CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

People don't care about moving fast they just think they do. Siege is slow as shit.  Halo used to move slow as well.  It never mattered. All that matters is that there's an enticing skill to the game and it's not riddled to the brim with bullshit. That's what's fun.

But movement skill is part of that and I would very much like Halo to have an engaging movement component that doesn't hurt other aspects of the game like sprint/thrust.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

People don't care about moving fast they just think they do. Siege is slow as shit.  Halo used to move slow as well.  It never mattered. All that matters is that there's an enticing skill to the game and it's not riddled to the brim with bullshit. That's what's fun.

But movement skill is part of that and I would very much like Halo to have an engaging movement component that doesn't hurt other aspects of the game like sprint/thrust.

I never found that thrust hurt halo and considering how well that h5 mythic plays it kinda just more proves that. Sprint may hurt halo but sprint didn’t hurt like everything in halo. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

8 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I never found that thrust hurt halo and considering how well that h5 mythic plays it kinda just more proves that. Sprint may hurt halo but sprint didn’t hurt like everything in halo. 

ITS JUST AS BAD AS SPRINT. one shot? thrust behind the wall 5 feet to your left or right.  about to fall off the map? Thrust back onto that bitch somewhere

I wouldn't mind thrust too much if it wasn't so damn fast and instant. There's no telegraph to it. Also if you're strafing right and you thrust left, you should not go full distance left. You should go half of that distance because you were strafing in the opposite direction.

Thats why jumping is better, you can telegraph it better. also if im strafing left and try to jump right mid strafe, ill just go straight up in the air. shit actually makes sense. There's momentum.. Not in h5. Sprint left/jump to the left THEN thrust right to fuck your opponent up every time no fail. Can ppl even react to that? I dont watch h5. Seems like it always throws ppl off when I watch.

if the thrust had a slower time to activate, and it showed on your spartan that your thrusters were charging up before hand, like maybe a .2 second before... then mayyybe...

Still fucking hate the idea of it though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

Thrust in mythic wasn't even a strafe so much as just giving you some mid air control. You know what else is a good way to give players mid air control? Giving players mid air control. Which Halo probably should have. 

Can you explain to me the difference between thrusting and strafing quickly.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, znot said:

Thats why jumping is better, you can telegraph it better. also if im strafing left and try to jump right mid strafe, ill just go straight up in the air. shit actually makes sense. There's momentum.. Not in h5. Sprint left/jump to the left THEN thrust right to fuck your opponent up every time no fail. Can ppl even react to that? I dont watch h5. Seems like it always throws ppl off when I watch.

I get destroyed every single time. Radar. AR. Thrust. Nah.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, znot said:

Can ppl even react to that? I dont watch h5. Seems like it always throws ppl off when I watch.

Pretty much every battle I watch goes like this.

Land 4 shots, thrust, hope you shoot your opponent before he shoots you because he is doing the exact same thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

Land 4 shots, thrust, hope you shoot your opponent before he shoots you because he is doing the exact same thing.

Halo 2/3 are both land 3 BR bursts, jump and hope you get your opponent before they get you.

But this still made me laugh.

7 hours ago, znot said:

ITS JUST AS BAD AS SPRINT. one shot? thrust behind the wall 5 feet to your left or right.  about to fall off the map? Thrust back onto that bitch somewhere

I wouldn't mind thrust too much if it wasn't so damn fast and instant. There's no telegraph to it. Also if you're strafing right and you thrust left, you should not go full distance left. You should go half of that distance because you were strafing in the opposite direction.

if the thrust had a slower time to activate, and it showed on your spartan that your thrusters were charging up before hand, like maybe a .2 second before... then mayyybe...

Still fucking hate the idea of it though.

Well In h5 when people thrust there’s like a sleight input delay or AA removal that prevents you from instantly tracking them as they thrust

6 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Thrust in mythic wasn't even a strafe so much as just giving you some mid air control. You know what else is a good way to give players mid air control? Giving players mid air control. Which Halo probably should have. 

Can you explain to me the difference between thrusting and strafing quickly.

What is mid air control? Im confused by that? Like can you give an example 

20 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Limited ability to strafe while airborne is what he is referring to, I believe.  If you’re in the air and push the stick left, you go left, just not as fast as on the ground.  That is a “soft” buff to aerial movement.  Here are some hard buffs:  

Armor Abilities - activated with the armor ability button 

Thrust, Evade, and Teleport all move the player horizontally.  Gravity Boots are the only vertical movement ability.  This AA allows the user to do three things with one button:  

1. High-jump 
  2. Hover 
  3. Ground-stomp 

The combination of High-jump and Ground-stomp can be used to cross large gaps, like from the roof of one building to another, moving the user in a ^ shaped trajectory.  

Aerial Enhancements - activated by the jump button while airborne 

Jetpack carries the user upward but makes noise and has limited fuel.  Glider carries the user forward, silently for an unlimited duration.  The user has greater control and maneuverability while gliding, able to steer himself like an aerial vehicle.  

