CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

42 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

In America when we tell someone to fuck off, it means something differently 

Bro I'm french

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

This reads weird considering I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the users on this forum are American. 

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Stephander said:

This reads weird considering I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the users on this forum are American. 

You'd be surprised. There's plenty of Australians here apparently, me included.

3 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Posts like this are why 343 don't come here any more.

• Toxic (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

After all these posts lately, I may not come here any more for like 3 days.  Y'all need to get it together.  

I come here for the Lols

I come here out of habit.

Open browser. navigate to TB. See conversation is a dumpster fire. Close TB.  Instinctually re-open TB. Fuck it. Engage in dumpster fire conversation. Immediately feel like a dirty old whore and self-flagellate. Repeat.

• Like (+1) 5

The first step to breaking the addiction is to admit you have one.

The second, more difficult step, is to ask for help. Not many people reach this step.

I don't need help. Im totally in control. I CAN QUIT AT ANY TIME.  @ me i won't even reply bitches!

5 hours ago, Stephander said:

I'm a Cuban living in Costa Rica 

• Fire (+1) 1

What are people's predictions about 343 sticking to the "10 year plan?" I can see them giving up on it once population fades and start working on the next game. E3 2023 will have the first teaser.

2 minutes ago, Basu said:

What are people's predictions about 343 sticking to the "10 year plan?" I can see them giving up on it once population fades and start working on the next game. E3 2023 will have the first teaser.

I think in the scenario that actually happens it won't be them making the next game. I do expect them to support the game for 5+ years.

Just now, NAK said:

I think in the scenario that actually happens it won't be them making the next game. 

People have been saying this since 2014 and I just don't see it happening. 343 leadership probably has strong ties with Microsoft. If the unholy trinity of H4/MCC/H5 and the endless delays for Infinite did not make them drop 343 then nothing will.

I meant that for them to drop Infinite after only a few years it would have to perform so horribly that they would let another studio make/lead the next game (out of necessity if nothing else), even if they didn't remove 343 entirely. I don't actually see that happening though, so I do personally expect them to support the game for at least 5 years. 

I think if they get something even remotely close to Destiny's current player base, which I think is reasonable, it'll be worth it financially for them. They want as close to quarterly content as possible in order to drive and maintain Gamepass subscriptions. Even if there are major shifts within the game, as with Destiny over the years, I expect them to keep the Infinite label and continue to make content for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Basu said:

Maybe half that. Maybe. 

Obviously it depends on not only the launch reception of Infinite, but if a sustainable population sticks around for years. Obviously being F2P will help with that, but only quality gameplay and incentives will keep people loyal in the long run. By Incentives I mean cosmetics because half of what keeps people playing games nowadays is arbitrary cosmetic rewards. If Infinite follows the precedents set by Halo 4 and Halo 5, where the games come out and are popular, but both public interest and population take sharp nose dives within the first 6 months to a year, I can't see 343 or Microsoft holding to a 10 year plan for a game that nobody gives a fuck about anymore. Maybe they try to hook people back with a massive expansion, or some sort of nostalgia bait playlist for all the people who grew up on the original trilogy, but those would just be putting a band-aid on a fatal wound. I think the fate of the "10 year plan" will be decided in the first 6 months. Personally with what the flight was like, and just having seen how 343 handles their games post launch, I can't see it happening. 

45 minutes ago, NAK said:

I meant that for them to drop Infinite after only a few years it would have to perform so horribly that they would let another studio make/lead the next game (out of necessity if nothing else), even if they didn't remove 343 entirely. I don't actually see that happening though, so I do personally expect them to support the game for at least 5 years. 

I think if they get something even remotely close to Destiny's current player base, which I think is reasonable, it'll be worth it financially for them. They want as close to quarterly content as possible in order to drive and maintain Gamepass subscriptions. Even if there are major shifts within the game, as with Destiny over the years, I expect them to keep the Infinite label and continue to make content for it. 

