CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

The biggest reason I'm grinding some ranked right now is to hit Onyx so I can avoid the "mad cuz bad" accusations 7 years from now from some Gold 3 player on reddit.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

It really shouldn't take over 10 minutes for a team in a 12v12 slayer game to get 100 kills, but that's usually what happens. I also had a 4v4 on Bazaar where my team needed all 12 minutes to get to 50 kills as we got the last kill as time expired. Default Infinite settings are the slowest and most boring matchmaking settings Halo has ever had, and it's mostly because of the sheer impotence of the weapons in the sandbox. Most weapons don't feel satisfying to use and the Sidekick is just plain ineffective. Not to mention, no matter how much I fiddle with the aiming settings, it always feels terrible.

The average BTB game lasts over 10 minutes and it seems like most players fail to get over 10 kills in that time frame. Are we really supposed to believe that the person who goes 6-7 in an 11 minute game collecting two power seeds is having fun? This game just isn't engaging and feels borderline devoid of action, and to the extent that there is action, it feels fundamentally unsatisfying.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I can't quote put my finger on it. Something just doesn't fit. It looks too modern or something. Halo 2 anniversary looks amazing. Maybe it's all the balconies and angled parts? idk

1200px-HINF_Multiplayer_Map_2021-2.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Little bit of an obnoxious level design critique from me here

Ignoring the fact that Bazaar clearly looks like random blocks that were skinned and not designed to be a city -  bazaars proportions and scaling is awful. The doorways are like 25 feet tall relative to you. The double doors guarding each base are like... 60 FEET at least. Outskirts smaller details like doors and individual floor heights actually look proper. I had to get a lot better at scaling stuff like this working on a particular military shooter and it's made the maps go from weird uncanny valley level design to actual realistic spaces. Like look how wide the stairs are onBazaar, they should be like half that. That archway on the left next to a 7 ft Spartan should be like a 2 story structure with this theme. 

Edit:

Asians and Africans are also shorter than Westerners on average, and ultra low income areas tend to have really low ceilings and uneven heights of floors of adjacent buildings. Bazaar legit looks twice as tall as it should and way too structured.  There's random designy crap like that little half ramp in that picture that makes no sense, it's just a gamey blockout. It looks worse and slightly off because it's in the uncanny valley. Theyre using photogrammetry and real textures and assets of high fidelity objects you'd find in a slum skinning hyper clean and massive structures with perfectly aligned floors and walls. 

Don't even get me started on the fact that they chose to skin a SYMMETRICAL map as a bazaar. When I say the word "bazaar" the most single defining characteristic of what you're thinking is that it's a chaotic random jumbled senseless place. Skinning a perfectly symmetrical map as a bazaar legit blows my freaking mind that is like the single attribute you should avoid for that theme. It feels like you're walking around in a dream when you look around that map. 

Also outskirts clearly looks like a futuristic city that has aged into what it is, the trapezoidal shapes and angles clearly have character and imply it used to be robust - even dignified, civilized. The detailing is what ages it and sets the tone of an abandoned metropolis. Bazaar just looks like random crap with nice textures and random assets from a modern day bazaar. Nothing characteristic or futuristic about it. BTW- this map theme was chosen by 343 but it was arted and outsourced to a Russian team. Doesn't really look like the rest of the maps in the palette. 

• Like (+1) 6

I do feel bad for the dude as he puts a lot of effort into his halo content, also guys like Favyn (who even though I love, he has been brutal over the years) got a code lmao 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NAK said:

I am in the same boat. I keep seeing Diamond 3 thrown around as well actually. Seems like it might be a rank where a good chunk of people end up. 

The ranked system is hella confusing. I think it cares more about personal stats and accolades, vs wins and objective play? I can't ever actually tell, because losing also doesn't seem to really even impact you? It's very confusing. 

Also, judging by the caliber/quality of players I see in Diamond/Onyx, i'm convinced it's not really a gauge of skill or anything. I can't even imagine how someone gets ranked gold or lower. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shekkles said:

with the BR's 2 week holiday between shots, it makes for an extremely frustrating experience. I would say 50% of potential kills run around corners before the 4th burst gets off.

Finally tried playing ranked for the first time today and yeah the BR fights in this game are obnoxiously tedious. Both the 3 individual bullets in a burst and time between the bursts take forever. It feels so unresponsive and clunky AF especially in CQC duels. I want the fast and aggressive feel of the H2C BR (not counting combos) and MCC's rapid-fire H4 BR so bad right now.

3 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

BR battles are fucking shit in this game, it comes down to who saw who first the vast majority of the time and I'm ALWAYS getting cleaned up by a 3rd man in.

BR battles, or any battle really. No such thing as reshielding when your guns take seemingly 6 months to kill letting enemies have more than plenty of time to cry for help and have their teammates move in, start a family, retire, and finally decide to casually look in your direction for easy picks.

2 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Why do I feel noticeably more powerful in halo 3 than I do in infinite.

They took one of the worst things about the most popular Halo and dialed it up to 11. Never thought the day would come where I hope for even H3's low levels of lethality. THAT is bad... I'll never understand how people can like so much teamshot dependance. I feel utterly powerless in Infinite. I absolutely detest the idea of having to accept that the best way to play is simply put 2 shots into someone then hide to let a teammate finish them. Getting tunnel vision on enemies by simply trying to finish my own kill is getting me killed so much in Infinite.

53 minutes ago, Hully said:

You're either playing BR's on atrocious maps or you're playing AR starts BTB, that's really what this game comes down to. Because of the nature of having to cross my fingers and hope I can grab a BR off spawn, I find myself playing like a coward. I don't push things that I normally would in other games, because I don't want to die and find out that the BR is on cooldown.

