CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

5 minutes ago, l1nk22 said:

While those things are certainly true, the Halo Infinite screenshot was supposed to be 343's big reveal. And as Hully said this is from 2020, but you know 343 specifically choose to show off this at E3 because they thought it would wow everyone when in fact it was beyond lackluster. 

I don't try to deny any of this. It's just showing reference with no value is exactly what 343 would do.

Halo 3's visuals look nice for a few reasons:

- Heavy use of sharply contrasting, saturated colors.

- Vibrant natural/dynamic lighting and perfectly tuned levels of bloom. 

- Levels with excellent artistic inspiration and presentation. You can go into every single level in the game and find several areas that look like they were designed purely so that the player could marvel at how pretty they were. You don't even have to diverge from a normal playthrough and find some weird spot to marvel at the view, most of these are encountered naturally through gameplay. The whole game is also filled with a variety of natural vistas and beautiful alien interiors. 

- Detail added to 3D structures is fine and usually pertains to textures and shaders, rather than with the intent of making the actual silhouette or model more complex. 

- The ambient lighting from the weapons and projectiles in darker environments. 

- Some of the prettiest skyboxes in any video game. 

Gameplay >>> presentation anyday, but the reason that I thought H3's campaign was as good as it was probably had a lot to do with aesthetics, soundtrack, and overall game presentation. 

I feel like H2A's campaign carries over some of these aspects but it goes a little overboard with the fine detail on some interior sections. Also, it has that awful nu-Halo stainless steel look to all the Forerunner structures instead of the burnished grey from CE or H3. It doesn't matter that much for the latter because Halo 2 had great presentation as well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

The first thing I see in those screenshots is actually the HUD. Halo 3 had the best HUD by far. Especially the radar: jus flat shapes--no unnecessary lines, not even an outline. Everything has its place and is understood at a glance. Really the HUD is case enough for 343 just not understanding what works and what doesn't.

7 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Halo 3's visuals look nice for a few reasons:

I big part for me was someone somewhere just went "fuck it, everything looks shiny and new. We're going with that and we're owning it."

And boy did they own it. Game's art directions hold up because of how well unified it is. It's fantasy enough to avoid ageing through "lack of realism" and focused enough to shine where it needs to.

8 hours ago, l1nk22 said:

While those things are certainly true, the Halo Infinite screenshot was supposed to be 343's big reveal. And as Hully said this is from 2020, but you know 343 specifically choose to show off this at E3 because they thought it would wow everyone when in fact it was beyond lackluster. 

Isn't it pretty much known that they slapped that demo together in a few weeks because they had quite literally nothing else to show at E3?

12 hours ago, znot said:

as someone else said earlier, bungie knew where to focus their art and details and where not to focus much... Notice how every halo redditor bitches about lord hoods face/humans faces in general in h3...

that's literally the only thing they can bring up about h3 looking bad. Nothing else, they have no other ammo... human faces you don't even see much, save for the few cutscenes... 

So yeah while bungie didn't give two shits about faces... they sure made a hell of a game that's still being played in 2021... maybe they focused in the right areas?

I think one of Bungie's big plusses is they understand the limitations of the hardware and seem to take that into account early. And they don't apologize for it.  Destiny looks great, and it runs at 30 FPS on older consoles. Why? because it has to to look good.  Seems like they made this decision early and worked with it.  On older consoles are there any 30 fps games where the aiming feels so good? I think not. 

Contrast that to 343 where for damn sure the primary limiting factor for not having split screen in Halo 5 was this 60 fps target.  They should have KNOWN from day 1 that was unattainable, made peace with that and worked with it instead of trying to figure it out later. If the had just decided from the get go that split screen was going to be 30 fps it would probably be in the game. Bungies performance targets seems to center around the player feel and experience, 343s performance targets seem to center around cool sounding technology stats.

343: "60 fps, physical based rendering and dynamic resolution scaling! (our aiming will be shit though and everything will look like plastic.)"

Bungie: "30 fps sorry we need that to look good. This will be the best 30fps aiming you have ever felt"

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

I think one of Bungie's big plusses is they understand the limitations of the hardware and seem to take that into account early. And they don't apologize for it.  Destiny looks great, and it runs at 30 FPS on older consoles. Why? because it has to to look good.  Seems like they made this decision early and worked with it.  On older consoles are there any 30 fps games where the aiming feels so good? I think not. 

Contrast that to 343 where for damn sure the primary limiting factor for not having split screen in Halo 5 was this 60 fps target.  They should have KNOWN from day 1 that was unattainable, made peace with that and worked with it instead of trying to figure it out later. If the had just decided from the get go that split screen was going to be 30 fps it would probably be in the game. Bungies performance targets seems to center around the player feel and experience, 343s performance targets seem to center around cool sounding technology stats.

343: "60 fps, physical based rendering and dynamic resolution scaling! (our aiming will be shit though and everything will look like plastic.)"

