CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

3 minutes ago, xSociety said:

I really like Insurgency Sandstorm but for the PvE stuff, gives me that old R6 Terrorist Hunt vibes. 

The first time I got suicide bombed was something else.

Good to hear. I'm currently reinstalling R6 Siege to see if I can white knuckle catching up to people who never stopped playing. If I can't, I'm going to try out Insurgency. I could really do with a good mid sized shooter. If I can't get into that game, I guess I'm just going to keep playing Apex until something new comes along, even though I'm fairly burnt out. Maybe I'll just reinstall BFV and play that until 2042 is in decent shape.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, potetr said:

Tbf most people probably have some fun, why would they stop and think about how the game could be more fun? To players who aren't as into Halo as us, the issues aren't obvious at all. 

Can't really blame them. Reddit itself is the problem, with its built in supression of even minor dissent.

Even the CoD community realizes when a game's balance is wack or core gametypes are missing. I thought we could hold the Halo community to the same standard, but apparently not. Do these people not realize that 2/3 of the sandbox is completely outclassed by the AR, that dying while trying to juggle your equipment for an OS and playing four gametypes on a pathetic amount of maps is not a good time?

Granted, the game is free and people are still in the honeymoon phase. But come on, a little critical thinking can be expected.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, xSociety said:

I really like Insurgency Sandstorm but for the PvE stuff, gives me that old R6 Terrorist Hunt vibes. 

The first time I got suicide bombed was something else.

Insurgency is the shit.

43 minutes ago, Hully said:

I swear I get on this game, play like 2-3 matches, and have literally zero desire to keep on playing. I genuinely have no idea how so many people seem to enjoy this mess. I'm like desperate for a new shooter but Infinite just isn't it. Have any of you playing Insurgency: Sandstorm? 

Yeah I have stopped trying even, I just wish I spawned with a gun to make some plays and kill people but we all know the story by now.
As for Sandstorm I have been thinking about it for a couple of weeks now but probably won't get it, playing Escape from Tarkov has ruined most other "tactical" shooters for me.

30 minutes ago, Hully said:

Good to hear. I'm currently reinstalling R6 Siege to see if I can white knuckle catching up to people who never stopped playing. If I can't, I'm going to try out Insurgency. I could really do with a good mid sized shooter. If I can't get into that game, I guess I'm just going to keep playing Apex until something new comes along, even though I'm fairly burnt out. Maybe I'll just reinstall BFV and play that until 2042 is in decent shape.

BF 2042 is probably never getting into a decent shape by my standards, sure they might fix bugs and add content but fundamentally since the BF3 and BF4 era Dice started chasing trends (sounds familiar right?) and it really shows ingame. 2042 is aimed at people from CoD and Apex (I guess you like Apex but questionable if you want your BF game to feel more like that): They added heros with cringy voice lines, eliminated the class system and squad teamplay which was core to the BF gameplay loop, added a wingsuit that makes you feel like iron man, sped up the movement to more than CoD levels with unrealistic sliding because the maps for 128 players are way too large and open, etc. Battlefield just lost its identity imo and some portal mode with 2.5 maps and guns from past Battlefield titles won't be the fix for it either, especially without persistent servers in the browser.

Not sure if you have considered yet but I would heavily recommend Escape from Tarkov, maybe wait until the next wipe which should be happening soon to start.
It's one of the best shooters out there because the devs don't try to appeal to any trends and just make the game they want to. Sure you have to be into the more realistic hardcore shooter playstyle (I personally wasn't for years, I played super fast games like Quake etc.) but you mentioning Sandstorm sounds like you might be willing to.
It's also refreshing to play games that do not cater to teenagers and casual couch potatoes. On top of that it comes with a super unique gameplay loop, it might be tough to start by today's standards but if you are fine with some challenge and can immerse yourself it's one of the best products out there by far.

• Fire (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Geaux Andrew said:

They're going to do something tricky to deter people from creating custom games with community-made Forge maps. Everyone must stay in matchmaking. They do not want Infinite to turn into a customs community. It cannot happen.

lol, you don't need to look hard... They've already done it. They're not releasing Forge for months after release... Who knows if they'll even stick to that time frame.

