Why would you want a game mode that makes absolute and perfect sense when you could instead have Breakout?

343-logo.png

• Like (+1) 4

On 4/5/2020 at 7:51 PM, Shekkles said:

Not necessarily a bad take, Halo 3's weren't the worst iteration by far. Then again, what'd you find more enjoyable about H3 flood than CE flood? Or conversely, what'd you dislike about CE flood? 

H3 flood were an order of magnitude better than H2 flood for sure, but most weapons that the game gave you still weren't as effective as they should have been, and I still missed the attack pattern of CE flood, where they'd stand back and fire for a short while, before charging you en masse. Flood forms weren't bad, but wasted a lot of potential. Also FUCK those wall hugging turret flood, just as bad as H4 Watchers

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2020 at 8:14 PM, Shekkles said:

I wish I didn't find looter shooters to be one of the most dull experiences ever because Destiny 1/2 are some of the best looking gems the games industry has ever produced. Bungie always make their own tech platforms (or engines) as well.

The whole RPG aspect of Destiny is easily it's weakest leg, but the raids in the game are some of the best content in gaming straight up.  There's nothing like them anywhere.  Plus all of the raids, with the exception of the most current, all all below the starting level of your character when you create one now and the game is free to play so if you or anyone here is inclined to actually experience them I'd be happy to run people through them.  I have a group of friends that run them somewhat frequently just for fun and we do it with new players as well.  Really, really good content.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

On 4/5/2020 at 4:51 PM, Shekkles said:

Halo 3's Flood had more mechanics to them, but I feel like they didn't really encapsulate the idea that their name suggests. CE had "unlimited Flood doors" which were somewhat annoying to clear if you didn't know when it was best to advance at higher difficulties, but the sheer amount of them attacking you at once and even over time made them feel like what their idea is supposed to be, and the tech level for CE compared to Halo 3 when it comes to being able to handle those encounters like shows some excellent scenario/level development on Bungie's part at the time.

Cortana is a notable exception since the level's design did well with its Flood aesthetic that gives the player the feeling that they are surrounded, but even there there were areas that felt tame at worst when you consider that you're located in the center of where the Flood are spawning from lore-wise.

The only problem I have with CE's Flood is one that made me upset upon both on the initial playthrough and the replaying of Flood levels, and continued to do so until I discovered Jackal Snipers on Legendary and had the legitimate thought, "Maybe Rocket Flood weren't so bad."

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Still, fuck those guys

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

The whole RPG aspect of Destiny is easily it's weakest leg, but the raids in the game are some of the best content in gaming straight up.  There's nothing like them anywhere.  Plus all of the raids, with the exception of the most current, all all below the starting level of your character when you create one now and the game is free to play so if you or anyone here is inclined to actually experience them I'd be happy to run people through them.  I have a group of friends that run them somewhat frequently just for fun and we do it with new players as well.  Really, really good content.

It really is the best thing in gaming. I love love love a good raid with friends.

Each species has a different type of “deployable shield”.  The alt fire on the Promethean Sentinel Beam creates a shield at the end of the weapon’s barrel.  High ranking Elites can deploy Bubble Shield equipment.  

When a Brute crouches, a Jackal Shield is automatically deployed from his left forearm armor.  Melee jabs the shield forward, damaging and knocking back an impacted player.  

Instead of throwing a grenade, that button throws the shield forward like a frisbee, its altitude locked at the elevation it was deployed at.  If the user aims to the left of the flying shield, it travels left at a constant speed with a fixed turn radius (same for the right).  Once the shield has traveled its maximum distance forward, it reverses, returning to the user, homing in on his location like a smart boomerang.  

Flying into a wall destroys the shield and a cooldown must complete before the user can activate another one.  If the shield successfully returns to the user, it is available for immediate use.  Damage dealt by a flying shield is equivalent to a standard melee attack.