CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

12 minutes ago, rprkjj said:

I feel like something resembling classic Halo much more faithfully than recent games would be relatively easy to make when compared to other "throwback" lo-fi passion projects you see popping up all the time in the indie scene, especially for shooters.  I know slipgate exists but I feel like that barely counts and the "halo-ness" of it takes a back seat to the central gimmick.  I have to imagine there's a sizable enough audience for a Halo CE clone/spiritual successor, it really seems like a gaping hole in all the new game releases and the huge wave of retro-shooter revivals we've gotten.

Well considering you don't even know the name of the game I'd say it's pretty unmemorable.

• Fire (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I can't aim in either H5 or Infinite so they're equally worthless in my eyes.

I can put you in touch with my good friend @Reamis25. He'll teach you this one weird trick with deadzones that will make 343 hate you.

• Simms (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, rprkjj said:

I feel like something resembling classic Halo much more faithfully than recent games would be relatively easy to make when compared to other "throwback" lo-fi passion projects you see popping up all the time in the indie scene, especially for shooters.  I know slipgate exists but I feel like that barely counts and the "halo-ness" of it takes a back seat to the central gimmick.  I have to imagine there's a sizable enough audience for a Halo CE clone/spiritual successor, it really seems like a gaping hole in all the new game releases and the huge wave of retro-shooter revivals we've gotten.

There are dozens of indie devs that could crank out a Halo style arena FPS in a year or two in Unreal Engine without even trying. The issue is based on the popularity and longevity it seems like a pointless exercise. It might have a good sized population for 2 weeks and then go down to literally zero players. There are plenty of Quake clones like Nexuiz, Xonotic and Warsow that have player counts in the double digits. We had Toxikk that was similar to UT2K4 which died in a month. Tribes: Ascend failed. There's really no reason to make a Halo clone, sell 50,000 copies and then no one ever hears about it again.

The other factor to consider is that Halo isn't only multiplayer. Many players came for the campaign and co-op and stayed for MP. A campaign on par with Halo just isn't possible for a small studio, especially one that incorporates huge open maps with AI enemies fighting each other and vehicles. Making a  small scale 4v4 focused Halo clone isn't hard, but now try to add all the crazy game type variations, vehicles, etc. A small studio would likely need to choose one or the other.

Many great games have not gotten the attention they deserved. Dirty Bomb is 10x better than Overwatch could ever hope to be and requires way more skill. Battlerite is essentially WoW arena with skill shots and no equipment grind. Instead we're left with fucking Battle Royale tournaments of all game genres...

The best hope for competitive Halo might be a pro mod. Even Quake and UT many tournaments used mods to make the game less random or improve some areas, however I'm not holding my breath on decent mod support, especially in a free to play MP game that literally relies on you NOT modding the game to buy cosmetic unlocks. If Halo 5 comes to MCC maybe a pro mod could be made for that?

2 hours ago, Hemlax said:

Can't compare with Xbox, but the issue with controller input for steam has been resolved.

Source? 

3 hours ago, Pyroteq said:

I know it's still a bit early and some people are still in the honeymoon phase right now, but how do people think this game compares to early Halo 5?

Halo 5 had one of the stronger weapon sandboxes, REQ variants notwithstanding.

Honestly that game's worst problems were resolved when they axed spartan abilities, but they just went full scorched earth about it, and cut all the good stuff too. In fact if 343 just wanted to be lazy, they could have released Halo Infinite with the exact same Forge mode has Halo 5 with zero changes and it would still launch to critical acclaim because it was there... at launch.

By the way, this is the last page of ranks for KBM. Yes, you are reading that right. There are seven players out of 8,134 who are ranked in Bronze. That is worse than the bottom 0.1%. XboxDroobey is, by a margin of three divisions, the worst KBM player in Halo.

REU75YP.png

• Like (+1) 5
  • Simms (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

14 hours ago, Basu said:

BTB in this game is without a doubt the worst it's ever been. Your starting weapons suck, most of the pickups suck (Has anyone ever picked up a Heatwave or Ravager or Disruptor and went "hell yeah"?), the maps are total ass and vehicles spawn at random. Vehicles also handle like shit and are way too fast, lmao is this a racing game now?
You can phase through teammates but the moment you touch someone with a mongoose it's a betrayal. "New engine" my ass, this is the same bug that H5 Warzone had.

Also regarding the alleged AR nerf: the game is balanced server side just like H4/5. So the weapon drills are different from MM games. According to youtube comments, the AR was always in the "nerfed" state in PvP even in the flights. All that changed is its behavior in weapon drills.

Idk I seem to put in work with the heatwave in arena so its probably just the big map that makes it suck in btb

3 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

By the way, this is the last page of ranks for KBM. Yes, you are reading that right. There are seven players out of 8,134 who are ranked in Bronze. That is worse than the bottom 0.1%. XboxDroobey is, by a margin of three divisions, the worst KBM player in Halo.