Plenty of time to get all the kids hooked on their battle pass and purchase the season 2 pass. Once the season 2 pass is out they've probably got most the money they can get from the whales and they no longer care about the remaining 50,000 peak player population.

At that point custom games isn't an issue for them and they leave the game on life support when Microsoft realises that few people are gonna spend hundreds of dollars dressing up a faceless spartan when the industry is full of weeb bait with cosmetics that are actually unique in some way and not just a slightly different angle on the chest plate and a different coloured visor.

Look at the Legendary skins in Overwatch and compare that to what Halo is offering. In Overwatch they have themed cosmetics, seasonal cosmetics, etc. You can get fire fighter outfits, bikinis, halloween skins, pretty much an infinite variety on top of different colour shades... Halo is offering a slightly different shade of blue and grey, plus your shoulders are slightly pointier. Wow, where do I sign up for the battle pass?

• Upvote (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

The thriving twitter casual community is now talking about gatekeeping cod players lmao

In what way exactly? 

2 hours ago, Geaux Andrew said:

Something we need to be concerned with. 343 has something in store for Forge/customs to cripple custom games. It doesn't make sense with their philosophy in Infinite.

• Pre-game and post-game lobbies are gone. You are connecting to a game with no list of players visible, play the game, and then it immediately ends. You even have to dig down in the menus to get to a scoreboard.
  • In-game voice is turned off by default.
  • There are no longer mic indicators when players are talking
  • The Battle Pass system depends on matchmaking, more-so for Infinite than other games due to challenges being the only way to progress in the battle pass

There are multiple reasons this could have been done.

1. Lobbies encourage friend-making and friends play custom games. Custom games can’t be controlled, thus it can’t be monetized.
  2. Lobbies encourage communication which may include trash talking. 
  3. In-game voice being turned off deters "randoms" outside of game chats/discord to communicate, thus possibly trash talk.

Regardless of why, the changes in the matchmaking process and in-game communication were implemented anyway.

Now what experience 100% grinds against this philosophy? Custom games. No matchmaking, sitting in lobbies, and talking everywhere.

It doesn't add up. I'm telling you. They're going to do something tricky to deter people from creating custom games with community-made Forge maps. Everyone must stay in matchmaking. They do not want Infinite to turn into a customs community. It cannot happen.

Alternate theory: all of that stuff is missing because they screwed up the development so bad over the last 6 years that they were scrambling and didn't have time to include these "extraneous" features.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

This game blows so far but I think Forge will be its saving grace. Even if 343 can’t be bothered to give us a single weapon suited for competitive play (Stalker Rifle overheats too fast, alas), I could entertain myself for years making fun minigames and Infection maps/variants. I think there is a handful of people at 343 who understand the importance of making a genuinely good experience that doesn’t directly give them income, and looking at Forge’s trend from H4 to H5, I’m optimistic.

As long as they don’t update Forge at some point to tank performance as a marketing campaign for the next Xbox generation. 

I think the cosmetic uproar is hilarious, but I honestly took one look at the menus to "customize" your spartan and they were so convoluted and confusing I just backed out. I will never look at them again. I played for 2 hours this past weekend, which was my first time with the game, and I have no desire to get back on. Spawning into each match immediately became "find a teammate and stick close to them". I am not an individual player in this game, I am just an interchangeable "teammate". I'll probably touch the game a few more times, but it's pretty sad how little interest I have remaining. 

• Like (+1) 5

I know it's still a bit early and some people are still in the honeymoon phase right now, but how do people think this game compares to early Halo 5?

It was so long ago, so my memory might be foggy (plus I had more time to play since I didn't have 3 children lol), but I think on release I was having much more fun in Halo 5, even despite the thrusters and ground pound and movement crap in the game. Hell the real reason I stopped playing Halo 5 was because it became impossible to find matches thanks to a low player pop in AU/NZ, a factor not helped when 343 FORCED region restrictions on us, not because I didn't have fun in it.

I could go into casual playlists and actually have fun since you spawn with a gun that can kill people more than 10 metres away. Warzone was a lot of fun at first (it eventually got ruined when people had over 9000 REQ cards farmed up and could call in a million Scorpions every game...) and the TTK's were much faster and I felt way more powerful as an individual.