Bungie: "30 fps sorry we need that to look good. This will be the best 30fps aiming you have ever felt"

I don't even think good aiming is something that developers decide to work towards as like something that is optional in an FPS I think you just have some developers that are totally lacking in either talent or management and they fail to meet that bar while pretty much everyone else succeeds. The terrible aiming fps is the exception reserved for developers who really are just fucking up

1 hour ago, Hully said:

“The last time we did a Splinter Cell, we had lots of pressure from all the fans actually saying, ‘Don’t change it, don’t do this, don’t do that,’ so some of the teams were more anxious to work on the brand."

What did you do to them? :simms:

Call of duty, destiny, and other games have some of the best aiming inputs out there. It’s a shame 343 can’t seem to replicate this. Idk if it’s a talentless issue, or an engine. Halo infinite isn’t Snappy. You see people complaining about the fast AF strafe, and YET there’s games with similar fast strafe like overwatch, apex and no one bats an eye. Want to know why? Because it’s not too ridiculously difficult to hit someone in those because the aiming inputs are AMAZING. Tracking, snapping etc. controller and mouse and key is amazing. 343 seems to fail in the Snappiness department. Modern aiming in mcc is awesome and yet 343 can’t patch that over to infinite. Who is in charge of aiming over there, are they dumb? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Call of duty, destiny, and other games have some of the best aiming inputs out there. It’s a shame 343 can’t seem to replicate this. Idk if it’s a talentless issue, or an engine. Halo infinite isn’t Snappy. You see people complaining about the fast AF strafe, and YET there’s games with similar fast strafe like overwatch, apex and no one bats an eye. Want to know why? Because it’s not too ridiculously difficult to hit someone in those because the aiming inputs are AMAZING. Tracking, snapping etc. controller and mouse and key is amazing. 343 seems to fail in the Snappiness department. Modern aiming in mcc is awesome and yet 343 can’t patch that over to infinite. Who is in charge of aiming over there, are they dumb? 

The worst part of it is... they have replicated it.  Halo 4 was fine.  The Halo 5 beta was fine.  MCC's "Modern" aiming is actually good. That's what blows my mind.  What is the difference? Why are Halo 5 and Infinite different?  Every CoD game i have played, from 3 different developers for the last 10 years have all felt the same to aim in.

I understand that QA'ing aiming can be hard for the simple reason that for a person to be able to tell there is a problem they have to be fairly skilled and sensitive to that.  You can't "learn" that.  How many testers at 343 are 50's (or diamond 3's or whatever the fuck lol) and have played 10's of thousands of matches of Halo and other console shooters?  I would bet not many.  meanwhile what percentage of this forum falls into that category? 90%? There are certain things where "the data" can't tell you what the answer is, and this is one of them. When they're pushing back about the aiming, im sure they are looking at the input processing pipeline and going "total placebo, there is nothing wrong" and just not trusting the experiences of the players.  If i had $1 for every time a dev told me "none of my code touched that so it shouldn't be a problem" but it was in fact a problem, i would be able to afford a 24 hour bender at a strip club.

• Like (+1) 1

Wake me up when 343 fixes the BR's TTK without adding spread/bloom/reducing magazine capacity for 'balance'

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 3

1 hour ago, hvs500 said:

It's been 22 hours since the last post. Not even reamis has posted. Wake up people. 

There is nothing to discuss.  The honeymoon is over and we aint even married yet. Can we call this thing off?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hvs500 said:

It's been 22 hours since the last post. Not even reamis has posted. Wake up people. 

halo infinite dead before it even released

2 hours ago, hvs500 said:

Has someone alerted police? Clearly something is amiss. 

• Simms (+1) 2

I don't want to talk about Halo anymore. What did you guys think of Dune?

Just now, Shekkles said:

Can't wait for Generic Ubisoft Open World Game #46

Hi @Shekkles, glad you could make it to the thread today. I had a quick question!

If someone in this thread were to say:

FUCK YOU you smug motherfucker fuck off i hate you

Would this warrant some manner of moderator response and/or warning points applied to the offending account?

Thanks!

-NavG

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/18/2021 at 9:34 PM, _Synapse said:

- Detail added to 3D structures is fine and usually pertains to textures and shaders, rather than with the intent of making the actual silhouette or model more complex. 

this is actually an area 343 is following with infinite or at least for the forerunner artstyle. It's not super 3d modeled anymore. it's just modeled in certain areas and wrapped with nice texture that has parallax occlusion/tessellation.

I was actually happy to see a return to this form again. 

5 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

Wake me up when 343 fixes the BR's TTK without adding spread/bloom/reducing magazine capacity for 'balance'

Have a nice eternal sleep 

• Fire (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

Was that a death threat?

Did you see what he asked for? No way 343s doing any of that. So he’ll be asleep FOREVER