The major difference is that Halo is not designed the way that Destiny is designed. Halo doesn't have the equivalent to dungeons, raids, daily quests, crafting etc. Destiny to the casual player basically offers the same type of pvp matchmaking that Halo does and its also an MMO at the same time. They have goals and things to really progress towards and do and activities to repeat weekly where in Halo you just get cosmetics and pvp. Halo would have to be substantially better on the PvP end to really hold people the same way. They don't have remotely as many hooks to convince someone to log back in tomorrow or when the game resets next week like Destiny does they just have f2p advantages but, if we're being honest, probably a lower quality game.

Basically Destiny should beat the brakes off of Infinite if they manage to make the game appealing/worth playing to people because they're equipped with a thousand reasons for a player to choose to keep getting on Destiny instead of trying another game and Halo doesn't come with any of that. The biggest thing in favor of Infinite is that Destiny 2 is well past its prime 

40 minutes ago, NAK said:

The thing is, the 10 year plan isn't massively advertised. They just dropped it in an interview here and there.

Will it be financially worth it? The game allegedly cost half a billion to produce and is F2P, plus campaign is free on gamepass. I know cosmetics are all the rage now, but I kind of doubt the average user spends more than 60$ on cosmetics. Who know maybe gamers are that dumb nowadays, but I just don't see it.

18 minutes ago, Hully said:

Maybe half that. Maybe. 

Obviously it depends on not only the launch reception of Infinite, but if a sustainable population sticks around for years. Obviously being F2P will help with that, but only quality gameplay and incentives will keep people loyal in the long run. By Incentives I mean cosmetics because half of what keeps people playing games nowadays is arbitrary cosmetic rewards. If Infinite follows the precedents set by Halo 4 and Halo 5, where the games come out and are popular, but both public interest and population take sharp nose dives within the first 6 months to a year, I can't see 343 or Microsoft holding to a 10 year plan for a game that nobody gives a fuck about anymore. Maybe they try to hook people back with a massive expansion, or some sort of nostalgia bait playlist for all the people who grew up on the original trilogy, but those would just be putting a band-aid on a fatal wound. I think the fate of the "10 year plan" will be decided in the first 6 months. Personally with what the flight was like, and just having seen how 343 handles their games post launch, I can't see it happening. 

Exactly my thoughts. If a game with this much development cost isn't holding a population (very likely) and thus cash flow from MTX, then there will be budget cuts pretty quickly and the game will be left on life support just like H5 after 2016.

13 minutes ago, Basu said:

People have been saying this since 2014 and I just don't see it happening. 343 leadership probably has strong ties with Microsoft. If the unholy trinity of H4/MCC/H5 and the endless delays for Infinite did not make them drop 343 then nothing will.

I always find these "Drop 343" arguments to be kind of silly.  Most of the people there are just knuckledraggers that come in and do what they are told and go home. Lots of contractors too.  You could make 343 be an essentially brand new studio by replacing less than 10 people.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Destiny 2 hasn't even hit 5 years yet and I can't see it lasting another 5 years.  Maybe 2 or 3. 

With that said, I can't see Infinite being nearly as successful as Destiny2.  D2 being a lootter shooter, it is innately more addictive. But maybe I will be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

Infinite can sustain itself through reintroductions of classic weapons, map remakes, and returning modes. It can go further with new maps, new modes, and a Battle Royale. But it can go really far if Forge is used to disperse a wide assortment of custom content.

It all depends on both 343 and the Forge community to get all their ducks in a row.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Infinite can sustain itself through reintroductions of classic weapons, map remakes, and returning modes. It can go further with new maps, new modes, and a Battle Royale. But it can go really far if Forge is used to disperse a wide assortment of custom content.

It all depends on both 343 and the Forge community to get all their ducks in a row.

I would prefer dev maps. 

Forge maps tend to look like shit. 

• Like (+1) 1