Gravity Boots - quick up and down   

Jetpack - slow, gradual up 

Glider - forward 

How else do airborne players need to move? 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Arlong said:

1. How high are we talking here? You act like the game should be played at fucking 120+ fov when the most realistic is like 105 at best! 
2. They’re stretched the fuck out so the maps are BIG you fool! This makes the gameplay good for vehicles and gives infantry a chance at moving on the damn thing properly. There aren’t constant man cannons and teleport lees everywhere ! Many BTB maps could work with sprint and some did! H3 Valhalla which was a 1:1 remake in h4 played fucking great! Sprint didn’t ruin the map. Sprint hasn’t even made btb bad or anything and you act like it does for no reason than to hate sprint. This would be a compromise that would work for everyone! This wouldn’t split the fucking community either. The people who actually want sprint in halo would get it, and the people who don’t want it would also get it! The people who want no sprint halo(you me etc) play 4v4 more than anything, and that’s what most  care about. You’re a fucking lunatic how you praise h1 btb maps for their giant ness and think those play fine, when I know damn well sprint would make those he’ll of a lot more tolerable. 

Whatever not debating this since every time you come up with stupid arguments that are unrealistic AF.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Boyo said:

What do you think of the gun goose?  Is it an uninspired abomination that undermines the original purpose of a mongoose or does it genuinely fill a role that vehicular gameplay was lacking in?  Where else do you think vehicular gameplay is lacking and how could it be improved upon?  

From a strictly design standpoint, the Gungoose is a necessity for open maps, because the Mongoose, while granting you faster movement, completely erases any pressure you exert on the map until you dismount it, unless you have a heavily armed passenger.  (A passenger with starting weaponry is still exerting less pressure than a foot soldier with the same weapons would because of increased difficulty in aim/landing shots).  There's a little bit of a catch here, since as soon as you dismount your exerted pressure skyrockets because of positional advantages you can gain (especially if you Mongoose into the back of an undefended enemy base).

But for the time you're on the Mongoose and moving, you are just a moving target that is doing very little to gain ground regardless of the increased movement speed.  You're an e4 opening into e5 second move, you gained ground but gained no pressure anywhere else on the board, so you're just a hanging pawn.

The Gungoose is one path to mitigate this, allowing you to still be able to exert SOME pressure on an open map, (but solely for targets directly in front of you)...the alternate method of approaching this is to give better side routes for the Mongoose to take.  H3 Rat's Nest is a great example here since nearly all of the map's combat takes place in the kitchens and bridge/turret area, with a little bit outside tunnel/Snipe to get high ground control of center/enemy kitchens, but primarily, Mongooses allow you to take an outside path to get to the enemy base while being segregated from the rest of the battles.

The more I think about wall kicking, the less sure about it I am in an MP setting. Like, players using it to traverse the map could be problematic in a similar way that jetpack is. You're invalidating geometry on the map that's necessary for pacing. Plus you don't know when players are using it in such a way.

I don't know if it would be as bad as sprint or thrust but I can see it going badly.

5 hours ago, Arlong said:

Let's you change direction mid air by using the thumbstick just as you would on the ground. You can have it set to whatever you want, even high enough that you could change direction faster in air than you could on the floor. Halo is the opposite in that it's basically nonexistent, you have just enough to control to continue your current velocity or slow yourself down a little but nothing substantial. The big reason to not have air control is if you have a game with a lot of slow moving projectiles like Quake because you don't want it to be impossible to land shots on people in the air, but Halo is always usually hitscan to really fast projectiles so it would really just be a nice way of not making jump useless in combat without adding an entire mechanic in thrust, which has its own issues. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Doom has air control and it's fuckin awesome.

Honestly unplayable without it, feels so good.  First rune I unlocked. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Also some granularity on the jump in Halo would be awesome. Mario style where the longer you held the jump button the height you'd gain, Destiny actually does this as well but not many people notice. A quick tap of the button could be a very small baby jump similar to the crouch hop in Halo 4, anything longer than a frame for the input would be the full height so it doesn't interfere with basic inputs. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, MultiLockOn said:

Also some granularity on the jump in Halo would be awesome. Mario style where the longer you held the jump button the height you'd gain, Destiny actually does this as well but not many people notice. A quick tap of the button could be a very small baby jump similar to the crouch hop in Halo 4, anything longer than a frame for the input would be the full height so it doesn't interfere with basic inputs. 

A short duration jetpack that’s activated by the jump button while airborne would function similarly.  Keep holding the jump button after jumping to go higher.  

21 minutes ago, Boyo said:

A short duration jetpack that’s activated by the jump button while airborne would function similarly.  Keep holding the jump button after jumping to go higher.  

I'd rather deescalate the combat than push it further, which is what jetpack would do. Probably better to add skill in the low end than continue to raise the ceiling of what needs to be accounted for. 

On 3/27/2020 at 11:26 PM, Nokt said:

So don't bring it to the older consoles. Give them a set FOV. I'd also be in favor of just setting it to 90 FOV, but since O'connor said that Xbox One wouldn't be a "second class citizen" to the XSX is the exact reason I'm worried about this. I feel like were going to get stuck in 75 FOV again just to compensate for older hardware. 

Im pretty sure h5 is 90fov. 

A laugh because of how sad this is? Cause it isn't funny

18 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

I do, unfortunately.

Series got weird after the time skip

Oh you’re one of those.