In this game I feel absolutely worthless. Maybe I'm just getting too old for this shit or maybe I'm getting wrecked by kids on a 300hz gaming monitor and an RTX 3090 while I'm struggling to get decent frame timings but I just don't feel like I can have a strong impact on the game as an individual.

In Halo 5 we FINALLY had some sort of consistency between starting weapons in a Halo game we hadn't had since Halo 1. I can't believe 343 back flipped on this and decided to segment the player base again.

Now I go into casual playlists which not only have radar on, but I'm also spawned with a trash weapon. It's like playing a different game entirely. In Halo 5 I had to put up with radar in casual settings, but that's not so bad when you have a gun that can actually kill people across the map off spawn.

What's worse is that the only way to have fun in Halo Infinite is to play ranked games with BR starts. Don't feel like playing ranked because maybe you might get called away from the game or you just want to play with friends casually? Have fun with your assault rifle!

I also think Halo 5 had the better maps. I think Recharge is good in Halo Infinite, but maps like Streets, Aquarius and Bazaar just don't have enough long sight lines and too many 90 degree corners for players to hide in while Halo 5 had much more open maps.

That's not to say Halo Infinite doesn't have some good features. The repulsor is the closest thing we've had to Quake 3 style rocket jumping and I've already done some sick outplays using it and the grappling hook allows for some very creative plays, but overall I feel like Infinite might actually be worse than Halo 5. Infinite has potential, but it would require quite a few changes for me to feel like it's the better game and I really doubt 343 would be willing to do them.

As a note, I'm currently ranked Diamond 1 in Open and Solo/Duo using M/KB. Not a brag or anything since it seems pretty easy to get to Diamond, but I'm obviously not completely trash at the game, so it's not like I dislike the game because I'm bad at it. I think I had similar ranking in Halo 5, I might have been Onyx in the first season and I think I had a few Diamonds in later seasons when it became harder to get games.

• Upvote (+1) 3

1 hour ago, bebopbandit said:

Alternate theory: all of that stuff is missing because they screwed up the development so bad over the last 6 years that they were scrambling and didn't have time to include these "extraneous" features.

Both can be true

So I just started playing on PC with controller cause it looks like if you play on console you are at a serious disadvantage (imagine typing that for a Halo game lol)

Why is my reticle not turning red and why do I barely have auto aim? Is this a Steam/Xbox app issue? 

1 minute ago, Pyroteq said:

I know it's still a bit early and some people are still in the honeymoon phase right now, but how do people think this game compares to early Halo 5?

I greatly preferred H5. While you couldn't always engage in a pistol v pistol fight on launch because of autos, when it happened, I had fun. I never have fun in a BR fight in Infinite. Everything else, sprint, thrust, whatever, it's all secondary to me. If the individual fights aren't fun, then what's the point?

1 minute ago, Bxrz said:

So I just started playing on PC with controller cause it looks like if you play on console you are at a serious disadvantage (imagine typing that for a Halo game lol)

Why is my reticle not turning red and why do I barely have auto aim? Is this a Steam/Xbox app issue? 

It's a 343 issue, like all of them

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Bxrz said:

Launch the game in Big Picture Mode with a controller the whole time. Don't touch your Mnk during the whole process.

Infinite > H5 for me. Not going to type it all out on mobile but it's not close imo. I hated everything H5 stood for.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Bxrz said:

Can't compare with Xbox, but the issue with controller input for steam has been resolved.

Just now, Hemlax said:

Can't compare with Xbox, but the issue with controller input for steam has been resolved.

Frames win games boy

49 minutes ago, Bxrz said:

Why is my reticle not turning red

343 decided not to implement this on PC because they believed hackers would use the reticle turning red as an easy method of programming aim bots.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Pyroteq said:

I can't aim in either H5 or Infinite so they're equally worthless in my eyes.

I feel like something resembling classic Halo much more faithfully than recent games would be relatively easy to make when compared to other "throwback" lo-fi passion projects you see popping up all the time in the indie scene, especially for shooters.  I know slipgate exists but I feel like that barely counts and the "halo-ness" of it takes a back seat to the central gimmick.  I have to imagine there's a sizable enough audience for a Halo CE clone/spiritual successor, it really seems like a gaping hole in all the new game releases and the huge wave of retro-shooter revivals we've gotten.

• Like (+1) 2