CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

The reason headshot damage works on utility weapons is because getting them is entirely up to the users skill.

The autos are entirely random. Getting a headshot (i.e doing more damage) is a matter of chance. That's bad. Gunfights should not be decided by chance.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/multilockon/video/42266124

Aarlong I have never seen someone with such a ruthlessly poor understanding of game design.  I seriously can't help but down vote every opinion you put out. 

Because I’m not a gamer designer jackass. 
also what was wrong with those clips? You removed their shields and then finished with Ar. Was something supposed to be wrong there? 
I just give suggestions on what I would like for the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

The autos are entirely random. Getting a headshot (i.e doing more damage) is a matter of chance. That's bad. Gunfights should not be decided by chance.

Except that's not true... The AR in Halo 5 had perfect tap accuracy.  The first shot was always 100% straight, so a burst fire at the center of the body to drop shields, followed by a tap to the head was actually possible (and more efficient) than blind spraying.

Everyone just refused to accept that the weapon had some marginal degree of skill to its design for once.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Because I’m not a gamer designer jackass. 
also what was wrong with those clips? You removed their shields and then finished with Ar. Was something supposed to be wrong there? 
I just give suggestions on what I would like for the game.

The problem is that it's easier for me to clean up close-long range headshots with the AR, every single kill in that clip including the cross map one would've been more difficult to do with the pistol.  It means the AR is the "best" precision weapon in the game in a lot of ways - I shouldn't be able to rely on it like that.  In most circumstances you're better off just using it over the pistol.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

5 minutes ago, TiberiusAudley said:

The AR in Halo 5 had perfect tap accuracy.  The first shot was always 100% straight

That’s great and how it should be but is it really necessary for the AR to be headshot capable?  Part of the balance between the AR and the utility weapon is that the utility can kill faster than an AR with a headshot but slower with bodyshots.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

8 minutes ago, TiberiusAudley said:

Except that's not true... The AR in Halo 5 had perfect tap accuracy.  The first shot was always 100% straight, so a burst fire at the center of the body to drop shields, followed by a tap to the head was actually possible (and more efficient) than blind spraying.

Everyone just refused to accept that the weapon had some marginal degree of skill to its design for once.

I think the more notable issue beyond the RNG is that it just steps on the pistol's toe way too much now post update.  There are too many circumstances that you can outgun essentially any pistol fighter assuming they don't perfect you with pretty low effort. It's like 70% the same gun. I'd honestly rather they double the AR damage but cut the range to 20% of what it can do now.

• Downvote (-1) 1

2 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

The problem is that it's easier for me to clean up close-long range headshots with the AR, every single kill in that clip including the cross map one would've been more difficult to do with the pistol.  It means the AR is the "best" precision weapon in the game in a lot of ways - I shouldn't be able to rely on it like that.  In most circumstances you're better off just using it over the pistol.

The only kill that was a bit bs was the cross map kill which could be fixed through removal of smart scope. The pistol is still the better weapon 8/10 times. The ar being that strong isn’t bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

If you think the AR having headshot damage is okay, you might be an AR kid. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Arlong said:

The only kill that was a bit bs was the cross map kill which could be fixed through removal of smart scope. The pistol is still the better weapon 8/10 times. The ar being that strong isn’t bad. 

It is bad though.  The only chance you have with a pistol of beating me, an AR user, within 100 units, is if you perfect me.  If you miss one shot you're dead.  That is not the appropriate ratio of effort versus punishment.  It has way too much range, auto aim, and damage right now for what it is.  2 out of 3 traits I just named need to be severely dropped. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

3 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Here’s your sign.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

6 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Or you like how Destiny handles AR weapons.

• Downvote (-1) 2

The sad part is that I like autos and their portrayal in the series (at least the bungie games). 343 made me hate them.

• Downvote (-1) 2

6 minutes ago, Nokt said:

If you want an accurate automatic weapon, why not just design an accurate automatic weapon?  Why hide it behind ADS?  

• Downvote (-1) 2

13 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I'm not really sure that's a fair comparison. Every primary ammo type weapon, nitpicking and minutia aside, is technically a precision weapon. 