Yeah. I appreciate how they've designed the BTB maps to try and funnel players into the AR's range, but starting with only that and a Sidekick is just not fun. Either camp or spend most of each match sprinting across the map to FINALLY get within range to fight players, only to meet at least 5 players all of a sudden crawling out of the woodwork and get destroyed by un-counterable teamshot instantly. No real flow to it and I can't stand that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, TI Inspire said:

Default Infinite settings are the slowest and most boring matchmaking settings Halo has ever had, and it's mostly because of the sheer impotence of the weapons in the sandbox. Most weapons don't feel satisfying to use and the Sidekick is just plain ineffective.

Yeah. It is so unfortunate because, especially with a lot of the alien weapons, actually seem cool, unique, and interesting this time around compared to the over-redundancy of prior games. Funny, even with the intention of 'scavenging for better weapons' it often just feels like there is no point most of the time. And that kills much of the fun I could have in this sandbox. Though it looks like it may turn out great for campaign. We shall see.

10 hours ago, TI Inspire said:

The axial deadzone is literally there to help you, as it makes it much easier to move your reticle in a straight horizontal line. A center deadzone is also necessary because not all of your slight inputs are desirable, for example, with a center deadzone of 0 the position that you put the joystick in with the intent of not triggering reticle movement may be slightly off resulting in unwanted input.

A lot of people have convinced themselves that deadzones are bad entirely and I just don't think that is even remotely the case.

I saw 100% improvement the second I turned that off.

What it's supposed to do is irrelevant. This is afterall, the developer who made the start button an integral part of aiming in it's last release.

• Simms (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1

its funny how I like basically the idea of the gameplay hate the execution , at least in social

br feels good, most of the new weapons feel appropriate or unique, etc

but good lord stuff like the starting social weapons, radar distance relative to how far you can get blained by an auto, weird spawns that flip even when you're blocking, 

and some just straight up bad maps that have no business being in halo like fucking bazaar and behemoth in ranked 

4 hours ago, NAK said:

I am in the same boat. I keep seeing Diamond 3 thrown around as well actually. Seems like it might be a rank where a good chunk of people end up. 

In H5 Menke made Diamond 3 the highest rank you could place straight out of placement matches. Given that 343 apparently fucked around for 6 years instead of working on the game, they probably copy pasted the same code.

1 hour ago, TI Inspire said:

It really shouldn't take over 10 minutes for a team in a 12v12 slayer game to get 100 kills, but that's usually what happens. I also had a 4v4 on Bazaar where my team needed all 12 minutes to get to 50 kills as we got the last kill as time expired. Default Infinite settings are the slowest and most boring matchmaking settings Halo has ever had, and it's mostly because of the sheer impotence of the weapons in the sandbox. Most weapons don't feel satisfying to use and the Sidekick is just plain ineffective. Not to mention, no matter how much I fiddle with the aiming settings, it always feels terrible.

The average BTB game lasts over 10 minutes and it seems like most players fail to get over 10 kills in that time frame. Are we really supposed to believe that the person who goes 6-7 in an 11 minute game collecting two power seeds is having fun? This game just isn't engaging and feels borderline devoid of action, and to the extent that there is action, it feels fundamentally unsatisfying.

I've noticed this too. Slayer matches take fucking FOREVER in this game, often coming close to the time limit.

Hey guys random question here. 

Currently I'm just playing on a OG Xbox One, will the Series S handle Halo Infinite? I'm somewhat tight on money so getting an X right now is out of the question. 

6 minutes ago, Basu said:

In H5 Menke made Diamond 3 the highest rank you could place straight out of placement matches. Given that 343 apparently fucked around for 6 years instead of working on the game, they probably copy pasted the same code.

I've noticed this too. Slayer matches take fucking FOREVER in this game, often coming close to the time limit.

Where's that video of a Halo 4 semi-pro match ending at 0-0 in regulation?

11 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

Hey guys random question here. 

Currently I'm just playing on a OG Xbox One, will the Series S handle Halo Infinite? I'm somewhat tight on money so getting an X right now is out of the question. 

It'll handle it fine. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I just checked out the battlepass and like… 90% of the free content is just challenge swaps? So I can swap challenges to help me level up to earn another challenge swap? The execution of this game is beyond terrible. I wonder if anyone at 343 is proud of this?

I actually feel like reachs dmr even with all it's bloom is more fun and intuitive than the pistol or commando. Thing about large bloom is I know exactly when my shot is fucked. With the other two I'm expected to spam but if I do that it it's harder to read what bloom is doing to the shots.

• Like (+1) 4

I've noticed in Ranked people rarely even bother to pick up the Commando, I certainly never do. The nerf ruined the viability of that weapon. Maybe it is still useful with mouse aiming, but it is just frustrating on controller. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, NAK said:

I've noticed in Ranked people rarely even bother to pick up the Commando, I certainly never do. The nerf ruined the viability of that weapon. Maybe it is still useful with mouse aiming, but it is just frustrating on controller. 

I will tell you as a PC player I will only pick it up to replace my pistol. It will lose to an AR in most medium-range fights, and every single time in a close range fight.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Basu said:

Untrue i placed diamond 6 my first h5 placement Kappa

2 minutes ago, Killmachine said:

Untrue i placed diamond 6 my first h5 placement Kappa

It was changed after people got to champ simply for being the first to play a new playlist lol. The H5 ranking system underwent a lot of changes with Menke. Although I never played much of it, the development and his forum posts were pretty interesting.

Still pretty sad he doesn't understand the importance of party restrictions though.