Living legend XboxDroobey

Same for Open (Crossplay):

There are 186 players out of 78,166 ranked in Bronze. That is the bottom 0.2% of the hopper. Player AMMONAL takes the prize for the absolute worst player in the largest hopper. Also of note is the size difference between KBM and Crossplay; 8,134 players vs. 78,166. KBM matchmaking is not long for this game I imagine, and no serious KBM players are going to bother trying to compete on crossplay in the game's current state. Competitive KBM play is dead before it starts, it seems.

Stk2adj.png

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

The funniest thing to me is that thrust now allows you to shoot. Meanwhile in halo 5, when it was a base trait, it stopped all offensive action.

• Like (+1) 8

As far as a competitive 4v4 game I'm not really mad at it. This is a good Halo game if you liked what we've been doing since 2004 for 4v4. I do think that we need more/better maps though. We're missing a guardian/lockout style oddball map and we're missing dual sniper maps for ctf and maybe slayer. You honestly could probably just pump some kind of Halo 2/3 throwback map pack into this game for a weekly event to fill in some holes and they'd play correctly in this sandbox for the most part. 343 pretty much threw us the 2 base ctf BR map and the stronghold maps for a full series rotation but we're missing a real better oddball map and we have no pit/narrows/sanc/coliseum style of ctf map at all

• Like (+1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

32 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

H5's sandbox was awful for 3 years before automatics were removed.

Their hearts were in the right place though. They just overdid it, and allowed that person to control the ENTIRE area the SMG and Storm Rifle spawned in, but they made map pickups worth grabbing and facilitated movement.

It's better than whatever Infinite is doing with the AR and sidekick is my point.

After the AR headshot multiplier nerf is when I started to not hate using the magnum. It started winning fights against the AR more, and the BR was slightly better than the Magnum but it wasn't an impossible feat to beat it, and the DMR's absurdly high magnetism made up for its slow killtime very often because it could headshot players mid-thrust. It was the only time I had seen all four weapons coexist like that and not really invalidate each other.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NavG123 said:

Same for Open (Crossplay):

There are 186 players out of 78,166 ranked in Bronze. That is the bottom 0.2% of the hopper. Player AMMONAL takes the prize for the absolute worst player in the largest hopper. Also of note is the size difference between KBM and Crossplay; 8,134 players vs. 78,166. KBM matchmaking is not long for this game I imagine, and no serious KBM players are going to bother trying to compete on crossplay in the game's current state. Competitive KBM play is dead before it starts, it seems.

You shut your mouth, it's the most fun I have in this game! Sad to see. 

@CyReN does Team Beyond have any inclination to doing interviews with Halo players? I believe at one point that was a thing. Lets get XboxDroobey and AMMONAL in here!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 1

13 hours ago, xSociety said:

Guys, calm down. The game is still in beta, wait for the full release. 

zmfOHGC.png

Does anyone else just look at the release as an unfinished release and not a beta prelease? Maybe its because of MCC or my opinion on 343 but i think they just didn't have it finished in time and decided to ship the multiplayer and just call it a beta lol.

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, xSociety said:

You shut your mouth, it's the most fun I have in this game! Sad to see. 

Agreed, I was disappointed too. Though the gap is not nearly as large for controller only. 21,335 players ranked, only about 2.6x as many as KBM. I suspect a lot of players just aren't bothering to change their MM hopper. If most KBM players knew how much of a disadvantage they were at in Crossplay, the KBM hopper might begin to rival the controller hopper.

Edit: By the way, the worst controller player is TheFowler.

• Like (+1) 4

I didn't notice this before, but AMMONAL is actually the worst player in the Crossplay hopper AND the second worst player in the Controller-only hopper. Wow!
Ip2MVLa.png

• Fire (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

A Though the gap is not nearly as large for controller only. 21,335 players ranked, only about 2.6x as many as KBM. 

Is that really all the people who have ranks (seems pretty low)? I thought for some of those sites someone has to search their name on it for it to count, but I guess 21k people actually playing the 10 placement matches wouldn't be too shocking. 

Also, for the people fallowing the player count, for the first time Infinite essentially didn't drop in peak players. 169k today compared to 171 yesterday. More people playing tonight at Midnight EST than yesterday as well (which may be a first). 

5 minutes ago, NAK said:

Is that really all the people who have ranks (seems pretty low)? I thought for some of those sites someone has to search their name on it for it to count, but I guess 21k people actually playing the 10 placement matches wouldn't be too shocking. 

Also, for the people fallowing the player count, for the first time Infinite essentially didn't drop in peak players. 169k today compared to 171 yesterday. More people playing tonight at midnight than yesterday as well (which may be a first). 

I thought so too at first but I began to look up random names in a few MM games I played and every single player showed up. Some of them would indicate the profile had "1 view" or "0 views". Also just to make sure that my act of searching for the account wasn't what was initiating stat-tracking of anyone's account, I just started clicking on random names that were already in the leaderboards and once again I am finding some with 1 or 0 views.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Gameplay aside I'm pretty annoyed by their battle pass/customization too. Its not really fun to use the same emblem/color scheme for something like 17 years and then not even be able to get pissed off about buying it because it actually just doesn't even exist 

• Like (+1) 1