H5's problem is we have an AR with traditional auto traits, masquerading as a precision weapon. It has the strengths of both ease of use and ease of damage of an Auto, and the instant death potential and range of a precision weapon. It's madness.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

52 minutes ago, Boyo said:

That’s great and how it should be but is it really necessary for the AR to be headshot capable?  Part of the balance between the AR and the utility weapon is that the utility can kill faster than an AR with a headshot but slower with bodyshots.  

52 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

I think the more notable issue beyond the RNG is that it just steps on the pistol's toe way too much now post update.  There are too many circumstances that you can outgun essentially any pistol fighter assuming they don't perfect you with pretty low effort. It's like 70% the same gun. I'd honestly rather they double the AR damage but cut the range to 20% of what it can do now.

See, I'd rather they just remove the RNG -- the AR absolutely -should- be a headshot capable weapon...but I'm much more partial to mechanics like other games where recoil or kick exists.  I think the ingrained mentality that "only a single-shot precision weapon should be a precision weapon" in the Halo community is insane and I don't understand it at all.

The main thing that bothers me is that the energy shields in Halo have dampened headshot damage from all weapons except Sniper Rifles.

You could actually give all weapons the ability to deal more damage via headshots by just changing this dampening to be a flat per-bullet damage reduction.  It makes it so all players are encouraged to go for headshots for every shot (rather than the "3 to the chest, last to the head" safety-in-probability method -- and players who are using pistols, rather than ARs, would still win in an outright damage race.

(Note for next paragraph: numbers given are entirely arbitrary and not meant to reflect game state or suggested game state)

4 Precision Headshots at 25 damage a piece, with a 5 damage reduction for having shields turns into 20+20+20+25 versus 10 AR bullets at 10 damage a piece would turn into 5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5, leaving the player with 10 points of shields.  In both cases, 100 potential damage was dealt, but the AR player didn't even drop a theoretical 60 points of shields.

Then, imagine it's not headshots -- all of these damages are halved.  Pistol versus a body would be 12.5 x 4 = 50 damage.  AR versus Body would be 10 x 5 = 50 damage.  They turn out the same.

• Like (+1) 2

You are trying to blend roles when it's not only unnecessary but contrary to the sandbox philosophy the series was built on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Given how many weapons we have, making the AR a bloomless headshot weapon might work. Basically a full-auto pistol or the TU Reach Needle Rifle. But that begs the question why it needs to exist at all. Spawning with both would just be insanity. It's not really worth it as a pickup.

I still think the AR should just be the secondary. Take the H4 AR, give it faster swap times, faster melee and a bigger melee hitbox potentially. Turning it into a precision weapon just goes so much against what Halo has always done that it hurts. And ADS on an auto is just fucking weird.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

CE AR for damage profile, mag size, situational use and niche traits (quick camo, quicker/longer melee)
H4 range and bloom

There. Next weapon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

I’ve never advocated for an aR that’s like a precision weapon it just needs to be strong still. Halo is one of the only shooters where using anything but the starting weapon is wrong 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I’ve never advocated for an aR that’s like a precision weapon it just needs to be strong still. Halo is one of the only shooters where using anything but the starting weapon is wrong 

Well first of all that's not true. And even if that were true - that's hardly a bad thing when comparing to the alternative where skilless weapons are competing with skillful weapons. The more skillful gun should be better, that's all that matters at the end of the day. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

Well first of all that's not true. And even if that were true - that's hardly a bad thing when comparing to the alternative where skilless weapons are competing with skillful weapons. The more skillful gun should be better, that's all that matters at the end of the day. 

First of all it is true. And I don’t disagree with the more skillful gun being the strongest.  It’s just that I’d prefer we not kill half the play population because they feel that every weapon besides a power weapon is worth picking up. That’s all I’ve started talking about. The competitive players aren’t the only ones that exist. 
or that only one play style exist. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

the cycle continues...

I’m gonna whip you. I need you to know that 

• WutFace (+0) 1